former1dog
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
First Round - Portland over Santa Clara

Second Round - USF over Portland, USD over Pepperdine

Quarterfinals - USF over LMU, BYU over USD

Semifinals - SMC over USF, Gonzaga over BYU

Finals - Gonzaga over SMC

Nitty Gritty -

Both semifinal games and the final will be nailbiters.

Thoughts and predictions?

LongIslandZagFan
02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
First Round - Broncos pull their heads out finally...

Second Round - USF pummels SCU , Waves over Billy's boys

Quarterfinals - Lions lose to Dons, BYU over Waves... Big.

Semifinals - USF over SMC, Gonzaga over BYU... Lots of seats open up for monday game after the Mormon contingent head home early

Finals - Gonzaga over USF... Payback complete

Going with a cople upsets here. Now if I were to be in Vegas and going to a sports book like I usually do I'd likely take a different stance... Side note... I never bet on teams I follow... So never bet on the Zags or Seahawks.

Dirt McGirt
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
USF/LMU could shape up to be a great game depending on which LMU team shows up. The first two meetings were great. And then which ever team wins will definitely give us a run for the money. BYU and you guys will also be great especially if Harstock is back to full strength. If I was going to vegas this year, I would probably watch all games after the quarterfinals.

former1dog
Semifinals - USF over SMC,

I almost made this pick. Hell, USF was in it against SMC despite shooting like 2% in the 2nd half.

FieldHouseFishHouse
Even with the double bye, the Zags have a very tough road to the title.

I think SMC is likely to win this tournament. I would say a 50/50 chance.

BYU needs to win 2 games to stay on the bubble. They have a quintessential "bubble team" profile. A neutral site win against (first USD) GU really puts an exclamation point on their body of work. I expect them to play hard as usual, and their fans to be numerous and rabid.

Baldwinzag
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Still think Santa Clara goes down once again, completing a winless record in conference.

I'm on the USF over LMU train, then Dons over Gaels. Dons advance to Championship.

Zags over BYU by 2 pts, Cougs miss their last-second 3pt opportunity and we all pick our hearts and stomachs off the floors...

I'm with LIZF: Zags over Dons for WCC Championship/revenge/retribution/rex falling/etc.

This is the 1st year -- past, present, or future -- I'd rather play USF than SMC for the final game of the season. Still hoping Gaels make the NCAA's yet USF has cost us so much this season, pay-back is on the mind in a big way.

Will never forget.

DixieZag
02-27-2012, 09:58 AM
I can practically assure a GU title if I put money on the Zags winning it. But, I don't live in Nevada so moot point.

I do not think that USF can beat LMU - LMU can beat their press and without that USF isn't so tough.

BYU wins QF against anyone.

BYU - GU This will be such a war. We beat them without Hartsock and with them shooting about 4% from the field. Will we figure out a way to beat the trap with a week of practice? I think we'll do better. Will Carlino shoot themselves to victory or defeat? Will Hartsock be healthy enough to be effective? Go with GU b/c of the chip on their shoulder.

LMU - SMC The way that SMC is playing right now, I don't see why LMU should be discounted. IF LMU is hotter than normal from deep, I think they win - if not SMC. I take SMC over LMU b/c they don't want to be in the position of waiting it out.

GU-SMC - If the GU of the SMC/LMU weekend, we win. But, I have not seen that team since that weekend. I think SMC seals the deal. It'll be a war, close game. Hope I am wrong.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-27-2012, 10:05 AM
GU-SMC - If the GU of the SMC/LMU weekend, we win. But, I have not seen that team since that weekend. I think SMC seals the deal. It'll be a war, close game. Hope I am wrong.

I am confused.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I predict that this will be the most competitive WCC Tournament ever.

I also predict that that BYU will win the whole thing and that St. Mary's will be nervous for a week waiting to find out if they get an at-large.

DixieZag
02-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I am confused.

Poor wording.

I think we played our best ball the weekend that we beat SMC and LMU. Unfortunately, I think that we have taken a step back in our level of play since then - not looking as crisp against SCU/USF or BYU. Unless we reverse the trend and get back to how we looked 3 weeks ago - I don't see us winning the tournament.

Said differently - I don't have a friggin clue.

Baldwinzag
02-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I predict that this will be the most competitive WCC Tournament ever .

I also predict that that BYU will win the whole thing and that St. Mary's will be nervous for a week waiting to find out if they get an at-large.

