PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations on a hard fought game

Dirt McGirt
03-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Sacre and Harris showed up big. I'm glad you guys aren't down on your team because they played tremendously and you have a team that can win some games in the upcoming tournament. As many of you probably know, I'll be rooting for you guys in the tournament and hoping we both show the country that the WCC is a serious conference. Here's to one of the best rivalries in college basketball. :cheers:

TheZagPhish
03-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Cheers, Dirt.

JPtheBeasta
03-05-2012, 10:07 PM
You are a great ambassador for your school, Dirt. Congrats on the win. Good luck in the tourney. BTW, are you doing something different with your hair?

MickMick
03-05-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm not ashamed or angry.

The game was very entertaining and it isn't the end of the world.

Rep the WCC well Gaels.

maynard g krebs
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
I'll be rooting for you guys in the tournament and hoping we both show the country that the WCC is a serious conference. Here's to one of the best rivalries in college basketball. :cheers:

+1. SMC's rise to prominence is good for the Zags. Even if it means some losses. Hope you are still playing the 2nd weekend as well.

What's the prognosis on Holt?

Dirt McGirt
03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
+1. SMC's rise to prominence is good for the Zags. Even if it means some losses. Hope you are still playing the 2nd weekend as well.

What's the prognosis on Holt?

I think we will have him back for the tournament. He dressed for the last two games and went through warm ups and I think the feeling is that he is rehabbing well and will be ready.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Here's to one of the best rivalries in college basketball. :cheers:

This.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I think we will have him back for the tournament. He dressed for the last two games and went through warm ups and I think the feeling is that he is rehabbing well and will be ready.

One of the real impressive things about both teams, they will probably be just as good, if not better, next year. The Gaels only lose RJones and Steindl and the Zags only lose Sacre and Carter. Both big Rob's will be missed !!

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks Dirt

CDC84
03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I hope Stephen is able to make it back. The Gaels need his defense on the perimeter, and he takes some of the heat off of Delly.

Tonight was a really good game from a basketball fan perspective. Unlike some of the GU losses this year, I can live with this one. The Zags competed.

One last thing....the Gaels, and namely, Randy Bennett, have always had my respect (and the respect of many around Gonzaga) because unlike some other teams and coaches in this league, they never whined and moaned about Gonzaga's success. Never. They just got better and better until the right combination of forces came together to unseat GU. It was going to happen at some point, and I'm glad the Gaels did it as opposed to someone else. They went about things, and continue to go about things the right way.

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2012, 12:11 AM
+1. SMC's rise to prominence is good for the Zags.

I agree with my gut. But its not as good for the Zags if we can just dominate every year and still only get occasionally to the Sweet 16. We get to the Sweet 16 just more often without St Marys working us so hard. Since 2009, we have not been in the sweet 16 and that coincides with St Marys rise to equality with us.

My gut says it is good since we have no choice in the matter. St MArys is here and time will tell if they are here to stay. But if Gonzaga is going to get recruiting competition from St Marys now and we don't go as far in the tournament either, then this premise does not hold up.

Baseline
03-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Great game played at a high level by both teams. Lets hope they both go far in the tournament and hope BYU can make it also, a great year for the WCC.

Coach Crazy
03-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Sacre and Harris showed up big. I'm glad you guys aren't down on your team because they played tremendously and you have a team that can win some games in the upcoming tournament. As many of you probably know, I'll be rooting for you guys in the tournament and hoping we both show the country that the WCC is a serious conference. Here's to one of the best rivalries in college basketball. :cheers:

Based on the circumstances surrounding this game, and how things played out during it...it's not really going to be considered a loss. Same goes if Gonzaga would have won. I still feel like enough was shown here to keep Gonzaga and St. Mary 8 or higher. Would be nice to see them get 7's, with BYU at a 10 or 12.

I personally want to see Gonzaga win every game possible against SMC...which means all of them. BUT if a loss is going to happen, it won't suck as much as long as we have a chance to continue into the Dance and do our thing.

gu03alum
03-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Dirt,

You really make it hard to hate SMC and due to Omar I really hated SMC. As my memories of Omar fade and the rivalry with SMC has intensified my hate has turned to respect.

Congratulations on getting the automatic bid and I will be rooting for your team to make it deep in the tournament.

gu03alum
03-06-2012, 05:27 AM
I agree with my gut. But its not as good for the Zags if we can just dominate every year and still only get occasionally to the Sweet 16. We get to the Sweet 16 just more often without St Marys working us so hard. Since 2009, we have not been in the sweet 16 and that coincides with St Marys rise to equality with us.

My gut says it is good since we have no choice in the matter. St MArys is here and time will tell if they are here to stay. But if Gonzaga is going to get recruiting competition from St Marys now and we don't go as far in the tournament either, then this premise does not hold up.

