PDA

View Full Version : The Eurostep: Delly, Holt and Harris

titopoet
03-07-2012, 06:54 AM
On of my biggest frustrations with Delly in the WCC championship game has to do with E Harris.

I watched the game last night again and it confirmed my frustration. One of the problems with E has been that he has been called for traveling for taking the eurostep. I would venture to say that 70 % of his TO have been because the refs call his eurostep traveling. E has been working hard to correct that eurostep in his game. It is legal as the rules are written, and many of the foreign players are taught to do it. The traveling calls have made him more hesitant about his moves. Now, I am not complaining that the refs have taken away his eurostep, ....

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD call it fair.

If you take away E's eurostep by calling travel, take it away from Holt and Delly as well. Even if the refs called Delly's eurostep 30% of the time that they call it on E Harris, the game would have been GU's. If fact all of the drives at the end of the game by Delly on Sacre features his eurostep. If Harris would have done the exact drive, he would have been called for travel. By allowing Holt and Delly to take the eurostep but taking it away from Harris, you give SMC a huge unfair advantage. That was the difference of the game.

Now, I am not putting on the refs. They have had an earfull from the other coaches in WCC about Harris's eurostep. It is now time for Few to get on the refs and point out the hypocrisy. Next season make a comment in the news about Delly's eurostep is allowed and Harris's eurostep is not to get the refs thinking about it. (Much like other WCC coaches did to Harris.) If the refs allow Delly's eurostep, then allow E Harris. (he would have scored a couple of more baskets.) Take away Harris's eurostep, then take away from Delly and Holt as well.

pbriz
03-07-2012, 06:59 AM
I think it's a fair point but we can't call it the difference in the game.

We just lost to a team that played better than us the other night. Better game plan at the end that paid off.

willandi
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Agree with the point about the Eurostep. Also believe that hand checking, especially outside the 3 point line, is also not by the rules, and Delly is a master at throwing smaller PGs off their rythm. And how about the close up shot of Delly driving and shooting over Rob, using his off hand to push both of Rob's hands far enough to allow the shot.
As was said in a different thread, Delly lobbies the refs between every play, much like Michael Jordan used to do. Should probably be a rule that prohibits players from initiating conversations with the officials on the floor. If the refs want to talk about it, let them start.

former1dog
03-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Tito,

You know what they say about excuses don't you?

titopoet
03-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Tito,

You know what they say about excuses don't you?

Not about excuses. Because Delly will be back next year. Raise the issue for next year and take the eurostep away form Delly or if Harris returns allow him the step. It is about the future not the past.

BobZag
03-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Holt didn't play.

duper
03-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Personally it has shocked me how often Harris gets away with traveling.

sullyzag66
03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Holt didn't play.I'm pretty sure I saw him Eurostepping on the bench during the overtime.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Personally it has shocked me how often Harris gets away with traveling.

He has been called wrongly for traveling far more than he has gotten away with it, I promise.

Zag79
03-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Most of the traveling calls against Elias this season weren't legit calls, and usually came in groups by the same official in certain games. This is evident by the fact that it was rarely called in individual games, but more often two or three times in the same game by an official who obviously views the euro step as traveling. In the NBA it wouldn't be called, period.

bballbeachbum
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
seen Brandon Davies do it too, never seen it called on him tho

Phil Jackson was as good as I've seen in getting games called his way before the day of the game ever arrived

ZagNut08
03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I think the main reason it gets called on Harris is that he has a tendancy to take a step, absorb contact, and take his next step. Often if it is in one fluid motion it goes uncalled. However, with the contact he slows down and often changes direction, which when coupled with his long strides, often looks like a travel, although it may not be.

Although often he does a jumpstop into his double step, which is properly called a travel.

Bogozags
03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
He has been called wrongly for traveling far more than he has gotten away with it, I promise.

I remember replaying so many of those traveling calls made on him and almost all of them are not traveling.

In order for a player to travel, the pivot foot (or the last foot to touch the floor after the player ends their dribble) must touch the floor prior to the ball being released as in an attempt or pass. If you look again, you will notice his pivot foot does not touch floor prior to the release of the ball.

Refs blow this call more often than not. Traveling and the player control/blocking calls are the two hardest to make or at least they were for me.

I wonder if these refs go back and look at tape and see the calls they miss...if they do, then they are not learning from their mistakes...

titopoet
03-08-2012, 07:34 AM
The Eurostep is legal, but because it is uncommon in the College game, it gets called traveling more often. Here is a great essay in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/18/sports/basketball/18moves.html?pagewanted=all)explaining it the move.

Here is a breakdown of the move from Chris Paul. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7R4aazqDSM&feature=related)

Again, the move is legal, but since it is rarer and opposing coaches harp on the refs as it being traveling it has been called too many times against Harris. I also know that Delly uses it they way Tim Hardaway used the crossover.