PDA

View Full Version : “It’s nice to be able to go into the tournament and know you’re not sweating it.”

Therunner
03-01-2012, 10:13 AM
So says Coach Few to Meehan (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/feb/29/gonzaga-enters-wcc-tourney-few-worries/) this morning. In reference to making the NCAA Tourney this year.

Is he right?

Are we 100% certain we're in IF we lose to BYU on Saturday?

Is 24 wins good enough? Most say 25 is the *magic* number.

Must say, this may be my least favorite Mark Few quote in the past 12 years as Head Coach.

Meanwhile, BYU players, fans, coaches all saying they MUST beat us to get a shot at controlling their own destiny & the NCAA Tourney.

The Cougs are desperate, ready to pounce, and have more than something to play for -- they want to WIN to advance to just get a chance at making it...

Based on Coach Few's recent quote it seems we're kicking our feet up and coasting our way to the NCAA's, yet thinking a WCC Tourney win would be "nice & cute" to add to our resume for better seeding.

Anyway, does every single person think we're a lock for the Tourney?

Sorry to admit, but I don't buy it and enough with the RPI in the 20's talk, it means nothing besides for seeding purposes ONCE teams are in. Don't forget, we've never lost in the Semi's of our Conference tourney before and could really hurt us come Selection Sunday, especially since we didn't win the regular season title (this perception in the eyes of Committee members, which is all that it takes to miss out.)

We just need to erase all doubts and do everything we can to win and get to the finals of WCC or else -- well, I feel we could be blindsided & left out.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-01-2012, 10:16 AM
100 percent is a lot of percent. I would say 99%.
I quibble with your interpretation of the RPI. It's not like we'll be the last team in and then the committee will suddenly "discover" we have a top 25 RPI and give us a 6 seed.
Our solid RPI is a result of our good wins, good losses and good record. The committee does look at those parameters.
A second question:
Are win in if we lose to San Diego?

BroncoZAG615
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I'd only worry about not making the tournament if Gonzaga gets shut out by BYU. Otherwise, I'd say it is a total lock.

Actually, we will still be in even if we get shut out.

Therunner
03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
100 percent is a lot of percent. I would say 99%.
I quibble with your interpretation of the RPI. It's not like we'll be the last team in and then the committee will suddenly "discover" we have a top 25 RPI and give us a 6 seed.
Our solid RPI is a result of our good wins, good losses and good record. The committee does look at those parameters.

A second question:
Are win in if we lose to San Diego?

I agree re: RPI, yet its only 1 of 10+ 'parameters' they utilize to decide teams and seeding. I recall an interview with the Committee Chair awhile back when a certain team with a RPI of around 45 missed the cut. ESPN analysts and talking heads were all in a frenzy stating, "how can you leave said team out of the field with an RPI under 50." The Committee Chair calmly responded by saying, "RPI isn't the end-all and is only one tool we utilize mostly for seeding purposes anyway..." This interview stuck with me. I can't recall the team (I believe it was an ACC team for some reason), yet I'll never forget the Analysts claiming "What about their RPI?!?" and the Committee Chair dismissing this statistic in the bigger picture of why they left the team out.

Also, are you calling for the BYU upset FHFH? I like USD's moxy as of late, yet I have a feeling they're going to win by 20+ vs Grier's guys tomorrow...Davies & Hartsock are too active/efficient for USD to handle.

JPtheBeasta
03-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I haven't followed this much this year, but what are the talking heads saying? Last I looked GU was a 7 seed (I think). What are the last four in looking like? If our resume is still better than theirs despite a loss in the WCC tournament, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Lunardi's last four:
Xavier
Miami
Texas
Northwestern

Texas struggled against the really bad Texas A&M and needed overtime to win. We beat Xavier and are frankly a better team. I don't know about the other two, and am too lazy to research. Lunardi also has BYU in, so take that as you will

FroZAG
03-01-2012, 10:27 AM
The only way we have a chance at not getting in is if we lose to SD or Pepp as well as sustain injuries to Pangos, Harris, AND Sacre. Even if that all happened there is a good chance we would still get a bid.

