PDA

View Full Version : Seeding:

DixieZag
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't think this necessarily drops us to an 8 - I think that we could still be a seven - yes, Portland is out, but I am not sure we were ever really in the running. I think our RPI will keep us at a seven, though I wanted a 6.

What is the consensus of people with access to all the bracketology?

ZagMan in Philly
03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
8 or 9 i know it.

04ZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:59 PM
7 is just as bad, IMO. Any 2 seed blows us out by 20+.

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
9 tops. We might have gotten a 6 if we won tonight.

CDC84
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I can't see the Zags landing in the 8/9 game. RPI is going to be too high. My best guess: 7. I think a win couldn've gotten them a 5. I just can't see them dropping 3 seeds lines based on a loss to a sure fire NCAA tournament team.

TacomaZAG
03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
early morning game back east, #1 waiting in the second round.

Ouch.

SMC gets our 6 seed in Portland.

Ouch.

Go ZAGS

gonzagacfen
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Idk if this is updated to the dot after the game, but it does show st Mary's as an autobid and moved BYU up. has us as a 6, st Mary's as an 8, and BYU an 11... http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

SJZag
03-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I really don't see us dropping to an 8 seed. We lost in our conference championship game by 4, in overtime, to the #18 team in the country (according to the coaches). Lunardi had us as a 6 seed prior to the game. Also have to take into consideration teams like San Diego State, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, New Mexico, Temple, Louisville... losses by any of these teams early in their conference tournaments could have a pretty big effect on where Gonzaga is seeded.

CDC84
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
I also wouldn't pay much attention to Lunardi's projections tomorrow morning. A lot will depend on how the BCS tournaments turn out.

ZagSports
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Obviously it all depends how the big boy conferences play out... but I see us as a 6 seed... no where close to home

btzag
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I say a 6 seed, just look at the facts and forget about the opinions, especially Lunardi. Consider:

- 10 loss Vandy team as a 6 seed.
- Louisville as a 5 seed, 10-8 in conf, lost 4 of their last six and best win of the year....against a 10 loss Vandy.
- Good old Notre Dame. 10 losses overall, played five tough/decent non-conf opponents and got destroyed in all (GU, Mizzou, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland)

Lunardi is frankly overhyping the Big East once again. We stack up pretty well and SHOULD get a six seed.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
I still think our guys will get a 7. I'd much rather have that than the 8-9, but I agree that our guys will be outmatched by a 1 or 2 in the second round. However, if they shoot like they did against BYU, they just MIGHT pull off an upset against one of the likely 2s. They will get run out of the gym against KY or Cuse.

kyle dixon
03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
the tourney. remember what butler did as an 8 seed last year. great game, tbiytc.

caduceus
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Post-game RPI is 22, essentially unchanged from pre-tournament. I don't think we'll drop much after an OT loss. Lots of basketball to be played yet by other teams.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM

I'd like another shot at Michigan State, if they get a #2

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I'd like another shot at Michigan State, if they get a #2

I think we would take them in the Mac, not so sure about a neutral floor. We are definitely strong enough to take them but we would need a Saint Johns style game again.

zagzilla
03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
We've been underseeded for years. Say hello to the 8 ball.

SMC gets the 6.

ZZ

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Ill take the 7 over the 8 seed.

Since Portland is out of the question, IMO, lets hope for a 7 seed in Omaha.

caduceus
03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
We've been underseeded for years.

Actually, that's not the case (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=757100&postcount=17).

I also think that we will not be underseeded this year, since the WCC commish is on the committee. That doesn't mean we'll get any favors, but we very likely won't get jobbed either. There have been previous studies in the past that indicate teams with AD's/commissioners on the committee (very probably unintentionally) get a very slight boost from it when it comes to placement.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Actually, that's not the case (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showpost.php?p=757100&postcount=17).

I also think that we will not be underseeded this year, since the WCC commish is on the committee. That doesn't mean we'll get any favors, but we very likely won't get jobbed either. There have been previous studies in the past that indicate teams with AD's/commissioners on the committee (very probably unintentionally) get a very slight boost from it when it comes to placement.

So we can thank Jamie Zaninovich?!

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2012, 11:06 PM
i'd like if at all possible to avoid the 1 seed before the elite eight, so either a 7 or 10 works...really don't want to see unc, uk, or the cuse. in any case, not concerned with seeding as much as the match up we get and more importantly whether byu or smc pangos shows up.

DixieZag
03-06-2012, 08:20 AM
We've been underseeded for years. Say hello to the 8 ball.

SMC gets the 6.

