PDA

View Full Version : No one blame but ourselves

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
We gave that one away. No other way to spin it.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-05-2012, 07:27 PM

There are several other ways to spin it.

kclubfounder
03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I believe there are a whole lot of other ways to spin it, but I'm just one person with an opinion.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Stagnant offense and we never got the ball to the hot hand. Dower and Edi shot most our threes and we never got consistent from the perimeter.

MDABE80
03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
pangos>>>> 3-18 1-10 0-0 0 3 3 2 0 3 2 7 Feel bad for Kevin...worst night of his young career...3/18 and only 1/10 from 3.

Oh well...we love him anyway. Just a bad night.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-05-2012, 07:31 PM

I'll put another spin on it. Two teams played their absolute hearts out for 45 minutes. The Zags fought back...HARD...when they looked like they were out of it.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
pangos>>>> 3-18 1-10 0-0 0 3 3 2 0 3 2 7 Feel bad for Kevin...worst night of his young career...3/18 and only 1/10 from 3.

Oh well...we love him anyway. Just a bad night.

Combined with Edi they were 4/24 1/13 from three. Both will have a chance to bounce back in the NCAA's

McZag
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
There are several other ways to spin it.

But none of them would be honest. This bunch is better than this. Just a couple plays here and there win the game. We are talented enough to make a couple extra plays. Hopefully this one will stay with them.

maynard g krebs
03-05-2012, 07:33 PM
No. SMC made the plays to win. Zags gave a great effort but were beaten by a team that was better on this night. Credit where credit is due.

Edited to add I think that's pretty honest.

mnzag24
03-05-2012, 07:33 PM
no there aren't. we battled and fought but gave it away in the 1st half. thats it.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Stagnant offense and we never got the ball to the hot hand. Dower and Edi shot most our threes and we never got consistent from the perimeter.

??? They only shot 7 and made 2 ....IF they HAD shot most of our threes at that rate...we win!

gamagin
03-05-2012, 07:34 PM

you related to Jazz ?

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
no there aren't. we battled and fought but gave it away in the 1st half. thats it.

Losing the 8 point lead just before half was the killer! and then the slow start to the 2nd half

TheCroatian
03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Those are 2 pretty excellent teams. I thought SMC executed well and had a perfect OT. If we could have forced one more turnover, dont turn over that fast break in OT or they missed a FT or two its a different game. SMC is a very dangerous tourney team.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Those are 2 pretty excellent teams. I thought SMC executed well and had a perfect OT. If we could have forced one more turnover, dont turn over that fast break in OT or they missed a FT or two its a different game. SMC is a very dangerous tourney team.

Is Holt scheduled to be ready in a week and a half?

mee755
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
You spin me right round, baby, right round....

ZagLawGrad
03-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Can't disagree that the Zags gave this one away at the end.

Some really poor shot choices that last 2 minutes.

RenoZag
03-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I'll put another spin on it. Two teams played their absolute hearts out for 45 minutes. The Zags fought back...HARD...when they looked like they were out of it.

This.

DixieZag
03-05-2012, 07:40 PM
My God, you are not going to shoot 60% from 3 every night - KP had a guy hanging on him all night - no way can he shoot as high a %.

Yep - we had some lulls, but b/c of great defense from the Gaels and killer shooting.

But no one should get away with saying that this team did anything but play their guts out - - they somehow got to OT!

GonzagaLove
03-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Can someone explain the number of minutes David Stockton was given at the end of the game? I cannot figure Few's rotations.

TacomaZAG
03-05-2012, 07:43 PM
One question for future SMC games.......

When are we going to scheme defensively to take Delly out of the game and make someone else beat us???? Box and 1, Triangle and 2, double team, anything to make someone else beat us.

Cut off the head and the body follows. I know it's easier said than done, but come on. He goes for at least 20 against us every game, and the best we can come up with is to have Rob guard him one-on-one 20 feet from the hoop. Is the bag of tricks really that empty???

I guess so..........

Go ZAGS

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2012, 07:43 PM
pangos plays even an average game and zags win...simple as that.

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2012, 07:45 PM
One question for future SMC games.......

When are we going to scheme defensively to take Delly out of the game and make someone else beat us???? Box and 1, Triangle and 2, double team, anything to make someone else beat us.

