PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Gives this one away

Reborn
02-18-2012, 11:33 PM
But give USF credit for outhustling the Zags and wanting it more. I am not sure why this game meant more to USF, but it did. USF was definitely the team that played harder and played with more confidence and aggression. There was only one way that GU could lose to USF and that was by committing as many turnovers as they did. To commit 21 turnovers this late in the season is simply unexcusable, and due to one thing only, lack of focus and or preperation.

Any good high school team knows how to, and is able to, beat any full court zone press. There's no secret to it. You DON'T dribble the ball a lot (you pass it), and you get the ball to the middle of the court by passing it. Why did Gonzaga not have a guy in the middle of their press? And why does David Stockton dribble the ball so much against the press? And why does he NOT not know that there will always be guys coming behind him to tip the ball. Most of our errors against the press came from overdribbling which played right into their traps. It was disgusting to me (maybe because I was a guard) to see this kind of display of ignorance and lack of focus, when all that is needed is to employ the simple tactics on how to beat a full-court press, which every high school coach knows. To me there is only one place to place the blame and that is on their Coach Mark Few. How could the Zags NOT BE PREPARED to totally destroy that press with good solid passing. Why did the Zags do what all great teams will do to a press and that is to score layups off of it and make them get out of it. And I am not sure if Gonzaga got any layups against USF's press. And honestly, I am sick of seing Robert drop the ball, or have the ball knocked out of his hands, or simple taken away from him for one more turnover. Rob is a Red Shirt Senior, our captain and leader, and quite simply there is no excuse for this kind of play in a game that was this important. Every single Zag who played had a turnover, and they were led by Robert Sacre with 6. Yes I said 6 turnovers by our captain and leader in a very important game. There were six Zags with two or more turnovers. However, Elias Harris only had one turnover.

The Zags beat USF in every category except one, and they even out shot them from behind the arc. If you told me before the game that Gonzaga would outshoot USF from behind the 3 pt line 7-4 there would not have been anyway that I would have thought they cold lose. WE outrebound them by 10. We only miss two free throws, and shot 81% from the line. Again if I had known we would shoot this well from the foul line, and outrebound them by 10 rebounds I would have never have thought we could lose. And yet we did. Gonzaga played good on defense too, holding them to 28% shoting from behind the arc. We held Coloiaro to 10 points and Doolin to 8 which was very good defense. The Zags held USF to 66 points which is much below their average.

But there is only one thing that matters and that is the points at the end of the game, and they scored one more point then GU did. And there was only one thing different in our game with USF and BYU's game with USF, and that was that Green missed his game ending shot against BYU (and he was wide open) and against GU he makes one falling down. To put it simply, the Dons seem to do this to Gonzaga U when we play them in their home.

I disagree with the majority on this Board who think that the conference is over, and that GU will finish second. The conference is not over. There is still a week. Of course St. Mary's can lose @ USF and there is a good chance they will. The Zags just need to get ready to beat BYU in the Kennel next week and then go and finish conference play by beating San Diego. I still have faith in the Zags. I think they can beat BYU in K2. And I know USF can beat St. Maries. I said it before. USF lost twice to LMU by one and two points. Basically they are just as good as LMU and they showed it tonight. The WCC is an awesome conference this year, and may be one of the best in the country right now. I will finish by saying one more time, Go Zags!!! The Best is Yet To Come!!!

katman50
02-19-2012, 02:49 AM
Excellent and well thought out post, Reborn. It couldn't be said any better.

Zag79
02-19-2012, 03:45 AM
Any good high school team knows how to, and is able to, beat any full court zone press. There's no secret to it. You DON'T dribble the ball a lot (you pass it), and you get the ball to the middle of the court by passing it. Why did Gonzaga not have a guy in the middle of their press? And why does David Stockton dribble the ball so much against the press? And why does he NOT not know that there will always be guys coming behind him to tip the ball. Most of our errors against the press came from overdribbling which played right into their traps. It was disgusting to me (maybe because I was a guard) to see this kind of display of ignorance and lack of focus, when all that is needed is to employ the simple tactics on how to beat a full-court press, which every high school coach knows. To me there is only one place to place the blame and that is on their Coach Mark Few. How could the Zags NOT BE PREPARED to totally destroy that press with good solid passing. Why did the Zags do what all great teams will do to a press and that is to score layups off of it and make them get out of it. And I am not sure if Gonzaga got any layups against USF's press.

