PDA

View Full Version : Orleans for 2013 (and beyond?)

Angelo Roncalli
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
From the Commish via Twitter:

Jamie Zaninovich ‏ @WCC_Commish
Under contract w/Orleans thru 2013, at least. @haroldskilley: @WCC_Commish Rumor is that in 2013 tourney won't be at Orleans Arena. True?

Based on the turnout of the member schools, I don't see any need for the WCC to move to Mandalay Bay or any of the other arenas. Even after their considerable success the past 4 years, it seems that you could transport all the SMC fans, band and students who show up for the tournament in a handful of short buses. USF, UP, Portland and every school other than BYU could do it in a couple of VW microbuses.

Zag
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Mandalay Bay is a better location being on the strip. I was in town, but couldn't make it over the the Orleans do to other obligations. I saw coach and several players at Mandalay Bay during my stay though.

BobZag
03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Mandalay Bay would be too big, wouldn't it? 12,000 capacity? Is that right?

sittingon50
03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Per ESPN Box scores there were 1,000 more people at the semis than the final. Unless BYU/GU are in the final I don't think a bigger venue will work.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Back to campuses. USD was perfect for many reasons. Plus I got to meet F1 Doggie.

CDC84
03-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Back to campuses.

Won't happen.

BobZag
03-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Back to campuses. USD was perfect for many reasons. Plus I got to meet F1 Doggie.

No, keep it neutral in Vegas. WCC, WAC, don't be surprised if the Pac-12 goes to MGM Grand.

former1dog
03-08-2012, 10:23 AM

You know, when I lived in the Bay Area, it was awful handy to have the Tourney at Santa Clara every year. I liked it a lot.

But, it sure wasn't fair to all the other teams when they went up against SCU.

I think USD beating GU in the tourney had a lot to do with the fact they played in the Slim Gym.

Beyond that, I don't know much about the economics of the situation and if its working out well for the WCC or not. I'm sure the Orleans likes it :)

Drew
03-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Mandalay Bay is a better location being on the strip.

+1 I was just talking with my travel companions about this during the semis, and being away from the strip is a huge deterrent. There is only so much time to enjoy vegas when the games are not in play. Better to spend as little time as possible en route to some other location.

75Zag
03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
The Santa Clara years of WCC tournaments were the most fun for me, since taking my wife and kids to San Francisco every spring was a great opportunity. I have done the WCC in Vegas and I have spent plenty of time in Vegas on unrelated work projects, but to be honest Vegas does not seem to exactly mesh with the philosophy of GU or most of the other WCC schools. Don't get me wrong - nobody likes gambling, liquor and party girls more than I do - but I still have trouble combining the glory of unlimited sin in Vegas with GU.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Three Guard Lineups!

Colbyspapa
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
I like having the tourney in Vegas. There is always a day off and it is nice to have a lot to do. BTW, just because there is unlimited sin in Vegas doesn't mean you have to partake.

The one thing I did not like about the Orleans had to do with getting a cab after the game. The line for a cab was about an hour long after each game. If the game was on the strip, we could walk somewhere, or at Mandalay Bay we could have taken the monorail.

If BYU leaves the league, it makes no sense to move the tourney to a bigger arena, however if they stay, they could sell a lot more tickets at Mandalay or MGM. I know they were sold out withing 30 minutes of tickets going on sale this year, so I'm betting the demand would be there.

It seems the financial incentive to stay in Vegas will win out over going back to campuses. Revenues are split to the member teams evenly which I believe the league wants.

PeninsulaDog
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Las Vegas is a generally sad, filthy place, but the Orleans is sufficiently depressing and downscale to make it seem even worse. And I didn't even stay there. A couple of days of watching the addled, the scooter-bound, and the morbidly obese gambling beyond their means, eating far beyond the needs of a pachyderm, and otherwise engaging in all manner of self-destruction was almost too much for me. And observing the security line at the Las Vegas airport on Sunday morning was an experience all to itself, with the malodorous, unshaven, bedraggled, defeated, humiliated, and downtrodden masses snaking their way through what amounted to a giant sewer line: Only a couple of days earlier, these same schnooks were on top of the world, bright and shiny, with the entire weekend and seemingly endless possibilities in front of them. On Sunday morning here they were at the tail-end of Las Vegas' digestive process, having been chewed-up and swallowed, and about to be excreted to whence they came via Southwest and Alaska Airlines.

On second thought . . . I had a blast. Count me in for next year. But I do think Mandalay Bay, or some other less-dreary venue, would be preferable.

