PDA

View Full Version : elias thoughts

GodZaga76
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
So if E comes back for his last year, are we looking at a lottery pic?

willandi
03-05-2012, 07:53 PM
So if E comes back for his last year, are we looking at a lottery pic?

No. No draft in the NCAA.

gonzagacfen
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Elias isn't leaving after this season, but if he shows the same hunger he's displayed the last 10 games over the next season and this tourney, i could see him getting drafted high in he nba draft in 2013.

TacomaZAG
03-05-2012, 08:05 PM
the last 10 games. Double doubles every night, his intensity has been incredible. With his play over the last 10 games, I would like to see him at the 3 for short stretches in the dance, especially instead of the "munchkin lineup". Rob/Dower/EH/GBJ/KP would be a tough match-up.

Keep bringing it in the Tourney.........

Go ZAGS

sittingon50
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
E really brought it at the end of the year. Will see how much of the leadership role he can assume. Rob's shoes will be hard to fill, literally.

Depending on E's skill development in the off-season, he could have a monster year next year.

04ZagFan
03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
the last 10 games. Double doubles every night, his intensity has been incredible. With his play over the last 10 games, I would like to see him at the 3 for short stretches in the dance, especially instead of the "munchkin lineup". Rob/Dower/EH/GBJ/KP would be a tough match-up.

Keep bringing it in the Tourney.........

Go ZAGS

WOW are we still doing this? LOL.

Dude is our best rebounder by far. The last thing you want to do is put him on the perimeter.

75Zag
03-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I do not see Harris playing in the NBA. He is way to small for an NBA 4 and I question his skills in comparison with the usual crop of one-and-done players at the 3 position. With his European connections he would be foolish not to return to Germany and play big bucks European ball. I just hope he waits until 2013 to do so. No shame in that.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

rijman
03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
In Last weeks Mark Few show E said he would make his decision after the season. With his parents split and his dad living in the U.S. I wonder if that diminishes his interest in playing in europe. I hope E does what's best for him and I hope what's best for him is playing his senior year at GU and getting his degree.

awberke
03-06-2012, 06:23 PM
He has a better shot at the NBA than Rob Jones. Rob may be a good rebounder but he is 6'5 tops.

Das Zagger
03-07-2012, 05:04 AM
If Harris was going to go pro, he should have done it after his freshman year. From a pure stats perspective, he's trended down since then.

Rob Jones has no shot at playing in the NBA, he's 6'4'' at the very best.

VinnyZag
03-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Harrris will have an excellent pro career in his native Germany.

LongIslandZagFan
03-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Size would likely keep him out of the lottery range... He plays like he has been all next season... He might move up to the first round. He is a tweener when it comes to his style of game. That almost invariably puts you in the second round to undrafted. But he could play his way in if he blows up. Regardless... He'll make mad stacks either here or in Europe.

Oh, and as for Rob Jones... I've said it before... He should think about playing TE in the NFL. He has the size and hands to do it.

Birddog
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh, and as for Rob Jones... I've said it before... He should think about playing TE in the NFL. He has the size and hands to do it.
Agreed, but can he block? You have to be able to and want to knock people down.

LongIslandZagFan
03-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Agreed, but can he block? You have to be able to and want to knock people down.

Thought I read that he played football in HS.

BULLDOG#1
03-07-2012, 09:35 AM
If Harris comes back for his senior year AND he plays like he has at the end of this year AND he continues to build his skill set... Here's his NBA resume:

PROS:
- extremely athletic
- good defender
- decent position rebounder
- great out of position rebounder
- good scorer (bit above average jumper for a 4)
- gamer

CONS:
- undersized at the 4
- below average off the dribble
- cannot create own shot vs elite defenders
- below average defender on the wing

I'd say, depending on who's in the draft, Harris is a late first rounder. More likely he'll play his way up in the draft than down to the second round.

DADoZAG
03-07-2012, 09:57 AM
If Harris comes back for his senior year AND he plays like he has at the end of this year AND he continues to build his skill set... Here's his NBA resume:

CONS:
- undersized at the 4
- below average off the dribble
- cannot create own shot vs elite defenders
- below average defender on the wing

What’s odd to me is that Harris’s fixable “CONS” all start with his feet and then move to a high center of gravity. Why is it odd? The guy was a soccer player.

Go ZAGS!

zag944
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
He would probably have to be in that First Team All American discussion to go that high....and even then I would doubt it.

Lottery picks used on seniors are few and far between these days. To my recollection only Hansbrough and Fredette in the last 3 years, maybe Terence Williams went around there too. Not only is he a guy thatll have spent more time than most lottery picks in college, but he is 2 years older than his class (to put it in perspective, he's only 4 months younger than Blake Griffin, and is older than a lot of quality players already in like their 3rd seasons)

TheGonzagaFactor
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM

I hate how this becomes a discussion with so many college basketball post players. Gates and Gonzalez were freaks. Who knows what Jones could do if he put on more muscle, but I would stack the odds pretty heavily against him playing pro football.

LongIslandZagFan
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I hate how this becomes a discussion with so many college basketball post players. Gates and Gonzalez were freaks. Who knows what Jones could do if he put on more muscle, but I would stack the odds pretty heavily against him playing pro football.

Ain't gonna be any worse than getting into the NBA. Not saying he's going to be all pro like those guys. The NFL has drafted more than its fair share of HOOPS players.

hooter73
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
i think his last 10 games has put him in the 2nd round if he went this year. I think he'll be back though then try for NBA and fall back on Europe.