:000tens:

Sarenyon
02-19-2012, 03:51 AM
I didn't get to see the game last night (first one this season) but looking at the stats and perusing the board... glad I did not. 22 Turnovers! Yes they litterally gave this one away.

I have no idea why our young guards struggle against the press. Yes they are young, but this comes down to fundamentals and coaching. Very frustrating and TOs will probably be the reason for a first or second round exit this year.

allnet59
02-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Well said reborn. Beat the press a couple off times with easy layups by passing over or around and they pull off the press. Keep dribbling into double teams and not having a guy trailing the ball was a huge mistake. That happened a lot last year when stockton was spelling leech in games where the other coach knew he could rattle David into turnovers. The better team did not win last night but the smarter team did. The game plan was to speed the game up by double teaming and coach few didn't have a game plan or change of plan to stop it. It's not over yet but I saw tonight an easy way to rattle our young guards if I was a coach preparing to play the Zags.

bballbeachbum
02-19-2012, 07:35 AM
:000tens:

agree.

I'll also look at the personnel, it has to be considered too. Kevin and David struggle with pressure, physically, and have all year. With Kevin rattled, and he sure as heck look rattled last night, he went 0-5 from deep on open looks. The 3 is a huge part of his game, can't go 0-5 on open looks anymore. He makes one and GU wins anyway, with all this turnover madenss anyway. David came in and added fuel to the fire, doused nothing unfortunately. Carter got 3 minutes...three, and this after he was key in Spokane at breaking USF's pressure.

the turnovers aren't going anywhere probably, but GU can still win anyway, almost did last night except for Green's shot.

I am not defending the turnovers, no way; I just expect them to continue (hopefully not to the tune of 22 a game). GU has to find ways to win anyway.

and Kevin needs to learn to play on the road. Gary broke thru last night.

Ezag
02-19-2012, 07:40 AM
I agree with everything above. That being said, I really wish Mike Hart had more offense. I love everything about this kid, but he was the only Zag given breathing room, not respected at all by USF and I wished he would have made them pay. There was at least a couple of wide open 3 opportunities for Hart and he passed on them. Not saying he's is why we lost at all, just wished he could have been the hero....

Oregonzagnut
02-19-2012, 07:57 AM
I agree with your post Reborn, but this I think you miss.

But give USF credit for outhustling the Zags and wanting it more. I am not sure why this game meant more to USF, but it did.

WHY?!?!? Beating Gonzaga is the goal of every WCC team except maybe BYU who hasn't had to endure and agonize over the 11 years of futility of at best only tying or getting second place. They rushed the court! They just beat a top 25 team! Should I go on?

The fact is EVERY WCC team hates us and wants nothing more than to beat us out of spite, team pride and the hope that someone, ANYONE will take the conference championship from Gonzaga! And USF did just that so others can finally get a chance to win the conference.

ezcure17
02-19-2012, 08:21 AM
SO SO right, Reborn. So sick and tired of watching Stockton dribble into trouble!! He has NO RIGHT being on the court against pressing teams. As soon as he gets the ball in the backcourt, what does he do? He picks up his dribble and is DEAD!!! NO WAY he should be seeing that many minutes in a game like this. Carter needs to be on the floor way more than him. Carter is so afraid of making a mistake and getting yanked out by Few. He needs to have a little more time out there.
Few's gameplan is getting REALLY STALE!!! I seriously believe it's time for a change. I think it's time for Lloyd to take over. We need to have a PLAYERS' coach. Not someone who coaches SO erratically as Few. I mean, come on, with all of the talent we have had over the years...and only 1 elite 8??? Time for a change.

BJZags
02-19-2012, 08:23 AM
To me there is only one place to place the blame and that is on their Coach Mark Few. How could the Zags NOT BE PREPARED to totally destroy that press with good solid passing.