With that said, I also don't appreciate the quote....seems to be pretty lackadaisical.

zag944
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Lundardi has us as a 7, so I think we are good. Playing well in this tourney is important though. Id certainley like to avoid the dredded 8/9 game.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I agree re: RPI, yet its only 1 of 10+ 'parameters' they utilize to decide teams and seeding. I recall an interview with the Committee Chair awhile back when a certain team with a RPI of around 45 missed the cut. ESPN analysts and talking heads were all in a frenzy stating, "how can you leave said team out of the field with an RPI under 50." The Committee Chair calmly responded by saying, "RPI isn't the end-all and is only one tool we utilize mostly for seeding purposes anyway..." This interview stuck with me. I can't recall the team (I believe it was an ACC team for some reason), yet I'll never forget the Analysts claiming "What about their RPI?!?" and the Committee Chair dismissing this statistic in the bigger picture of why they left the team out.

Also, are you calling for the BYU upset FHFH? I like USD's moxy as of late, yet I have a feeling they're going to win by 20+ vs Grier's guys tomorrow...Davies & Hartsock are too active/efficient for USD to handle.

Not really calling for a loss, just entertaining all possible scenarios.
I'm just saying there are still games left to be played. Assuming we will play BYU also assumes they will be adding another win to their resume (that gives them 23 or 24 total?).
I'm also keeping an eye on USF. They need a couple more wins to get to 20 (counting ALL games). It's hard to call it a "bad loss" when you lose on the road to a 20 win team (referring to our loss at USF).

MDABE80
03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I think the headline was misleading. Few's plenty cautious...and he should be. BYU made us look foolish in Provo...we really beat them without Davies...tainted...if he comes back, we could be in trouble...lots of it too.

Even if GU beats BYU, we still have to face SMC or USF...neither an easy task.

Remeber though for perspective, we should be the champs now...two circus shots with USF allowed them to beat us by 1 point...

I think we should win this tournament but it could be very close. 4 of our losses were on the road...the road scares me...and apparently it scares Pangos as well.

Therunner
03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
They say a team is an extension of their Coach and how he or she helps motivate their players can be a big factor.

If you visit the BYU website, for instance, Coach Rose and his players(which I linked yesterday) are ALL stating 'must-win', 'WCC respect', 'keeping NCAA hopes alive', etc.

Whether we're in or not, what in the world was Coach Few thinking with this quote?!?

I'm not trying to be critical, but can't help it after this lackadaisical mindset.

Will the WCC Tourney be like another road game vs St Mary's when our Coaches & Players openly admitted we weren't prepared mentally for the game and thought we could win by showing up?

Personally, this quote gives me a sense of dread -- what is Coach Few telling his players?

"no worries guys, we're all set, nice OOC wins and holding serve at home vs BYU/SMC, we're in the Tournament. Just got the text from Lunardi."

How is he motivating his guys? Rallying the troops? Lighting a fire under their collective arses? Yes, intrinsic motivation is key, but these are college kids who read the news, check Bracketology, watch ESPN, and most importantly, listen to their Head Coach.

I've seen too many times when you could tell we coasted simply on the belief we didn't need a win or that we would win...this type of philosophy is making me nervous.

McZag
03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Wow is this the wrong attitude.

Have we learned nothing in the last 15 years? Have we forgotten that SMC stayed home last year?

What is this "not sweating it" stuff? We have two critical games to play and win this week.

Then we have 6 more wins to claim our first national title!!!

Who exactly is not sweating this post season??

MDABE80
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
This one comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

cjm720
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
I think with the Pac 12 down this year, we're a lock with our current resume.

ZagLawGrad
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I think this year's version of the Zags would be well served to sweat it a bit. That seemed to be lacking in a couple of key losses.

BroncoZAG615
03-01-2012, 11:14 AM
1) Few has rarely been the most media savvy coach in the country. In fact, talking to media seems to be his least favorite aspect of the job.
2) Few typically does a pretty damn good job at getting his teams 'up' for the WCC Tournament.

For those reasons, I'm not worried.

BULLDOG#1
03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Few isn't a fool. He's gotta have some motivation behind the comment... it's pretty much the opposite of his norm.

