PDA

View Full Version : Predict Zags Tourney Draw

tobizag
03-06-2012, 06:32 AM
lunardi says 7 seed in louisville vs uconn, with the 2 seed ohio st looming.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

call me crazy, but i'll take that any day over and 8/9 matchup, or some of the other 7/10 splits.

uconn has the talent, but is a walking brain fart. i haven't once been impressed with them since kemba left. and ohio st is easily the weakest 2 seed. they only have 5 or 6 guys who actually play for them, and they've sputtering as of late. ripe for an upset.

still, my personal prediction is we're going to get stuck in an 8/9.

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2012, 06:37 AM
I'd say 6 or 7. I really don't think last night hurt the Ags in terms of seeding. It was the equivalence of a push. Don't see it pushing us down to an 8.

Zag@LMU
03-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Kinda meaningless to project it now with all the power conference tournaments looming

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-06-2012, 06:40 AM

call me crazy, but i'll take that any day over and 8/9 matchup, or some of the other 7/10 splits.

uconn has the talent, but is a walking brain fart. i haven't once been impressed with them since kemba left. and ohio st is easily the weakest 2 seed. they only have 5 or 6 guys who actually play for them, and they've sputtering as of late. ripe for an upset.

Ohio St and UCONN are too of the most up and down teams I've seen all year. At times, OSU has looked like the third best team in the country, but they've looked flat and disinterested in other games. UCONN is so talented, but so erratic that I would not be surprised to see them reach the Final Four or flame out badly in the first round.

I'd take that draw over an 8/9.

tobizag
03-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Kinda meaningless to project it now with all the power conference tournaments looming

thanks for contributing. perhaps we should wait to do our own predictions until next monday after the big conference tournaments have concluded...

SwainZag
03-06-2012, 06:47 AM
I think regardless of what the Power Conferences do this team is at worst a 7 seed. Too many quality wins and not enough bad losses to get into that 8-9 game.

Especially considering almost everyone had them predicted as a 6, possibly a 5 before this loss. I don't think 1 loss on a neutral court to a sure fire tourney team and likely a similar seed to us pushes them back 2 and possibly 3 lines on seeding.

ZagNative
03-06-2012, 06:58 AM
Jerry Palm's bracketology (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001) this morning has us a 7 in Greensboro.

GonzagaSwagga
03-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Too many quality wins and not enough bad losses to get into that 8-9 game.

I believe this, but I wouldn't put 8/9 past the committee.:pray:

SwainZag
03-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Jerry Palm's bracketology (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001) this morning has us a 7 in Greensboro.

7 seed is fine, catching Duke in Greensboro is almost worst case scenario for a 2nd round game though.

75Zag
03-06-2012, 07:12 AM
I foresee GU playing its first game(s) in Forrest Gump country, but just for the sake of argument, wouldn't the NCAA want to put at least one team in Portland that people in the greater northwest (Seattle, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver BC) would actually want to watch? With the Pac 12/14/16 having a suck year, who will the NCAA send to Portland that your average sports fan with money living within 300 miles of Portland would care to see? I can't see people in Portland lining up to buy expensive tickets and over-priced beer to watch the 3rd, 4th, and 5th ranked teams in the ACC play the 3rd, 4th and 5th ranked teams in the Big East. But perhaps - as usual - I am wrong.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2012, 07:14 AM
I believe this, but I wouldn't put 8/9 past the committee.:pray:

Well there is that.

omahazag
03-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Would love to see Zags as a 7 in Omaha -

RenoZag
03-06-2012, 07:18 AM
I'll predict 7 and hope for a 6. . .Lunardi's "S Curve" shows the Gaels currently on the 6 line and Zags on the 7. . .might be wishful thinking to see the Gaels on the 5 line and GU amongst the 6's. . .

Selection Sunday can't get here fast enough.

kclubfounder
03-06-2012, 07:20 AM
I foresee GU playing its first game(s) in Forrest Gump country, but just for the sake of argument, wouldn't the NCAA want to put at least one team in Portland that people in the greater northwest (Seattle, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver BC) would actually want to watch? With the Pac 12/14/16 having a suck year, who will the NCAA send to Portland that your average sports fan with money living within 300 miles of Portland would care to see? I can't see people in Portland lining up to buy expensive tickets and over-priced beer to watch the 3rd, 4th, and 5th ranked teams in the ACC play the 3rd, 4th and 5th ranked teams in the Big East. But perhaps - as usual - I am wrong.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I don't think you are usually wrong, 75. But, unfortunately, you are in this case.

