• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagitarious
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2011

It's All Delly...

His freshman year, Zags win the regular season title fairly easily, but his Gaels embarrass us in the tourney final. His sophomore year, Gaels jump out to what seemed to be an insurmountable conference race lead, but the Zags were able to miraculously tie it up. And this year they just straight up bested us behind his stellar play.

SMC really had nothing on us until this guy showed up. It's great having a worthy rival, but I will be very glad when he is gone.
    Zo Gags!!!
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Forget about Patty?

Comment

• zagitarious
      Kennel Club Material
      • Jan 2011

Yea but we were still able to best the Gaels when they had Patty, even if he helped us out by getting hurt.
      Zo Gags!!!

Comment

• john montana
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Delly > Patty

I don't think it is that close really.
        john montana
        http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Gonswagga
          Bulldog Fan
          • Jan 2012

Patty ... Micky... Delly...
          Seems like SMC has always had a stable go-to leader.

Comment

• Ezag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gonswagga View Post
            +1 and they're all Aussies! We used to have Rillie and Dench, what happened to our recruiting down under!

Comment

• hondo
              Zag for Life
              • May 2009

SMC does a great job of developing players. Watching Micky McConnell as a freshman you would have never guessed he would someday become the player he was as a senior. The same was true for Kerkert(sp), Paul Marigney and Delly. Maybe players develop better by playing a softer preseason schedule loaded with home games. Whatever does it the Gaels have groomed some really good players.

Comment

• Zag79
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Totally agree Hondo, they do a great job at developing players. I would think the coaching would be more important than the schedule since playing good players usually makes you better.

Comment

• gamagin
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

+1, Hondo

the Bennett philosophy certainly is working for SMC. The amazing thing for me is how they can go hard for 40 minutes with such a short bench.

But one thing is sure, they have their set plays and they are designed to exploit what they believe are the opponents' weaknesses. Then they POUND it till it sings Good Night Irene. And why not ? It works til it doesn't.

Unless they get pounded back, like we did the second game.
                  Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                  Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                  Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• SweetOnionZag
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Gonswagga View Post
                    and Hamsan

Comment

• former1dog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hondo View Post
                      SMC does a great job of developing players. Watching Micky McConnell as a freshman you would have never guessed he would someday become the player he was as a senior. The same was true for Kerkert(sp), Paul Marigney and Delly. Maybe players develop better by playing a softer preseason schedule loaded with home games. Whatever does it the Gaels have groomed some really good players.
                      I read somewhere that some coaches think this exact thing was instrumental in Jeremy Lin's development. In other words, since Harvard played against not so great competition, it allowed Jeremy to play a lot of minutes and develop as a player.

Comment

• gonzagacfen
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • Oct 2008

The mouthpiece hasn't been the only key. Diamon Simpson, Omar Samhan, Patty Mills, Mickey McConnell, Matthew Dellavedova, and Rob Jones all have done some damage to us since they came to St. Mary's. Seems like our guards were a little too small compared to recent years to handle them well enough. We will collect the conference regular season title outright next year. They lose Jones and Steindl this year and look weak down low.

Comment

• gamagin
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Anyone else notice how Delly

works the refs ? The guy spends all of his "spare time," including before or after timeouts to say "something" to the ref or refs.

It looks to me like he is asking about the once or twice he was called for merely knocking some opponent sideways and apparently is asking just how said ref could possibly have considered that a foul. Schmoozing. working the officiating team.

The fellow is a real politician, among many other things. I'd bet he gets called the least of anyone in the league. And from what I've seen, there is seldom a one on one in which he hasn't poked, put his hand on and shoved, his opponent, whether he has the ball or not.

Yet, because he looks like he's coming down from a crack binge with his movements, fits and jerks with the ball, and seeming endless motion when playing defense, he seldom gets called. And when he does, he is gobsmacked -- so much that he makes a point of going to the ref at first opportunity to make his case, so that next time the ref will better understand that Delly doesn't foul, upon closer inspection.

It is the other guy, I imagine him saying, who is pushing his own eye, into Delly's finger. And it seems to work.
                          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• zagdad
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Feb 2007

I respect Delly because not only is he an outstanding basketball player, but he is an outstanding student with a gpa of over 3.5. He realizes that academics are important also.

Comment

• GorgeZag
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2007

the crappy recruiting for 4 out of the 5 past years is what happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X