My guess is that the young pups are uptight about the tourney and he's trying to calm them down and get them to play loose.

04ZagFan
03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
We are 100% a lock. Enough with the "remember SMC last year" and all that. There is ZERO chance we don't make the NCAA tournament. Unless you live under a rock and don't pay any attention to college basketball analysts, you know we are a lock.

That being said, winning the WCC would be good for seeding, and we need to improve our seed. Losing would kill our seed and probably result in a first weekend exit, but we'd still be there no matter what.

coolhandzag
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Few is certain? What is this certainty based on, his teams lustrous road record? Note to Few....now that you are not so worried about Selection Sunday you are free to worry about BYU. Unless you are as certain BYU will shoot as poorly as they did in Spokane, maybe he is worried about BYU's ability to dominate the Zags on their offensive glass.

This is the wrong message to send. Few is starting to sound satisfied.

Nothing is certain. Focus on the game ahead!

Baldwinzag
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
While I'm not a fan of this mentality, I believe Few's quote is a direct response to a direct question aimed solely at NCAA Tourney eligibility.

This has nothing to do with winning the next game vs BYU/USD/Pepp.

Coach Few is even keel type of coach anyway, he's doesn't spend all week pumping up his team, he's coaching it. Thats what the players and leaders of this team need to do, like Pargo did, and Coach Lloyd from time to time.

I was shocked following the Pepperdine game when all the players said Coach Few lost it in the locker room at halftime and stated, "it was the most amped I've ever heard Coach, we got a good ripping." Now, that said, I don't think it was a coincidence we played one of our best halves of the season after Coach Few surprised his players and challenged them, but he knows when and where to do it and its not his mantra.

He's been unbelievably successful in preparing our teams for WCC play. We know how to win in Vegas. Hopefully, it carries over...we know the Orleans, the situation, the teams, etc.

We're gonna do just fine.

Do I think the guys will be ready and waiting for their opportunity? Absolutely.

Coach Few & Co will have them ready to execute, whether they get it done on the court is up to them.

We should be talking about Pangos shooting woes on the road, GBJ deferring way too much, Sacre's disappearing acts or foul trouble away from the Kennel, Edi's inconsistent, yet emerging play, Spangler being the answer vs a BYU type team that dominates us on the glass, Dower & Elias' inability to defend Davies, even a little bit, etc etc etc...

Coach Few's quote about NCAA eligibility is accurate, yet doesn't mean a thing.

rennis
03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I personally would like to see the team go into the tournament loose and confident rather than feeling like their backs are up against a bubbled-wall.

Loose and confident is a better approach for a young group.

I also don't think Few's comment has anything to do with how he will prepare the team for the game on Saturday.

Let's worry less about hot air and more about Brandon Davies and Hartsock.

Reborn
03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I really like Mark Few. He's cagey! Few has a plan for everything he does, and I think also for what he says to the media. If his words fire up BYU, then so be it. I'm glad he feels that GU is already in. I think they're in too. It doesn't mean I'm overconfidenct about beating BYU, and neither is Few. I also think that BYU does Need to beat GU in order to feel safe, and the preassure is on them to win. And that may be alot of preassure to put on Freshmen. He has two that start (as does GU) and one who starts if Hartsock doesn't. Let's see how this plays out. I believe that either way, GU wins and they win becasue they are better right now.

gamagin
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I think the headline was misleading. Few's plenty cautious...and he should be. BYU made us look foolish in Provo...we really beat them without Davies...tainted...if he comes back, we could be in trouble...lots of it too.

Even if GU beats BYU, we still have to face SMC or USF...neither an easy task.

Remeber though for perspective, we should be the champs now...two circus shots with USF allowed them to beat us by 1 point...

I think we should win this tournament but it could be very close. 4 of our losses were on the road...the road scares me...and apparently it scares Pangos as well.

For perspective, we lost by ONE point. ONE shot put USF one point ahead of us & the clock ran out. Before that ONE shot, we were behind by one point.

