PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lavine (and others) at State Thread

BobZag
03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Links are welcome. Updates welcome. Firsthand reports highly valued. Gracias.

Angelo Roncalli
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Mason Kelley's tournament blog:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsportsblog/2017630833_boys_4a_3a_state_basketball_li.html

Angelo Roncalli
03-01-2012, 11:14 AM
U-High beat Lake Washington. LW's Darien Nelson-Henry suffered an injury and didn't play much in the second half.

BobZag
03-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Lavine playing okay but Davis is crushing Bothell. Lavine would have to be LeBron to keep Bothell in this one. Davis is ranked #1 in 4A State.

Zach had 20 points after starting a cold 1-9 from the field.

demian
03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Lavine playing okay but Davis is crushing Bothell. Lavine would have to be LeBron to keep Bothell in this one. Davis is ranked #1 in 4A State.

Zach had 20 points after starting a cold 1-9 from the field.

I actually coached two of those Davis freshman in football last year in 8th grade. I am proud of those kids.

Reborn
03-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I listened to the game on the radio and the impression that I had is that Levine did NOT play that well. He shot the ball a bazillion times. But I will tell you that Davis is a great defensive team. Their tallest player is 6'4" and he is NOT THEIR CENTER. They are tough, fast, athletic and they play defense and rebound. Its amazing how well they rebound because they are NOT big at all. And today, you could see the real shooters were on Davis' team. Davis has a great point guard named Dennis Tremble. The only time Bothel did well was during the first quarter when Tremble sat out in foul trouble.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I listened to the game on the radio and the impression that I had is that Levine did NOT play that well. He shot the ball a bazillion times. But I will tell you that Davis is a great defensive team. Their tallest player is 6'4" and he is NOT THEIR CENTER. They are tough, fast, athletic and they play defense and rebound. Its amazing how well they rebound because they are NOT big at all. And today, you could see the real shooters were on Davis' team. Davis has a great point guard named Dennis Tremble. The only time Bothel did well was during the first quarter when Tremble sat out in foul trouble.

Davis has at least 7 really good hs players; probably at least 5 are capable of playing some level of college ball, at least jc or NAIA. Trimble can play D1. They are balanced and share the ball exceptionally for a hs team. The top 5 average between 8 and 15, and all could score a lot more if on an average hs team. Several times they made 4 or 5 passes consecutively without holding the ball, leading to layups. They are, in addition to being athletic and strong, exceptionally smart and cohesive. And they play bigger than their collective heights. They have a fr pg coming off the bench averaging 4.4 ppg who could start for most hs teams who threw a couple jaw-dropping passes. Very, very fun to watch.

Bothell has 2 players who would see court time for Davis outside of garbage time. And both of them are skinny juniors. The future of the rest of their guys is pickup games and intramurals.

Sometimes live viewing gives a different impression than the radio. Lavine really tries to involve the other guys. He made a bunch of good passes after penetrating, and against players the caliber of Davis', his teammates other than Callendret are just incapable of finishing very often. Those 2 shoot a lot because they have to on that team, especially against elite teams.

As my brother said as we were watching, "I can't wait to see what Lavine can do when he has good players around him".

I was pretty sure that game was over when watching warmups. It looked like varsity on one end of the court and jv at the other, with the exception of 2 players.

Lavine did pretty much what GBJ did last year at state- carry a team with little other talent to the final 8, before running into a buzzsaw.

Bothell doesn't seem to be particularly well coached, either. Gave up a lot of easy shots, lost their men, didn't have a guard back at times when a shot went up, etc. Gave up a lot of easy stuff.

maynard g krebs
03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Just stayed thru the Bothell game, and a few min of Bellarmine Prep.

Classic game between Seattle Prep and O'dea, hard fought struggle tied at 39 inside of 2 min before Prep pulled away 47-42. Sekou Wiggs really carried O'dea down the stretch when nobody else could do much against Prep's superior size inside (6'8 bookends). USF will be getting a very good player if he goes there, one who might be good enough to play for the Zags imo.

Nelson-Henry didn't have a great game, but Lake Washington was up on University 46-41 when he sprained his ankle with about 7 to go. They taped him up and he came back, but was hobbled. After the injury, U started getting to the rim easily and doubled up LW the rest of the way.

That's about all I can think of that's at all relevant here, as I didn't see CV v Garfield, which started much too late.

azzagfan
03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
The east of the Cascades teams showed very well in the first day of the 4A and 3A tourneys. CV, Davis, Kamiakin and U-Hi all winning on the boys side, and G-Prep, CV, U-Hi all winning on the girls. Kamiakin girls lost, but that winning percentage is pretty good for the less populated part of the state.

