PDA

View Full Version : Darned little #%^*!@

HillBillyZag
03-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I wanted our kids to win this game as much as any of you and they played their @%&'s off. I am proud of all of them. But that Delly just drives me up the damn wall. The kid runs like an hurdler with a groin pull and throws up shots as he drives so soft it looks like a nerf ball going through the net, and like my friend Bronco would opine?, I think his chances to play NBA ball are "slim & none and slim left town!" On the other hand, the kid has the heart of a lion and brass gonads. He absolutely refused to lose, even after getting tied up and allowing us to have that shot to tie it in regulation, he did'nt let that mistake affect him, he just kept chopping wood. I love Rob, Elias, Sammy and ALL of our Zags and I don't even like Delly, but I sure RESPECT that little fart. He's got the nerve of an assassin, dang him!

spike_jr
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Saint Marys was clearly better tonight at two positions - point guard and head coach.

TM27
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Saint Marys was clearly better tonight at two positions - point guard and head coach.

+1 MD truly is good. Really wish we would have blitzed or disrupted that screen making SMC pass the ball. Oh well. Few has stuck with that strategy all 3 times vs the Gaels. He likes the match-up and obviously Bennett likes the match-up from his seat.

MickMick
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
GU took a few bad shots as the shot clock expired. They were a bit too patient at times.

They need to drill using a 10 second shot clock.

Dellavedova runners were tough. Dower backtracking instead of meeting him. This all after Edi picked up 4 fouls. I knew Delly would have his way after Edi sat down.

Sacre would meet Delly, but that left Bell to get owned on the boards by Waldow.

Don't know if I like the defensive strategy, but it all went down hill when Edi got his 4th. We had no answer for Delly after that. Few was shooting from the hip. Didn't really have much choice.

Edit:

It was win/win for Delly. Make the shot or have Waldow rebound the miss. I will say that Rob did a credible job. Much better than Dower. Rob got some blocks on Delly's win/win situation. Big gamble though. Rob doesn't get the block and automatic 2 points for the Gaels.

I should start a new thread titled:

"Iso....Poy on DPOY"

It was interesting and entertaining to say the least. Rob won his share and perhaps earned a little respect for his title from it. Sacre has an amazing knack of staying out of foul trouble when directly attacked.

But in the end, with Edi down, Few was doing his creative best to contain Delly. Obviously his strategy was to use length.

HillBillyZag
03-05-2012, 07:57 PM
So far everyone of you missed my point. "Be like Coach"!

JPtheBeasta
03-05-2012, 08:04 PM
In the first game we hedged the screens hard with Sacre (instead of switching) and Delly just hit Waldow with pass after pass on the roll. This was the better strategy tonight. It is also the strategy in the game we won. If we don't switch and we lose you all are complaining about that instead. I agree with Mick that Edi's foul trouble was a huge factor in this game. SMC executed better down the stretch (and the first few minutes of the second half) and that was the difference. If blaming Few makes you feel better, you are entightled to that, but I personally don't think it's justified.

spike_jr
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
JP - the problem that I had with it was the screens were set far out and they were half-asses screens at best. It got to the point where Waldo was jogging out towards Delly and Rob would stay and GB would follow Waldow. Gary Bell could have gone underneath them with no problem. If Delly is going to hit 3s from 35ft away so be it. Not the players fault, that was apparently the game plan. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a differnent result.

HillBillyZag
03-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, let this poor Franciscan educated old man explain to you over educated Jesuit students that #!. I was simply saying I admired Delly's guts. #2. The " Be like Coach" project is a National youth basketball program meant to teach SPORTSMANSHIP and basketball FUNDEMENTALS to grade school kids. It had nothing to do with tonight's game.

spike_jr
03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Well HBZ, I like both of those. But "fundamentally", we should have tried fighting through a few more screens and switching on a few less :-).

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Dellevedova is becoming my most-hated and most-admired Zag rival since Steve Nash. He just has a swagger about him that comes from knowing that he is good...really, really good... He is not afraid to take responsibility for a game no matter how much pressure is coming.