Repeating that we lost by two shots, as you have done at least twice that I've seen, whether those shots came out of their a$$es or otherwise, is flat incorrect.

titopoet
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
So says Coach Few to Meehan (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/feb/29/gonzaga-enters-wcc-tourney-few-worries/) this morning. In reference to making the NCAA Tourney this year.

Is he right?

The problem of exegesis. He is taking the WCC tournament lightly? Or is he responding to a question posed. He is right GU is listed by most as a lock, and the way some bubble teams keep falling, they are getting stronger.

But...

You know he wants to win out and get as high as seed as possible. He is playing game of keeping his guys loose. Every year around time of year, teams on the right side of the bubble loss, while weaker teams beat up on them. Think Uconn's recent loss to Providence. (They may lose to Pitt as well for the same reason.) The team that is pushing for a berth tightens up, while a team that has nothing to lose, loosen up. If BYU comes in tight and we play loose, our chances are higher. If both teams are tight then it makes of a tight game.

If you asked him about the 2002-2006 and 2009 teams, he would say the same thing. They too were locks and were playing for seeding

gamagin
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Is he right?

Must say, this may be my least favorite Mark Few quote in the past 12 years as Head Coach.

I thought it odd, too. Very unlike him. I tend to agree that perhaps that what he intended to say didn't quite come out right. Or the writer didn't put it down right. In any event, the timing was poor and the word selection was, too. Imo.

MDABE80
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
"Lighten up Francis"...probably means nothing;)

Angelo Roncalli
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I thought it odd, too. Very unlike him. I tend to agree that perhaps that what he intended to say didn't quite come out right. Or the writer didn't put it down right. In any event, the timing was poor and the word selection was, too. Imo.

It would also be nice to know the wording of the question to which coach was responding.

04ZagFan
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
bulletin board material for....... the selection committee? lol this is a non story

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-01-2012, 12:51 PM
this is a non story

+1

Plus, Few is right. It's nice to know that we're an unofficial lock for March Madness regardless of what happens in Vegas. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

rijman
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Few isn't a fool. He's gotta have some motivation behind the comment... it's pretty much the opposite of his norm.

My guess is that the young pups are uptight about the tourney and he's trying to calm them down and get them to play loose.
My thought exactly. How did GU perform in big games on the road? Not too well. Few might be trying take some pressure off the team so they will play better. Adding pressure definitely would not be best for this team based on how they've played thus far.

gamagin
03-01-2012, 01:15 PM
"Lighten up Francis"...probably means nothing;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yB7J7DYi6M

Zag 77
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Sounds like much ado about nothing. The coach knows the deal, the players know the deal, the fans know the deal. Do we really think the players are going to mail it in just because that got said?

zagfan24
03-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Sounds like much ado about nothing. The coach knows the deal, the players know the deal, the fans know the deal. Do we really think the players are going to mail it in just because that got said?

We criticize coaches and players when they give us empty cliches.
We criticize them when they give us honest answers.

We call "bulletin board material" if they say something critical of an opponent.
When they compliment an opponent, they lack competitive fire or a killer instinct.

It's no wonder most don't like talking to the media. Everything gets misinterpreted, taken out of context, criticized, sensationalized, and blown out of proportion. Absolutely nothing in Coach Few's tenure or this season's team leads me to believe we'll see less than 100% effort, focus, and intensity in the WCC tournament.

...and for what it's worth, he's right. It's a soft bubble this year and the Zags are a lock.

BobZag
03-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Is he right?

Is 24 wins good enough?

Yes and Yes. But losing Saturday likely means an 8/9 seed in Timbuktu while winning both games likely means a 5/6 seed, maybe in Portland.

Das Zagger
03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I haven't followed this much this year, but what are the talking heads saying? Last I looked GU was a 7 seed (I think). What are the last four in looking like? If our resume is still better than theirs despite a loss in the WCC tournament, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Lunardi's last four:
Xavier
Miami
Texas
Northwestern

Texas struggled against the really bad Texas A&M and needed overtime to win. We beat Xavier and are frankly a better team. I don't know about the other two, and am too lazy to research. Lunardi also has BYU in, so take that as you will

With how "off" Lunardi was last year, I just don't know.

