PDA

View Full Version : D.R. gets 6 min.

Fantastic7
07-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Derek gets 6 min. in a 1 pt. loss to Utah. He had 3 points and was 1-2 from the foul line.

soonerterp
07-13-2007, 10:45 PM
1-2 from the stripe? Ooooh, sign of the Apocalypse.

Not a lot of minutes to make an impression on anybody.

But I'm led to a theory (oh crap there she goes again ... nutjob):

The Portland Trail Blazers re-signed Steve Blake, which means they could possibly move Jarrett Jack ... Atlanta is highly speculated to be a trading partner because the Blazers might also like to get a small forward. Jack winds up going to the ATL that closes a door to make the team not just for DR but also for Jarrius Jackson (Texas Tech, 2007). Mind you this is all speculative and I'm bored.

ZagMania
07-14-2007, 07:58 AM
He shot 1-2 from the field and had an assist and a rebound with 0 turnovers. Acie Law played pretty bad, and I think that the Hawks are planning on Law to be their starting PG for the regular season. I'm not sold on him, especially as a scorer so maybe soonerterp is right about them trading for a starting point. Law played 28 minutes at PG, and I think Derek played briefly at SG alongside him but saw most of his minutes when Law was out. I had the game on the radio and just tried to listen for when they put DR in.

Jarrius Jackson got a lot of minutes, 19, and didn't do too much with them with 4 points, 0 rebounds and assists. He was mostly playing SG though. Also, Earl Calloway saw 5:31 at the point and missed his only shot and had an assist.

I hope they'll be giving Derek more of a look in future games.

soonerterp
07-14-2007, 03:21 PM
He shot 1-2 from the field and had an assist and a rebound with 0 turnovers. Acie Law played pretty bad, and I think that the Hawks are planning on Law to be their starting PG for the regular season. I'm not sold on him, especially as a scorer so maybe soonerterp is right about them trading for a starting point. Law played 28 minutes at PG, and I think Derek played briefly at SG alongside him but saw most of his minutes when Law was out. I had the game on the radio and just tried to listen for when they put DR in.

Jarrius Jackson got a lot of minutes, 19, and didn't do too much with them with 4 points, 0 rebounds and assists. He was mostly playing SG though. Also, Earl Calloway saw 5:31 at the point and missed his only shot and had an assist.

I hope they'll be giving Derek more of a look in future games.

Good recap, thanks. My assumption is they're treating Raivio as third string guard, but from the box it looks like Jackson didn't do squat and Raivio wasn't all that horrible in six measly minutes.

These games are supposedly being taped to be broadcast next week on NBATV. There is a schedule at www.nba.com/hawks (click on RMR).

soonerterp
07-14-2007, 05:36 PM
I heard from a friend who listened to the game through the Internet via whatever station that is in Utah that carries Jazz games ... she said the homer announcers seemed to be under the impression that Raivio was actually some guy from Belgium who happened to play college ball at Gonzaga (which I guess is half-true since he happened to pop out of the womb while his folks were in Antwerp) and during the broadcast referred to him as "The Belgian Waffle."

She mentioned too that his whopping six or so minutes of play was in the third quarter of the game.

Apparently as I post this the Hawks are squaring off against the San Antonio Spurs. There is no box available yet and apparently no kind of Internet broadcast *anywhere.*

I assume the RMR isn't an "official" NBA Summer League this year? The NBA is giving wall to wall coverage to the camps in Orlando and Las Vegas, but not the RMR.

soonerterp
07-14-2007, 06:23 PM
This is Raivio's line from today's game versus the San Antonio Spurs:

15 minutes, 10 points (4-7 FG, 2-2 3PT), 3 REB (defensive), 3 AST, 1 foul, 2 TO, did not get to foul line.

Yeah yeah its summer league and the basketball generally sucks, but this is a great line for Raivio in the time he was out there -- except for the 2 turnovers.

The Hawks beat the Spurs 79-68 largely behind a monster performance from former Dookie and second-year Hawk Shelden Williams (23 points, 11 rebounds). Devin Green also scored in double digits (12) for the Hawks.

Hawks' RMR site, including rebroadcast info on NBATV and other crap (http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/RMR_2007_index.html).

FuManShoes
07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I'll admit I've been a doubter, but when Derek puts on a performance like this against NBA-caliber talent when he's got his dream on the line, it speaks much to his dedication and drive. Keep it up DRav!

http://www.nba.com/jazz/Revue/2007_RMR_Game_Recap_Day_2_Game_1.html

ZagMania
07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Awesome!!