Cut off the head and the body follows. I know it's easier said than done, but come on. He goes for at least 20 against us every game, and the best we can come up with is to have Rob guard him one-on-one 20 feet from the hoop. Is the bag of tricks really that empty???

I guess so..........

Go ZAGS

rob actually shut him down several possessions in a row towards the end...i think rob wanted to take him 1-on-1 wanted the challenge. this was rob's game...zags should have gone to him in the post in ot.

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 07:46 PM
My God, you are not going to shoot 60% from 3 every night - KP had a guy hanging on him all night - no way can he shoot as high a %.

Yep - we had some lulls, but b/c of great defense from the Gaels and killer shooting.

But no one should get away with saying that this team did anything but play their guts out - - they somehow got to OT!

Yeah we played our guts out but in the end we didn't make the plays that we had to make to win. And we had plenty of opportunities to. That is why we are a 9 seed at best now. And it's a result of missed opportunities.

mnzag24

no. it was not great D from the gaels. christ, you sound like farnham. if we shoot bad then it must be great d. not true. we had our looks, and did not make them. call it like it is. they had their moments, but we screwed the pooch.

ZagLawGrad
rob actually shut him down several possessions in a row towards the end...i think rob wanted to take him 1-on-1

Rob had a few moments, but Delly made him look silly at times.

mee755
03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
So right. I do blame myself.

If I would have cheered louder. Or chosen a different shirt. Or drank more. Dammit! I did not do enough. The ZagNation fans did not do enough.

Is that the "we" you are referring to? Or are you a player? You actually thought to post on the board minutes after a huge loss? No wonder you lost. Your mind must not have been on the game.

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM

If I would have cheered louder. Or chosen a different shirt. Or drank more. Dammit! I did not do enough. The ZagNation fans did not do enough.

Is that the "we" you are referring to? Or are you a player? You actually thought to post on the board minutes after a huge loss? No wonder you lost. Your mind must not have been on the game.Get lost. It's a commonly accepte fact that fans affiliate themselves with their teams. If that's all you have then save server space next time.

04ZagFan

Yup. I had a feeling this whole switching on ball screens things was going to be the talk of the boards.

The reality is, while Rob did make a couple plays, Delly got the best of him.. And on a couple of misses, they got O boards because of the mismatch down low. It was a bad, bad, bad move for our D.

WallaWallaZag

delly had the upper hand early, rob late...but in any case, it was the zag offensive execution in ot that lost the game.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
pangos plays even an average game and zags win...simple as that.

We didn't run enough plays for Pangos to shoot the three. Instead Edi, Dower were taking them. Was Few saving him for later?

Our offensive rebounding bites.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Can someone explain the number of minutes David Stockton was given at the end of the game? I cannot figure Few's rotations.

He played well and often got the pass to Dower inside. At the end we had our chances and missed the shots...you can't be blaming DS for that?

04ZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
We didn't run enough plays for Pangos to shoot the three. Instead Edi, Dower were taking them. Was Few saving him for later?

You can't just get a 3 point shot for your best shooter on command. SMC did a great job taking Pangos out of the game plan, and the shots he did get he bricked.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
delly had the upper hand early, rob late...but in any case, it was the zag offensive execution in ot that lost the game.

agreed, 68 points in regulation is pretty good defense on a good St. Marys team

mee755
Get lost. It's a commonly accepte fact that fans affiliate themselves with their teams. If that's all you have then save server space next time.

Is that all you got?

jayray

It makes no sense. Plays out of the time outs were horrible. As happens a lot in a GU loss, Few got out coached.

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
At this point, I have to call you a dork!Youve never said we when talking about the team?

Is that all you got?

You didn't give me much to work with

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
You can't just get a 3 point shot for your best shooter on command. SMC did a great job taking Pangos out of the game plan, and the shots he did get he bricked.

Early on his shots were just missing, in one stretch we had 3 or 4 rattle in and out by Pangos and Dower. I didn't think the Gaels defense was that tough, he had some good open looks, just missed them!

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Maybe if LMU had been ther, they would have won?

You attacked a lady. You messed up!

I don't even cheer for LMU. Not sure what your point is there.

mee755
03-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Youve never said we when talking about the team?