I think GU is in but I'm not on the selection committee (at least, they have my CV but haven't called yet) though.

Who knows though.

webspinnre
03-01-2012, 02:17 PM
For perspective, we lost by ONE point. ONE shot put USF one point ahead of us & the clock ran out. Before that ONE shot, we were behind by one point.

Repeating that we lost by two shots, as you have done at least twice that I've seen, whether those shots came out of their a$$es or otherwise, is flat incorrect.

Fwiw, he isn't saying we lost by two shots, he's saying that if either of the circus shots doesn't go in, we're ahead by one point.

gamagin
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Fwiw, he isn't saying we lost by two shots, he's saying that if either of the circus shots doesn't go in, we're ahead by one point.

how about the free throws ? Or the previous two shots by the Zags ? or just one missed trey ? It doesn't end if you think you can pinpoint things that way. You can't.

Stache
03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
What if the comment is aimed at the committee? Sends the message that our resume is full enough and we deserve to be in and well regarded. Sends the message of some level of seeding expectations. It doesn't say GU is mailing it in. It does send a subtle message to BYU and SMC that we are a head and neck out front still because we don't have to worry next weekend. Finally it could be telling the young guards and the less experienced players to lighten up and just go play at this tournament because you don't have selection anxiety.

zag buddy
03-01-2012, 02:24 PM
It really depends on the definition of "is"

BroncoZAG615
03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know when Coach Few scheduled a press conference for to apologize for this travesty of a statement? I wanna see it, record it, and make sure he looks super duper sorry for what he has done to Gonzaga!

cjm720
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Bottom line, Few speaks the truth. We are a lock regardless of what happens Saturday. Now that said, I'll get a bit nervous if all the top conference teams lose allowing bubble (or worse) team in. There'd have to be a lot of those, however.

GoZags
03-01-2012, 03:14 PM
wow, this spiraled out of control quickly.

i think the key here is the wording of the question, which we don't know.

anyone who thinks few is not preparing for the wcc tournament is completely stupid. whether we see the team that got spanked by BYU in provo, or the team that ran circles around Arizona remains to be seen, but it won't be for lack of few's direction.

this is a complete non-issue

Bingo.

JPtheBeasta
03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
It really depends on the definition of "is"

:clap:

Maybe Few's comments were a subtle jab at SMC and BYU? They are much closer to not making the tournament than we are, in my very humble and uninformed opinion. Regardless, I agree with those that think this is a non-issue.

JPtheBeasta
03-01-2012, 03:23 PM

I think GU is in but I'm not on the selection committee (at least, they have my CV but haven't called yet) though.

Who knows though.

Fair enough. I was prett lazy with my data and using only Lunardi, but in general, I think if one were to look at a couple different projections you could get a pretty good idea if GU is in. The seed is always worse than I think it will be, but I'm feel pretty good about us getting in. Let's just win this outright and get the autobid. Problem solved. All the pressure is on everyone else in the WCC, in my opinion. Let's have some fun, play loose (that means you freshmen), and win a couple.

bartruff1
03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
We are 100% a lock. Enough with the "remember SMC last year" and all that. There is ZERO chance we don't make the NCAA tournament. Unless you live under a rock and don't pay any attention to college basketball analysts, you know we are a lock.

That being said, winning the WCC would be good for seeding, and we need to improve our seed. Losing would kill our seed and probably result in a first weekend exit, but we'd still be there no matter what.... no sweat..that is probably true for 90-95% of the field...for them (and us) this is all about seeding and venue...

Coach Crazy
03-01-2012, 03:47 PM
The sky is faaaaaaaaaallllllliiiiinnnng!

DixieZag
03-01-2012, 04:26 PM
What if the comment is aimed at the committee? Sends the message that our resume is full enough and we deserve to be in and well regarded. Sends the message of some level of seeding expectations. It doesn't say GU is mailing it in. It does send a subtle message to BYU and SMC that we are a head and neck out front still because we don't have to worry next weekend. Finally it could be telling the young guards and the less experienced players to lighten up and just go play at this tournament because you don't have selection anxiety.