Maybe Portland State or Eastern Wa or Montana will get there with an auto bid, but the Zags are heading east.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-06-2012, 07:21 AM
7 seems right, which means we'll be a 9.

bartruff1
03-06-2012, 07:31 AM
A game with Ohio State would be something to see...very interesting matchups with Craft and Sullinger among others... that game would be my pick....don't want anything to do with Kentucky, Cuse, North Carolina .. etc....not saying we would win against Ohio State, just that I would like to see it...

gonzagacfen
03-06-2012, 07:33 AM

i hate to see Baylor as a 3 and Kentucky in that region though. i hope we draw a 6, but if not, id like a 7

webspinnre
03-06-2012, 07:53 AM
I'd say we needed a win last night to get to a 6 and are probably a 7. As others have mentioned, as long as we can avoid the 8/9 game I'll be ok.

NotoriousZ
03-06-2012, 07:54 AM
7 seems right, which means we'll be a 9.

Please, please, please 7. :pray:
Will we be one of the top 28 teams on Selection Sunday? We should be.

TacomaZAG
03-06-2012, 07:59 AM
The winner (IMHO) gets rewarded with a 6 seed and the loser gets an 8. Unfortunately, I think we get an 8 back east........

It sucks.

Go ZAGS

NotoriousZ
03-06-2012, 08:15 AM
The winner (IMHO) gets rewarded with a 6 seed and the loser gets an 8. Unfortunately, I think we get an 8 back east........

It sucks.

Go ZAGS

I think SMC gets a 5. If we had won we were IMHO in the 4-5 range. Are we in the 6-7 range now? Don't think we'll get a 6, but that 8-9 scenario is going to haunt me until Sunday. At least we won't be sweating it out like the bubbles will be.

Who knows, maybe we'll pull a Davidson and get a 10 seed in Portland.

Zag@LMU
03-06-2012, 08:46 AM
i hate to see Baylor as a 3 and Kentucky in that region though. i hope we draw a 6, but if not, id like a 7

I would love Baylor as a 3. They are not as good as they are made out to be.

TacomaZAG
03-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I need some of the Kool-Aid you've been drinking. I hope you're right, Sunday seems a long time away.

Go ZAGS

Das Zagger
03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I just want to play UW.

SweetOnionZag
03-06-2012, 09:20 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/NCAA-tournament-bracket-predictions

ezcure17
03-06-2012, 10:22 AM
With Das Zagger...I don't care where we play....but I think we will be a 7 and I REALLY hope it IS against UW!!!

NotoriousZ
03-06-2012, 10:56 AM
I just want to play UW.

And break our streak of NCAA's? They can have the NIT all to themselves.

:roll:

Zag79
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd say 6 or 7. I really don't think last night hurt the Ags in terms of seeding. It was the equivalence of a push. Don't see it pushing us down to an 8.

:agreed:

zagitarious
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Last year weren't we predicting an 8/9 when we got an 11? Bouldin's senior year weren't we predicting a 6 and got an 8?

NotoriousZ
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Last year weren't we predicting an 8/9 when we got an 11? Bouldin's senior year weren't we predicting a 6 and got an 8?

True, but this year we have the strong RPI, quality wins, and no bad losses.

Zags heart-breaker OT loss a blessing in disguise? If we do get a 7, I'd rather have that then the 4-5 path to a final four.

Zags11
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Gottlieb said SMC should be a 5 seed west as should zags but as 7.

04ZagFan
03-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't see any difference between an 8/9 seed and a 7 seed.

I think there are 8 teams battling for the 1 and 2 seeds.. This means the 2 seeds aren't much weaker than the 1 seeds.

Reality is, I hope we win our 1st game, but we aint getting past the 1st weekend unless we magically get a 6 seed.

ellenvega
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
My guess is a #10. Although I'm just hoping to see our name pop up!

FlyZag
03-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't care what our seed is, as long as we avoid going to someplace like Greensboro and facing a Duke or NC.

I also don't want to see Kentucky or Syracuse in our bracket... anyplace!

TheGonzagaFactor
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
We will get a 7 seed. The 8/9 is a scary scenario, but they tend to put teams in that range that were ranked with a couple weeks left and backed into the tourney. I don't think we fit in that category.