Awesome post with good stats to back it up. Can't say I disagree with anything you said. I do wonder if Few DID practice and prepare his team on how to best break a press, and the players simply just couldn't get the job done, whether because of nerves or whatever. The coach can draw x's and o's, but the players have to execute.

allnet59
02-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Why did the player in bounding the ball time and again run down court and leave the ball handler alone against the double team. Aka coaching mistake.... Call a time out and make adjustments imo carter should have player way more minutes but like a post above mentioned he is gun shy of being yanked for making one mistake. That's a sad fact this year.

Reborn
02-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Why did the player in bounding the ball time and again run down court and leave the ball handler alone against the double team. Aka coaching mistake.... Call a time out and make adjustments imo carter should have player way more minutes but like a post above mentioned he is gun shy of being yanked for making one mistake. That's a sad fact this year.

I know exactly what you mean. Dower was the guy taking the ball out of bounds and heading down court and leaving stocks to fend for himself...Like I said, it really didn't look like the Zags were prepared. and even if they were, the coach can still call a timeout and get it straight. Pangos was in foul trouble which really hurt. Stocktan has always been a dribble fanatic and Few reinforces it by NOT sitting him on the bench and INSIST that he learns to play basketball at the Div 1 level....Stocks was so good last year. I have been surprised by how poorly he has played this year.

Reborn
02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree with your post Reborn, but this I think you miss.

WHY?!?!? Beating Gonzaga is the goal of every WCC team except maybe BYU who hasn't had to endure and agonize over the 11 years of futility of at best only tying or getting second place. They rushed the court! They just beat a top 25 team! Should I go on?

The fact is EVERY WCC team hates us and wants nothing more than to beat us out of spite, team pride and the hope that someone, ANYONE will take the conference championship from Gonzaga! And USF did just that so others can finally get a chance to win the conference.

Good question! I understand why the game was so important to USF. What i didn't get last night was how it did not have as much as or even greater importance to the Zags....We did not play like the game was ALL THAT important. Just another frickin game. I saw such little passion last night out of the Zags, and that just upsets me. There was absolutely NO fire in that dead team. I think Bell and Harris had it, excuse me. But it takes five.Or maybe 8. Gonzaga had better find that fire, that passion, and begin to play with it, or its all over I think.

jim77
02-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Dead on Reborn.

Vanzagger
02-19-2012, 12:23 PM
SO SO right, Reborn. So sick and tired of watching Stockton dribble into trouble!! He has NO RIGHT being on the court against pressing teams. As soon as he gets the ball in the backcourt, what does he do? He picks up his dribble and is DEAD!!! NO WAY he should be seeing that many minutes in a game like this. Carter needs to be on the floor way more than him. Carter is so afraid of making a mistake and getting yanked out by Few. He needs to have a little more time out there.
Few's gameplan is getting REALLY STALE!!! I seriously believe it's time for a change. I think it's time for Lloyd to take over. We need to have a PLAYERS' coach. Not someone who coaches SO erratically as Few. I mean, come on, with all of the talent we have had over the years...and only 1 elite 8??? Time for a change.

First...Few has never been to the Elite 8

Now...the problem is not last night's game. The problem is Few was going to waste this year, Sacre's senior year, by starting David Stockton. We do have enough talent to put around Stockton to hide him, but why make it so hard.

Bad coaching. Lloyd and Daniels I would trust most.

Zags11
02-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Flame away but as long as david gets meaningful minutes(15-25) and the team is physical and athletic, he will struggle. Im shocked he has stunk it up vs the so so wcc teams this year. He oesnt shoot good from anywhere and doesnt know how to beat a press. Kevin realy struggled last night but he has way more upside then downside. I hope he can start shooting on the road or an early exit is likely in ncaa and possibly the wcc tourny. I love Kevin too.

I want carter out there more then DS. Better rebounder, better defender and lately (besides 3pt %) better fg % too. I know some say well, they dont play same spots. Kevin also isnt a sg or bell a sf either so they could make this work out. And for saying david passes to post the best, that is fine but he also giving it all back plus some on defense.

Reborn
02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I went back to watch the LMU game last week because I felt it was one of the best games that Gonzaga played this year. David Stockton played little because he hurt his anlkle, and honestly they did not miss him at all. Maurice Carter got most of his minutes, and as it has been said on this board, Carter would be better than David and I think he showed he was. Yet he never got any of those mintues against USF. Carter played 3 minutes. One thing Carter does give us that Stockton will never, and that is good solid defense. If you watch the game you will see that many of the points scored were by guys David was guarding. It didn't' matter whether he guarded Dolin or Green, they scored on him. I would have to say he may be the worst defensive player to ever wear a Zag uniform.

