PDA

View Full Version : Games in HD?

ZAGduck
07-14-2007, 01:42 PM
DISH Network just added Fox Sports NW HD (I can watch every Mariners home game in HD!).

What are the chances of FSN broadcasting GU (and other college) games in HD?

MickMick
07-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Hoooraayyy!!
I have dish network, DVR, and a DVD recorder!

Can you say "Commercial free"?

Hmm do I need something special like "Blue Ray" to record in HD? Any experts out there?

VaBeachZAG
07-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Both Dish and Directv DVRs should be able to record in HD. However, recording in HD dramatically reduces the recording time available on the DVR.

I personally wish I had the option of considering the Dish network, but on the east coast Directv is the only broadcaster I know of that offers the Fox Sports Northwest channel.

RenoZag
07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Wouldn't it depend on whether the hardware (cameras, uplinks, etc) at the MAC is HD capable? Would Fox Sports NW pay the extra $$ to get that done?

MDABE80
07-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Need HD cameras to broadcast in HD. Thus far, HD cams in Spokane are pretty rare. DOn't get me wrong, I'm happy even if the Zags are in analogue.
I suspect FOX will be HD very soon on Comcast in Spokane. Channel 664 Comcast is broadcasting the Mariner's game in HD now. Can our Zags be far behind? I sure hope not.

brasszag
07-14-2007, 05:19 PM
That would be strange as Spokane is one of the oldest HD markets.

Seriously.

ZAGduck
07-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't it depend on whether the hardware (cameras, uplinks, etc) at the MAC is HD capable? Would Fox Sports NW pay the extra $$ to get that done?

The Stanford game (on CBS) last year at McCarthey was in HD, so it is possible. As to whether Fox will ante up, that is the crux of my question.

ZagSlug
07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
If you copy games in HD to DVD they will look real nice but won't be HD. High Def DVD recorders are pretty pricey.

Add to that the price of HD DVDs or Blu-Ray and you are going to spend a fortune at this date.

ZAGduck
07-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Hmm do I need something special like "Blue Ray" to record in HD? Any experts out there?

You will need a HD programming package and HD hardware. The hardware would include a DISH 1000 dish and either a VIP222 or VIP622 (DVR) receiver. As an existing customer I think you can upgrade to this leased equpment (installed) for $99.

No way to output the HD signal to a seperate recording device (yet). The only outputs are coax and composite cable.

MickMick
07-14-2007, 06:20 PM
You will need a HD programming package and HD hardware. The hardware would include a DISH 1000 dish and either a VIP222 or VIP622 (DVR) receiver. As an existing customer I think you can upgrade to this leased equpment (installed) for $99.

No way to output the HD signal to a seperate recording device (yet). The only outputs are coax and composite cable.

I am set up for HD on the Dish end of it. I watch several HD channels. Will have to check if my DVR records in HD. I ultimately want to put the games on a disc in HD format. Perhaps "Blue Ray" does this? From what you are saying, there are no outlets on the back of my receiver capable of doing this.
Dang it!

Within 5-10 years, everything will be HD compatible. Sheesh .....the growing pains of technology.

ZagSlug
07-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Unless you dropped 5-10 grand on your DVD recorder it will not record in High Definition. I have software that can write high def content to a standard DVD but it takes a long time to edit and process plus a standard DVD will only hold about 20 minutes.

You just need a really large hard drive so that you can output your DVR content to DVD in 5 years when they are readily available.

blu-Ray and DH-DVD are competing formats that are both high definition, it is VHS versus BetaMax Round 2.

BoZarth
07-14-2007, 07:35 PM
My Dish DVR (VIP622) records in HD. However, the Fox Sports Northwest HD channel they just added is not broadcasting anything at the moment (Channel 376 on my TV). I'm North of Seattle.

ZaggyStardust
07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Actually, even with comcast here in Spokane, there were a few HD games last year on Fox - same channel as the Mariners this year, 664. I think they were just the Marquis games i.e. UCLA vs anyone! I think they only had one set of HD equipment and took it to the premier game of the week. Probably will be the same next year if there is only one channel. Zags probably won't out muscle the Pac ten for the Fox HD games because of their ties to ESPN.

