PDA

View Full Version : GU Band Member Injured

Angelo Roncalli
03-08-2012, 08:51 AM
from today's Bulletin:

During pre-game warm ups before the West Coast Conference Tournament Championship game Monday night in Las Vegas, a Bulldog Band member was hit in the face with a basketball by a Saint Mary's Assistant Coach, resulting in a possible hairline fracture to her nose.

"I was heckling like I do before any game," injured sophomore Kari Nore said. "I shouted ‘Miss!' every time they missed a basket, which normally gets a reaction because my voice really carries. Then I got hit."

Nore was talking to another band member when she turned her head and the ball hit her.

"At first, I was not sure what happened," Nore said. "As a natural instinct, I put my hand to my face because I did not want a bloody nose."

According to Nore, band members identified the person who threw the ball as SMC's Assistant Coach Rick Croy. After hitting Nore, Croy left the court and Nore brought the situation to the attention of Bulldog Band Director David Fa gue.

"Everything happened so fast," Nore said. "The Gonzaga Athletic Director [Mike Roth], and the President [Thayne McCulloh] came over to check on me and so did the athletic director from Saint Mary's [Mark Orr]."

Nore said that Orr apologized, said that he was sorry that she was hit and that this is not what the SMC program is about. A WCC physician then met with her to see if the injury was serious enough to go to the hospital.
After the game and into the post game celebration, the Gael coach did not apologize.

"Mr. Fa gue went over to him and asked that he apologize to me," Nore said. "The coach declined but Fa gue told him he needed to go do it now. Fa gue continued to wait and the coach came over with his young daughter.

"He said something along the lines of it was not his intention to hit me and it was all in good fun. That was all he said ... I think it was weird that almost breaking my nose was in good fun."

When asked to comment, Fa gue declined.

SMC's Associate Athletic Director of External Affairs Richard Kilwien said in an email, "Saint Mary's will not comment on the allegation. Rick Croy is a respected coach and a solid person. We take allegations such as this seriously and will handle it internally."

"If [Croy] would have owned up and said that he had an improper reaction — I'm sorry and it was an accident — then I wouldn't be so upset," Nore said. "But to act like he didn't do it and that we are accusing him of doing it makes me angry. A ball didn't magically fly and hit me in the face."

Nore was able to play her instrument, the mellophone, for the entire championship game.

Fa gue = F a g u e (to get around the self-editing feature of this board."

Zag79
03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
:vomit-smiley-007: Thats pretty unbelievable, disgusting is the only way to describe it... Way to ruin a good moment for your own institution coach!

HillBillyZag
03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
With all due respect to the young lady who was injured, I'm not going to rant until we know for sure it was intentional?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Intentional or unintentional, the words "I'm sorry" should have come out of his mouth.

gu03alum
03-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Intentional or unintentional, the words "I'm sorry" should have come out of his mouth.

agreed

SWZag
03-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Fairly new to the SMC bench.

Rick Croy Bio (http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=205006216&Q_SEASON=2011)

Zag@LMU
03-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Not surprised. The players are thugs, and they tend to take after their coaches.

Fa gue is a great professor though. One of the best I've had in college.

former1dog
03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Where does the band sit in relation to the floor. Is it possible this was an errant rebound that accidentally hit the student?

Dirt McGirt
03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
oof.

I don't know Coach Croy personally, but I know people that know him that I trust and they all say he is a pretty stand up guy. For now I am going to assume (and hope) that it wasn't intentional.

former1dog
03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Not surprised. The players are thugs, and they tend to take after their coaches.

That is absurd.

By all accounts, these are good kids. The leader of their team, Delly, is an Academic All American. Thugs don't become Academic All Americans.

Randy Bennett is purportedly a very good guy.

Zag@LMU
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
That is absurd.

By all accounts, these are good kids. Randy Bennett is purportedly a very good guy.

Watch Mitchell Young for two minutes and tell me that it's absurd.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM

former1dog
03-08-2012, 09:52 AM

What are you in 5th grade? Guy may stretch the rules to get an advantage in a game, but that doesn't mean he's a thug.

And what if he is a thug, does that make the whole team thugs.

Josh Heytvelt got into some trouble a few years back, does that say something about the whole program? Of course not.

gu03alum
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm not sure that's a fair assessment

Angelo Roncalli
03-08-2012, 09:59 AM
This looks to me like an accident, a mistake, or combination of both. It should have been handled better.

There would be little or no issue if, without the urging of Prof. Fa gue, Mr. Croy would have just approached the young lady in a timely manner and said: "I am really sorry."

Ebay
03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Any lawyers out there? If any witnesses can confirm that the coach took notice to the heckling and threw the ball in response, i imagine a strong case of borderline assault could be brought. He's lucky her nose wasn't broken. I get it, people do dumb stuff they regret immediately afterward. But, you need to take responsibility of the outcome. And sounds like him saying it was all in good fun is admission he threw the ball at her. He NEEDS to formally apologize to her. This has me all worked up right now. Imagine if Tommy were to do something like that. I can't imagine it, because there is no way it would happen. What a jerk.

