PDA

View Full Version : This Team Has The Pieces

titopoet
02-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Right now a the cusp of the post season, I would like to say that I really like this team. While it not be Few's best offensive team (probably closer to the worst than the best) It is one of the best defensive team. They have flown below the level of national attention that some of his other teams have, which make them a bit of unknown going into March. They are all the pieces to make a long run, great guard play, strong inside playing, good defense. They have good bench play in Dower, Hart, Cater... While this team might have not won the WCC, they have the players to make deep run. Not since the Pargo, Daye, Heytvelt and Downs era do they have the same pieces to make a deep run.

They do have some concerns: Turn overs, 3 starters that have never been to the tournament, but I will go against the stream and say this team represents the best chance to go deep since 2009. And as with any run nowadays, there needs to be a bit of luck and pairing love, but, with that said, I do think GU will be a tough out. A couple of lucky bounces and they could end up farther than any GU team has gone before.

TacomaZAG
02-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Another important thing, in addition to the draw, is where the first weekend is played. With west coast basketball being so down this year, I think if we win the WCC Tourney we could still be looking at a first weekend in Portland with a 5 or 6 seed (please, please, I don't want to Stub Hub my tickets). If we don't win the WCC tourney, we probably end up in an 8/9 game somewhere on the east coast and playing in the morning, east coast time (really early for our west coast guys).

So, even with the streak over, winning the WCC Tourney is very important. If we are going to go deep (meaning S16 or beyond to me), a first weekend in Portland would be a great place to start.

Go ZAGS

bartruff1
02-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Well...anything can happen....but I would be surprised if this team won more than 1 or 2 games (IMHO a huge success)... I think we are among a bunch of teams that are anywhere from 15 to 30 best in the nation depending upon how well they play in any game.... Winning the WCC Tourney is certainly possible..

caduceus
02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
While we are not the offensive powerhouse of some years' past, the team is much more balanced now (except for maybe 2009). Look at these efficiency numbers from Kenpom. Ignore the rankings since they are not comparable year to year:

Offensive efficiency:
2012: 110.2 (#39)
2011: 111.3 (#45)
2010: 119.5 (#47)
2009: 118.4 (#04)
2008: 114.2 (#39)
2007: 113.9 (#39)
2006: 119.7 (#01)
2005: 118.8 (#10)
2004: 119.3 (#08)
2003: 113.5 (#21)

Defensive efficiency:
2012: 93.0 (#36)
2011: 92.7 (#32)
2010: 94.7 (#66)
2009: 90.5 (#18)
2008: 91.6 (#33)
2007: 95.8 (#80)
2006: 102.2 (#178)
2005: 98.5 (#121)
2004: 92.4 (#40)
2003: 96.2 (#86)

And which teams this year have both top 40 ranked offensive and defensive efficiencies? Missouri? Nope. Duke? Nope. Indiana? Nope. Georgetown? Nope.

They are:
Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan St., Kansas, Wisconsin, Syracuse, North Carolina, Wichita St., St. Louis, Memphis, Marquette, Baylor, Michigan, UNLV, Notre Dame, and Gonzaga.

Pretty good company.

awberke
02-27-2012, 08:24 AM
It honestly depends on who we are playing and how we are seeded. But the good news is that we have figured out that Pangos, Bell, Harris, Sacre, Edi, and Dower are all capable of having a 20 point game. We also played remarkable at home and I think we could recreate that atmosphere were we to play in portland.

I kind of agree that maybe these guys will have a chip on their shoulder after losing the conference. Some of the pressure is taken off, we are almost guaranteed a tournament berth, and hopefully they can just go out and play hard.

@Caduceus The difference with this team is the turnovers. We play great defense and then come back on offense and turn it over.

DixieZag
02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I think it all depends upon whether we are in an arena we feel comfortable shooting 3s. Honestly - we have not had a road game or a nuetral site game (except maybe AZ in Seattle) where we shot well from 3.

When we hit more than 6 - we are very tough to beat b/c it opens up inside and the bigs tend to get more points. Less than 6 - very pedestrian.