I honestly believe this is the answer. Immediately after the BYU game Few said the same thing about BYU - "that is a tournament team" or something to that effect and he has done so many times in the past about "mid-major" teams that we have played. I think that what Few is saying is that this is at least a 2 - 3 team league and that all our losses can be described as "good" losses.

Either that or he committed the ultimate mistake in media managemet 101 - commit candor, ESPN has them as a "lock" and there are NO Pac 12 teams that are "locked".

BobZag
03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Lol, this thread reads like a bunch of old women fussing about what color to dye their hair, lol.

Baldwinzag
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Lol, this thread reads like a bunch of old women fussing about what color to dye their hair, lol.

I call green! Matches my eyes. . .

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_laMdQjeEfnE/TGR0ntgk8hI/AAAAAAAAAI4/om-4Y30FY2s/s400/Old+Woman+With+Green+Rinse+Hair.jpg

kclubfounder
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Ummm, I also think:

“It’s nice to be able to go into the tournament and know you’re not sweating it.”

Does anyone actually think that isn't nice?

Baldwinzag
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Ummm, I also think:

“It’s nice to be able to go into the tournament and know you’re not sweating it.”

Actually, can I steal this quote and claim it, especially since its spot on?

Baldwinzag says "“It’s nice to be able to go into the tournament and know you’re not sweating it OUT.”

There, I customized it, so its my quote. I mean it.

Flame me instead.

I want to win. Beat BYU. Win WCC, yet LOVE the fact we've earned NCAA consideration and potentially a 'lock' based on our season resume. Its good enough.

Trust me, I'm in Vegas this year and want something to do after Saturday night...like Monday night too...

bostonzagfan
03-01-2012, 09:00 PM
a 6 seed in portland would work for me. would avoid a 1 seed until at least at least the E8, at which point most of us would be thrilled anyway...playing a three seed in the first round would not be bad at all seeing as how this season has gone.

kentucky, cuse, duke, unc, mich st, kansas, missouri, and baylor will probably be 1 and 2 seeds. would like to not face any of them in the round of 32. i would much rather play a wichita st or a 14 seed who upset the three seed.

the seeds 7-10 blow.

cjm720
03-02-2012, 05:03 AM
a 6 seed in portland would work for me. would avoid a 1 seed until at least at least the E8, at which point most of us would be thrilled anyway...playing a three seed in the first round would not be bad at all seeing as how this season has gone.

kentucky, cuse, duke, unc, mich st, kansas, missouri, and baylor will probably be 1 and 2 seeds. would like to not face any of them in the round of 32. i would much rather play a wichita st or a 14 seed who upset the three seed.

the seeds 7-10 blow.

Yep, spot on. Please no 7-10!

bballbeachbum
03-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Ummm, I also think:

it depends I'd say. Sometimes teams play great with their backs up against the wall, you know?

ZagLawGrad
03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
If this team wants it bad enough, it can win it.

zagzilla
03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
From the interweb....

"Among eligible teams, the one with the best RPI ranking to miss the tournament was Oklahoma (33) in 1994. The team with the poorest RPI to make the Big Dance was New Mexico (74) in 1999.

Only one team with a winning record and a top 30 RPI ranking has missed the dance -- Texas Tech in 1997 -- and that was because of forfeited games."

Few speaks the truth-we are dancing no matter what happens Saturday.

I don't worry about complacency against BYU. The pain of the losses is too fresh. I think Few's angle is to keep his team loose and not play tight which we have seen at times in the past.

ZZ

JPtheBeasta
03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
From the interweb....

"Among eligible teams, the one with the best RPI ranking to miss the tournament was Oklahoma (33) in 1994. The team with the poorest RPI to make the Big Dance was New Mexico (74) in 1999.

Only one team with a winning record and a top 30 RPI ranking has missed the dance -- Texas Tech in 1997 -- and that was because of forfeited games."

I don't worry about complacency against BYU. The pain of the losses is too fresh. I think Few's angle is to keep his team loose and not play tight which we have seen at times in the past.

ZZ

Sounds good to me. Spike the punch and rent your tuxes.

SweetOnionZag
03-02-2012, 11:55 AM

the seeds 7-10 blow.

This would be perfect!!!