I can understand how Few will trade defense for really good offensive players like Adam Morrison, maybe Bouldin. But David does NOT bring that much to the offensive end. Not this year anyway.

Watch that replay of LMU if you can and you will probably come to the same conclusion I have.

Baseline
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Reborn was right, no passion! How can this be, I just don't understand playing with so much to lose in such a calm manner.

Few didn't adapt during the game, but he shouldn't have had to, any good high school kid can adapt better than what I saw. Quite frankly I don't understand what is going on, it all seems very foreign to me.

Oregonzagnut
02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Good question! I understand why the game was so important to USF. What i didn't get last night was how it did not have as much as or even greater importance to the Zags....We did not play like the game was ALL THAT important. Just another frickin game. I saw such little passion last night out of the Zags, and that just upsets me. There was absolutely NO fire in that dead team. I think Bell and Harris had it, excuse me. But it takes five.Or maybe 8. Gonzaga had better find that fire, that passion, and begin to play with it, or its all over I think.

reborn, if you are interested, read your PM. No one here wants my opinion on why we have problems sustaining a critical sense of urgency and focus.

Zag79
02-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Yes we do....

CamarilloZag
02-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Please share, Oregonzagnut.

bartruff1
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM

awberke
02-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Boy, these are meaningful posts. Trying to boost your post count?

siliconzag
02-20-2012, 09:07 AM
reborn, if you are interested, read your PM. No one here wants my opinion on why we have problems sustaining a critical sense of urgency and focus.

O contraire. I try to read everyone's posts. The mainstreamers leave me a bit bored with all their pedantic praise. I love it when you dare to share your more unconventional thoughts, many of which are on target. I am guessing Coach doesn't need to be reminded that he kind of had the lads ill prepared for the game at USF. The game was a combination of poor preparation and poor execution of fundamentals. Those are both coaching issues. However it must also be said, that this is a developmentally fragile team. They are young, and sometimes yungins just ain't ready to fight.

Sili

zagfan1970
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
I disagree with the majority on this Board who think that the conference is over, and that GU will finish second. The conference is not over. There is still a week. Of course St. Mary's can lose @ USF and there is a good chance they will. The Zags just need to get ready to beat BYU in the Kennel next week and then go and finish conference play by beating San Diego. I still have faith in the Zags. I think they can beat BYU in K2. And I know USF can beat St. Maries. I said it before. USF lost twice to LMU by one and two points. Basically they are just as good as LMU and they showed it tonight. The WCC is an awesome conference this year, and may be one of the best in the country right now. I will finish by saying one more time, Go Zags!!! The Best is Yet To Come!!!

I will say it again. In order for GU to win the conference championship they must win tonight. And I'm glad the game is @ USF. The conference champion needs to win vital games on the road. The Zags have won one at LMU but lost two, one to St. Mary's and one to BYU. Both BYU and LMU have beaten the Dons in San Francisco; so if the Zags are to win the conference title it is only right that they must beat USF tonight.

, I knew that this game tonight was going to be one of the crucial games that Gonzaga would need to win. And it is. The Zags are ready to take that next step in winning the conference title.

Why the quick change of logic?

zagfan1970
02-20-2012, 10:24 AM
maybe you did actually read my reply to your Pre-USF game post?

First, hot cocoa won't help you fall asleep. Too much sugar!

Second, IMO the Zags don't really HAVE to win tonight to win the WCC. They have to win out to EARN it. But, I feel if the Zags lose tonight, USF will also beat St. Mary's. The Gaels are w/o Holt, Delly is hurt, and they will be on a downward spiral, perhaps even losing to Portland who played them tough in Moraga.

Everyone is so quick to claim the Zags are now "on a roll" since winning 4 straight since the egg they layed in Provo. I am not a firm believer yet. They allowed an average Pepperdine team to stick around too long, then played 2 great games at HOME and then struggled to put away 0-12 SC on the road. Either of their last 2 ROAD efforts will result in a loss tonight. Do I think they CAN win tonight? YES!!! DO I think they are the better TEAM? YES!!! AM I convinced they will come out and throw the first punch and Play 40 minutes of smart energy filled basketball on the road? Not yet!!! But I am hoping for a breakthrough or atleast a reemergence of the Xavier type attitude!