GoZags
02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Another important thing, in addition to the draw, is where the first weekend is played. With west coast basketball being so down this year, I think if we win the WCC Tourney we could still be looking at a first weekend in Portland with a 5 or 6 seed (please, please, I don't want to Stub Hub my tickets). If we don't win the WCC tourney, we probably end up in an 8/9 game somewhere on the east coast and playing in the morning, east coast time (really early for our west coast guys).

So, even with the streak over, winning the WCC Tourney is very important. If we are going to go deep (meaning S16 or beyond to me), a first weekend in Portland would be a great place to start.

Go ZAGS

Disagree.

I remember too clearly the 2nd round game in KeyArena against Nevada.
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/articles/39753-nevada-sends-gonzaga-packing

Zags can win (or lose) games anywhere. Sure, the Zags advanced to the Sweet 16 from Portland in '09. But they'd also advanced to the Sweet 16 (and beyond) from KeyArena in '99.

BobZag
02-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Right now a the cusp of the post season, I would like to say that I really like this team. While it not be Few's best offensive team (probably closer to the worst than the best) It is one of the best defensive team. They have flown below the level of national attention that some of his other teams have, which make them a bit of unknown going into March. They are all the pieces to make a long run, great guard play, strong inside playing, good defense. They have good bench play in Dower, Hart, Cater... While this team might have not won the WCC, they have the players to make deep run. Not since the Pargo, Daye, Heytvelt and Downs era do they have the same pieces to make a deep run.

They do have some concerns: Turn overs, 3 starters that have never been to the tournament, but I will go against the stream and say this team represents the best chance to go deep since 2009. And as with any run nowadays, there needs to be a bit of luck and pairing love, but, with that said, I do think GU will be a tough out. A couple of lucky bounces and they could end up farther than any GU team has gone before.

Good post, tito.

But I think maybe a year early. That's just my feeling on it. Give these guards one more year, to go from frosh to sophs. :)

TacomaZAG
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
I hear you about that game against Nevada, I got a pit in my stomach when Ronny picked up his second foul after about 3 minutes. It got real quiet at the Key after that whistle.

I also agree with you that the Zags CAN win or lose anywhere, I just like our chances a whole lot more closer to home, and like the early morning game on the east coast least of all. Anything but the 8/9 game on the east coast, with the 1 seed waiting if the ZAGS win.

There are many ways to the S16, I would just prefer driving over Snoqualmie Pass to hiking over the peaks. They both get you there but one is preferable. But if it's hiking boots and snow shoes, I'll still enjoy the journey.

Go ZAGS

TheGonzagaFactor
02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Disagree.

I remember too clearly the 2nd round game in KeyArena against Nevada.
http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/articles/39753-nevada-sends-gonzaga-packing

Zags can win (or lose) games anywhere. Sure, the Zags advanced to the Sweet 16 from Portland in '09. But they'd also advanced to the Sweet 16 (and beyond) from KeyArena in '99.

I didn't think TacomaZAG guaranteed that us playing in the northwest would lead to a Sweet 16. It's just better than having to go to Greensboro.

Oregonzagnut
02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
In my opinion, and I posted this in another thread, I think that due to the pressure of keeping the streak alive being gone, this team has a really good chance of playing deep into March. I think we will see them open up the offense a bit more, and I expect good things.

I agree, and it may also affect our overall play in seasons to come, since that is one less thing we have worry about losing. In many ways, the best comes out when you have nothing to lose.

Ezag
02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Final Four, Final Four, Final Four
:000tens:

JPtheBeasta
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
How will the freshmen, and Guy, respond to the bright lights and pressure of the tournament? That's the big key for me. Our backup plan if they don't isn't great. This is one of the reasons we needed Carter to be better this year. Stockton will get exploited when he is in if the opposing team has time to scout/plan for this. Hart has shown very little interest in being an offensive threat. I think this is the year we gain experience and maybe win one or two. I expect big things next year.