MickMick
03-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Lesson to Pangos by observation.

The Conference Player of the Year will commonly put his opponent in foul trouble.

Sam's miss at the end sticks out. Two of either Pangos, Harris, or Dower must generate points at crunch time. Only one of them did.

Sam lacks needed athleticism on the defensive end. Waldow looks like he will give Dower a ton of trouble in the future.

JPtheBeasta
03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Lesson to Pangos by observation.

The Conference Player of the year will commonly put his opponent in foul trouble.

Pangos definitely is more of a finesse player. Delly's game is creating contact, clearing out space, and flailing madly about to get the refs attention. I don't think Pangos has either the theatrics or the physicality in him.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Few out-coached Bennet tonight The Zags out-missed the Gaels ...THAT is the reason for this loss. Pangos and Edi MISSED 18 shots, 1/13 from three!

spike_jr
03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Well when you offense doesn't show up as planned, you better bring your defense. Letting one of the best point guards in college go 1 on 1 with your big man starting at 30ft from the basket while your 6'-0" guard gets to defend their center under the hoop is a recipe for points to the opposition. Like I said above, the definintion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Well when you offense doesn't show up as planned, you better bring your defense. Letting one of the best point guards in college go 1 on 1 with your big man starting at 30ft from the basket while your 6'-0" guard gets to defend their center under the hoop is a recipe for points to the opposition. Like I said above, the definintion of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Delladova shot 8-21 in the game!! That is good defense! Not the problem! Our defense played really good in this game...68 points for a good offensive team is not bad.

spike_jr
03-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Delladova shot 8-21 in the game!! That is good defense! Not the problem! Our defense played really good in this game...68 points for a good offensive team is not bad.

Exactly my point. If he is 8/21, why do you keep switching the screen and help their offense by creating 2 mismatches and compound that with screwing up your rebounding? Make him shoot it from behind the line rather than driving on RS where 1 of 4 things is going to happen (3 of which are bad). He makes the shot, misses the shot and we rebound, misses the shot and they get the rebound, or he gets fouled. And if he decides to take GB off the dribble, then you have Rob waiting back in the key to help with the defense or rebound.

MickMick
03-05-2012, 09:02 PM

correct.

Needed more points from the guard position. Didn't get much help from any of them.

Zags11
03-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Few out-coached Bennet tonight The Zags out-missed the Gaels ...THAT is the reason for this loss. Pangos and Edi MISSED 18 shots, 1/13 from three!

IM not blaming Few. IT was our 3pt shooting. Post Game guy at 935pt said bennett outcoached few alot tonight. Then backtracked when caller disagreed.

spike_jr
03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
correct.

Needed more points from the guard position. Didn't get much help from any of them.

MickMick - we did play good defense on Delly most of the night. So why do you continually let him go iso on your bid man and give St Marys the advantage? Let Delly try to beat you from 20ft with tired legs underneath of him. Dont let him go to the rack where he either makes it or they have a great chance at getting the offensive rebound due to our switching defense.

maynard g krebs
03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Exactly my point. If he is 8/21, why do you keep switching the screen and help their offense by creating 2 mismatches and compound that with screwing up your rebounding? Make him shoot it from behind the line rather than driving on RS where 1 of 4 things is going to happen (3 of which are bad). He makes the shot, misses the shot and we rebound, misses the shot and they get the rebound, or he gets fouled.

Rob blocked a couple, and bothered a couple of others. Those possessions factored into the 8/21 total. Also, you can't really "make" him shoot it behind the line; Bell couldn't stop his drives in the 1st game.

That said, my opinion during the game fell on the "hedge and recover" side. But I also realize I know a lot less about BB strategy than the GU staff.

spike_jr
03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Rod did block a few and definitely altered a few more. In fact, Rob did a damn good job on those defensive switches. But they also got a lot of offensive rebounds because of the defense. You can't force him to shoot, but they were running the clock down and it would have been nice to see him try to do something against GB with Rob a lot closer to the basket and waiting....