You didn't give me much to work with

Do your research before you play.

mee755
03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Maybe if LMU had been ther, they would have won?

You attacked a lady. You messed up!

Never claimed to be a lady.

mnzag24
agreed, 68 points in regulation is pretty good defense on a good St. Marys team

no. the offensive boards of st. mary's, the 40%+ from 3. no, it was awful d. we went low on screens, let them shoot. WHY?!

GeorgiaZagFan

??? Edi and Dower shot 7 threes between them ..Pangos shot 10

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Do your research before you play.

Wow insightful information from you there. Do my research before I play. I will be sure to pass those words down to my future grandchildren.

mee755
03-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Mee, if only you were in the crowd and flashed the boobies! That would have won the game!

Totally tried in my living room in front of the big screen. Not good enough. We totally failed - me & the sisters. Total failures. We suck. Actually, we don't. We like to be sucked.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Here is the reality...

Off night and all... the boys played the mother-effing hearts out and I defy anyone to say otherwise. Just because shots aren't going in doesn't equate to not trying.

Rob put it all on the court tonight... I loved the isolations with Dellavadova...

I have a man-crush on Hart for keeping the WCC season alive for 5 more minutes.

former1dog
03-05-2012, 08:03 PM

#1 - Thats hogwash. We didn't give it away. The Gaels played a damn good game, especially defensively and took it to our team.

#2 - I'm blaming you for your cocky post earlier today proclaiming there was no way we could lose (I'm only kind of joking on this point, remember, Karma's a #####!)

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Here is the reality...

Off night and all... the boys played the mother-effing hearts out and I defy anyone to say otherwise. Just because shots aren't going in doesn't equate to not trying.

Rob put it all on the court tonight... I loved the isolations with Dellavadova...

Never once did I question our heart or hustle. We had too many opportunities that a top 25 teams needs to convert that we blew. And there is no other way to spin that.

mee755
03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I personally hustled.

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
??? Edi and Dower shot 7 threes between them ..Pangos shot 10

...and of the ten, probably 7 or 8 were decent looks that he would have drained a couple days ago...didn't really force that many...had his chances.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Here is the reality...

A lot of good shots for Pangos rattled in and out. A lot of shots rattled around and in for St. Mary's. It was just that kind of night. Pangos really only took one bad shot all night. His shot looked good - the arc was nice, the distance and lateral angle were good...they just didn't stay in the darn rim.

There have been Gonzaga teams in recent years who would not have fought this long and this hard to get back into this game when St. Mary's started to slip away.

These kids are going to be a tough out in the Dance.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Never once did I question our heart or hustle. We had too many opportunities that a top 25 teams needs to convert that we blew. And there is no other way to spin that.

Again... teams have off shooting nights... typically when that happens to a team they don't push the damn game to overtime. Yes... losing hurts... but don't denigrate the effort put in.

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Again... teams have off shooting nights... typically when that happens to a team they don't push the damn game to overtime. Yes... losing hurts... but don't denigrate the effort put in.

agreed...but when the shots aren't falling from three... really felt the zags should have gone back inside to sacre in ot. this should have been his game to lose...not dower's

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 08:14 PM

You all keep saying how I "denigrate" the effort. Please, I beg you, show me ONE point where I said a lack of effort caused this loss. I'll save you the time, I didn't.

Plays like Elias' rushed put back and edis missed layup cost us this game. We didn't make the plays that a team like this should make in a championship game. And that is why we lost. Not at all related to effort, which was off the charts.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
...and of the ten, probably 7 or 8 were decent looks that he would have drained a couple days ago...didn't really force that many...had his chances.
Agreed, and it seemed like early on they were just off a little, would rattle in and out!

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 08:21 PM
It is simple LMU. It is in the title of your thread. Good night, that is all

Well if you're going to take your misinterpretation of my title over my posts in this thread then sure, it is simple.

ZagLawGrad
03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Here is the reality...

Not a bad effort by the Zags, probably did play their hearts out for a good part of the game.

But I'd like to see this year's team end up with a few more "floor burns" than their opponents by the end of a game----like the Mike Spink days. Like that last minute of regulation tonight when the Zags forced OT---incredibly aggressive, tough and intense play.

Sometimes it's not all about having the most "talent". I think SMC showed that tonight. Gotta give the Gaels credit for ending up with more floor burns.