Angelo Roncalli
03-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Just stayed thru the Bothell game, and a few min of Bellarmine Prep.

Classic game between Seattle Prep and O'dea, hard fought struggle tied at 39 inside of 2 min before Prep pulled away 47-42. Sekou Wiggs really carried O'dea down the stretch when nobody else could do much against Prep's superior size inside (6'8 bookends). USF will be getting a very good player if he goes there, one who might be good enough to play for the Zags imo.

Nelson-Henry didn't have a great game, but Lake Washington was up on University 46-41 when he sprained his ankle with about 7 to go. They taped him up and he came back, but was hobbled. After the injury, U started getting to the rim easily and doubled up LW the rest of the way.

That's about all I can think of that's at all relevant here, as I didn't see CV v Garfield, which started much too late.

Sekou Wiggs is the Robert Sacre of WA HS BB. He gets to the FT line more than any player I can think of.

Reborn
03-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks for some good reporting. I am real good friends with the father of the freshman you are talking about. He is an extrememly good basketball player as you pointed out, and there is another Freshman on Davis' team that plays some who is also very, very good. There are some really good basketball players now in Yakima Valley and its attributed AAU, imo. My yougest son has coached many of the good athletes here, and has done an excellent job both in football and basketball. It's fun to see Davis doing so well. I know several of Davis' players' parents quite well and have played with them alot when I was a little younger. I'm 64 now. Wow has time passed quickly.

I teach at Davis quite a bit now that I'm retired (subbing). In fact I've been here most of this week. Davis sent like 4 roorter buses over to Tacoma, and had a big send off party. I was thinking how cool it would be for GU to send 4 buses with students to Vegas. Could you imagine what kind of fun that would be?

demian
03-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for some good reporting. I am real good friends with the father of the freshman you are talking about. He is an extrememly good basketball player as you pointed out, and there is another Freshman on Davis' team that plays some who is also very, very good. There are some really good basketball players now in Yakima Valley and its attributed AAU, imo. My yougest son has coached many of the good athletes here, and has done an excellent job both in football and basketball. It's fun to see Davis doing so well. I know several of Davis' players' parents quite well and have played with them alot when I was a little younger. I'm 64 now. Wow has time passed quickly.

I teach at Davis quite a bit now that I'm retired (subbing). In fact I've been here most of this week. Davis sent like 4 roorter buses over to Tacoma, and had a big send off party. I was thinking how cool it would be for GU to send 4 buses with students to Vegas. Could you imagine what kind of fun that would be?

Great report Dad. if you get a chance watch the game on the internet tonight, i watched it at work yesterday on the Yakima Herald Republic web site they had a link on sports page where you could get a live stream of the game. It was pretty cool. Try to watch it tonight if you get a chance.

BobZag
03-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Maynard, did you see any Zag coaches? (oops, I see Donny Daniels was there.)

My old pal Sloany knocked off Garfield. Might be looking at CV vs Davis for the title.

MDABE80
03-02-2012, 10:05 AM
These games are watchable on the net????

229SintoZag
03-02-2012, 10:25 AM

My old pal Sloany knocked off Garfield. Might be looking at CV vs Davis for the title.

Bellarmine Prep. Dark Horse.

Bellarmine Prep. Spirit and Pep.

Go Lions.

BobZag
03-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Bellarmine Prep. Dark Horse.

Bellarmine Prep. Spirit and Pep.

Go Lions.

Hahah. Homer. :p

DADoZAG
03-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Might be looking at CV vs Davis for the title.

Go BEARS!

Class of '75...

And, just for my youngest, Go Titans! (but not so much)

Zag 77
03-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Seattle Times article about John Stockton as an assistant coach for his 2 daughters playing for G-Prep:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2017641597_4agirlsnotes02.html

No surprise, John does not like to say much and would rather be in the background.

maynard g krebs
03-02-2012, 11:07 AM

Saw Ben Howland at the MLK in January. He was wearing his UCLA letterman's jacket with the leather sleeves. Trying to impress the cheerleaders, I think.

Reborn
03-02-2012, 11:15 AM
These games are watchable on the net????

MDABE: Go to www.wiaanetwork.com Then when you get there look for Webcast on the upper left tool bar...click it...good luck.

Here is another web site a got....www.washingtonsportsnetwork.com I got these at Davis HS today. Good luck. my son told me that there is also a way to link up and stream it on the Yakime Herald newpaper in Yakima.

BobZag
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Looks like another off day for Zach. 6/16 for 17 points. Bothell bows out of the State Tourney. Mt. Rainier beat Bothell 83-74. Bothell's Kellen Webster was hot, hitting 8/12 from three, but still got beat.