PDA

View Full Version : Complaining about officiating

kclubfounder
02-23-2012, 06:07 PM
I wish some of you who spend a bunch of time and effort blaming refs would ref a game or two at some point - in ANY sport.

Until technology replaces the need for human officials, the excuse of blaming a loss on officials will exist.

Unless the official is corrupt, calls are a part of the game - like having a ball bounce off the back iron, shoot 6 feet in the air, and fall through the hoop for 3.

The vast majority of times when you, as a fan, want to blame the officials for a loss, there is a large group of people who cheer for the other team who would be making the same complaints if it was their team that lost by 1 or 2 points.

GO ZAGS!!!!

Win by enough that a ref's stupid call won't matter!!!!!

MDABE80
02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Nice idea...doesn't work. USF game was a nice example.

northsidezagfan
02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Kinda like how if the Seahawks wouldn't have given up a trick play or miss tackles on this play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ8PgEZNjjw it wouldn't have mattered what the officials called in the 4th quarter? Big difference between complaining about blatantly s****y calls and blaming a loss on the refs. (and yes, there were blatantly bad calls in that game).

04ZagFan
02-23-2012, 06:46 PM
KClubfounder, you're not consistent.

Why are you allowed to blame the refs in Superbowl XL, but not any other time..?

Yes, calls are a part of the game.. But that doesn't mean they are the correct calls and aren't worth discussing. Nobody is suggesting protesting or anything like that, it's just conversation.

kclubfounder
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Kinda like how if the Seahawks wouldn't have given up a trick play or miss tackles on this play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ8PgEZNjjw it wouldn't have mattered what the officials called in the 4th quarter? Big difference between complaining about blatantly s****y calls and blaming a loss on the refs. (and yes, there were blatantly bad calls in that game).

It's not unusual for a specific call to be wrong and for the official to own up to it.

It's not unusual for a league to admit a specific call was wrong.

It IS unusual for an individual official to admit that a STRING of calls were wrong.

That's the difference.

kclubfounder
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
KClubfounder, you're not consistent.

Why are you allowed to blame the refs in Superbowl XL, but not any other time..?

Yes, calls are a part of the game.. But that doesn't mean they are the correct calls and aren't worth discussing. Nobody is suggesting protesting or anything like that, it's just conversation.

Dude, are you are obsessed with me?

Do I need a restraining order?

zag944
02-23-2012, 09:16 PM
it does sound petty after a loss for sure.

at the same time, I feel like basketball has done a lot for this conference, and it would be really nice to see the officiating improve overall. Just some good dialouge to encourage consistentcy and conference-wide protocol. Im sure this probably happens, but it sure as hell doesnt feel like it.

Obviously this is apples and oranges, but as a fan of the NFL I really appreciate that their rules committee strives to improve things every season, and usually does it for the better.

ZagNut08
02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Good thing Ive done a lot of officiating various sports in my days, so I am allowed to complain at how horribly the game was officiated tonight.

webspinnre
02-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Good thing Ive done a lot of officiating various sports in my days, so I am allowed to complain at how horribly the game was officiated tonight.

Ditto.

JPtheBeasta
02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Basketball is a game with rules, which are enforced by referees. These rules keep one team from gaining an unfair advantage on the other by breaking them. Doesn't it stand to reason that poor officiating can affect the outcome of a game? The more closely matched two teams are, the more important it is for a game to be called even-handedly. Bad calls can swing momentum of a game or stop a run. These are all vague notions, and I am not speaking directly to the BYU/GU game, but people that refuse to acknowledge that these dynamics are at work confuse me.

To use a non-basketball example, we all know that first base umpire blew Armando Gallaraga's perfect game last year. Why isn't it fare to call it what it is?

GU DID NOT lose the SFU game because of the officiating, but I still think it was bad. It's not being a sore loser. We criticize every other aspect of the games here on this board. Why can't people critique officiating? Frankly, I'd rather read that than threads about how short John Stockton is.