I could see this happening as I'm more impressed with BYU than any other team in the WCC.

I admire their style and discovered I admired them just as much in their loss at the Kennel as their win in Provo.

They compete. They play hard/focused/intense. They overcome their shortcomings with execution and hustle. They look WAY more athletic than they actually are just by always moving and never letting up.

Of course the Baldwin love-fest for Coach Rose and his boys will only last until tip-off on Saturday night, but they could easily win the whole darn thing b/c they believe they can and will NEVER be out-matched in heart and hustle.

My only hope is we match their fire. If we do (speaking mostly to the bigs), then we win against the Cougs going away. Its that simple. Our pieces are better(save Davies) than their pieces, but they out-played us our last 3 games.

Maybe 4th is the charm to match them and play with them. We won't have luxury of winning on FT's in Vegas, and if we do, that is fine, just win.

I still think it'll take a Herculian effort to top BYU, but I also believe we're capable.

Its up to us, not them. Leggo.

Reborn
02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
If Hartsock and Holt do not play.

1. I'll take Santa Clara over Portland. Portland is lousey right now.

2. USF over Santa Clara & San Diego over Pepperdine. Billy's boys are playing very well right now.

3. San Diego over BYU (upset of the tournament). LMU over USF. USF has bad karma after the loss to St. Mary's because they should have beaten them. Walters gets two technicals, and Doolin can't stop crying after the game.

5. LMU over St. Mary's & Gonzaga over San Diego

6. Gonzaga over LMU

If Hartsock plays then I pick BYU over San Diego. And GU over BYU.
If Holt plays then St. Mary's over LMU and GU over St. Mary's.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Poor wording.

I think we played our best ball the weekend that we beat SMC and LMU. Unfortunately, I think that we have taken a step back in our level of play since then - not looking as crisp against SCU/USF or BYU. Unless we reverse the trend and get back to how we looked 3 weeks ago - I don't see us winning the tournament.

Said differently - I don't have a friggin clue.

Now THAT, I can understand and relate to.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Interesting thread.

It seems we have passed into a third phase of WCC tourney prediction consensus.

Phase 1: GU will win the tourney unless someone pulls a huge upset.

Phase 2: GU will win the tourney unless SMC pulls a huge upset.

Phase 3: One of 3 teams will win the tourney unless someone pulls 2 or more huge upsets.

ZagWhoShotLibertyValance
02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
very pessimistic right now; our offense is 'throw it down low or panic, or both' and our bench has shortened considerably. i think GU wins one more game this season against Longwood. I see a semis loss against BYU, and a first round exit. We have all the talent, but we are playing horridly right now. We are Pepperidge Farm--a turnover waiting to happen. Hope it doesn't. I am going to pick BYU of USF in the finals of the WCC. yuck.

Reborn
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
If Hartsock and Holt do not play.

1. I'll take Santa Clara over Portland. Portland is lousey right now.

2. USF over Santa Clara & San Diego over Pepperdine. Billy's boys are playing very well right now.

3. San Diego over BYU (upset of the tournament). LMU over USF. USF has bad karma after the loss to St. Mary's because they should have beaten them. Walters gets two technicals, and Doolin can't stop crying after the game.

5. LMU over St. Mary's & Gonzaga over San Diego

6. Gonzaga over LMU

If Hartsock plays then I pick BYU over San Diego. And GU over BYU.
If Holt plays then St. Mary's over LMU and GU over St. Mary's.

well Im starting out real good...0-1. I picked Santa Clara. That is a horrible loss, but I am glad. I really don't like Keating at all. I wonder how he feels. It seems they were playing better at the end of the year.

allnet59
02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Byu wins it all if hartsock is healthy. We do not match up with their bigs very good.imo

bartruff1
02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
St Mary's over LMU....Gonzaga over BYU......Gonzaga over St Mary's..... Gonzaga and the Gaels in...BYU on the bubble....

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-29-2012, 08:49 PM
stupid leap year..gives hartsock an extra day of recovery....unlike the Eagles I don't have a peaceful easy feeling...

Oregonzagnut
02-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Gonzaga wins it all by an average margin of victory of 10+ points. I may have my Zag glasses on too tight but if we play like we did against Notre Dame and Xavier we will win.

I think we can get a 5-6 seed if we can actually win the WCC final.