I can't understand why people assume SMC will/should get a higher seed than us. We each killed each other in the regular season and the rubber match went to OT. Who has the better OOC wins? We do. Who has the worse OOC loss? SMC does. A one game difference in the standings plus an OT win is no reason to assume they will get the higher seed. I see people talking about them getting a 5 seed. If that happens, we are about to see college basketball programs drastically change the way they schedule. I know we are biased as GU fans and think of ourselves as a great team, but I don't think beating us 2 out of 3 with zero relevant OOC wins (yes, zero. don't try and sell me on Northern Iowa again please) warrants a 5 seed or anything better than an 8. I bet we get the same seed as SMC or one better.

Zag79
03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
We will get a 7 seed. The 8/9 is a scary scenario, but they tend to put teams in that range that were ranked with a couple weeks left and backed into the tourney. I don't think we fit in that category.

I can't understand why people assume SMC will/should get a higher seed than us. We each killed each other in the regular season and the rubber match went to OT. Who has the better OOC wins? We do. Who has the worse OOC loss? SMC does. A one game difference in the standings plus an OT win is no reason to assume they will get the higher seed. I see people talking about them getting a 5 seed. If that happens, we are about to see college basketball programs drastically change the way they schedule. I know we are biased as GU fans and think of ourselves as a great team, but I don't think beating us 2 out of 3 with zero relevant OOC wins (yes, zero. don't try and sell me on Northern Iowa again please) warrants a 5 seed or anything better than an 8. I bet we get the same seed as SMC or one better.

:agreed:

75Zag
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
SMC beat out GU for the WCC regular season championship and they beat us in the conference tournament. Why would they NOT be seeded ahead of GU? You can pitch "quality losses" and other nonsense, but if SMC is not seeded ahead of GU I will lose whatever little remaining respect I have for the NCAA process.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

kclubfounder
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
SMC beat out GU for the WCC regular season championship and they beat us in the conference tournament. Why would they NOT be seeded ahead of GU? You can pitch "quality losses" and other nonsense, but if SMC is not seeded ahead of GU I will lose whatever little remaining respect I have for the NCAA process.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

The NCAA process places a very high value on out-of-conference performance, which as a Zag fan you should be very, very happy about.

The fact that SMC won the conference by one game and then the championship game in OT neutralizes how dramatically superior we were outside the conference.

It should be a close call on who is seeded higher, and if we get the nod you should not "lose whatever little remaining respect" you have for the process.

(Seems like I'm picking on you in this thread 75. Sorry about that!)

U Zig, I Zag
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Then all the #### they spew about overall season, the OOC and the quality of wins is bogus.

If anything I think we push on the seeding. Maybe with SMC even going east before we do.

If anyone wants to follow how it REALLY goes down this is a place to start:
http://deadspin.com/5890921/for-the-first-time-the-ncaa-selection-committee-reveals-how-the-brackets-are-built

kclubfounder
03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Then all the #### they spew about overall season, the OOC and the quality of wins is bogus.

If anything I think we push on the seeding. Maybe with SMC even going east before we do.

http://deadspin.com/5890921/for-the-first-time-the-ncaa-selection-committee-reveals-how-the-brackets-are-built

Cool link. Thanks.

gonwick
03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Interesting to see the process from deadspin. As others have said, if SMC gets a higher seed, it essentially invalidates OOC scheduling. Do they want to reward a team for playing a soft schedule and spending its entire season prepping to narrowly beat a more accomplished rival? How infuriating that would be for Few and the Zags. Work hard, get good wins against tough teams, and have SMC skate by. SMC scheduling has long driven me nuts and if they are rewarded for it, I will be even more frustrated. They're talented, no doubt, but how about showing it outside of the conference?

RenoZag
03-06-2012, 08:22 PM

From the link:

But this year, the NCAA is offering a methadone chaser for bracketology addicts. Immediately following the selection show, the highest-ranking members of the Selection Committee will spend an hour breaking down why the bracket looks the way it does.

Airing on truTV, Jeff Hathaway and Mike Bobinski will attempt to justify the committee's selections, rather than leave it to the pundits' best guesses. That entails giving concrete reasons for why each bubble team made it in or was left out. And even better, for the first time ever, the NCAA will reveal the complete seed list, ranking every team in the tournament from 1 through 68.

That show sounds like it will beat the hell out of the usual routine of listening to Dickie, Digger, Gottleib, Bilas, and the rest of the ESPN gang. . .

caduceus
03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
That show sounds like it will beat the hell out of the usual routine of listening to Dickie, Digger, Gottleib, Bilas, and the rest of the ESPN gang. . .