Dirt McGirt
03-08-2012, 10:03 AM

I'm hearing from sources that Mitchell Young and Coach Croy did the "pretend football pass" where Mitchell Young called for a pass from Coach Croy right as he was in front of the band member and then purposefully didn't catch it and let it hit her in the face. "I'm open. I'm open."

former1dog
03-08-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm hearing from sources that Mitchell Young and Coach Croy did the "pretend football pass" where Mitchell Young called for a pass from Coach Croy right as he was in front of the band member and then purposefully didn't catch it and let it hit her in the face. "I'm open. I'm open."

My BS detector is perking up.

BobZag
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
This is so much ado about nothing. Drama drama. Oh dear. Oh my.

former1dog
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
This is so much ado about nothing. Drama drama. Oh dear. Oh my.

Spoken by the guy with the perfect nose. ;)

jazzdelmar
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Randy should say something, that would be the high road.

Das Zagger
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM

It's absurd.

You forget to take your pills today?

bigblahla
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Ahhhhh the wonderful Gaels.

It's a lovefest here for those wonderful lads from Moraga.

Mitchell Young is the dirtiest player in the WCC only followed by two of his teammates who happened to make the WCC all tourney team.

Dirt your sarcasm is appreciated by some but I've read enough of you on your own board to know you are a wolf in sheep's clothing. You're baaaaaaaad. ;)

Now you can continue with the Gaels lovefest.

Go!! Zags!!!

sittingon50
03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Where's Rush Limbaugh when we REALLY need him?

Zag@LMU
03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
It's absurd.

You forget to take your pills today?

Yep the poster below you and I both forgot our pills

BoZarth
03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
There's a possibility someone threw a ball at this girl. That is assault plain and simple.

If that's the case then he should be held accountable.

ZagNative
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
There's a possibility someone threw a ball at this girl. That is assault plain and simple.

If that's the case then he should be held accountable.+1

BobZag
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
It could be attempted manslaughter or attempted premedicated murder.

Dirt McGirt
03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Dirt your sarcasm is appreciated by some but I've read enough of you on your own board to know you are a wolf in sheep's clothing. You're baaaaaaaad. ;)

I'm sure in the past I've said negative stuff about Gonzaga. Over time, I grew to respect your program and enjoy many of the posters over here. In fact below is a quote I posted this morning on the GIAG board. I'm not saying I won't post something like "Bouldin looks like Screech" just as posters here say Delly looks like the Geico caveman etc. but it's all in good fun.

"There's a lot of good people over at the Gonzaga board and it's fun to post over there with the occasional joke or insight into SMC's team. "

04ZagFan
03-08-2012, 11:10 AM
"My voice carries."

Is this the infamous female screecher? God I hope so. If not, my condolences to the band member. ;-)

kingzag
03-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Girl heckles St. Marys players. Girl suddenly gets hid in face by basketball thrown by St Marys asst. coach. Asst. coach suddenly makes quick exit to locker room. Asst. coach says it was all in good fun. Doesnt sound like an accident. What was all in good fun? Throwing a basketball at a girl and hitting her in the face was good fun? I think this needs a little more looking into.

Colbyspapa
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM

I like it when I'm premedicated.... :D

rijman
03-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry the band member got hit, but on the bright side she obviously got under the coaches skin enough for him to react. She was trying to annoy and she did, so she knows her heckling is effective. She should wear that tweaked beak like a badge of honor. I want to thank her for taking one for the team.

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM

if that coach didnt take his drugs that day would it be attempted non premedicated murder?

kitzbuel
03-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Nope, premedicated means he's getting off. Probably just put under a Dr's supervision who can prescribe some mj.

bullzag23
03-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Where's Rush Limbaugh when we REALLY need him?

On his knees begging every remaining sponsor of his show to stay.....

bullzag23
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
"My voice carries."

Is this the infamous female screecher? God I hope so. If not, my condolences to the band member. ;-)

Nope. The screecher is a USF fan IIRC.

gamagin
03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
That a coach would the throw the ball at someone & that he actually hit the apparently intended target sort of seals the deal that he knew who he wanted to hit and the strike was premeditated.

Pretty stupid. Dangerous, too.

Imagine if something like that happened with a fan hitting an opponents player on the court. The offender would have been cuffed & hauled off to jail. Minimum. Probably banned from the facility for life, too.

Das Zagger
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Ahhhhh the wonderful Gaels.

It's a lovefest here for those wonderful lads from Moraga.

Mitchell Young is the dirtiest player in the WCC only followed by two of his teammates who happened to make the WCC all tourney team.

Now you can continue with the Gaels lovefest.

Go!! Zags!!!

Hey, I heard you didn't take your pills today, be sure to do that.

scott257
03-08-2012, 01:30 PM
That is absurd.

By all accounts, these are good kids. The leader of their team, Delly, is an Academic All American. Thugs don't become Academic All Americans.

Randy Bennett is purportedly a very good guy.

You know, they might be good guys, but the use of the hands is excessive and they tend to get away with it. I do not blame them as much as I blame the poor officiating in the conference. It is something that Gonzaga has gotten away with in the past as well (Grey was very good at it). My only hope is that Pangos will recognize that it is something he is going to have to deal with on a regular basis within this conference. Dellavedova gets away with more hand checks than any other player in the conference - why? Because the officials suck.