I didn't listen to this game because the last one was so disheartening not seeing him get in the first half, and yes I head the announcers say he was the Belgium Waffle on the radio too.

Great box score for Derek, the added minutes seem like they came from Earl Calloway. Hopefully they have decided to give Derek his playing time to give him a serious look. If not I wouldn't be surprised to see Calloway get those minutes next game and have DR sit.

Jarrius Jackson again did little in 16+ minutes.

MiamiZags
07-14-2007, 08:08 PM
hahaha belgian waffle

SALT LAKE CITY (July 14) –
....Midway through the third quarter, San Antonio had managed only six points and ended period three down 58-46. Atlanta’s Derek Raivio connected on two from long range in the quarter and handed out three assists. ....

The Spurs never got closer than ten points before the final score ended 79-68. Atlanta rode the back of Williams for the win. Williams had the game’s only double-double, 23 points and 11 rebounds. He shot 10-for-12 from the field. Devin Green put in 12 points for the Hawks and Raivio finished with ten. Raivio made the only three-pointers of the game. Law had nine points and five assists and Horford put in nine points and grabbed nine rebounds.

soonerterp
07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
[I deleted this post.]

soonerterp
07-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Not so much burn tonight for DR against the Mav's SL team:

Five minutes, 2 points (on 1-3 shooting), no 3s, 1 foul and nothing else.

Jarrius Jackson still didn't do anything (didn't score, maybe had a rebound or two, in almost 8 minutes) ... and I poked around some other Hawks boards (like at basketballforum.com) and a poster there seems to think Jackson is more likely to be invited to training camp because the Hawks don't apparently have a viable SG backup for Joe Johnson.

Un-freakin'-real! With attitudes like that, Raivio OUGHT to go to Europe and then stick his tongue out at the NBA and say "you had your chance to look at me."

And I'm not deliberately trying to knock Jackson, who was a great player at Texas Tech. I'm comparing Raivio and Jackson because they were the two undrafted rookie free agents that Atlanta (which admittedly is a joke of an organization) invited to Summer League. Jackson and Raivio are vying for a chance to go to training camp this fall. It will be more apparent when the games are actually shown on NBATV (starting Wednesday), but right now I'd say the undrafted rookie FA that deserves the training camp invite is Raivio, hands down.

DavyZag
07-17-2007, 07:29 AM
but right now I'd say the undrafted rookie FA that deserves the training camp invite is Raivio, hands down.

No doubt about it! But since when does an NBA team give a chance to a scrawny, short white kid when there is a super-athletic, taller, stronger BCS guy available as well?

I wish D-Rav the best, but I would really be surprised if he got a fair chance at making an NBA roster, sadly. :(

gamagin
07-17-2007, 07:54 AM
davy said . . <<I wish D-Rav the best, but I would really be surprised if he got a fair chance at making an NBA roster, sadly.>>

I would say he is getting that chance right now. and he's doing pretty well with the opportunity.

It's more than many of us expected/guessed he'd get.

So I am happy for him. There's no question he has a lightning quick release and incredible accuracy.

"Maybe" someone watching will consider this when looking for not just another point guard, but an opportunity to catch up at some point along the way in a game of the future, or to try and change the tempo of a game, or to take the pressure off the star during a cold spell, and see that this kid DR just might fit in that niche.

And sign him up.

That's what tryouts are for.

DavyZag
07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Nah... this isn't really a "fair" chance. I suppose it's better than nothing, but if you look down the rosters for all the teams at the summer leagues, you'll find yourself saying "who" and "um..." and "how do you pronounce that?" a whole lot.

I mean... the Washington Generals are on the same floor as the Globetrotters, but do they really have a fair chance?

By "fair" chance I mean an invitation to camp and a chance to actually compete for a spot against another player instead of simply playing the foil for draft picks, which (right or wrong) is how most undrafted free agents are treated.

But hey - he's taking his opportunity and running with it, so you've got to cheer for him.

ZagMania
07-17-2007, 09:25 AM
No doubt about it! But since when does an NBA team give a chance to a scrawny, short white kid when there is a super-athletic, taller, stronger BCS guy available as well?

