PDA

View Full Version : OT: Illinois Cans Bruce Weber

Angelo Roncalli
03-09-2012, 05:43 AM
This has been coming for awhile. Unfortunate. There will be a new guy on the sidelines when ILL visits GU next season.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story/_/id/7664755/illinois-fighting-illini-bruce-weber-loses-job

Goshzagit
03-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Illinois' AD is close friends and a former colleague of VCU's Shaka Smart.

Gotta wonder. . .

He'd be a terrific hire for them.

His job experience(Clemson, Florida, Dayton, VCU) are in line, his education is impressive (Masters in Social Science), and his pedigree is solid (all-time assists leader as his HS & College).

Illinois should go hard after Shaka.

Zagpower
03-09-2012, 06:01 AM
It will be Shaka unless he declines, I would bet. Appeals to fans and players alike. Took VCU to Final 4, lost four senior starters, and then won 27 this year.

Goshzagit
03-09-2012, 06:37 AM
It will be Shaka unless he declines, I would bet. Appeals to fans and players alike. Took VCU to Final 4, lost four senior starters, and then won 27 this year.

Not to mention he won the CBI Tournament in his first year as HC before taking his squad to the F4 last season and back to the Tourney this season.

He's a hella of a good Coach (and recruiter too).

Illinois will be that much better with him at the helm, especially due to his "Havok" defense. His teams lead in steals every year...

That said, he just received a big-time pay raise this year -- 350K to 1.2 Mill -- which would make things interesting.

Illinois may be fronting a significant buy-out to get him.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Shaka had a few ACC teams looking at him after last year. He declined at least one ACC job (I believe it was NC-State) and took the pay raise to stay at VCU. In some ways, his situation at VCU is a lot like Mark Few's at Gonzaga. He gets high-major pay to coach at a school where the institutional pressures may not be as high. If I was him, I would be very careful about jumping ship from VCU to a school that just canned the guy who won 60% of his games and took a team to the national title game within the last six years. He might get a pay raise, but he would almost certainly lose some of his job security if he makes that move.

CDC84
03-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Bruce Weber is a good coach and an even better guy, but one of the mistakes he made at Illinois was recruiting local players who didn't fit his system. There was apparently a lot of pressure put on him to keep the local guys local. He caved in to booster and AAU/HS coaching pressure instead of doing what he knew was right.

The Illinois job has a lot more appeal than NC State, which is the single most overrated job in all of college athletics. Their fans and boosters are totally delusional to the point where they have gone after a series of coaches who they had no chance of getting (the worst case being Calipari, who just used them to get a raise at Memphis). The endless rejections have made the job worse than it actually is. I wasn't surprised that Smart turned them down.

Psychozag
03-09-2012, 08:34 AM
You take your team to the NC game and within 7 years you are fired. Easy to see why Mark Few wouldn't want to put up with that crap.

MBZags
03-09-2012, 08:41 AM
You take your team to the NC game and within 7 years you are fired. Easy to see why Mark Few wouldn't want to put up with that crap.

The argument against that is those weren't really his players. He inherited a good team from Bill Self and Illinois has largely underachieved since Weber started getting his own players.

Speaking to a couple Illinois people in the know, though, this firing wasn't completely predictable. After Zook was fired from the football team, some thought Illinois might not want to pay both Zook and Weber not to coach.

bballbeachbum
03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Bruce Weber is a good coach and an even better guy, but one of the mistakes he made at Illinois was recruiting local players who didn't fit his system. There was apparently a lot of pressure put on him to keep the local guys local. He caved in to booster and AAU/HS coaching pressure instead of doing what he knew was right.

with an IU alum buddy of mine, I'd say how cool it was to have a coach like Weber, and he'd complain about losing Javale McGee to Nevada, stuff like that, years ago.

CDC84
03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
FWIW - I don't place a great deal of faith in the Shaka Smart/Illinois AD friendship thing. Who wants to work under your good friend? It didn't work for Oregon when it came to Mark Few.

04ZagFan
03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
I like Webber, and think it's complete BS that he got the axe when complete idiots like Romar gets to keep their jobs.

When has UW basketball been as relevant as they have under Romar? Come on, he's far from perfect, but complete idiot? You're letting your hate for UW take over. They aren't near as good as the Husky fans want to pretend they are, but they aren't near as bad as you make them out to be, either.

Vanzagger
03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Illinois played against us we should have won by 20. We did have their bigs in foul trouble in the first half though.

jazzdelmar
03-09-2012, 05:27 PM
it went downhill when he whiffed on both derrick rose and eric gordon, two chicagoland kids. the fans never forgave him for that.

LynetteG
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Nebraska also fired their head coach, Doc Sadler