• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

A moment of appreciation

Lets take a moment to appreciate something incredible.

The consistency of Gonzaga University Men's Basketball. It is an absolute testimony to a masteful job done by Mark Few, his staff and the athletic department at Gonzaga.

This is Gonzaga's 15th straight appearance in the WCC Men's championship game tonight.

Barring some natural disaster, Gonzaga will make its 14th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance.

Gonzaga had an 11 consecutive season streak of regular season championships and were literally a 2 point lay up away from stretching that streak to 12 seasons.

Next year, the team is once again going to be very, very good.

Wow.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

amen....doggie....esp when u look at the villanovas and pitts who were such powers recently but now also rans......look at poor iona this year. lost in semis and prob wont make the dance. we are blessed.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Very true

And this year we will move up on the list of consecutive tournament appearances. Texas was tied with us as making it every year since 1999. This year they are very unlikely to make it. Arizona, which had gone to 24 straight tournaments until 2010, is likely to again miss the dance this year.

I could be wrong but I think we are now tied with Wisconsin and behind only Kansas, Duke, and Michigan State for most consecutive NCAA appearances (assuming Texas is left out this year).

That means the Zags have made the tournament more years consecutively than any team in the Big East, Pac 12, or SEC. The following storied programs have all missed at least one and sometimes more tournaments since Gonzaga's run started: UCLA, Arizona, Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana, UConn, Syracuse, Maryland, Florida, Memphis. This also includes other "mid majors" with significant success during this window, including Creighton and Butler.

Kansas, Duke, Michigan State--then us. Not bad in terms of consistency. Many, many programs would die to be as consistently good as Gonzaga has been.

Comment

• zag buddy
        Banned
        • Dec 2007

Great coaches, thank goodness they do not listen to us.

Comment

• Zag79
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post

The consistency of Gonzaga University Men's Basketball. It is an absolute testimony to a masteful job done by Mark Few, his staff and the athletic department at Gonzaga.

This is Gonzaga's 15th straight appearance in the WCC Men's championship game tonight.

Barring some natural disaster, Gonzaga will make its 14th consecutive NCAA tournament appearance.

Gonzaga had an 11 consecutive season streak of regular season championships and were literally a 2 point lay up away from stretching that streak to 12 seasons.

Wow.
          Great post F1, I totally agree. After our first E8 run and a couple S16's my expectations started to climb higher and higher leading to more disappointment even after a good season (i.e. S16 UCLA loss). I've taken the never too high never too low approach to Gonzaga basketball, and it's helped me appreciate what we have accomplished much better. I still go nuts during games, cheering the victories and feeling true dissapointment after losses. But I also cherish and just enjoy watching the fellas ball out every year win or lose. This team is a luxury to a city like Spokane, and we are lucky to make March every year and see want happens. Until we get a burger boy or two championship dreams may be just that, but having the opportunity to make the run annually is a real treat. Having said that, this team is one I feel is built for tournament runs and I'm going to have a blast watching regardless of the outcome.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Great Post F1.......

We're so spoiled we don't realize it sometimes, especially this time of year. When people keep saying that anything less than an E8 run means the season is a failure, WOW, how to even respond to that.

It's been a he!! of a ride for over a decade, the ride isn't over yet, and doesn't look to be anytime in the near future.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• McZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Thank you Mark Few and Staff!

Your contribution to Gonzaga University is virtually unmatched in its 125 year history.

sigpic
              Gonzaga Basketball
              Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Comment

• Zag79
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                We're so spoiled we don't realize it sometimes, especially this time of year. When people keep saying that anything less than an E8 run means the season is a failure, WOW, how to even respond to that.

It's been a he!! of a ride for over a decade, the ride isn't over yet, and doesn't look to be anytime in the near future.

Go ZAGS
                Exactly. I think all the success has left some people forgetting just how small we really are still. We aren't a BCS school, we don't get burger boys, we don't have the size/money/fan base of most successful schools... And yet every March there we are poised to make a run and make headlines once again. It's an unbelievable story in itself that we have reached this level, maintained, and possibly have an even better future. Go Zags!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

Just for perspective, I started school at GU in the fall of 1992. During that span of twenty seasons, Gonzaga has never come close to having a losing record. During that same twenty years, Gonzaga's worst conference finish was fourth place - for the 1995 team that won the WCC Tournament and became Gonzaga's first ever NCAA team.

The current streak of NCAA teams is great, but this was a very competitive and very consistent program before 1999.
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• cjm720
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Great thread!

Beat St. Mary's!!!!
                    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• abarefootboy
                      Kennel Club
                      • Nov 2007

gratitude

... i gotta say having Gonzaga my favorite home team .. and living in Spokane ... has given my own self-esteem .. a blood transfusion !
                      humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

• zag67
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

Agree

Like so many of you. Thanks.
                        Thanks to the coaches.
                        Thanks to the seniors.
                        Thanks to all of the rest for the hard work they have done and allowed us to enjoy another GREAT year.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                          • Apr 2011

Lotta different flavors this season. Some bitter and unpalatable, some so very savory and sweet. Definitely a thank you to all that have made this possible.

These kids' on-court performances have to support the hopes and dreams of many. That is not easy, and for most would be crushing.

Having said all that, I only wish we could be a team and fan base that expected an Elite 8 every year. We could only be so lucky. And I don't say that to start a fight/create contention, just my honest and true feelings.

Either way, this program isn't going to all of the sudden disappear. You can't win if you can't play, and you can't play unless you are on the field.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post

Wow.
                            +1
                            'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• former1dog
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I'm doubling down on my appreciation for our team! Great effort tonight, they fought and fought. Sometimes it just doesn't go your way, but these guys literally bleed for us and they deserve our love.

Comment

Working...
                              X