Go Zags!!! Win tonight & Thursday to win the WCC outright!

GeorgiaZagFan
02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
there seems to be a lot of bashing the backup PG ...a guy that played just a couple of minutes in the 2nd half. DS did NOT win or lose this game!!! The real problem is our inability to take care of the ball and shoot away from the Kennel... Our freshman should NOT be freshmen anymore and our Seniors need to step it up and make plays!
And ANYONE who uses the lame excuse for Carter's bad play this year "he's afraid to make a mistake" is completely out of it, just as Carter is. Don't know what the problem is...but except for a few flashes of last year, Carter has been BAD on both sides of the ball. His defense this year is just as bad as Stockton's.

zagfan1970
02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
there seems to be a lot of bashing the backup PG ...a guy that played just a couple of minutes in the 2nd half. DS did NOT win or lose this game!!! The real problem is our inability to take care of the ball and shoot away from the Kennel... Our freshman should NOT be freshmen anymore and our Seniors need to step it up and make plays!
And ANYONE who uses the lame excuse for Carter's bad play this year "he's afraid to make a mistake" is completely out of it, just as Carter is. Don't know what the problem is...but except for a few flashes of last year, Carter has been BAD on both sides of the ball. His defense this year is just as bad as Stockton's.

While I agree that DS is not THE reason we lost this game (would be like blaming the FG kicker), you must admit that when KP picked up his 2nd foul and went to the bench and DS came in that the game changed? 2 TO's and a costly Flagrant helped fuel the run that saw a 9 point lead turn into a 6 point deficit. All were to blame (although less blame to GBJ and EH). It still baffles me that Few put MK in vs. LMU because they were being very physical and "getting in to us" why he would not try MK a little at breaking that full court press! He has the ability to see over the top of the trap and make the pass that leads to a 4-3 or 3-2 advantage on the break.

ZagsGoZags
02-20-2012, 06:30 PM
come on oregonzagnut
some of us like philosophical reasoning
and if it isn't a personal attack
maybe we could all learn something

For the piddly two cents I throw into the board,
I am always getting a dollar's worth of learning back from the board

Zags11
02-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Funny how carter is playing better then DS(your man) for last 18 games. LOL. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody gets beat on D and that is all fine. Except when they go 1on1 repeatedly vs DS and burn him. He has been bad.

GeorgiaZagFan
02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Funny how carter is playing better then DS(your man) for last 18 games. LOL. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody gets beat on D and that is all fine. Except when they go 1on1 repeatedly vs DS and burn him. He has been bad.

neither has been playing well lately ...but Carter has been non-existent for most of the year. I had high hopes for Carter after last year, I had hopes that DS would be a good backup PG this year. Both have not fulfilled those hopes but Carter has not outplayed ANYONE this year!!

Zags11
02-20-2012, 08:33 PM
neither has been playing well lately ...but Carter has been non-existent for most of the year. I had high hopes for Carter after last year, I had hopes that DS would be a good backup PG this year. Both have not fulfilled those hopes but Carter has not outplayed ANYONE this year!!

I disagree. He has outplayed stockton for the last 18 games. All you have to do is compare the 2 in stats. I give credit where credit is due. IS carter like last yr? No. Has he played as many minutes? No. Both are "worse" then the year before. The 1st 8 games, DS was better. Last 18...not so much.

Reborn
02-21-2012, 05:29 AM
I rewatched the St. Mary's game yesterday, and David played most of the second half and did a really good job. Actually a great job. We all know that it was in the last 8 minutes of that game that GU finally pulled away, and it was our 3 point shooting that did it. The Zags have been shooting pretty well from the outside lately. Even against USF the Zags had 7 three's. And we all know that it wasn't our shooting, or our defense that cost us that game. I think our offense and defense is cranked up and running smoothly. The job now is to stop turning the ball over, and like Mark Few said, especially the "bone head" mistakes. I totally believe that if the Zags are ahead by one point in the last minute that Rob Sacre should not be in offense, or if he is that he should not touch the ball. He's a huge liability.