BobZag
03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Las Vegas is a generally sad, filthy place, but the Orleans is sufficiently depressing and downscale to make it seem even worse. And I didn't even stay there. A couple of days of watching the addled, the scooter-bound, and the morbidly obese gambling beyond their means, eating far beyond the needs of a pachyderm, and otherwise engaging in all manner of self-destruction was almost too much for me. And observing the security line at the Las Vegas airport on Sunday morning was an experience all to itself, with the malodorous, unshaven, bedraggled, defeated, humiliated, and downtrodden masses snaking their way through what amounted to a giant sewer line: Only a couple of days earlier, these same schnooks were on top of the world, bright and shiny, with the entire weekend and seemingly endless possibilities in front of them. On Sunday morning here they were at the tail-end of Las Vegas' digestive process, having been chewed-up and swallowed, and about to be excreted to whence they came via Southwest and Alaska Airlines.

On second thought . . . I had a blast. Count me in for next year. But I do think Mandalay Bay, or some other less-dreary venue, would be preferable.

Are you Zach Galafinakias?

former1dog
03-08-2012, 11:41 AM

HOF post! :lmao:

rijman
03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Back to campuses. USD was perfect for many reasons.
+1. Plus I got to meet Frank Burgess there, but I wasn't fortunate enough to meet Jazz.

75Zag
03-08-2012, 12:12 PM
. . . BTW, just because there is unlimited sin in Vegas doesn't mean you have to partake.

I typed 40 different responses to this comment, but all of them would get me banned for life from this blog. Let's just say that if somebody puts a chocolate chip cookie in front of me, I eat it.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! No Three Guard Lineups!

VinnyZag
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
... you could transport all the SMC fans, band and students who show up for the tournament in a handful of short buses. ...

SMC fans ... short bus. Heh-heh.

KOzag08
03-08-2012, 01:21 PM
I would be bummed if went to Mandalay. Although it would be nicer to have on the strip, the championship had under 7,000 people there. Imagine how empty it would feel in a 12,000 person arena.

Also, I don't believe there are any box suites, like there is at the Orleans. My friends and I have gotten a box for a couple years now, and it's awesome.

Section 116
03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Two comments for me. We rent a car and stay elsewhere and cruise in and out of the Orleans as needed. There is sufficient parking on the west side of the arena and we just pull right in and walk into the west doors to the escalator and on up to the Arena. In the four years the tournament has been there parking has never been an issue. At most we cruise up and down a couple aisles and find a spot. The seats are comfortable, concessions acceptable, and sight lines are good enough. My big gripe with the Orleans is the scoreboards. If you want to see how a particular player is doing you have to watch until the scrolled player numbers come up and then you can see how many points, fouls, etc. a player has. Meanwhile, if you do this you miss the action on the floor. I contacted the WCC about this several years ago when they sent out an e-mail, as I recall, and wanted to know what fans thought about the sight. I got back a courtesy response acknowledging my submission but the scoreboards are the same. At least the WCC got that Zappos.com floor decal off the floor before someone got hurt.

BobZag
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I would be bummed if went to Mandalay. Although it would be nicer to have on the strip, the championship had under 7,000 people there. Imagine how empty it would feel in a 12,000 person arena.

Also, I don't believe there are any box suites, like there is at the Orleans. My friends and I have gotten a box for a couple years now, and it's awesome.

Bingo.

And what if BYU has a down year?

DixieZag
03-08-2012, 04:31 PM
The only alternative cities - ones that are within the West Coast area - have the facilities and metro area but do not have a WCC team are: Boise, Reno (Same as Vegas but less hastle, if one could book the UN BB arena) and. . . Seattle.

I actually think that of those cities, Boise could really a good site, it is big enough to host it - yet a small enough city that the tournament would be a BIG DEAL. Seattle would probably be too much for the other teams to swallow.

BobZag
03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
The only alternative cities - ones that are within the West Coast area - have the facilities and metro area but do not have a WCC team are: Boise, Reno (Same as Vegas but less hastle, if one could book the UN BB arena) and. . . Seattle.

I actually think that of those cities, Boise could really a good site, it is big enough to host it - yet a small enough city that the tournament would be a BIG DEAL. Seattle would probably be too much for the other teams to swallow.

If at Boise, you could always visit Mountain Home on the off-day.

madness
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
But, wouldn't a more preferable venue possibly increase the attendance by non and new WCC fans? I would think so. My reasoning is purely convenience for guests who deem the ability to cruise to and from the games back to their nice hotel room or table games could be seen as a major travel factor. Also I won a jackpot at the Mandalay Bay Poker room, so I'm partial, and I really don't want to stay at the Palms and be haunted by SMC's players on a hourly basis.

