• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanzagger
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

they did it again

an ESPN analyst said this team on paper looks like it's built for the tournament.

Could someone please email them and let them know we dont get McDonald's All Americans in Spokane.
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!
  • bullzag23
    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Vanzagger View Post
    an ESPN analyst said this team on paper looks like it's built for the tournament.

Could someone please email them and let them know we dont get McDonald's All Americans in Spokane.
    I don't think they're referring to the quality of recruits we get here, but to the fact that we have a very balance inside/out game. We're 2nd in the WCC but don't have a scorer in the top 5. Solid, albeit inexperienced guards to go along with size in the post. Our biggest missing ingredient is a steady 3 IMO.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Several folks at ESPN had nice things to say about Gonzaga, including Jay Williams, Bardo and Andy Katz(of course).

Comment

• Zagcity
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bullzag23 View Post
        I don't think they're referring to the quality of recruits we get here, but to the fact that we have a very balance inside/out game. We're 2nd in the WCC but don't have a scorer in the top 5. Solid, albeit inexperienced guards to go along with size in the post. Our biggest missing ingredient is a steady 3 IMO.
        Indeed we have the flexiblity to match many different styles of play. If we can just minimize the To's, maybe we can do some damage in the tourney
        Last edited by Zagcity; 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Colbyspapa
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Jan 2008

Anyone else hear Andy Katz jump off the St. Mary's band wagon. I took his comments as he didn't believe they were tournament tough due to the injury to Holt, but it wasn't so clear. I was wondering what everyone else got out of his, I'm shaking off SMC comment?

Comment

• Baldwinzag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

TO's don't win Tourney games...

if we can cut down the 20 TO per game streak we're currently on, anything is possible. . .

“You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• Dirt McGirt
              Gael Force Material
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Colbyspapa View Post
              Anyone else hear Andy Katz jump off the St. Mary's band wagon. I took his comments as he didn't believe they were tournament tough due to the injury to Holt, but it wasn't so clear. I was wondering what everyone else got out of his, I'm shaking off SMC comment?
              I heard this too. I'm sure he is looking at the previous two losses and thinking late season collapse. No one realizes how good LMU really is (except us fans that actually watch games) and SMC will never get credit for Holt being injured. It just won't happen no matter how much the NCAA says they take injuries into account. If we don't beat USF and make the final in the WCC tourney, we are out.

What you need to understand is that most "analysts" don't do any homework before commenting on WCC games. Before the SMC / Murray State game, one analyst said "[I can't wait to see the matchup between Stephen Holt and Isaiah Canaan.]" Then another talked about how Delly is one of our best players "down low." Those guys are clown shoes.

Comment

• former1dog
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dirt McGirt View Post
                I heard this too. I'm sure he is looking at the previous two losses and thinking late season collapse. No one realizes how good LMU really is (except us fans that actually watch games) and SMC will never get credit for Holt being injured. It just won't happen no matter how much the NCAA says they take injuries into account. If we don't beat USF and make the final in the WCC tourney, we are out.

What you need to understand is that most "analysts" don't do any homework before commenting on WCC games. Before the SMC / Murray State game, one analyst said "[I can't wait to see the matchup between Stephen Holt and Isaiah Canaan.]" Then another talked about how Delly is one of our best players "down low." Those guys are clown shoes.
                Dirt,

My 2 cents. I think your team is down a bit and I think it relates directly to Holt being out, which is why I think USF has a very good chance of winning tomorrow.

FWIW - With a healthy Holt, SMC is the best team in the conference this season.

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Dirt...

You have to understand that Andy is on the GU payroll...we pay him, under the table of course, to promote Gonzaga Basketball . I have heard that Doug Gottlieb is available for a pittance of what Duke pays Dickie V or ND pays Digger.......God maybe a Gael, but he is not on ESPN...you need a better agent...

Comment

• Colbyspapa
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Jan 2008

Normally, I wouldn't have paid it any attention Dirt, but that was Katz. He is not every analyst. He knows the WCC and prides himself knowing more about Mid Major Conferences than anyone else in his business. I was very surprised to hear his comments knowing he watches WCC games.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by former1dog View Post

FWIW - With a healthy Holt, SMC is the best team in the conference this season.
                      In your opinion. Their best win is at home against us. I'll take the team that can win relevant OOC games away from home over the team that plays nobodies and bases their season on beating Gonzaga. Murray would have smoked them with or without Holt.
                      "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2011

Great point. Some of those ESPN analysts are totally clueless.
                        "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• former1dog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
                          In your opinion. Their best win is at home against us. I'll take the team that can win relevant OOC games away from home over the team that plays nobodies and bases their season on beating Gonzaga. Murray would have smoked them with or without Holt.
                          I disagree.

Although Delly put up decent numbers against Murray State, he was a game day decision due to a badly twisted ankle versus LMU. Waldow was also hurting (ribs). They were a depleted team versus Murray State.

SMC went into BYU and throttled a team that beat us by 10 on that court.

Holt, by the way, was not at full strength against us, either. Bruised thigh as I recall.

At full strength, they are a better team this year. Don't forget, the best we can do this year is tie SMC for the conference title and that is out of our hands.

Comment

• Demetri Awesome
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bullzag23 View Post
                            I agree recruiting has nothing to do with being tournament built. I actually loved the comment and completely agree with the comment. The WCC is generally full of unathletic sharp shooters comparatively. GU by far is a team that can play with anyone in the country as long as they come out with energy and don't turn the ball over.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                              • Apr 2011

I disagree. If SMC doesn't make it with a SF loss and not making the WCC tourney final, then we are looking at a 1-bid league, and I just don't see that happening.

Could it happen the way you are surmising? Sure, but I think (despite their weak OOC) they have done what it takes this year to make things happen, and having BYU in conference has boosted things from last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X