PDA

View Full Version : GU's Top Debate Team Earns Coveted First-Round, At-Large Berth

TerpZag
02-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Top Debate Team Earns Coveted First-Round, At-Large Berth to National Debate Tournament

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga University’s top debate team of seniors Leah Moczulski and Paul Kanellopoulos, both from Houston, has earned one of 16 coveted first-round, at-large berths to the 2012 National Debate Tournament March 28-April 2 in Atlanta, hosted by Emory University, the NDT announced today (Feb. 20).

The bid, extended to the nation’s top 16 teams, marks the 16th straight year Gonzaga has qualified at least one team to compete in the NDT and demonstrates the consistent excellence that has become a standard for Gonzaga debate. The ranking of the top 16 will be revealed at the opening ceremonies of the National Debate Tournament in Atlanta. Coach Glen Frappier said this Gonzaga team has a chance to earn the highest ranking ever for a Gonzaga team in the NDT, especially since they are currently ranked No. 4 in the nation in the most recent coaches’ poll....

Gonzaga Article Link (http://news.gonzaga.edu/2012/top-debate-team-earns-coveted-debate?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GonzagaUniversityNewsService+ %28Gonzaga+University+News+Service%29)

former1dog
02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Congrats!

Zag 77
02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
What if GU were to win the National Championship in Debate? Would we apply bumper stickers to our cars and start wearing GU Debate shirts?

Would we start a separate section devoted to GU Debate and start wringing our hands about who will be in the lineup next year?

Makes you think.

TerpZag
02-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Freshman Debate Team Qualifies for National Tournament, Joining Senior Team

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga University’s freshman debate team of Alexis Kostun and Jordon Newton has punched another Zag ticket to the upcoming 2012 National Debate Tournament after finishing in the top three at the district’s qualifying tourney at Weber State University. Now, two Gonzaga debate teams will vie for a national debate title.

The freshman team of Alexis Kostun, from Austin, Texas, and Spokane’s Jordon Newton posted a 5-1 record in the field of 18 at district last weekend (Feb. 24-26) to secure one of only three spots left in the NDT, which is set for March 28-April 2 in Atlanta. Kostun placed second in a vote for the Newcomer of the Year honor.

Gonzaga’s top debate team of seniors Leah Moczulski (Mow-ZUHL-skee) and Paul Kanellopoulos (Kan-uh-lop-oh-lus), both from Houston, already secured one of 16 coveted first-round, at-large berths issued to the nation’s best teams. The Zags’ senior team is ranked No. 4 in the nation in the most recent coaches’ poll. The NDT, hosted by Emory University, includes the nation’s best 72 teams.

Also at last weekend’s tourney, the district’s student-debaters voted Assistant Director Steve Pointer as the top overall judge in the district for the third consecutive year. District coaches voted Kanellopoulos as the District MVP/Debater of the Year, marking the second consecutive year a Gonzaga debater has won the award. Moczulski – Kanellopoulos’ debate partner – won the honor last year. Also, Gonzaga junior debater Alexis DiSanza posted a 4-2 record and just missed qualifying for the final available NDT slot.

This marks the 16th straight year Gonzaga has qualified at least one team for the NDT and underscores the consistent excellence that has become a hallmark of the program. Rankings for the top 16 teams will be revealed at the NDT opening ceremonies. Coach Glen Frappier says the Zags’ senior team could earn Gonzaga’s highest ranking ever in the NDT.

Gonzaga Article Link (http://news.gonzaga.edu/2012/gonzaga-freshman-debate-team-qualifies)

Bowser
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I used to hang out with these debate scum in the old days and have had the opportunity to be regaled with their tales even years after I got the hell out of Spokane. Its always blah, blah, blah.

I actually ran into this Paul fellow. He denied being a glue sniffer like the misfits from my era and he definately has better fashion sense and hygiene habits. However, he appears to be a virtual "re-incarnation" of the pugnacious spirit of the those 70's guys. He promised me that he would "kick the #### out of Northwestern" this year. I have no reason to doubt it.

FYI, Zag77, [if you had read all the articles in Signum] you should know GU earned a national debate championship in the late 20th Century. SnapCo did carry some product memorializing that accomplishment but they are now out of production. SnapCo is looking into a retro Gonzaga line. Will you send in your non-refundable order?

Pallet
03-12-2012, 01:46 PM
My brother in law is going to debate at GU next year. He's gone to nationals in high school a couple times and was attracted to the program's high performance when choosing schools.