ZZ

No way that SMC gets a 6 and we get an 8, when one compares our tournament profile versus theirs, Gonzaga's is still better (I do not mean to say that we are the better team, that was proven on the court last night) but the committee rewards tough OOC scheduling - otherwise Murray State would be a No. 1. I suspect we will have the same or one less than SMC, maybe SMC is the first 6 and we are the last 6 or they are the last 6 and we are the middle 7.

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2012, 08:40 AM
i'd like if at all possible to avoid the 1 seed before the elite eight, so either a 7 or 10 works...really don't want to see unc, uk, or the cuse. in any case, not concerned with seeding as much as the match up we get and more importantly whether byu or smc pangos shows up.

I've been chanting "bottom of the bracket" over and over again. Don't want to have to potentially face 1 seed in the first weekend or S16.

SwainZag
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
No way that SMC gets a 6 and we get an 8, when one compares our tournament profile versus theirs, Gonzaga's is still better (I do not mean to say that we are the better team, that was proven on the court last night) but the committee rewards tough OOC scheduling - otherwise Murray State would be a No. 1. I suspect we will have the same or one less than SMC, maybe SMC is the first 6 and we are the last 6 or they are the last 6 and we are the middle 7.

I'm hoping the committee also sees it this way. Zags have more quality wins and played a much tougher OOC schedule. They split the season series and played an OT game on a neutral site. Would they really place this one game as a difference in lines on seeding? I would say hard to say, but I cannot see how they would. Then again we have seen stranger things....

whatazag
03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
If RPI forecast is to be believed, BYU and Oral Roberts will not be top 50 come selection Sunday. That will leave us at 2-3 vs top 50. It also projects we will end up around 29 RPI. With those numbers, I think we probably end up in the dreaded 8/9 game.

WallaWallaZag
03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
If RPI forecast is to be believed, BYU and Oral Roberts will not be top 50 come selection Sunday. That will leave us at 2-3 vs top 50. It also projects we will end up around 29 RPI. With those numbers, I think we probably end up in the dreaded 8/9 game.

watching some of these smaller conference tournaments, i'm really starting to like the ivy league's standard of sending the regular season champ to the tournament instead of a conference tournament champ. a lot of teams that absolutely dominated their conference get left out because of single hot game by a .500 level team with nothing to lose. if the ncaa is emphasizing the entire "body of work" for selecting the at-large bids, the auto bids should also take this into consideration. ex. a 17-1 oral roberts loses in semi's to a 9-9 western illinois team by 1 point and now will probably miss the tournament...same goes with mid tenn who went 14-2 but lost 64-61 to a 6-10! ark.st. team...both oral roberts and mid tenn are absolutely capable of winning a couple games in the tournament...the teams that beat them, not so much. if you really want the best 64 (or 68) sending the regular season champs makes more sense and is probably more fair.

titopoet
03-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Meet the deciders of Faith and Fancy for all 68 Teams. (http://www.bracketography.com/selection-committee/) Also, We will see how the tourneys fair. Florida will get Alabama most likely, then another matchup w/ Kentucky. If they lose to Alabama, that knocks them down. Same for Vandy probably playing a desperate Miss State in the first round.

SDSU, UNLV and UNM are all in the play above GU, but if any of the three falter then they will drop. (Esp, UNM,) Don't forget CSU and Wyoming roaming. I also think that this will be the conference that gets the most shafted this year. If Leon Rice and Co does a big favor and beats SDSU, SDSU will drops like a hot potato behind GU.

How much does WSU fall after losing to 104 Northern Ill?

None of the fate of GU is in isolation but in an intricate puzzle with dozens of teams in the mix.

SwainZag
03-06-2012, 09:34 AM
watching some of these smaller conference tournaments, i'm really starting to like the ivy league's standard of sending the regular season champ to the tournament instead of a conference tournament champ. a lot of teams that absolutely dominated their conference get left out because of single hot game by a .500 level team with nothing to lose. if the ncaa is emphasizing the entire "body of work" for selecting the at-large bids, the auto bids should also take this into consideration. ex. a 17-1 oral roberts loses in semi's to a 9-9 western illinois team by 1 point and now will probably miss the tournament...same goes with mid tenn who went 14-2 but lost 64-61 to a 6-10! ark.st. team...both oral roberts and mid tenn are absolutely capable of winning a couple games in the tournament...the teams that beat them, not so much. if you really want the best 64 (or 68) sending the regular season champs makes more sense.

I've always been in the camp that the regular season champ should get the bid. While conference tournaments are fun, it often comes down to one game rather than the body of work.

It helps being in a conference like the WCC with the double bye, but in a lot of tournaments, it takes 3 games, even being the top dog to punch their ticket.