GeorgiaZagFan
03-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Win the WCC to avoid an 8 or 9 seed!!!! As the 8/9 ... if you win you play a #1 seed in their backyard.

Reborn
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Who knows though.

Lenardi is off again this year believe me. I've been studying the brackets all day, I think Gonzaga really has a good chance of getting a 6 seed. I sure hope the committee doesn't send 9 teams from the Big East to the tournament. If you look closely at that conference, you will see it's way down this year, as are most of the Big Six conferences. I hope to see alot more midmajors this year. Unfortunately, I think we will see the same old stuff. I would like to play Seton Hall, UCONN, or even Louisville. It's really hard for me to believe that Louisville is ranked #18 in the polls.

I think BYU should definitely be in the NCAA tournament. They have a good team, and a good resume. Here are some teams I think BYU is better than right now (I did not take into account the 13, 14, 15, or16 seeds). Memphis, Kansas St., Purdue, West Virginia, Seton Hall, Cal, Iowa St., St. Louis, Southern MIss., UW, Alabama, Northwestern, Colorado St., Texas, and Maybe New Mexico and San Diego St.

I think if BYU beats San Diego tonight they're in. It won't be easy though without Hartsock healthy. How healthy will Hartsock be? That is the question. I think if he reinures that knee (or even ankle) they will be out of the NCAA tournament for sure. Why not save him for twelve more days and really let those injuries heal?

04ZagFan
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Win the WCC to avoid an 8 or 9 seed!!!! As the 8/9 ... if you win you play a #1 seed in their backyard.

Yup, and honestly, the 2 seeds aren't much worse. We wouldn't beat a 1 or a 2 seed, period. We CAN however compete with any of the projected 3 seeds. Give me a 6, baby. WIN THE WCC TOURNEY and I think we can get a 6.

Timspo14
03-03-2012, 02:31 AM

ZZ

I agree. What has been the team's biggest problem in the past? Playing NOT TO LOSE. That leads to playing tight. It's the BBall equivalent of football's prevent defense. Hate it.

Maybe that's Few's angle with such a young team this yea???

Beer_Engineer
03-03-2012, 06:17 PM

Is he right?

Meanwhile, BYU players, fans, coaches all saying they MUST beat us to get a shot at controlling their own destiny & the NCAA Tourney.

The Cougs are desperate, ready to pounce, and have more than something to play for -- they want to WIN to advance to just get a chance at making it...

Based on Coach Few's recent quote it seems we're kicking our feet up and coasting our way to the NCAA's, yet thinking a WCC Tourney win would be "nice & cute" to add to our resume for better seeding.

Anyway, does every single person think we're a lock for the Tourney?

Sorry to admit, but I don't buy it and enough with the RPI in the 20's talk, it means nothing besides for seeding purposes ONCE teams are in. Don't forget, we've never lost in the Semi's of our Conference tourney before and could really hurt us come Selection Sunday, especially since we didn't win the regular season title (this perception in the eyes of Committee members, which is all that it takes to miss out.)

We just need to erase all doubts and do everything we can to win and get to the finals of WCC or else -- well, I feel we could be blindsided & left out.

Yes, we're certain.

LongIslandZagFan
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Simple request... As it is becoming a habit lately... Can we now stop hyper-analyzing the remotest of comments by players and coaches? Yeah... They sure came out flat tonight cuz Few and co. didn't give a crap.

BroncoZAG615
03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
This thread was hilarious before tonight's game. Now it is unreadable without having to stop to wipe the tears of laughter away.

ZagNative
03-03-2012, 10:06 PM
The original post was dumb. It hasn't improved with age or results.

Ziggy
03-03-2012, 10:19 PM
It"s all psychological warfare !

kitzbuel
03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
It"s all psychological warfare !
Bingo.

Zags were certainly relaxed and comfortable.

BroncoZAG615
03-03-2012, 10:23 PM
The original post was dumb. It hasn't improved with age or results.

I'm usually with you ZN, but this thread has aged like the finest bottle of wine.

Bocco
03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm usually with you ZN, but this thread has aged like the finest bottle of wine.

more like wine vinegar