Heck yeah it does. The committee usually drags out only the chairman in front of the cameras for about two minutes, with usually a lame explanation on why this or that team got snubbed, and why every single Big East team got in at the expense of every smaller conference, etc. I would definitely watch this. Openness and accountability makes the whole process better.

Zag79
03-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Interesting to see the process from deadspin. As others have said, if SMC gets a higher seed, it essentially invalidates OOC scheduling. Do they want to reward a team for playing a soft schedule and spending its entire season prepping to narrowly beat a more accomplished rival? How infuriating that would be for Few and the Zags. Work hard, get good wins against tough teams, and have SMC skate by. SMC scheduling has long driven me nuts and if they are rewarded for it, I will be even more frustrated. They're talented, no doubt, but how about showing it outside of the conference?

Exactly. If we do get an 8/9 to hell with the scheduling, play cupcakes all the way thru and just make sure to win our conference and the tournament by beating SMC or BYU. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a 6 or 7 in Portland, I feel we have earned it to be honest. I won't be shocked at anything the committee does, just win baby!

tobizag
03-07-2012, 05:20 AM
2009-2010 season: gonzaga lost the final to smc and finished the season 26-6, 12-2 in conference. our final rpi (after we lost to syracuse in the tourney) was 32 with a SOS of 100, and since i doubt very much movement happened after beating florida st and then losing to a 1 seed in their backyard, let's just assume our rpi after losing to smc was roughly 30.

this year: gonzaga loses the final to smc and finishes the season 25-6, 13-3 in conference. our current rpi is 22, and our SOS is 86.

key differences: 09-10 saw gonzaga suffer a few stinker losses to teams outside the rpi top 150 (even one beyone 200), and this year we have no such losses.

still, after reading that document and looking at our resume, i think we're ripe for the 8/9 matchup in louisville in kentucky's bracket, or greensboro in the unc/duke bracket (assuming acc tourney winner gets 1 seed). and after reading the selection document re: location, and seeing our historical first round locations bouncing from west to east coast, i'm thinking it's inevitable that we're 8/9 out east.

1st/2nd rd location by year/seed:

2007: Sacramento, 10, vs 7 Indiana
2008: Raleigh, 7, vs 10 Davidson (150 miles from campus...what a joke)
2009: Portland, 4, vs 13 Western Kentucky
2010: Buffalo, 8, vs 9 Florida St (150 miles from Syracuse campus)
2011: Denver, 11, vs 6 St John's (in BYU's pod)

GoZags
03-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Zags will win their 7/10 and 7/2 matchups in Nashville.

Note: For those that list RPI and SOS -- that's redundant as SOS is already factored as an element into RPI. May as well say Zags have an RPI of 24 and have 26 wins; or Zags have an RPI of 24 and are 5-4 against RPI top 50 as those elements are also factored into RPI.

VinnyZag
03-07-2012, 06:02 AM
I don't see how we can beat any of those 2s anyway. The 3s aren't too impressive, but the 2s (Duke, Ohio State, Michigan State, Missouri) would overwhelm Gonzaga. Can't wait to see Sacre switch out onto Austin Rivers or any of four Mizzou guards.

An 8 seed would be ridiculous. This team is NOT an 8 seed.

tobizag
03-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Zags will win their 7/10 and 7/2 matchups in Nashville.

Note: For those that list RPI and SOS -- that's redundant as SOS is already factored as an element into RPI. May as well say Zags have an RPI of 24 and have 26 wins; or Zags have an RPI of 24 and are 5-4 against RPI top 50 as those elements are also factored into RPI.

it would seem you're suggesting that the rpi is the only determining factor in the seeding process. the committee doesn't just look at rpi in it's final calculation, but also examines the variables to understand how each team arrived where it did. this becomes especially informative when comparing schools whose resultant rpi's are quite similar...they each could have arrived at that value in very different ways. colorado state is currently 3 spots higher than us on the rpi. are you suggesting the committee would seed them ahead of us in the tourney? by examining beyond the final calculated index, the selection folks can see their record sits at 18-10 vs a SOS that ranked as the 4th most difficult. thus, it is informative to examine the index in light of the variables that comprise the calculation.

so, by providing information above regarding GU's rpi from 2010 vs this year, and also including SOS and record, i am highlighting that our resume is remarkably similar to that year's squad with the only real exception being a single loss in the sub 200 range for 2010. this is why i don't think an 8 seed is out of the question.

