PDA

View Full Version : Center Court Stickers

Angelo Roncalli
03-08-2012, 11:46 AM
I just watched Tony Wroten slip on the Pacific Whale center court sticker that has swallowed up about half of the basketball court in Staples.

Somebody is going to be seriously injured on one of these things that have become the norm in pre-conference tourneys like Maui and almost all conference tournaments.

There have been enough high-profile near catastrophes. Maui last year, this season's Carrier Classic, the WCC tournament and now the Pac-12 tournament.

It's clear that the coefficient of friction on these things is a much lower number than for varnished wood flooring.

The risk of someone suffering a serious injury is enough to ban their use.

Should that not be enough, the liability exposure ought to scare the bejeebies out of the conferences, the arena owners/operators and the tournament sponsors. Then there's the product liability exposure to the companies that make and sell these things (my guess is that they're savvy enough to negotiate indemnity agreements with the conferences/sponsors they sell to, which increases the exposure to the conferences).

It's time for the NCAA to act. Either ban them or establish standards that the stickers must have the same COF as a hardwood floor.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
This one always sticks out in my mind.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Battle-in-Seattle-Worst-mid-court-sticker-ever-?urn=ncaab,130754

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__4/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-747623055-1229964297.jpg?ymPZWrADlCVUaWx8

bullzag23
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
This one always sticks out in my mind.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Battle-in-Seattle-Worst-mid-court-sticker-ever-?urn=ncaab,130754

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_ncaab_experts__4/ept_sports_ncaab_experts-747623055-1229964297.jpg?ymPZWrADlCVUaWx8

Wow...I was at that game and didn't remember the sticker because the game itself was pretty memorable(and I was slightly intoxicated.....slightly). That thing is a monstrosity.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2012, 12:44 PM
man, we had a 3 point lead and the ball with 6 minutes left.

sigh

I blame the sticker.

gonzagacfen
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
We had them and then A.J. Price hit a miracle of a 3. Thabeet was so overrated that whole year.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
There may have also been an ill-advised pass.

*sigh*

Sorry for inadvertantly bring up a tough loss. My bad.

229SintoZag
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Plus, they are ugly. Aesthetic abominations. They should be banned for this reason too. There is plenty of other real estate for advertisers in this day and age. I'd like to see a ban of all on-court logos on the floor. Is nothing sacred anymore in basketball?

Radbooks
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
I was watching the Big East tournament today and they had the shot clock as a square graphic on the floor counting down the seconds (which was kind of cool). If they can do that, then you know that they can very easily do the sticker graphic and move it around to wherever they want on the floor.

bullzag23
03-08-2012, 01:13 PM
We had them and then A.J. Price hit a miracle of a 3. Thabeet was so overrated that whole year.

Didn't he get flipped over the back of Pitt's beast of a rebounder, Dejuan Blair during a rebound attempt? I remember this only because it's not often you see this happen to someone who's 7'3".

bullzag23
03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
I was watching the Big East tournament today and they had the shot clock as a square graphic on the floor counting down the seconds (which was kind of cool). If they can do that, then you know that they can very easily do the sticker graphic and move it around to wherever they want on the floor.

This makes a ton more sense than floor stickers. Considering the reasons the ads are put there in the first place is to garner attention to the TV audience(Attending the game: 25k tops. Watching? Millions?) they should do this more often in the future.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Didn't he get flipped over the back of Pitt's beast of a rebounder, Dejuan Blair during a rebound attempt? I remember this only because it's not often you see this happen to someone who's 7'3".

Yes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTnDkOAuwYs). That had to hurt.

gamagin
03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
but with technology today, the same effect could be achieved without endangering the players, by having the graphic virtually appear on TV without the possibility of harming anyone.

There is no excuse for subjecting players to this clear danger. I'm surprised every stadium owner, too, would insist this be solved before allowing this to be done. the liability chain here just goes on and on.

KStyles
03-08-2012, 02:10 PM

It seems like the easiest way to make everyone happy would be to figure out new non-slip stickers.

If there were to be a ban on stickers, ESPN can superimpose images for the Big East tourney, but what about smaller conferences (WCC, for example) that have preliminary rounds shown on local/regional networks? The smaller networks may not have the technology to do the same type of thing, but those sponsors would probably still push for some type of on-floor recognition (or pull out and sponsor something where they do get their logo shown on TV all game).

Those smaller guys would still have to solve the sticker problem so they "have the same COF as a hardwood floor." If they did figure that out, the new stickers would probably be used by everyone, including preseason tourneys, etc.

zagnut2012
03-08-2012, 03:48 PM
The sticker was removed from the WCC Championship game and rightly so. When someone (from Duke or North Carolina) tears an ACL they will stop using them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHLjMUpe_zk

I like the "holographic" image idea and for the people at the arena, hire MMA "ring girls" to walk the sidelines to advertise!

I have just come up with a huge money maker!

Remember Zagnut 2012 came up with it first...:D

Zagnut 2012