Flathead High School schedule:

This Friday--

4:30pm at The Warehouse, Court #2.

Saturday--

9:30am at The Warehouse, Court #3.
    11:50am at Gonzaga Prep, Court #1.
    4:30pm at Gonzaga Prep, Court #2.

Enjoy!
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    Flathead High School schedule:

This Friday--

4:30pm at The Warehouse, Court #2.

Saturday--

9:30am at The Warehouse, Court #3.
    11:50am at Gonzaga Prep, Court #1.
    4:30pm at Gonzaga Prep, Court #2.

Enjoy!
    Bump. For all you who are jonesing for Zag hoops of the future.

Comment

• ZagNut08
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

someone should take some video/pics with a camera while they are there

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Any first hand reports from the game this afternoon?

Comment

• HillBillyZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Brock's 4:30 game on #2 court.

The game was pretty much a mismatch with the Lakeland team outsized and outplayed. I forget the final, I was paying more attention to B.O. then the score. I know the Braves won by more than 20. He had several nice defensive plays in the paint and for a kid thats just going to be a Junior in High School showed great court awareness. For a young man of his size he is very athletic and runs with an effortless grace that would make you think he was dogging it if he did'nt seem to end up in the right place most of the time. The opposition had no player with the size and speed to contest him in most situations . He could have scored at will if it had been necessary, but seemed to concentrate more on his defense, rebounding position and moving without the ball. He seemed to enjoy making the outlet pass and feeding his team mates as much as scoring himself. Seems to be an excellent free throw shooter and very even tempered and low key. I sat with a gentleman who knows the family well and he said that Brock was an excellent student with definite leadreship qualities. As I said the competition was not enough to see the complete package,but IMHO, barring injury or some other unforseen circumstance, by the time he is ready to play at Gonzaga, he may be the pick of the Bulldog litter.
          [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
          ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Thanks HBZ! Good stuff.

Comment

• HillBillyZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Post Script for f1d.

Hey,I also talked with a young man who plays soccer for Gonzaga and has watched and even taken part in some of the pick-up games and he says everyone is looking great but the guy that will blow our minds Is "downtown Ira Brown". The kid told me that he has seen Ira at 6'4' stuff Will, Theo, and even Josh a time or two. Young man said everyone raves about Ira and he has a great demeaner and personality and that the players all love him. Said he is sort of like Ronny without the accent. Ha,Ha! Cant wait to see Ira in action.
              [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
              ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• former1dog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Wow!

I can't wait to see Ira in action.

Ever since his Dad posted in this forum about Ira's work ethic, I've had a good vibe about this young man!

Comment

• JAGzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

That really has been a consistent theme this of-season - Ira will be the #1 surprise. With what we have coming in/back, that speaks volumes and I can't wait. He sounds like a "spark-plug" off the bench; can you see he and Kuso coming in to pick up the tempo? SWEET!

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by HillBillyZag View Post
                    Hey,I also talked with a young man who plays soccer for Gonzaga and has watched and even taken part in some of the pick-up games and he says everyone is looking great but the guy that will blow our minds Is "downtown Ira Brown". The kid told me that he has seen Ira at 6'4' stuff Will, Theo, and even Josh a time or two. Young man said everyone raves about Ira and he has a great demeaner and personality and that the players all love him. Said he is sort of like Ronny without the accent. Ha,Ha! Cant wait to see Ira in action.
                    Excellent report on Brock, HBZ. Those that see him today have to try and imagine just how dang good he'll be three seasons from now as a frosh at GU.

Ira is "all that." What a find by the staff. He's everything described above, and more. But our three frosh aren't taking abackseat to anyone. Daye is a great shot-maker, Gray looks like a young Ray Allen, and Sacre has the body of a Greek god with skills to match.

It's all very good.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HillBillyZag View Post
                      I have no doubt that there will be some great blocks next season with all our shot-blocking talent, but after this report I really really really want to see Ira stuff Samhan. Just to see the look on his face. All the better if it's at K2 and the KC lets him hear about it the rest of the game. I rewatched the St. Mary's game the other night and man I'd love to see us take that guy down a notch or two...