Goshzagit
02-21-2012, 07:13 AM
I disagree. He has outplayed stockton for the last 18 games. All you have to do is compare the 2 in stats. I give credit where credit is due. IS carter like last yr? No. Has he played as many minutes? No. Both are "worse" then the year before. The 1st 8 games, DS was better. Last 18...not so much.

I don't mind playing Stocks, we're just playing him at all the wrong times.

For instance, when we need a defensive stop, we put in Stockton. Why?

At one point vs USF, DS was burned -- literally -- on 4 straight possessions for the buckets, foul, or wide-open shot. After watching the replay, he accounted for at least 6 one-on-one breakdowns on defense. Our team was actually playing solid defense for the most part, except when Stocks was on Williams or Doolin = easy buckets. This simple breakdown drives me insane. Coach Few's personal pet project is getting flat out smoked on defense, yet we put him in when we're desperate or need a shot OR even worse, when we switch to 2-3 zone and he's at the top = laughable logic, imo.

I don't mind him when we have a lead and trying to space our offense or when Pangos needs blow in the middle of a half, such as we did vs St marys.

However, at crunch time, when we need defense, or to close out a game is simple ridiculous, embarrassing for Coach Few, and makes zero sense.

Personally, I believe the primary reason(although there were numerous) we lost to USF was Stocktons' 15 minutes. I'm not kidding you when he was solely responsible for 10 straight USF points: 4 off two direct TO's/steals, then was smoked on man2man defense 4 straight times down the floor by 3 different players. How can the Coaches NOT see this?!

Again, should Stockts log some minutes? Sure, yet when we need a defensive stop? God almighty.

While Carter hasn't been much better, he was the better "match-up" vs USF. Not a coincidence he had his two best games last season vs USF, b/c he's pretty darn solid vs pressure defenses, see St Johns and USF just a year ago.

Reborn
02-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Carter is way better than Stockton on defense. not even close. Stockton is by far the worse defensive player on the team. By far! But I'm done talking about Stockton now. What good does it do. We have all said everything that needs to be said. We aren't the coach; so for me I'm just moving on from this discussion to something new. Hope the Zags win with him.

zagfan1970
02-21-2012, 10:06 AM
I rewatched the St. Mary's game yesterday, and David played most of the second half and did a really good job. Actually a great job. We all know that it was in the last 8 minutes of that game that GU finally pulled away, and it was our 3 point shooting that did it. The Zags have been shooting pretty well from the outside lately. Even against USF the Zags had 7 three's. And we all know that it wasn't our shooting, or our defense that cost us that game. I think our offense and defense is cranked up and running smoothly. The job now is to stop turning the ball over, and like Mark Few said, especially the "bone head" mistakes. I totally believe that if the Zags are ahead by one point in the last minute that Rob Sacre should not be in offense, or if he is that he should not touch the ball. He's a huge liability.

Ahead by 1 point and you believe we should pull one of our best FT shooters and our Defensive STOPPER/SHOT BLOCKER? Who replaces him? Sam Dower?

Zag79
02-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Sacre has to play, and had we gone to him in the post more than once in the final ten minutes we would have won. I'm still surprised we didn't make a concerted effort to do this.

zagfan1970
02-21-2012, 10:40 AM

= ds

gu03alum
02-21-2012, 11:25 AM

= ds

This picture also = ds

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a3/Nintendo-DS-Fat-Blue.png/250px-Nintendo-DS-Fat-Blue.png

DixieZag
02-21-2012, 11:55 AM
While KP was not at his best, please keep in mind that it was the "phantom" foul at about the 10:00 minute mark in the first half that kept him out for the rest of the half - - we played reasonably well for the first 10 minutes.

Fouls in First half - USF 3!
GU 8!

jim77
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Sacre has to play, and had we gone to him in the post more than once in the final ten minutes we would have won. I'm still surprised we didn't make a concerted effort to do this.

