PDA

View Full Version : Last nights game vs BYU was a masterpiece

Reborn
03-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I have always said that I love passing, and Few has slowly built one of the best passing teams he has coached. The passing last night was brilliant and beautiful. The Zags must have passed at least 8-10 times before shooting, and really moved BYU's defense around and made them work hard. The Zags passing slowly wore the Cougs down and they got more and more tired as the game progressed. And make no mistake! BYU is a very, very good defensive team.

I also really liked the way that Coach Few used Elias. He had him often playing the point, while moving Pangos to the two. Elias' passing was excellent last night. And Pangos' was too. Because Few's plan worked to perfection, Few only had to use Stockton for six minutes and that really helped. Also Marquis played the game last night that he is capable of playing, and that he needs to play as the Zags go forward. Carter was brilliant last night, and I was so happy for him. He is going to come through in the end like we all hoped he would.

The execution on offense last night was as good as I've seen from any Zag team. And I believe it comes because, as Few said along time ago, because this team is (and has been all year) coachable. If you love basketball, and I know you all do, you had to love that game last night. When I coached alot, I began each season by stressing that the most important thing on the offensive end of the court is passing. It's a lost art and GU sowed last night what can happen to a good defensive team if you move the ball on them and make your opponent work on defense. The game against BYU last night was as beautiful and wonderful for Zag fans as BYU's game in the NCAA tournament last last year was for BYU fans. WE did spank 'em last night. And we spanked 'em hard.

For me what showed so brilliantly last night was the pride of being a Zag. I know some of you still don't know what it is to be a Zag, but I promise you that what you saw last night was everything it means to be a Zag. They played with the kind of fire that has on occasion been taken for granted. The fire is not lit by all the Great Zag teams in the past. Each team, as they go forward, must light that fire. And that's what they did last night. I really loved that game last night.

bullzag23
03-04-2012, 07:26 AM
The first 8 minutes of the game when we were up like 21-5 had to have been the best stretch GU has played this entire season.

zagfan24
03-04-2012, 07:30 AM
Nice post, Reborn.

Limited Turnovers + Defensive Intensity + Great Passing = Zags success

The cohesiveness of this years' team is reflected in their unselfish play. The team clearly doesn't care who has a big game on any given night...all about winning with this bunch. You can see it in the reaction from the bench as well.

former1dog
03-04-2012, 07:38 AM
The exciting thing to me is that as well as GU played, I still think there is a ton of room for improvement, especially in offensive execution.

LongIslandZagFan
03-04-2012, 07:59 AM
The exciting thing to me is that as well as GU played, I still think there is a ton of room for improvement, especially in offensive execution.

Totally agree... There were times where it seemed to get really flustered by BYUs defense. Yet they still put up close to 80 on one of the better defensive teams in D1 basketball.

DCZag
03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Our intensity was great, our execution better than it has been, but I'd like to spread the load a little more - though Pangos didn't do anything out of the flow of the offense - we'll need a couple more options going forward.

The first 8-10 minutes of the game truly represented the potetial this team has.

Birddog
03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
They played incredibly smart ball for the most part. The single biggest area for improvement is in managing the shot clock IMO. They had about a half dozen cases of either shot clock violations or hurried bad shots to avoid same. That needs to be addressed.

bartruff1
03-04-2012, 10:24 AM
After a few games like this and the St John's game.....