GoZags
03-07-2012, 06:53 AM
it would seem you're suggesting that the rpi is the only determining factor in the seeding process. the committee doesn't just look at rpi in it's final calculation, but also examines the variables to understand how each team arrived where it did. this becomes especially informative when comparing schools whose resultant rpi's are quite similar...they each could have arrived at that value in very different ways. colorado state is currently 3 spots higher than us on the rpi. are you suggesting the committee would seed them ahead of us in the tourney? by examining beyond the final calculated index, the selection folks can see their record sits at 18-10 vs a SOS that ranked as the 4th most difficult. thus, it is informative to examine the index in light of the variables that comprise the calculation.

so, by providing information above regarding GU's rpi from 2010 vs this year, and also including SOS and record, i am highlighting that our resume is remarkably similar to that year's squad with the only real exception being a single loss in the sub 200 range for 2010. this is why i don't think an 8 seed is out of the question.

No. I think we're on the same page.

Of course many various elements go into consideration -- not simply RPI.

willandi
03-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Looking this morning, Lunardi has us as a 7. With Murray and St Marys as 6's, we can't improve on them, the other 2 6's are ND and Vandy. Both play tomorrow. Where are we on the S curve? (I won't pay for insider, they haven't bought my jewelry but I've sent e-mails suggesting a swap). If we are the top 7 and one of those 2 slips, esp in their first game, would we/could we move up to a 6? That being said, I think we can take Conn and Ohio St., if we play well. If they also play well it would be a good game! LOL

kclubfounder
03-07-2012, 07:14 AM
From U Zig I Zag's link:

The committee must pay attention to recent years' brackets to avoid sending teams far across the country multiple years in a row. For example, Wisconsin opened in Tucson last year, so the committee must make sure they play close to home this time around. Very interesting. I was completely unaware of this policy.

Per tobizag:

Confirmation of the policy - at least in Gonzaga's case.

2012 is very likely to follow this trend, and we will unfortunately be travelling across the country.

DixieZag
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't think that traveling across country matters as much if we get a late game Thursday or a Friday game - additionally it would be nice to not have to play Duke in Greensboro (I think they could be beaten on a "nuetral" floor).

Last thing - I am in agreement that SMC should not be two seeds ahead of us, yes - they won our league championship, we split in regular season play and went to OT. If they get 2 seeds ahead of us based upon THAT - then, literally, our pre-conference schedule means NOTHING - we have a loss to Michigan State at home, Illinois on the road/ they lost to Denver/Murray State on the road, we beat Arizona and Xavier - they lost to Baylor (not a real good comparrison, I know - but what about all the others? The ND's ORU's WSU's - even AFAs instead of Cal State Whatever?

Our RPI is close to theirs for a damn good reason and I would be really pissed if I was Coach Few if SMC was given 2 seeds higher than us - it could only mean that both were even and the winner of the conference tourney jumped one seed and loser lost one seed, that ain't right.

bballbeachbum
03-07-2012, 02:09 PM
From the link:

very cool link, and the hour show after the event should be fun

on GU's seeding, it's the matchup, and does GU have to play in someone's backyard. Does GU draw some experienced tough nosed athletic backcourt matchup?

and on UCONN, I wouldn't want any piece of them simply becasue Calhoun is back and his us aganst the world willpower always seems to instill confidence in his players, toughness. Hope I'm wrong if we get them

Therunner
03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
gut feeling is 8 or 9 seed in Pittsburgh or Nashville.

Bogozags
03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I think the committee gives us an "8" or "9" seed and places us in either Omaha, Greensboro or Pittsburgh...I think if we had won, we would have been a "6" seed in Albuquerque. I hope we are a 10 or 11 seed as I think we will have a better opportunity to advance...yes, it is all about match-ups but think our odds improve.

Therunner
03-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I think the committee gives us an "8" or "9" seed and places us in either Omaha, Greensboro or Pittsburgh...I think if we had won, we would have been a "6" seed in Albuquerque. I hope we are a 10 or 11 seed as I think we will have a better opportunity to advance...yes, it is all about match-ups but think our odds improve.

Agree. If we're not a 7 or better, than schedule us 10 or 11. We can beat those 6 seeds. . .

In some cases, I view the current 2 -seeds as worse match-ups for a chance to win than some of those 1 -seeds.