Footnote--floor burns being a point from Rick Lukens on radio before the game.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:22 PM
You all keep saying how I "denigrate" the effort. Please, I beg you, show me ONE point where I said a lack of effort caused this loss. I'll save you the time, I didn't.

Plays like Elias' rushed put back and edis missed layup cost us this game. We didn't make the plays that a team like this should make in a championship game. And that is why we lost. Not at all related to effort, which was off the charts.

I guess to say they gave it away... is to denigrate the effort. IMHO and yes it is MHO... they didn't give it away... they worked with the hand the basketball gods dealt them and still tried to find a way to win. I refuse to blame Pangos/Edi/Bell for treys that went 3/4 of the way in and came back out... just wasn't their night... #### happens. I love this team for what they showed tonight... I could care less about the final result when I know the worked hard and forced OT when they had no right doing so.. and I respect that SMC is a damn good team.

Zag@LMU
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I guess to say they gave it away... is to denigrate the effort. IMHO and yes it is MHO... they didn't give it away... they worked with the hand the basketball gods dealt them and still tried to find a way to win. I refuse to blame Pangos/Edi/Bell for treys that went 3/4 of the way in and came back out... just wasn't their night... #### happens. I love this team for what they showed tonight... I could care less about the final result when I know the worked hard and forced OT when they had no right doing so.. and I respect that SMC is a damn good team.

Well Im sorry that saying we had it away came off as a bash on our team effort. Because that was definitely not how I intended it.

WallaWallaZag
03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Well Im sorry that saying we had it away came off as a bash on our team effort. Because that was definitely not how I intended it.

good to know, because i agree with lizf on this one..."giving it away" to me implies less than 100% effort to me just as much as missed opportunities.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM

I guess age helps... based on other posts... I realize you know little about the Zags not succeeeding... my years on the campus... since I hate crowded bars... when the basketball team did well everyone went to Jack and Dans... and I went to the Bulldog... when they did crappy.. I went to Jack and Dans and everyone else went to the Bulldog... oh and I spent a TOOOOONNNN of time in the Viking. I spent a healthy amount of time in both local bars. Point being... I think us older folks just have a deeper appreciation of the now since we lived through what one could describe as the darker times of GU Hoops

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM

People will put spin on posts just as much as posts put spin on a game. Some only want to see the bright side. Others only want to see the dark side. But sometimes you have to address the dark in order to reach the light.

Go towards the light!!! GO TO THE LIGHT!!!!

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I guess age helps... based on other posts... I realize you know little about the Zags not succeeeding... my years on the campus... since I hate crowded bars... when the basketball team did well everyone went to Jack and Dans... and I went to the Bulldog... when they did crappy.. I went to Jack and Dans and everyone else went to the Bulldog... oh and I spent a TOOOOONNNN of time in the Viking. I spent a healthy amount of time in both local bars. Point being... I think us older folks just have a deeper appreciation of the now since we lived through what one could describe as the darker times of GU Hoops

Remember Ernies EZ Tavern up the street? It was an old train car cut in two and now is a big dry cleaners. 2 dollar LARGE pitchers and .25 cent pool till they closed up.

I was a Bulldog guy because of the pool tables. J&D's was too hard to play a game. Too small back then.

mee755
03-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I am really going to miss Rob after this season.

I will miss Rob more than you. Guaranteed.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Remember Ernies EZ Tavern up the street? It was an old train car cut in two and now is a big dry cleaners. 2 dollar LARGE pitchers and .25 cent pool till they closed up.

I was a Bulldog guy because of the pool tables. J&D's was too hard to play a game. Too small back then.

Think Ernies came later... I am a late 80s guy... Fast Eddies downtown was another one. Wish I could remember the name of the other bar that Peace Frog used to play in downtown... yeah... you late 80s guys and gals... I pulled that band's name out... how many of you remember seeing those guys play in Lord knows how many house parties.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I will miss Rob more than you. Guaranteed.

Oh... I ain't touching that one...

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
...it seemed like EVERY TIME the Zags crept into the polls this year...they would lose the next game. Made the polls, lost to Illinois and MSU, got back in and lost to St. Marys, got back in and lost to SF, and then just got back in and lost tonight!