I know what you mean there, but Jarrius Jackson is actually smaller than Raivio which just makes it all the more absurd.

lothar98zag
07-17-2007, 09:34 AM
...But since when does an NBA team give a chance to a scrawny, short white kid...
Well, Dickau started his NBA career in Atlanta, so it's happened at least once...

23dpg
07-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Things the NBA cares about:

Scrawny, yes
Short, yes
White, no

Let's bring this conversation back to reality. I am pulliing for Drav a ton. But I think he might have a better chance after playing abroad for a while. He needs to learn how to be more of a PG and less of a SG.

ZagMania
07-17-2007, 06:34 PM
DR got 6 1/2 minutes today with 1 assist and no shot attempts or turnovers. As I thought Earl Calloway got his game where he got more minutes like DRs 14+ minute game. Calloway had 4 points, an assist, a turnover, and 3 fouls.

Jarrius Jackson saw his minutes drop to just 5 this game and shot 1-for-5.

Two more games left, it will be interesting to see if he gets another game with extended minutes.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/RMR_2007_index.html

Zag79
07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
But since when does an NBA team give a chance to a scrawny, short white kid when there is a super-athletic, taller, stronger BCS guy available as well

dr is the bigger of the two, but i agree with the rest of your statement.

Scrawny, yes
Short, yes
White, no

Let's bring this conversation back to reality. I am pulliing for Drav a ton. But I think he might have a better chance after playing abroad for a while. He needs to learn how to be more of a PG and less of a SG.

i see more scrawny, short black guys in the league that are not even as good as dan that get more chances than hes had. the nba has a look they are going for, and some folks just dont fit it. i dont know why we cant just find a happy medium and not label it racist. i know many people would agree with me but might be afraid to say so because of the backlash. but thats how i feel. there is a great article in SLAM magazine this month about this topic. good piece too. talks about how blacks in hoops are looked at as being better than a white guy automatically and society seems ok with it, but if you labeled all white accountants "better" than their black counterparts your racist. anyway, good read if you have it. but back to DR. his natural position is PG, so im not sure i follow you on the PG/SG comment.

soonerterp
07-17-2007, 11:12 PM
DR got 6 1/2 minutes today with 1 assist and no shot attempts or turnovers. As I thought Earl Calloway got his game where he got more minutes like DRs 14+ minute game. Calloway had 4 points, an assist, a turnover, and 3 fouls.

Jarrius Jackson saw his minutes drop to just 5 this game and shot 1-for-5.

Two more games left, it will be interesting to see if he gets another game with extended minutes.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/RMR_2007_index.html

Thanks for posting that. I just got home (really).

I would not rule out either that Atlanta's SL coach might also be taking matchups into consideration ... maybe something about DRav's game translated better to a matchup vs. the Spurs, in which he played 15 minutes. Either way except for tonight he has been generally promising in limited minutes.

There is also to consider that many GMs and scouts watch these summer leagues. If Atlanta doesn't happen to ask Raivio back to training camp, someone else might, but that's an unknown.

At the end of the day I think he hones his game in Europe.

Oh BTW those of you with NBATV can start WATCHING the games Wednesday. The game v. San Antonio is at 12 noon Central Time Thursday (and again at 1 a.m. Central Time Friday morning). The game v. Utah is at 7 p.m. Central Time Wednesday (adjust your time zone accordingly, but that's what my cable box tells me).

23dpg
07-18-2007, 05:09 AM

The scrawny, short and white descriptions weren't mine, I just used them to make a point.

About the black person being looked at as the better BB player, I think you are right. Because generally speaking, black players are more athletic than white players. But the GMs of the teams only have one goal, to win. After all the practices and games, the proof is in the pudding. Will this player help the team win games?

Again, I am not a Drav basher. I hope he does make the team. I think he is a long shot though. And I do think his play is more like a SG than a PG. I don't think he is a very good distributor at this point. That's why I think he might have to go overseas to develope that trait.

Just my opinion, but I think its shared by many GMs.

sittingon50
07-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Please, let's not go down THAT road!!:(

deathchina
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
"i see more scrawny, short black guys in the league that are not even as good as dan that get more chances than hes had. the nba has a look they are going for, and some folks just dont fit it."

Dan has gotten more than his fair share of "looks".

lothar98zag
07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
How many times can this topic come up?

:horse:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/buttons/threadclosed.gif

Want to talk about DR's next summer game, please start a new thread.

Want to "discuss" race & the NBA, please post about it in the General Basketball Forum:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4