Do you think it's good for UW that the Pac 12 sucks this year? I'm sure that Duke being good really hurts North Carolina's recruiting. Having a rival in the WCC is nothing but a good thing for Gonzaga. It will add to the coverage for both schools and will be must see tv if it continues to be a good rivalry for years to come. Athletes will want to come to Gonzaga because of the great rivalry with SMC.

I'm so glad that you conducted this conclusive and scientific study of 1 college over a 4 year period. I mean if Gonzaga hasn't made it to the final four the last four years than the only factor must be that they have real competition in the WCC. If SMC hadn't had been good the last four years then who knows how far Gonzaga would have gone in the NCAA tournament. They might be 4 time National Champions. Damn you SMC for being good and costing us these NCs.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-06-2012, 06:09 AM
SMC became the first WCC team to beat Gonzaga twice in one season, since Bill Clinton was answering questions about his relationship with an intern.

Congrats to the Gaels. They earned that win with hard, heady play.

rijman
03-06-2012, 06:43 AM
After splitting the regular season, each winning at home, it was fitting the tournament game went OT. The day after the WCC tourney I become a WCC fan, so go Gaels and BYU.

Das Zagger
03-06-2012, 06:49 AM

I heard the same. He "could have" played in the WCC tourney but his knee was stiff, making him less than 100%. Consensus was SMC was going to get into some sort of post-season tournament and the extra week and a half rest would help.

He'll be back to full speed for the NCAA tournament.

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2012, 07:35 AM
I heard the same. He "could have" played in the WCC tourney but his knee was stiff, making him less than 100%. Consensus was SMC was going to get into some sort of post-season tournament and the extra week and a half rest would help.

He'll be back to full speed for the NCAA tournament.

Smart move IMHO to not have him play. Gaels were getting in no matter what... No sense rushing him back. Best of luck to the Gaels.

rijman
03-06-2012, 07:54 AM
It's probably been posted in the forum many times and I missed it, but I wasn't aware until this morning this was the first time SMC won the conference and WCC tourney in the same season and this was the toughest season to win the WCC in a long time, maybe ever. This was all accomplished with the loss of Holt down the stretch. Congrats to SMC on a very good season.

NotoriousZ
03-06-2012, 10:49 AM

I think most of us will be pulling for SMC in the NCAA's also. Who knows, maybe we can both play our way into the another head-to-head matchup deep in the Big Dance? Highly unlikely I know, but both of these teams have the pieces.

BobZag
03-06-2012, 11:51 AM
If there was a national GOY, it would go to Delly. He is a flat-out baller.

GOY = Gamer of the Year.

That game was an insta-classic, though. Thoroughly entertaining for any hoops fan.

Gonswagga
03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
The WCC is becoming a legit conference as it's clear SMC and GU will continue to reload while teams like San Diego and San Francisco look to be well into their rebuilding plans. This conference could get fun.

I can live with this loss. Just as long as the winner was anyone but BYU ;)

Gonswagga
03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
If there was a national GOY, it would go to Delly. He is a flat-out baller.

GOY = Gamer of the Year.

That game was an insta-classic, though. Thoroughly entertaining for any hoops fan.

The section my group was sitting in could do nothing but golf clap and simultaneously shake our heads during some of those runners.

Mantua
03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
GU has had a lot to do with conference improving and eventually we were going to face the consequences. It's tough not to win the conference title or the championship with such a great team and losing well-played close games is always hard for fans.

There's a very good chance we win it next year! I love this team! Go Zags!

Dirt McGirt
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
can anyone tell me what's going on in this picture between Edi and Carter? I may need Gray'sAnatomy's help on this one....

http://www.spokesman.com/picture-stories/gonzaga-vs-saint-marys-march-5/#3243

ZagNative
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
can anyone tell me what's going on in this picture between edi and carter? I may need gray'sanatomy's help on this one....
omg!

former1dog
03-06-2012, 02:12 PM
omg!

:roll:

former1dog
03-06-2012, 02:13 PM
can anyone tell me what's going on in this picture between Edi and Carter? I may need Gray'sAnatomy's help on this one....

Those Aren't Pillows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pu0m9iTo4

zagitarious
03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Pretty cool that the game was the top story on SportsCenter last night.

EDIT: Watching SportsNation and they mention the game. Saying that if you take Duke-UNC out of the equation this is one of the best rivalries in D1. The girl gave out a "really?" but still...pretty cool i guess.

rijman
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM

This is a close team, very close. But seriously, Pangos needs to remember his sparring head gear the next time he faces Delly.

sittingon50
03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
I love you, man. Not like Edi/Carter, but still.......

Appreciate your input on this forum.