I believe we are 24-1 as an "unranked" team!

gamagin
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Think Ernies came later... I am a late 80s guy... Fast Eddies downtown was another one. Wish I could remember the name of the other bar that Peace Frog used to play in downtown... yeah... you late 80s guys and gals... I pulled that band's name out... how many of you remember seeing those guys play in Lord knows how many house parties.

longtime neighborhood pub going back to at least the late '40's. Bernies, with a big, circulating shamrock out front, was owned by Bernie O'Neill.

It was located in the southwest quarter of the block bound by Hamilton and Mission. Bernies was all on hamilton. the sw corner of mission and Hamilton was taken up by a small dry cleaners for years. That space then became a BIG dry cleaners in the early 80's when Bernies was sold, torn down and replaced by the large Dry Cleaners known as Clark's Cleaners. Clark's is still there.

The original Bernies was made up of three street cars put on the lot in a U shape. Eventually the middle was filled in, leaving the street car exteriors in pace, and Bernies sat there as a third alternative (to the Bulldog and J & D's) in the St. Al's neighborhood for many more decades until Clark's came along.

asoc
03-06-2012, 04:25 AM

Is that the "we" you are referring to? Or are you a player? ... No wonder you lost. Your mind must not have been on the game.

The players feed off the energy of the fans and the energy in the building.
Those actively contributing to that atmosphere and energy are indeed participating in the game and having an effect on it.

Fans of a team should indeed consider themselves as part of the team because the fans do have a real effect.

It is why you saw Sacre constantly trying to get the crowd pumped up. He is pumped up and knows that getting the crowd pumped up will help the team stay pumped up. The energy in the building, of the team, of the fans it all feeds off each other.

There is nothing wrong with saying "we"

SWZag
03-06-2012, 05:46 AM

Why is there someone to blame? This was a great game between two very qualified teams. No one to blame.

SWZag

zagco
03-06-2012, 06:24 AM
To vent, Zagco likes to get down on the floor and bang his hands, screaming "WHY, WHY, WHY?!?!"

siliconzag
03-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Sometimes people just need to spill their guts and wail a bit. There are many forms of wailing. Some hyperventilate, others cry real tears, others rant and rave and disparage the players or the coach. Unfortunately only one team can win, although I don't think the Zags should hang their heads or wallow with regret or self criticism. They did their best. Were their guards better? Hello. Yes they were. Did they out rebound us? No. Did they outhustle us. Again no. Did they outcoach us. Well, maybe. But still it was a decent effort, and SMC played great last night and made crucial shots at crucia times. When they came back against our 9 point lead I knew we were going to lose. The shot causing the overtime was just a tease. We had no answer for stopping Mr. D. Our defensive strategy left them with repeated mismatches that produced bunnies, that they did not miss.

I remember when I was about nine years old the aftermath of the game between Seattle U and Kentucky. I felt so badly when Seattle U lost to Kentucky in the finals of the NCAA in 1958 that I had a complete melt down. I cried, make that, sobbed myself to sleep. I think whenever a team that I love, especially Gonzaga loses that it brings me a measure of the devastating disappointment I experienced so many years ago. I have however given up on the sobbing routine. I think my reaction scared me to the extent that I have found other ways of coping with disappointment. Actually I live in a perfect place for it. A couple bottles of good redwine shared good friends helped last night.

I think everyone is entitled to his or her reactions or overreactions, even if they are emotional and melodramatic. Part of me remembered the hurt and pain of my nine year old self when the game was over last night. And then I remembered it was just a game, and besides there was no shame in their effort. We just got clipped by a team that was hot, and we made it close, and competed well. Their game plan, their execution and yes, their luck, were better last night. As much as I truly despise St. Mary's, I wish them well in the tournament, I really do. I think last night was the first time I have ever seen Randy Bennett's teeth. You have to admit that Coach Bennett is more affable than Coach Rupp was. Hats off to him and the Gaels.

Sili

ZagNative
03-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Totally tried in my living room in front of the big screen. Not good enough. We totally failed - me & the sisters. Total failures. We suck. Actually, we don't. We like to be sucked.Mee, enough already. Not funny, not cute.

bartruff1
03-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Why is there someone to blame? This was a great game between two very qualified teams. No one to blame.

SWZag The good news is my dog came home this morning, he doesn't like the Zags....