BTW, I met your dad Bobzag! Really really nice and impressive gentleman.

Drew
03-09-2012, 08:31 AM
But, wouldn't a more preferable venue possibly increase the attendance by non and new WCC fans

absolutely. It also seems like it would increase the number of current WCC fans.

Psychozag
03-09-2012, 08:38 AM

Ummmmmmm..... I think you are talking about me.

awberke
03-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Soap box much?

former1dog
03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Soap box much?

I think you might want to read that one again.

It's possibly the funniest post I've read on this site in 3 months. Perhaps sarcasm doesn't always come through too well on the internets.

77Zag
03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Two comments for me. We rent a car and stay elsewhere and cruise in and out of the Orleans as needed. There is sufficient parking on the west side of the arena and we just pull right in and walk into the west doors to the escalator and on up to the Arena. In the four years the tournament has been there parking has never been an issue. At most we cruise up and down a couple aisles and find a spot. The seats are comfortable, concessions acceptable, and sight lines are good enough. My big gripe with the Orleans is the scoreboards. If you want to see how a particular player is doing you have to watch until the scrolled player numbers come up and then you can see how many points, fouls, etc. a player has. Meanwhile, if you do this you miss the action on the floor. I contacted the WCC about this several years ago when they sent out an e-mail, as I recall, and wanted to know what fans thought about the sight. I got back a courtesy response acknowledging my submission but the scoreboards are the same. At least the WCC got that Zappos.com floor decal off the floor before someone got hurt.

SCOREBOARD -- it's been my biggest gripe since the first year. WCC should demand a real college hoops score board if we are staying. They don't even have a possession arrow -- step up Orleans or move to Mandalay or MGM.

Goshzagit
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
The Orleans is cheap, convenient, homie, yet it is...dirty.

I've stayed here 3 times and get deathly ill following EVERY visit. Same with my Wife. Its not a coincidence. We travel to Vegas on many other occasions and only stay here for the Tourney.

We've made the collective decision this year was our last -- at Orleans, not WCC.

I'm fine with the Arena, just the right size and easy to navigate.

A plus was the fact their POOL was open this year, that was a first. Nice hot tub. The Irish Pub across the street is also one of my favorite bars in all of Las Vegas.

lothar98zag
03-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Sac-town could work to.

But really - for a non-WCC area in late Feb/early March that has enough to do between games - I think it's between Reno & Vegas. & in a head to head matchup, Vegas isn't going to lose to Reno. (unless you count local Zags, then Reno may win out...)

Vanzagger
03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
across the street. I went in with half a head of hair and came out with none.

Oregonzagnut
03-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Changing the venue is a good sign, but the possibility of having seats be empty is kinda unrepresentative of our passionate fan base if the arena is too big. High demand for tickets is a good thing.

ZagnetitForce
03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Stay at the Mandalay Bay or MGM. Rent a car. Keep games at Orleans.

Drew
03-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Do you guys know the 12 pack is moving to mgm earlier than normal?

Drew
03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Btw, not a good idea to advise catholics they should drive.

DixieZag
03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Sac-town could work to.

But really - for a non-WCC area in late Feb/early March that has enough to do between games - I think it's between Reno & Vegas. & in a head to head matchup, Vegas isn't going to lose to Reno. (unless you count local Zags, then Reno may win out...)

I think there is more to do on a weekend in Boise than Sacremento (no offense but its a Gov. town and most head home on weekends) - - I like the idea of Boise or Reno simply b/c the tournament would be THE thing in town and would get a lot of local support.

Of course, the bright lights and the "wow" factor of Vegas doesn't hurt, but our tournament is never going to be the biggest thing going on that weekend, "Vegas" will always be the "biggest thing" - - especially with the MWC and Pac 12 coming.

I have to admit that I am not entirely nuetral, I grew up in southern Idaho and Boise seemed to host the NCAA tournament every 3 years and we had some great times there and the BSU arena is perfect for BB. But - it'll never happen.

RenoZag
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
UNR's Lawlor Events Center holds around 11K. . .when the WAC tournmanet is held there, attendance is good for the sessions featuring Nevada; otherwise not so good; if the thought of empty seats at the Mandalay Bay is worrisome, then a Reno venue is probably more of the same. . .plus, Vegas that week in March is likely to be warmer and afford more options to tournament visitors.

Not that it wouldn't be fun to have a "house party". . .

Birddog
03-09-2012, 06:06 PM
It's about 10 times easier to fly into Vegas compared to Reno, Boise, Sacto .