Reborn
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Andy Katz said that GU is built for the NCAA tournament. I had never thought about that but maybe Few does build his team for that purpose. The thing to remember is that anything can happen in the NCAA tournament, and that our Freshmen are no longer Freshmen. We have a very good pointguard in Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell is a good shooting guard who is excellent on defense. I remember how much Bret Mussburger liked Kevin and compared him to Craft who is the pg at Ohio State. I think our post players are very good and experienced in the NCAA tournament. Guy Landroy-Edi is finally getting comfortable on the court. Sam Dower will be an excellent 6th man in the tournament because other schools will not know his tendencies as well as teams from our conference do. Marquis Carter could possibly be a very good substitute in the tournament. This will be his final chance to redeem himself and I think he will.

Our focus right now is to do all we can do to get a good seed. We do that by winning one game at a time.

04ZagFan
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
We might have the "Pieces" but I don't think we will have a friendly bracket,which is likely what we'd need to make a deep run.. We aren't beating a 1 or 2 seed, period. It's nice to talk about "potential" and "pieces", but once the bracket comes out, we'll all be given a dose of reality. Losing to USF and even BYU were killers. Gotta be near perfect in the WCC.

BobZag
02-27-2012, 04:23 PM
While we are not the offensive powerhouse of some years' past, the team is much more balanced now (except for maybe 2009). Look at these efficiency numbers from Kenpom. Ignore the rankings since they are not comparable year to year:

Offensive efficiency:
2012: 110.2 (#39)
2011: 111.3 (#45)
2010: 119.5 (#47)
2009: 118.4 (#04)
2008: 114.2 (#39)
2007: 113.9 (#39)
2006: 119.7 (#01)
2005: 118.8 (#10)
2004: 119.3 (#08)
2003: 113.5 (#21)

Defensive efficiency:
2012: 93.0 (#36)
2011: 92.7 (#32)
2010: 94.7 (#66)
2009: 90.5 (#18)
2008: 91.6 (#33)
2007: 95.8 (#80)
2006: 102.2 (#178)
2005: 98.5 (#121)
2004: 92.4 (#40)
2003: 96.2 (#86)

And which teams this year have both top 40 ranked offensive and defensive efficiencies? Missouri? Nope. Duke? Nope. Indiana? Nope. Georgetown? Nope.

They are:
Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan St., Kansas, Wisconsin, Syracuse, North Carolina, Wichita St., St. Louis, Memphis, Marquette, Baylor, Michigan, UNLV, Notre Dame, and Gonzaga.

Pretty good company.

Interesting. I think the up/down nature of these Zags is what has bothered me. The guys play terrific at home but get shaky on the road, and that adds up to those numbers. We might be top-5 at home but way down away. That is why I think next year and beyond will or should be better, more even keel between home and away.

But interesting #'s by KenPom, nonetheless. Thanks.

Reborn
02-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Interesting. I think the up/down nature of these Zags is what has bothered me. The guys play terrific at home but get shaky on the road, and that adds up to those numbers. We might be top-5 at home but way down away. That is why I think next year and beyond will or should be better, more even keel between home and away.

But interesting #'s by KenPom, nonetheless. Thanks.

I think that almost all teams play better at home then they do on the road. I just spent a half hour looking at most conferences, and that holds true all around America (accept for Duke and of course Syracuse and Kentucky). Add to this natural phenomina of losing on the road more then at home, GU has had 3 players who have not played in the WCC before.

One thing I love about this team is that they have not lost any conference games at home, and have only lost one all year. Very few teams can say that! And one of the signs of a good team is that they do not lose at home. For a team described by Mark Few as not one of his more talented team, I think these guys have done pretty dang well. And The Best is yet to come.

caduceus
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
One thing I love about this team is that they have not lost any conference games at home, and have only lost one all year.

We are also unbeaten on neutral courts. Not many games (3), but unbeaten nonetheless.

Beer_Engineer
02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
My opinion is that this year is house money for GU. I wouldnt expect a sweet 16 run until next year, or better yet, the year after when Dower Power is a Sr and we have that money junior backcourt.....

Yes...until then, this is house money...IMO