PDA

View Full Version : Away Game Shooting % Explained?

DixieZag
03-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I just read an article in the NYT

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/sports/ncaabasketball/college-home-teams-can-pick-their-brands-of-basketballs.html?pagewanted=2&ref=sports"

I did not know that the home team was allowed to use any of a number of brands that they may chose. It is often tied to their contracts with Nike or Addidas as to the type of ball they use. The article emphasizes that there can be significant differences in balls including grip, deepness of ridges, and even small size and weight differences and that players certainly notice.

Teams sometimes practice with other team's bbs the days before a game - other coaches don't want to get it too far into their players' heads. I was surprised that there was not a uniform ball - no matter the brand.

I instantly thought of our difference between home/away 3 pt percentage. Any thoughts other than I am out of my mind?

DixieZag
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
My links never work.:fingergun:

cjm720
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Interesting...don't think Pangos would ever use that excuse though.

DixieZag
03-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Pangos would not use a broken hand as an excuse. It just "could" have something to do with that "feeling it" mental confidence.

Probably nothing about nothing - but I just couldn't believe different brands did not have to conform exactly.

04ZagFan
03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
This is a very interesting topic you bring up, DixieZag. I thought about this a few days ago. I don't remember which games I was watching, but I noticed that one game was using a Nike ball, and another game was using a Wilson ball.

From someone who plays basketball several times a week, I will tell you there is a huge difference between two brands of basketballs. Wilson is by far my favorite, where Nike is one of my least favorite. Now, I think there are definitely other factors to why we seem to struggle on the road, and quite possibly the basketball has nothing to do with it, but it is very interesting nonetheless. Make no mistake about it. Different brands are a lot different. I think they should use ONE ball throughout D1 college basketball. Seems silly not to.

bostonzagfan
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
all i can say is, i hope gonzaga uses the same ball they use in the ncaa tournament.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Everyone loves to play with their own balls.

JPtheBeasta
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Everyone loves to play with their own balls.

QFT. Oh wait! I see what you did there... :]

jim77
03-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I think Rims have as much to do with as the ball does...and how close the walls are to the floor. A tight rim will cause more in-and-outs while a soft rim is more forgiving. The kennel has soft rims....which helps more shots go down AND it also helps ones confidence knowing this...the player knows he simply has a better chance of it going in. If you've ever shot on a playground with a rubber ball you know what what I'm talking about....lots of in-and-outs. A player with great arc can lessen the effects because the ball is coming straight down where the guys with less arc will be affected more.

To me depth perception can cause it too..... the bottom line though is players are generally more comfortable shooting at home.

gamagin
03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I think Rims have as much to do with as the ball does...and how close the walls are to the floor. A tight rim will cause more in-and-outs while a soft rim is more forgiving. The kennel has soft rims....which helps more shots go down AND it also helps ones confidence knowing this...the player knows he simply has a better chance of it going in. If you've ever shot on a playground with a rubber ball you know what what I'm talking about....lots of in-and-outs. A player with great arc can lessen the effects because the ball is coming straight down where the guys with less arc will be affected more.

To me depth perception can cause it too..... the bottom line though is players are generally more comfortable shooting at home.

humidity, elevation. Rims. It goes on. they're called home court advantages. Like the Kennel Club for us. Didn't our game vs. Portland start out with women's balls (that doesn't sound right) and continue for 10 minutes or so before it was discovered ?

The celtics used to have a parquet floor which had famous flat spots that the vets knew about but the visitors many times did not. The ball would bounce funny, if at all, on those spots and tend to take a player out of his game.

ALL this stuff part of the home town advantages. Seems like the champions learn how to play through the peculiarities, and keep on winning, while others do not.

Even when the reffing sucks.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
The celtics used to have a parquet floor which had famous flat spots that the vets knew about but the visitors many times did not. The ball would bounce funny, if at all, on those spots and tend to take a player out of his game.

That story always makes me chuckle. It was one of many reasons why Celtic fans were so reluctant to tear down that all barn.

My high school gym had a pair of awful dead spots right near the half court line. For home games, coach would direct us to set up half court traps that would drive opposing ball handlers into those exact locations. We probably forced a dozen turnovers a season just by knowing exactly where the dead spots were.

04ZagFan
03-02-2012, 04:55 PM

Absolutely. There is a big difference between shooting in the Spokane Arena, and shooting in the old Kennel. The smaller the gym, the better it is to shoot it, for most shooters. So many variables.

Baseline
03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
The key is to understand why some adapt easily and some don't. Its still a big mystery to me. Same height, basket size. Some backboards are different in the bounce, but everyone uses the same ball and basket.

Oregonzagnut
03-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I always tell myself it is the golfer and not the clubs that is the real problem. Do I now have to re-think what everyone taught me?

But seriously, while there are small differences in every ball, the fact is that there are standards that EVERY ball must adhere to and it is not as diverse as what you can buy at sports authority. I think they have covered this form of bias and they say to every Div1 team, "You must play with this ball" Each major maker of basketballs make balls that qualify to be used in an actual game. Just like in the NFL. If it was that open to choice, we would be hearing about this. In fact we did one year. Remember when they tried to change the internal manufacturing of the ball to make it MORE uniform? Nobody liked it , the balls were too perfect.

But we aren't. For all practical purposes they use the same balls, with the same air pressure and the same seam and surface structure.

04ZagFan
03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Remember when they tried to change the internal manufacturing of the ball to make it MORE uniform? Nobody liked it , the balls were too perfect.

But we aren't. For all practical purposes they use the same balls, with the same air pressure and the same seam and surface structure.

Not to take it off topic, but that's not why everybody liked the balls. They sucked.

Oregonzagnut
03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Not to take it off topic, but that's not why everybody liked the balls. They sucked.

So not to go even more off topic, but just how did they "suck". BTW, I said "nobody liked" them, not "everyone liked" them. Being too perfect was sarcastic to a point but they tried to take out all the imperfections in a ball and when they finished the balls "sucked". I agree. They supposedly were made better, had better materials and were scientifically balanced and uniform. But that made the balls even worse than when they had more variety in the balls.

That is just my opinion on why they "sucked". But to go back on topic, the balls allowed in all NCAA Div1 games are pretty much the same.

04ZagFan
03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
So not to go even more off topic, but just how did they "suck". BTW, I said "nobody liked" them, not "everyone liked" them. Being too perfect was sarcastic to a point but they tried to take out all the imperfections in a ball and when they finished the balls "sucked". I agree. They supposedly were made better, had better materials and were scientifically balanced and uniform. But that made the balls even worse than when they had more variety in the balls.

That is just my opinion on why they "sucked". But to go back on topic, the balls allowed in all NCAA Div1 games are pretty much the same.

Ok, I see what you meant then. Yeah, I agree.

They were micro fiber composite and where like the 20 dollar indoor/outdoor balls you'd get at Wal-Mart. Glad they did away with that.

However I will say, there is a definite noticeable difference between Spalding/Wilson/Nike balls.