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2012, 08:48 AM

I was a frosh in 1987. Does that qualify as late 80's or mid 80's?

LongIslandZagFan
03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
You ever party at the lodge? Delta house? Or one of the various houses that used to be behind Madonna?

Zag79
03-06-2012, 10:43 AM

SWZag

I think people are making this too black and white. If you point out obvious reasons we lost, your whining to some. If you loved the heart and over all play of both teams but can't talk about realisticera sons we lost, your living in la la land. To me it's in between. I appreciated the amazing game that it was,how hard our guys battles, and I also give SMC the credit that is due. That being said, I don't blame any one person for the loss but I have perfectly good reasons to feel like we blew it. Missing that many open threes is blowing it. Allowing a repeated iso play to create an easy rebound and put back mismatch under our basket over and over is blowing it. You can lose a very entertaining game that both teams gave it there all and still feel like you gave it away. Being an athlete and playing i many games like last night i know the feeling. This board is to discuss why you lost, won, coulda/woulda/shoulda's. Some people are overly negative (fire Few, we suck, it's all over), and some are unrealistically upbeat (we tried so its ok, Few is perfect, nothing is ever wrong). I choose the middle, we played really hard, it was a great game, but I feel like we let one get away.

WallaWallaZag
03-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I think people are making this too black and white. If you point out obvious reasons we lost, your whining to some. If you loved the heart and over all play of both teams but can't talk about realisticera sons we lost, your living in la la land. To me it's in between. I appreciated the amazing game that it was,how hard our guys battles, and I also give SMC the credit that is due. That being said, I don't blame any one person for the loss but I have perfectly good reasons to feel like we blew it. Missing that many open threes is blowing it. Allowing a repeated iso play to create an easy rebound and put back mismatch under our basket over and over is blowing it. You can lose a very entertaining game that both teams gave it there all and still feel like you gave it away. Being an athlete and playing i many games like last night i know the feeling. This board is to discuss why you lost, won, coulda/woulda/shoulda's. Some people are overly negative (fire Few, we suck, it's all over), and some are unrealistically upbeat (we tried so its ok, Few is perfect, nothing is ever wrong). I choose the middle, we played really hard, it was a great game, but I feel like we let one get away.

again, i have issues with your definition of "blowing it" or "giving it away"...i would think, correct me if i'm wrong, that to most people blowing it or giving it away is usually attached to something you can directly control or something that should be more of a given (like missing free throws or layups)...or like playing stupid and making stupid turnover after turnover like the zags have in a few games this year, or not playing as hard as the other team and constantly giving up rebounds due to effort. i guess you can say you have a measure of control over missing 3 pointers, but i just don't think you can say the zags blew it or gave it away because pangos and edi shot 4-24 and 1-13 from three. to me, that's called having an off night, not "blowing it."

edited to add: also, when you say the zags blew it or gave it away, you are absolutely taking credit away from smc...as in the zags are absolutely the better team and absolutely should have won but somehow f'd it up...i don't think anyone who watched that game would agree with you. yes, the zags coulda won...but not shoulda.

former1dog
03-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm going to repeat this, I blame Zags@LMU for this loss:

http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=39070

You tempted fate, my friend, and now we're all suffering for it.

I don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Zag79
03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
again, i have issues with your definition of "blowing it" or "giving it away"...i would think, correct me if i'm wrong, that to most people blowing it or giving it away is usually attached to something you can directly control or something that should be more of a given (like missing free throws or layups)...or like playing stupid and making stupid turnover after turnover like the zags have in a few games this year, or not playing as hard as the other team and constantly giving up rebounds due to effort. i guess you can say you have a measure of control over missing 3 pointers, but i just don't think you can say the zags blew it or gave it away because pangos and edi shot 4-24 and 1-13 from three. to me, that's called having an off night, not "blowing it."

edited to add: also, when you say the zags blew it or gave it away, you are absolutely taking credit away from smc...as in the zags are absolutely the better team and absolutely should have won but somehow f'd it up...i don't think anyone who watched that game would agree with you. yes, the zags coulda won...but not shoulda.

To me missing that many threes in a one possession game is blowing it. I have played ball my whole life, and if my team lost by a bucket with me going 3 for 18 I would say I blew it for my team. If I missed a wide open layup, had my guard defend the other teams big allowing rebound put backs over and over, or stolen a pass only to throw it away, well I would feel like we blew it in a one possession game.

