PDA

View Full Version : Officiating

webspinnre
03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Wanted to post this now, before something might come up to change my mind. I've been pleasantly surprised by the officiating these past two games. The officials are mostly letting them play, and just calling the fouls that need to be called. If only all the games could be officiated in this manner. Big thumbs up.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Wasn't the refs in this game. Gonzaga just has no defense and we didn't get the ball to Pangos early to let him get hot. We went inside and let Pangos get cold.

WanderingZag
03-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I clicked this thread thinking officiating would be blamed for our potential loss, which is not the case. Pleasantly surprised by the thread! I totally agree with you. The reffing was pretty dang good.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Aint over YET!!!!!!!!!! But our offense is so stagnant.

jpn17
03-05-2012, 07:27 PM
That foul on Pangos when it was tied in OT against Dellavedova was awful, but otherwise I do agree that the officiating was decent enough. Gonzaga had their chances to win this game and couldn't get it done.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Dellavedova travel.

Saxon_zag
03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Well officiated game for the most part. The officials performed their job amicably, better execution than Mark Few and his defensive "gameplan" imo.

WanderingZag
03-05-2012, 07:31 PM
That foul on Pangos when it was tied in OT against Dellavedova was awful, but otherwise I do agree that the officiating was decent enough. Gonzaga had their chances to win this game and couldn't get it done.

If that's an awful call, I'll take it every day of the week.

kclubfounder
03-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Thank my dear Lord. A thread that has the word 'officiating' in it that doesn't embarrass me as a Zag fan.

PTL!!!

PTL!!!!

mnzag24
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
i did think it was ironic that the ref that was mic'ed up said "freedom of movement" and yet we got bumped on fast breaks almost everytime at half court. other than that, it was pretty good all around, even the half bald guy that normally i can not stand.

gamagin
03-05-2012, 07:39 PM
good job. they were as they were supposed to be. pretty much invisible.

rijman
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I thought the officiating was good overall. That foul on Pangos was a tough call at a critical point of the game. If the foul goes the other way it may have changed the final outcome.

jpn17
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I thought the officiating was good overall. That foul on Pangos was a tough call at a critical point of the game. If the foul goes the other way it may have changed the final outcome.

It was tough I just can't see the justification for it going one way or the other. It's a loose ball, no players have position and they are both going for the ball and both collide with each other. I've seen no foul called on that type of play plenty of times.

But like I said I don't want make it sound like I'm blaming the loss on that call because I'm not. It was just a call that I disagreed with.

fedwayzag
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I agree this was the best officiated game in a long time. Nothing for either side to complain about. They let the players decide the game

former1dog
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Refs let them play tonight and were consistent on both ends of the floor.

willandi
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
My first thought was to agree! But when I saw the disparity in free throws, and on whom the fouls were called, I have to wonder. We had one foul out, and two with 4. They had none in serious foul trouble at the end of the game. Was it the best officiated WCC game of the year? Probably. But I can't help but think what if. If Waldow/Jones are called for the hacks inside. If Delly is called for all the hand checking, off arm clearing on drives, the game is different.
Just saying!
Thought the Gaels played well tonight. Will probably root for all the WCC teams in the tourney (rather than against them), but still not sure that if the game were called cleanly that we don't win.
GO ZAGS!!

GeorgiaZagFan
03-05-2012, 08:39 PM
My first thought was to agree! But when I saw the disparity in free throws, and on whom the fouls were called, I have to wonder. We had one foul out, and two with 4. They had none in serious foul trouble at the end of the game. Was it the best officiated WCC game of the year? Probably. But I can't help but think what if. If Waldow/Jones are called for the hacks inside. If Delly is called for all the hand checking, off arm clearing on drives, the game is different.
Just saying!
Thought the Gaels played well tonight. Will probably root for all the WCC teams in the tourney (rather than against them), but still not sure that if the game were called cleanly that we don't win.
GO ZAGS!!

I also saw early in the 2nd half when the Gaels extended their lead..there were a number of times that Harris was in position and got pushed in the back...they finally called one when it was just TOO obvious not to....that being said, I liked the way the game was called....if they had called it tighter, Delly would have "flailed" his way to about a dozen cheap free throws.

roxdoc
03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Thought the game was called well. I did think the Deli/Pangos collision should have been a no-call. I think it probably affected the game and it would if it were called the othe way. An officials nightmare - don't want a call near the end to have a consequence unless it is an obvious foul - which this was not. I would have been happier with an out of bounds call against whoever touched it last.

caduceus
03-05-2012, 09:28 PM
My opinion was it was well officiated. Wasn't happy with the foul disparity in the 2nd half, but the mismatches probably were a factor.

Would have liked a no-call on that Pangos-Delly play, but in all fairness Delly had 2 hands on the ball (not control though) and Pangos had none, looking at the replay.

I just wish WCC officiating was like this all season. Like night and day in comparison.