MickMick
07-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I live in Tri-Cities (Pasco, Kennewick, Richland), Washington.

We use that Fox Sports NetworkTractor/Trailor mobile satellite broadcaster unit thingy here for our unlimited hydroplane races (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4zJW_jIBI0). Funny thing is that it has Gonzaga painted on the side of the trailor in huge letters along with a fancy paint job in the school colors. If I recall correctly, it may even have a large picture of Spike on it as well.

In other words, it looks like a unit dedicated to Zag hoops which is also used to broadcast unlimited hydroplane races (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdV9pc64eQ&mode=related&search=)here in the Tri-Cities at the end of July. I'm not even sure if it was FOX that was broadcasting the races either. It may have been the CBS affiliate doing the broadcast. I'm really not sure how it all works. It may have been a couple years ago and I may have been under the influence of hot sun, bikini clad young gals, and a few brews. But I am very sure I have seen that unit here in town for some type of broadcast.

I would think that the fancy truck would definately be set up to broadcast in Hi Def. as it is used for more than just Zag basketball.

note: just how subliminal can I get?

Edit: After reading BoltZag's post (2 below), maybe it was NBC (not CBS) doing the broadcast. I just recall thinking that it was strange that the Gonzaga logo was on a rig broadcasting through a network other than Fox, as I was accustomed to seeing the Zags on FSN. Further, he jogged my memory a bit. I think I do recall seeing KHQ on the trailor as well.

Jabber
07-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I live in San Diego and thanks to Fox, ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS, I saw every Zags game last year. I use Direct TV with an HD DVR. If I recall correctly, and I believe I do as I am a bit of an HD snob, every game except the Fox Sports NW were in HD. I know I had space on the DVR for quite a few games. If FOX goes HD this season that will be a bonus.

BoltZag
07-15-2007, 11:44 AM
The Stanford game (on CBS) last year at McCarthey was in HD, so it is possible.

Not quite.

The Stanford game was in Palo Alto last year, not The Kennel and the game was broadcast in HD by FoxSports Net...not CBS. The previous year, in The Kennel, the game was broadcast in HD as part of ESPN's Saturday Primetime/College GameDay.

Games from The Kennel are, save for a few exceptions, picked up by FoxSports NW from the local Spokane NBC affiliate, KHQ, and are not broadcast in HD...ever, regardless of your cable/satellite provider. Hopefully, that will change, but I wouldn't hold my breath. CBS doesn't even broadcast the entire NCAA basketball tourney in HD yet.

If I recall correctly, and I believe I do as I am a bit of an HD snob, every game except the Fox Sports NW were in HD.

Nope - most of the Big Monday broadcasts were not in HD as ESPN doesn't keep an HD truck on the west coast for college basketball broadcasts.

I suspect, as in the past, the only HD carriage we'll get is when GU plays high-profile games away from home, i.e. Hall of Fame Challenge, Memphis (hopefully CBS will pick this game up), and the annual ESPN on ABC Saturday afternoon game.

spokane86
07-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Here's a link explaining how many sporting events originating in the Inland Northwest are produced. KHQ-TV owns the production trailer that is used for most Gonzaga Basketball games in Spokane. FSN and even ESPN rent the production truck from KHQ. Be sure to click on the "Spokane Sports Television Truck" video link under Video Now. It explains more in detail.

http://www.khq.com/global/Story.asp?s=5413973

spokane86
07-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Also, http://www.spokanesports.com is a cleaner link that will take you to the same page.

MickMick
07-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Watching the clips, I didn't see the Gonzaga logo on the truck. But I know for sure I have seen it. Maybe they repainted the truck? It has been a few years since I have seen the truck down here.

kdaleb
07-17-2007, 06:38 AM
I personally wish I had the option of considering the Dish network, but on the east coast Directv is the only broadcaster I know of that offers the Fox Sports Northwest channel.

I live in Northern Virginia, have Dish Network, and get FSNW (along w/ all the other Fox regional channels).