Zag79
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
If we get an 8/9 draw I'll feel like the fellas, school, and fans got jobbed. I'm having a hard time believing that we are going to be punished for losing the conference championship game in OT to a top 20 team. If you look at the other 7 seeds (per Lunardi) as well as the 8/9 seeds, I can't see us falling below any of these teams or those after them. The 7/10 matchup seems the most realistic based on our resume and those comparable to us. A 6 out east or a 7 here in the west, that's my bold prediction. :D

Bogozags
03-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Agree. If we're not a 7 or better, than schedule us 10 or 11. We can beat those 6 seeds. . .

In some cases, I view the current 2 -seeds as worse match-ups for a chance to win than some of those 1 -seeds.

To tell you the truth (not that I lie too often) UNC, UK, Syracuse, Duke, KU and OSU are six teams I do not want to play in the first two rounds. I believe they are just tooooo athletic AND they have strong post players; however, I think we beat MSU (Green couldn't have two career games against us) and MU, Baylor, UM, Marquette and Georgetown...IMO

Reborn
03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I'll say a 6 seed.

Reborn
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Justice will prevail!

NotoriousZ
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
The one thing that gives me hope for avoiding the 8-9 draw and landing a 6-7 (more likely a 7) is the way we ended the season.

I think the selection committee uses more than just numbers (RPI and such) in seeding these teams. The eye-test factors in also. Watching the Zags last two games, as I'm sure the committe members at least saw some highlights, what grade would you give Gonzaga on the eye-test?

Zags11
03-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Eye test? Depends on how good committee thinks SMC is. If they think they are top 20 team legitimately, i'd say a A. If committee thinks SMC is over rated, then a B-. We worked out BYU. Soooooooo, then up to committee and what they think of SMC. If they think SMC is good, I would say a 7 or 8 West. IF they think SMC is over rated, I would say a 7 or 8 E ast.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-07-2012, 07:52 PM
we've had the following:
#11 vs St. Johns
#8 vs Fla State
#4 vs Akron
#7 vs Davidson
#10 vs Indiana
#3 vs Xavier
#3 vs Winthrop

Does anyone remember if any of the "bracketologists" had us in those games?

rawkmandale
03-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I think we will be a 7, and St. Mary's a 6 - where? Who knows. PLEASE, just give us a BCS conference first game.

kyle dixon
03-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Isn't the WCC commissioner on the selection committee this year? Perhaps a little perk. My prediction is a 7 seed with SMC a 6. We'll go to play on the campus in the Pit at New Mexico.

VinnyZag
03-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Isn't the WCC commissioner on the selection committee this year? Perhaps a little perk. My prediction is a 7 seed with SMC a 6. We'll go to play on the campus in the Pit at New Mexico.

League commissioners can't participate in discussions about teams from their league.

BULLDOG#1
03-08-2012, 07:43 AM
I say play anyone anywhere. I would rather see us get knocked out by, say, Duke in thier back yard after giving them a hell of a battle than losing to a lesser team closer to our home.

Take on the best. Go toe to toe. Punch them in the nose.

Maybe we'll prevail.

Pangos is a wildcard... if he goes WSU on a Duke or NC, then we have a fighters chance for sure.

HillBillyZag
03-08-2012, 08:29 AM
I wish we could get a shot at Patino's Louisville team. We would match up well and and Rob & Elias would have a field day in the paint.

MJ777
03-11-2012, 01:34 PM
7 Seed playing #10 UVA at the Pitt.

wiszag
03-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I'll say a 7 in Omaha against Purdue.

kclubfounder
03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
From U Zig I Zag's link:

The committee must pay attention to recent years' brackets to avoid sending teams far across the country multiple years in a row. For example, Wisconsin opened in Tucson last year, so the committee must make sure they play close to home this time around. Very interesting. I was completely unaware of this policy.

Per tobizag:

Confirmation of the policy - at least in Gonzaga's case.

2012 is very likely to follow this trend, and we will unfortunately be travelling across the country.

Ahem,

I hate to do this, because I was raised to be humble.

Nevertheless, I'd like to bring to the attention of my detractors that this prediction was accurate (as well as many other posts where I pointed out that we would definitely be going east). But perhaps even more importantly, I'd like to remind those who doubt me that my prediction on FRIDAY that the chickens of Montlake will be in the NIT was also accurate.

Argue with me and/or call me names at your own risk.

GO ZAGS!!!!!

Now I will revert back to my normal quiet, soft-spoken, humble self.

04ZagFan
03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Good call, KClub.