PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm biased

ZagHouse
03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
but to outside observers, fans of the other teams, when we travel we can't be as obnoxious and as over zealous as the Cougar fans who have made the trip? Or can we?

MDABE80
03-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Nah.....they're pros at being aholes;) It's just a hobby for us.!!!

ZagNative
03-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Near as I can tell, they boo every foul call, legit or not.

Oregonzagnut
03-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Nah.....they're pros at being aholes;) It's just a hobby for us.!!!

They are "pros" at it. IF they weren't so prim and proper they would be worse than Oakland raiders fans or Manchester United fans. BYU is used to having 50,000 fans at football games. Their teams have blind loyal fan support, big $$$, and significant television ratings that rival Notre Dame football. Their fans have a right to be cocky and arrogant because BYU is good at every sport they compete in. That same "arrogant" fan support is part of what makes their whole system so strong. Recruiting within their massive religion (stakes) is a no brainer for any elite LDS athlete.

Give me a hat and a rock to talk to God and I would be powerful too. Does my Gonzaga cap and a shot glass count?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Anyone who cheers for a team other than the Zags has some form of mental imperfection. Then again, I'm biased too.

DixieZag
03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I think we were very guilty of being cocky when we won the league by 6 games and had the league drop our RPI by dozens throughout piling up win after win. But, how can one not be cocky (re: confident - not worried) when that is the situation.

Now that the league is tough AND improved and our RPI (or at least top 50 wins) improved b/c of the league and we will have to play better than we have all year to win the tourney, I hear plenty of respect for all the other teams, except USF - and they have earned it. We KNOW how tough our league is and worry about it.

BYU had the same attitude we HAD (confident - not worried) but also entitled to win before a game was played, convinced their 24,000 seat arena (they always include the number) means they are much better AND the officials have been plotting against them all year and they would be undefeated otherwise. I don't think we approached that level of obnoxiousness.