• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

HUGE, MEANINGFUL comeback win for Xavier

Impacts GU v RPI top 50 a couple of ways. Oral Roberts (who has a win over X) had dropped to 51 -- this will move them up. X had dropped to 58 - this will move them up with a chance to move even higher. It's possible for GU to get 6 Top 50 wins with X's gutty comeback tonight.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.
  • madness
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

Agreed, a huge game! Especially since Notre Dame didn't do us an favors by getting whooped by the Ville.
    You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
    http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

ND was at #37 and will still be around #40 after their loss -- so they weren't in danger of costing GU a Top 50 win. OTOH, ORU and/or X slipping back into the Top 50 would be huge and meaningful.
      sigpic
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
        ND was at #37 and will still be around #40 after their loss -- so they weren't in danger of costing GU a Top 50 win. OTOH, ORU and/or X slipping back into the Top 50 would be huge and meaningful.
        As of right now ORU is #49 and Xavier is #54. I think if X can beat St louis and the game after, they might get there. But if they do, they will move out ORU because ORU lost to W. Ill.

I would like to think it possible we get a 6 seed by some miracle.
        “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
          As of right now ORU is #49 and Xavier is #54. I think if X can beat St louis and the game after, they might get there. But if they do, they will move out ORU because ORU lost to W. Ill.

I would like to think it possible we get a 6 seed by some miracle.
          Not sure what ORU's loss to W. Ill 4 days ago has to do with anything -- and any X win will continue to improve ORU's RPI as ORU has a win over X. ORU doesn't have many opponents still playing.

Zags aren't that far off of a 6 and while I'd also like to see it happen -- I'm thinking a solid 7 (but I've been wrong with "projections" before).
          sigpic
          ——-

Comment

• caduceus
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Xavier is pretty much a lock for top 50. Live-RPI lists them at 45 at this minute. Sadly, ORU is at 50, and likely to settle around 52 or 53 (but you never know).

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

what's that address, cad?
              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• caduceus
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                what's that address, cad?
                Live NCAA Basketball RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) Updates - Up to the Minute, Free

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Thank you.
                  But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• SWZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

If X beats St. Louis, that would boost GU while pushing UW down a little bit more, as St. Louis beat UW earlier this season....

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• MickMick
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

If I am on the selection committee, does 52 look that much worse than 50?

If it comes down to splitting hairs, if I am comparing two teams as opposed to a group of teams, is 50 a magical threshold that defines an extreme difference from 51?
                      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                        If I am on the selection committee, does 52 look that much worse than 50?

If it comes down to splitting hairs, if I am comparing two teams as opposed to a group of teams, is 50 a magical threshold that defines an extreme difference from 51?
                        They aren't "lumped" that way vis a vis a team's profile. I'm sure they can drill down if needed, but I for one am glad that as of this morning, Oral Roberts sits at 50 and Xavier sits at 44. X will stay in top 50 win or lose -- ORU probably only stays in top 50 if X beats SLU.
                        sigpic
                        ——-

Comment

• DZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Sep 2007

Didn't ND, who was a six seed "projection" do us a favor by losing to 'Ville by providing another space "up"? And, doing so w/o dropping their RPI?

Second, sure feels weird cheering for X to win.

I went to the ORU game, I thought "another cupcake to get us ready for BIS" - who would have thought that that very close game (I think we won by four but were up all game) would count as much as it did now?

I would be sweet if both X and ORU managed to sneek into the top 50.
                          Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                          Mark Twain.

Comment

• madness
                            Bleeds GU Blue
                            • Feb 2007

Just found the Xavier game and currently toggling between it and Duke...Xavier fighting to close this one out!
                            You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
                            http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

Comment

• awberke
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Jan 2010

Big win for Xavier against St. Louis 71-64, they'll play against St. Bonaventure in the finals. SB is a #4 seed and Xavier is the #2. A win in the finals would be big for our resume.

If Arizona wins the Pac12 tourney that just adds another tourney team to our win column. They won't make it to Top 50 RPI but it sure can't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X