• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NotoriousZ
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2008

Lunardi's bracket Feb. 20th

Zags a 7 seed. Same with SMC.

There goes my hopes of winning out and being a 3 seed in Portland. MAYBE they can still get a 5 (or even a 4 with some other teams dropping) and land up in the northwest...but I don't think we'll be that lucky.

Then there's that whole deal about playing a 1 seed earlier than you would like. When the Zags are on their game and not turning the ball over every other friggin' possession, they have the pieces to take down a giant. It could be one of our greatest moments.

But gotta get there first...beat BYU!

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
    Last edited by NotoriousZ; 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!
  • Goshzagit
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2007

Geez, now we're flirting around with the 8/9 line again, which doesn't get any worse, imo.

We can still win our way back up to a 6 seed, which isn't too shabby. If we win out, I believe a 6 is our ceiling and as low as a 8 seed.

If we lose to BYU, we'll most likely be the 3 or 4 seed heading into WCC and...I don't even want to think about that...

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

All three of the teams drop in this version of bracketolgy. Yes. Murry St beat St. Mary's but Lunardi must be aware that Holt was out and Delly had a bad ankle. I guess that doesn't count. Yes..GU lost to USf @ USF. Lunardi should know that winning @ USF is very difficult. Rather than acknowledging that the WCC is a good conference with five really good teams, he punishes us for losing @ USF. The Zags should have gone down from a 5 to a 6. Usually when a team loses they drop a seed and when they win they go up one seed. So if we beat BYU and San Diego we will be a 6 in Lunardi's brackets. The good news is Joe is good at figuring out who gets in, but not as good at what seed they will get. I agree that a 6 seed is okay. And actually I like the 7 seed too. Like many of us I would like to be in the lower seeds (5-10) and face the #2 seed rather then playing the #1 seed.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Bogozags
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2008

NCAA TOURNAMENT SCENARIOS:

1a. Let's say SMC loses to USF and we beat BYU at home and win the WCC, then we are looking at a 5-6 seed. I of course, prefer the 6 seed, staying away from the 1 seeds.

2a. If we beat BYU at home and win the WCC tournament, I believe we will either be a 5 or 6 seed. If we beat BYU and lose the WCC tournament, we wind up either the 7-9 seeds. The 7 seed would be my choice, again staying away from the 1 seeds.

3a. If we lose to BYU and lose the WCC tournament, we wind up in the 9-11 seeds. Being either the 10 or the 11 seed would be my prefer these seeds to the 9 seed.

WCC TOURNAMENT SCENARIOS:

1b. If SMC loses to USF and we beat BYU, then we play the winner of the USF-BYU game. We win this game and beat LMU in the finals.

2b. If we beat BYU, then we are the two seed and play LMU in the semi-finals and the BYU/USF winner would play the #1 seed SMC. I believe SMC loses this game and we play BYU in the conference finals. We play BYU in the finals and...

3b. If we lose to BYU...we will be a four seed and just do not want to be matched up against USF who would be the five seed...that is my worry. I do not fear playing SMC for the third time in the semi-finals as I feel w/o Holt they are very vulnerable. We beat SMC and play BYU in the finals. There is a possibility that LMU wins this game and believe this is our best match-up in the finals.

Two match-ups I do not want to see happen in the WCC tournament: 4 seed GU vs 5 seed USF and 4 seed GU vs 2 seed BYU in the finals.

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
          Kennel Club
          • Feb 2007

I'm pretty sure the worse the Zags can be is a 3 seed in the WCC. If they lose to BYU on Thursday they will be tied with BYU having the head to head tiebreaker. GU and LMU tie and GU has the head to head tiebreaker. Right?

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
            I'm pretty sure the worse the Zags can be is a 3 seed in the WCC. If they lose to BYU on Thursday they will be tied with BYU having the head to head tiebreaker. GU and LMU tie and GU has the head to head tiebreaker. Right?
            Don't know how that tie-break sets up: GU loses twice to #1 and #2 seeds and LMU losing twice to #1 seed and splitting with #2 seed. If it is looked at from that point, then GU is the 4 seed and if they go the head to head first, then GU is the #3 seed. I don't know how the WCC breaks ties so I went with the worst case scenario with GU as a 4 seed IF we lose to BYU Thursday.

Comment

• zagfan1970
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2011

It is not that we "dropped" as much as it is that other teams moved up as they earned it. Creighton had a nice win against an under rated LBSt team, Notre Dame continues to play great, New Mexico and Witchita St both had far better weeks than the Zags did. Add it all up and we are where we deserve to be! I would not mind this draw at all! A 6 or 7 seed with Ohio St or Kansas a 2 seed would give the Zags the best chance of advancing IMO.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                Administrator
                • Apr 2009

Gonzaga and SMC as 7 seeds sounds about right after this past week-end.

Something tells me that St. Mary's is going to slide a little more and be in real bubble danger. They look like a team that is playing hurt. I don't think they have enough depth to overcome injuries during these final weeks of the season. I hate to see that happen, because I thought that the WCC had three legitimate Sweet 16 contenders on February 1st. Right now, I'm not sure that St. Mary's is playing well enough to make that kind of run. As for Gonzaga, I just hope that our kids shake off the funk they were in on Saturday night and come back with a win on Thursday.
                “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2011

Wait, I thought we had no chance of making the tourney anymore?
                  "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• BJZags
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
                    Wait, I thought we had no chance of making the tourney anymore?
                    You forget, for many, winning the WCC and making the NCAA tournament are inclusive benchmarks.
                    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be.
                    Coach John R. Wooden

Comment

• Das Zagger
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                      Gonzaga and SMC as 7 seeds sounds about right after this past week-end.

Something tells me that St. Mary's is going to slide a little more and be in real bubble danger. They look like a team that is playing hurt. I don't think they have enough depth to overcome injuries during these final weeks of the season. I hate to see that happen, because I thought that the WCC had three legitimate Sweet 16 contenders on February 1st. Right now, I'm not sure that St. Mary's is playing well enough to make that kind of run. As for Gonzaga, I just hope that our kids shake off the funk they were in on Saturday night and come back with a win on Thursday.
                      It will be interesting with SMC.

Quality wins outside of the WCC? None with a bad loss to Denver.

I don't think the WCC gets 3 teams in (the P-12 will get 3 in before the WCC does (not saying that's right but auto-berths were created for BCS teams)) but instead gets 2, it will be GU and either SMC/BYU with SMC getting the edge with 2 wins (sans tourney).

Have to, have to beat BYU on Thursday.

Comment

• caduceus
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

The Bracket Project Matrix (a consensus of 70 or so bracketologists) has us right now as the top 6 seed.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BJZags View Post
                          You forget, for many, winning the WCC and making the NCAA tournament are inclusive benchmarks.
                          Unless Jay "Dream Killer" Bilas gets his way. He's still going on about removing the automatic bids (not going to happen, Jay).
                          It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• kyle dixon
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Beat BYU

Now we got to focus on BYU and back to one game at a time. I am glad the NCAA coaches do not select the teams for the NCAA tourney field. St Mary's still ranked at 23. Been boat raced by double digits in three of their past four games (us, LMU, and Murray State). It pays to have a coach voting for the ESPN Coaches poll (Randy Bennett). Wow...

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2008

This team has earned a 7 at best, so far. I don't see them doing well with that number wrapped around their neck. Especially with any significant travel.
                              "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

Working...
                              X