Reborn
02-29-2012, 09:00 PM
stupid leap year..gives hartsock an extra day of recovery....unlike the Eagles I don't have a peaceful easy feeling...

Really? Wow! I sure have a good feeling. And I want Hartsock to play, and Holt too. I want this tourney to really prepare the Zags for the NCAA. A win with Hartsock playing and healthy is just what we need. I don't understand your lack of confidence in the Zags!!! Yes it is a scarey feeling, but so what. Conquer it!!!!

Bring the Cougs or anyone else on. Zags are READY.....

Go Zags!!!

Oregonzagnut
02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Really? Wow! I sure have a good feeling. And I want Hartsock to play, and Holt too. I want this tourney to really prepare the Zags for the NCAA. A win with Hartsock playing and healthy is just what we need. I don't understand your lack of confidence in the Zags!!! Yes it is a scarey feeling, but so what. Conquer it!!!!

Bring the Cougs or anyone else on. Zags are READY.....

Go Zags!!!

I agree, I have a really good feeling too. I think a lot of it has to do with us not winning the conference. Its like its the first time in a decade we have something to prove to the nation in that we really are still the best in the WCC! Not having as much to lose means we have something to win.

Its uphill once again and maybe that will inspire the type of charismatic body language and hustle that we seem to notice has been lacking in our team. Go Zags!!! Win it back!!! Win back the conference!!

Reborn
03-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Gonzaga wins it all by an average margin of victory of 10+ points. I may have my Zag glasses on too tight but if we play like we did against Notre Dame and Xavier we will win.

I think we can get a 5-6 seed if we can actually win the WCC final.

I just watched the St. Mary's and BYU games @ Gonzaga over and they really played good in both games. I think St. Mary's was our best game this year. The Zags are ready. Go Zags!!!

DixieZag
03-01-2012, 07:23 AM
For the people picking USF to get to the semis or even finals - I understand the reasoning they are tough and playing decently. But, the deck is so stacked against a team under the 4th spot simply b/c they are playing back to back to back a day off and back.

It could happen, but it just seems that any team faced with that schedule would wear down after the second game.

Das Zagger
03-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I think GU is peaking at the right time.

SMC's ego has been badly bruised.

BYU is a bit of a wildcard without Hartsock at 100%.

I'm pretty miffed that no games will be played Sunday due to religious reasons and would love to see BYU lose on Saturday.

GU/SMC play for the title, GU wins, gets the auto-birth, and SMC gets an at-large.

BYU ends up in the NIT and then bolts for the Big-12.

bartruff1
03-01-2012, 07:32 AM
I think GU is peaking at the right time.

SMC's ego has been badly bruised.

BYU is a bit of a wildcard without Hartsock at 100%.

I'm pretty miffed that no games will be played Sunday due to religious reasons and would love to see BYU lose on Saturday.

GU/SMC play for the title, GU wins, gets the auto-birth, and SMC gets an at-large.

BYU ends up in the NIT and then bolts for the Big-12. Let us pray:pray:

Reborn
03-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Well I had a better night tonight. I was two and O. The games were not that good, but I really did enjoy watching San Diego. Johnny Dee had a career high 31. Keep 'er going Billy. The games tomorrow should be pretty good. I'm excited.

I really do like tournaments, and it's nice to see these two games on TV tonight. Thanks BYUtv. It was odd thought to see an arena so empty. Wierd. Well, let's move on to the quarterfinals tomorrow.

Zagger
03-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Zags take care of the ball and win the WCC tourney by at least 10 points each game. Why? Zags are hungry, they're good, good depth and they finally find the handle on the ball.
:000tens:

former1dog
03-03-2012, 09:56 PM
First Round - Portland over Santa Clara

Second Round - USF over Portland, USD over Pepperdine

Quarterfinals - USF over LMU, BYU over USD

Semifinals - SMC over USF, Gonzaga over BYU

Finals - Gonzaga over SMC

Nitty Gritty -

Thoughts and predictions?
7-0. Hope my finals prediction comes true.

Bocco
03-03-2012, 10:06 PM

I hope the final is a the same type of nail biter for GU.

caduceus
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tY4Xd.gif

Reborn
03-04-2012, 06:58 AM

former1 you are da man. I knew you were!!! Hahahaha. What a great tournament. And it's now down to the two best teams playing for the championship on a neutral court. Go Zags!