The coach did try to do this.....the problem was we couldn't even run much of anything due to ball pressure. I'll say it again...any team that plays us in the future should be pressing us every chance they get...or until we burn them for doing it. The coaches will work it.

zagfan1970
02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Gray'sAnatomy;752424]can't see your pic

you picture posting reminds me of mark few's plan for press breaking = inivisible[/QUOTE
Strange! Not only do I see it, when I click on "attachment link, it pulls up the image as well. Try googling "deer in headlights" maybe this will be easier?

lothar98zag
02-21-2012, 12:25 PM
After GU's loss on Saturday I knew it would be bad to come onto this site w/in 4 days so I ran so far away. I just ran. I ran all night and day. I couldn't get away. Obviously I didn't try hard enough and here I am.

lothar98zag
02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
welcome to the jungle
jungle? don't you mean "flock"?

Reborn
02-21-2012, 12:53 PM
After GU's loss on Saturday I knew it would be bad to come onto this site w/in 4 days so I ran so far away. I just ran. I ran all night and day. I couldn't get away. Obviously I didn't try hard enough and here I am.

:lmao::lmao:

IrishZagFan
02-21-2012, 12:55 PM
jungle? don't you mean "flock"?

Flock of Seagulls? I think Welcome to the Jungle was Guns and Roses..... ;)

Oregonzagnut
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Please share, Oregonzagnut.

Ok Camarillo and ZagsgoZags:

But sometimes even I know when it is better not to speak my mind.

I see what you mean, and I agree. I have said the same thing for a couple years now but my answer or reasoning gets annoying to people. I don't blame them really. I am too intense, long winded and philosophical for the average person to tolerate. Especially when they mostly want to read one liners and light chat about Zag basketball.

So my one (two, maybe three) liners is this/these:

Mark Few trains elements of panic and "worry" out of the team (and himself) in favor of technique, micromanaging plays and match ups. Fact is though, 90% of the time his rigid analytical approach wins, it is the other 10% of the biggest heartfelt games where our players cannot maintain the mental intensity for a full 40 minutes because they haven't needed to have it. I think the obvious choice is clearly how Few is now, if that is the only choice. However, I believe we can have the best of both worlds. But all sense of urgency is sacrificed when panic is not felt. Panic can be helpful if it is urgent but not shutting people down and keeping them from functioning properly.

The only things Gonzaga has not achieved is a Final Four and a championship. So we need to be studying the teams most similar to us who have gotten there. So I use Butler as an example and that makes people think I want to be Butler! Jeez! I am just trying to find what we do not have and get better without selling out our core values and sacrificing the ethics of our program. I have heard right here at GUBoards that the odds we win a title are so low that we should just stop hoping for it and just be happy winning 25 games a year and hope we get "lucky". What good does it do for fans to think and critical when we have no control?"

We know the ultimate goal of the other WCC teams: Win a N.C and To beat Gonzaga.

But what is Gonzaga's ultimate goal? WHAT ARE WE REACHING FOR TO KEEP THE DRIVE AND PASSION IN OUR PROGRAM? Getting our guys to the NBA? The Streak? A Final Four? A National Championship? Few needs to define it publicly so everyone is on the same page. Why not? is it a secret? Is he camera shy? Is he too humble to bring in his loyal fans and risk seeing his emotion and feelings? Few needs to step up and speak out loudly! Get EVERY ZAG on the same page to follow, root for and support that goal. Then the drive and passion will be there until that goal is reached. Right now our program is stuck just trying NOT to lose the streak, when we should be trying to fix whatever it is that keeps us OUT of another elite 8. The streaks will just happen as a consequence, not as a goal. We had no urgency against UCLA. We had no urgency against USF. Will we have that urgency against BYU. BYU will that is for sure. They have a lot to prove in the WCC. We don't have much to prove at all anymore. we are the king of the hill but Mt Everest is waiting.

Just go read any scientific study on what factors lead people (and teams) to overachieve and you will see Few does the fundamental analytical half of it perfectly. The other half is the funneling of all the emotions into successful urgency that cannot be reached through skill, X's and O's and play execution. Few seems to not allow that emotion to happen at all. Especially in himself. But if it is accepted and properly funneled it becomes elite national championship winning hustle: pure, focussed and without thought of individual injury or gain. Right now we are trying to prevent injury to our streak and that does not win games in the same way that playing without anything to lose does.

Unfortunately, our program has more to lose than to achieve. That is our problem. In my long winded, annoying and ridiculously philosophical opinion.