Comment

• HillBillyZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Sometimes I have to wonder if I'm dreaming...or having a senior moment.

Guys, I get soooo excited about the future of G.U. sports I have to pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming. The basketball program with the success that it has had already, the skills of the kids we have coming back, the promise of our incoming players, and the talent of the youngsters that have verbaled down the road makes me confident that the: "NCAA Div1 Basketball Champs" banner will hang proudly over the kennel in the near future. The baseball team came close to winning the WCC and getting a shot at the College World Series, and from what I hear, its just going to improve. The soccer teams taking it to the next level, Our rowers, singles and Crew, are competitive with some of the Nation's best, sophomore linksters winning State amateur Tournaments, other sports getting increased exposure and improved facilities....., the list goes on and on. And through it all, the athletes and students I have been fortunate enough to meet, for the most part, show me that our youngsters still value Faith, Excellence, and "Yes Virginia" Character. What a great time to be a Zag lover!!!
                        Last edited by HillBillyZag; 07-21-2007, 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling & excitement
                        ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• MickMick
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

Just as a comparison, how was Grant Gibbs percieved as a sophmore or junior? I believe I have read that he blossomed into a 4-star, #17 ranked PG in the span of one summer.

Now considering that players which commit early often don't get as much attention as the undecided kids, the assumption is that they are artificially ranked on the low side.

For those that have seen him play, do you believe that Brock would be considered a top 50 player in his senior year...especially if if he had not committed so early?
                          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• HillBillyZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Hard Question

You know the old adage:"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? I have seen Brock play in only two games now, neither of which were against a player of his own skills. Another thing I am merely an old fart hoops fan, who played some High School, AAU, and Inter-Service ball and coached CYO kids.. But if you want my PERSONAL observations I will say the odds may be a tad against a top fifty rating for the following reasons:!#1. He plays on a Team, in a Town, and a State, that does not lend itself to a lot of major press exposure. #2. He is athletic, but has that ease of movement that might be construed a slacking until he shows up right in your wheelhouse and stuffs you. #3. He tailors his game according to what they need him to do against a particular opponent..ie: One night they may need him to concentrate of defense, another to put up more shots, and a third game may find him needed to help bring the ball up against presses, traps, & such. In other words he is a TEAM guy and his focus seems to be more on winning than blowing his own horn. And lastly he has verbaled to that little Jesuit School out in the boonies of Washington. Hell, who knows they may actually expect him to him to graduate and other useless things like that?lol. In this fans humble opinion though,I am glad he will be in spokane, He has all of the tools to become a top-50 kid, or with luck, even a burger, boy?, but truth be told he has EXACTLY the equipment to be a great ZAG!
                            Last edited by HillBillyZag; 07-21-2007, 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling as usual
                            ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• CDC84
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Re:

"Gray looks like a young Ray Allen."
                              I agree with this assessment, and I have heard others make it as well. When Gray is operating at his best on the floor, and I have seen game tape where he has, it's like watching a young Ray Allen in terms of his style of play.

Folks, everyone is making a fuss over Austin Daye, and rightly so because he has the makings of being a truly special player, but what the nation generally doesn't realize is how dang good Gray, Brown and Sacre are at this stage in their development. Obviously, these guys will need to prove themselves in high pressure organized basketball games against high level competition in front of a national TV audience, but it's becoming obvious that even with the general acknowledgement that this is GU's finest recruiting class, that these three guys have been underestimated from a national perspective....especially Steven Gray.

I can understand Brown and Sacre because one played at a low level juco and was hardly seen (although no juco player escapes the eyes of assistant coach Leon Rice ), and the other is a foreign player that only occasionally played on the club basketball circuit here in the U.S., but if you talk to anyone who has any sense of the history of Washington state prep hoops, they'll tell you that Gray is one of the best prospects the state has ever produced at this stage in his development. And what's important to note is that he has a long track record.....he isn't someone that just became very good overnight.

How national recruiting evaluators feel about him no longer matters, of course, because Gray is a Zag and he is on a new course in his development as a player.

Comment

Working...
                              X