DixieZag
03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
In the last 10 games I have seen him running the floor more while dribbling, with a little less of that "high dribble" that drives everyone crazy, he is also shooting 3s with a little bit more consistency and not just when left alone, he is starting to create his own shot. I think that there will be times next year when we will see a Harris, Dower, Olynick, Bell, Pangos line up - maybe just for a few minutes each game, there would be a ton of offense in that line-up.

I also see him coming back b/c I think his scoring is going to go up with 2 guards that have matured and know how to play with him better.

Bogozags
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
In the last 10 games I have seen him running the floor more while dribbling, with a little less of that "high dribble" that drives everyone crazy, he is also shooting 3s with a little bit more consistency and not just when left alone, he is starting to create his own shot. I think that there will be times next year when we will see a Harris, Dower, Olynick, Bell, Pangos line up - maybe just for a few minutes each game, there would be a ton of offense in that line-up.

I also see him coming back b/c I think his scoring is going to go up with 2 guards that have matured and know how to play with him better.

I also would like to see him come back and develop his game a bit more...also like the idea of placing him at the "3" in the tournament from time to time with SD on the floor as the PF and RS playing the post.

Previous noted was his improvement of handling the ball in traffic, especially in leading the break or going coast-to-coast. I think the only drawback to him going "PRO" this year is that he has not been really consistent; however, he sure does seem to be peaking at the right time of year. Would really like to see him coming off of screens and shooting jumpers...that would be a much added strength and if he was successful at this endeavor, then he would be so much harder to defend adding to his "value" in the draft.

If EH choses to turn "pro" after this season, it would leave GU pretty thin with SD, KO and Ryan Spangler playing down low, that is if we do not find another experienced "C"/"PF" this summer.

With EH, we will be very deep next year at every position BUT not as strong defensively in the post as Rob was an excellent defender...SD/KO are going to have their work cut out for them next year.

Let's hope EH decides it's a "win-win" situation for him to remain and graduate with his class. I hope his motivation isn't just money.

GO ZAGS!

bballbeachbum
03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
he's been playing hard all out without hesitations (most of the time) since MSU, just one down game since then, and the last 10 another level still to me

jazzdelmar
03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Nein. Next stop Frankfurt. Ten year career in the Bundeslgia.

WallaWallaZag
03-07-2012, 08:35 PM
harris has a shot if he can develop his mid-range game...opponents have to respect his 3 now so he needs to be able to hit that mid-range j after a pump fake and 1 or 2 dribbles. would also take away some of those charges he gets from forcing the drive into the paint.

MDABE80
03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Not counting Elias out till we see how does next year. If he stays ferocious and does a 15-10 year, he'll get a very serious look...might find himself in the first round somewhere. He's a full 6 ft 7 in now...but he does need some further refined skills.
We'll see. He will need to improve though...if he dominates so obviously as he had in the last several games...and step his game up further....he'll make some NBA team...and eventually will play in the homeland. I surely like him tons now.

Just an amzing transformation...and it's been against the best in the league too. Bodes well IMO.

titopoet
03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Not counting Elias out till we see how does next year. If he stays ferocious and does a 15-10 year, he'll get a very serious look...might find himself in the first round somewhere. He's a full 6 ft 7 in now...but he does need some further refined skills.
We'll see. He will need to improve though...if he dominates so obviously as he had in the last several games...and step his game up further....he'll make some NBA team...and eventually will play in the homeland. I surely like him tons now.

Just an amzing transformation...and it's been against the best in the league too. Bodes well IMO.

Like I mention in another thread, I think he will be a better pro than playing in the NCAA. His best move, his eurostep, will not be called traveling in the pros in any league. The traveling calls (wrong by the rules by the way) made more hesitant. But in the NBA, the refs wont take it away from him. He has grow as a player in other ways. I think he will find a home in the NBA (though not as an allstar or even starter but a bench player).

gamagin
03-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Size would likely keep him out of the lottery range... He plays like he has been all next season... He might move up to the first round. He is a tweener when it comes to his style of game. That almost invariably puts you in the second round to undrafted. But he could play his way in if he blows up. Regardless... He'll make mad stacks either here or in Europe.

he sure looks like that's where he belongs. He's gotten thicker each year, it seems to me.

gamagin
03-08-2012, 08:08 AM
has got another year to do what he came here to do: develop his complete game. This year, so far, he has introduced and maintained a dimension that seemed out of reach last year: toughness.

I have no idea whether he will ever play in the bigs. If his development stops this season, I'd say no.

If he takes this next offseason and works more on his shooting and even more than that handling the ball, dribbling & passing -- and making making those skills second nature in his game -- then I think he'd earn a serious look.

I guess the important thing for us to realize is he came in as a one dimensional athlete. He and his coaches knew this and so did Few. So far, they have all decided to develop the rest of EH. And he has become a delightful work in process for himself and our team. He has even become, imo, the de facto, team leader, and inspiration, too, plus, most recently, a team hero and legend. Who would have guessed that ? The work continues.

Colbyspapa
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Love Elias, but no one drafts an undersized 25 year old in the first round of a draft. That is how you get fired as a GM all American or not.

He will have a great career in Europe and I pray he comes back for his senior year because we will be darn good if our rotation looks like this.

KP
GBjr
GLE
EH
KO/SD

with Stocks, Draginis, Spangler, MM and one of our centers off the bench. That is before any addition.

We probably lose Keita after this year. He's too good to sit for four years and there is no PT available with KP and GBjr around for the next 3 years.