WallaWallaZag
03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
To me missing that many threes in a one possession game is blowing it. I have played ball my whole life, and if my team lost by a bucket with me going 3 for 18 I would say I blew it for my team. If I missed a wide open layup, had my guard defend the other teams big allowing rebound put backs over and over, or stolen a pass only to throw it away, well I would feel like we blew it in a one possession game.

ok, that's fine...then don't say you aren't blaming anyone, because you are directly saying pangos blew it in your reply...and i'm ok with that. i'm also pretty confident that pangos will 95% of the time not go 1-10 on threes. i would also be comfortable with pangos coming out and saying he blew it as you described above...but i'm not as sure that it's for you to say...but that is just personal opinion in that i don't feel fans should be calling out players.

Zag79
03-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Excuse me, I'm not blaming any one player considering its a team sport. You have games where your off from three, can't shoot, etc. Regardless, Pangos being cold, us letting GBJ get out rebounded by Waldow due to the iso play, many factors allowing us to lose in such a close game can be considered blowing it. Players and coaches take more accountability than most on this board think, I'm sure Kevin and the team feel like they "blew it" all things considered.

WallaWallaZag
03-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Excuse me, I'm not blaming any one player considering its a team sport. You have games where your off from three, can't shoot, etc. Regardless, Pangos being cold, us letting GBJ get out rebounded by Waldow due to the iso play, many factors allowing us to lose in such a close game can be considered blowing it. Players and coaches take more accountability than most on this board think, I'm sure Kevin and the team feel like they "blew it" all things considered.

ok, well we can agree to have different definitions of "blowing it" i guess...but the way you are defining it, basically every team that loses a game is "blowing it"...or at least every close game.

IrishZagFan
03-06-2012, 02:26 PM

I'd rep you if I could f1d......

Zag79
03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
ok, well we can agree to have different definitions of "blowing it" i guess...but the way you are defining it, basically every team that loses a game is "blowing it"...or at least every close game.

When I see certain things that could have easily been fixed or done sifferently to give us a better chance to win, yes in a close one possession game thats blowing it to me. Ive been in countless games that I missed an open look, we turned the ball over, played bad defense, and after the game we felt like we blew it. By that I simply mean we had the chance to beat them, and blew it. Didnt get it done. As opposed to getting smoked or run out of the gym knowing you needed to do alot of things differently. I should probably state that when we blew a chance to win a big game, it's more about the technicalities of some things we could have done differently that would have given us a better chance to win as opposed to being upset over losing a hard fought game. I'm always proud of my Zags. Being a student of the game just makes me more likely to discuss and wonder about the woulda coulda/shoulda's, for the love of the game if you will as opposed to knocking a player or team. As for blowing it, I've said that enough in this post that I almost forgot where I am... Is this the FOO? :D

IrishZagFan
03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
When I see certain things that could have easily been fixed or done differently to give us a better chance to win, yes in a close one possession game thats blowing it to me. Ive been in countless games that I missed an open look, we turned the ball over, played bad defense, and after the game we felt like we blew it. By that I simply mean we had the chance to beat them, and blew it. Didnt get it done. As opposed to getting smoked or run out of the gym knowing you needed to do alot of things differently. I should probably state that when we blew a chance to win a big game, it's more about the technicalities of some things we could have done differently that would have given us a better chance to win as opposed to being upset over losing a hard fought game. I'm always proud of my Zags. Being a student of the game just makes me more likely to discuss and wonder about the woulda coulda/shoulda's, for the love of the game if you will as opposed to knocking a player or team. As for blowing it, I've said that enough in this post that I almost forgot where I am... Is this the FOO? :D

Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends.....When the season is over, the Foo season begins..... :D

Zag@LMU
03-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Well if you're looking for an apology you're looking in the wrong place.

mee755
03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Mee, enough already. Not funny, not cute.

Sorry, ZN. Not trying to be funny or cute. Just making a point. The truth ain't always pretty.

Zag79
03-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends.....When the season is over, the Foo season begins..... :D

:roll: Damn straight! I wouldn't have it any other way... See ya there IZF!! :cheers: