PDA

View Full Version : Did Josh intimidate Tyler Hansbrough?

Zags-Bsee
07-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Next game it could have been the other way around, but in the thread about the "Will WCC be intimidated?" it seems nobody wants to believe it happens in D1 BB.

I believe Josh intimidated Tyler. I think Tyler entered the Twilight Zone where all he knew vanished for that game.

I believe Josh was intimidated in some games last year, maybe unmotivated, or lost his groove, but I think sometimes he gets put into a position that puts Josh in the twilight zone of the game intimidating him.

Watching Matt post up a player, he looks like he loves it. I think Derek or Jeremy would not feel the same way. I think they might be intimidated posting up.

Intimidation, it happens. When the other player looks lost or the game statistics show they lost it, I think they are intimidated. A good double team should intimidate most players. I hope we double team WCC opponents like crazy all game and go past intimidation to worn out concession.

Does anyone else feel like if we played defense like that the past 3-4 years and happened to be shooting hot, we might have made the final 4.

I hope every Gonzaga player defensively intimidates. :)

Who was that WCC guy with NBA defensive ability that maybe intimidated Adam at least a little. Or some Errol Knight intimidation team wide. Even if it is just backing off and watching them fall on their rear ends. That has to be intimidating.

JLGutrocks
07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
That Erroll "pull-out -the-chair" move was my favorite of all time. Made the other guy just look plain fumblin stupid.

:D

TheZagPhish
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
That Erroll "pull-out -the-chair" move was my favorite of all time. Made the other guy just look plain fumblin stupid.

That move was an artistic flourish that was pure beauty! Pargo pulled that one out once or twice last season, too. Knight was very clever player. Not everyone can execute that one. Some subtle stuff going on there.

SLOZag
07-13-2007, 01:20 PM
"Inside the College Game: NCAA Top Returnees" from NBADraft.net:
"Let’s talk about who the best returnees in the nation are, from a position-by-position perspective. ... Point Guard ... Honorable Mention: ... Jeremy Pargo, Gonzaga ... Center: 1. Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina Hansbrough is the best player in the nation. He’s the frontrunner for any award he can win and a large reason that North Carolina is being seen as one of the top few teams in the country. Hansbrough’s a warrior, above all else. He battles in the paint with intensity and strength unmatched by any of his peers. And while his height, length and athleticism may lead to him never becoming much of an NBA player, he represents much of what is right in college basketball today. Expect another big season out of the big man.... 5. Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga Jr. - Returning from suspension, Heytvelt should pick up right where he left off - scoring in a variety of ways from the post."

http://nbadraft.net/joseph017.asp

Seems others are comparing the two favorably as well (Josh at center, no less). Congrats to both Jeremy and Josh on the nod of the head from NBADraft.net.

SteeleMan
07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
has JH been officially reinstated to the team by Few?

Zags-Bsee
07-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Great info and link, thanks!

Center: 1. Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina Hansbrough is the best player in the nation. He’s the frontrunner for any award he can win and a large reason that North Carolina is being seen as one of the top few teams in the country. Hansbrough’s a warrior, above all else. He battles in the paint with intensity and strength unmatched by any of his peers.

Height: 6-9
Weight: 245 lbs. Position: Forward
Class: Sophomore
PPG 18.4 | APG 1.2 | RPG 7.9

Hmmmm......

Somehow in my mind, I don't think Tyler will be significantly better this year, but there is a real chance that Josh will be.

1. Intensity - I think he is an emotional player, if he is playing well he has great intensity. I think this year he will play well more often. I think Coach Few should have some great dunk plays for when he needs a shot of adreneline.

2. Consistency - I believe the extra weight and experience with make him seem even more like a men amongst boys.

3. Position - Playing a 3 or a 4 with a worthy center in place would really show case Josh's unique talents. I say turn him loose on the 3 points shot as long as he averages 40%. It will wreck havoc on opposing teams.

4. Overall Team Strenghth - It will be hard to double Josh. Jeremy, Micah's and Matt's improved game will open things up even more for Josh.

5. Defense - Tyler had .4 blocks a game. Josh will probably shut down most people he gaurds and be a great team defender.

As good as Josh will be, there will be many other options available to Few if Josh doesn't bring it. And for Josh's sake, I hope he and Few see eye to eye about this before the season starts.

I hope someone cuts and past the quote about Tyler on Josh's locker.

Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina Hansbrough is the best player in the nation. Hansbrough’s a warrior, above all else. He battles in the paint with intensity and strength unmatched by any of his peers.

Drive to the hoop and throw the ball to Josh about 15 times a game and I think we will have a new "best player in the nation". I think he finishes very well around the basket. Defensively, Josh has proven he can make the best player in the nation look intimidated.

DavyZag
07-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Zags-Bsee, I like the way you think! I agree that the sky is the limit for Josh H... he proved what he could do last year. Now he just has to put together a complete season and all the doubters will see how he can DOMINATE.

As for Hansbrough, though... I love the way the kid plays and I think he's a total gamer. Hard-nosed, aggressive, take-no-prisoners attitude... I agree that Heytvelt put him in his pocket during the GU-UNC game, but I'm not so sure that Hansbrough was intimidated per se. I think he was just outplayed. But not intimidated... I don't think anyone can intimidate that guy.

sonuvazag
07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Hansbrough was surprised. I feel safe saying that.

Zags-Bsee
07-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree that Heytvelt put him in his pocket during the GU-UNC game, but I'm not so sure that Hansbrough was intimidated per se. I think he was just outplayed. But not intimidated... I don't think anyone can intimidate that guy.

I think that is true now, but in that game I watched Tyler disappear. Sometimes that just happens. If Josh didn't have that early great block, I think it could have been different. As the season progressed I think Tyler realized you can play thru those things and he did.

Another example is Sean Mallon. I think he was often intimidated if he got his shot blocked a couple of times in the beginning. If we played teams with great shot blockers, he would realize it wasn't going to be a good night. Late last season, I think he started to realize he had a pretty good ability to dribble and drive in some of those situations and was often effective doing that.

I wonder if Josh could have finished out the season if he would have developed the confidence that Tyler now has to push thru temporay setbacks. Josh seems like an extremely emotional player that needs confidence.

I hope Jeremy and Matt learn how to restore that quickly in a game. A few drive and dishes that end with dunks for Josh should get the job done.

Part of the problem with Josh seems to be he like to shoot from the outside, but it is hard to dominate that way, like a good post player can. I hope we have some good go to plays for Josh that the point gaurds use in timely fashion.

Josh will always get a lot of points with garbage around the basket and a very good outside shot. I am most concerned with shots of confidence. Someone like Stockton, Magic or Nash would see Josh as assist heaven, especially about 5 feet from the basket. :) Get him going and watch Josh rebound and blocks shots in a way Tyler can only dream about.

Law Zag In Training
07-13-2007, 05:48 PM
No. Surprisingly strong team defense held TH back. Few, like usual, game planned around swarming the post and making the other team beat GU from the outside. It's the opposite of M. Few's offensive strategy.

Offense: Give up the good/decent shot (3-pt or Open jumper) for the great shot (dunk/lay-up/close up shot).

Defense: Try to take away the great shot (low post/dunks/layups) at the expense of giving up a decent shot (jumper/3pt)

MickMick
07-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Hansborough's national reknown is largely a product of the press. He plays well. He plays hard. But more important, he plays for the highest regarded basketball school on the Eastern seaboard.

His game will not translate well to the pros. He probably was not intimidated by Josh. He certainly will be intimidated (for awhile) by the likes of Howard, Duncan, or Boozer.

Zags-Bsee
07-13-2007, 06:41 PM
He probably was not intimidated by Josh

Shooting 2 for 5 shots when you team is losing, is total intimidation to me when you are a go to player. The fewest attempts the whole season. I am sure other teams swarmed the post as well, but I think Josh's block set the tone. I can happily concede both were a factor.

Josh was 8 for 13.

MickMick
07-13-2007, 06:56 PM
He probably was not intimidated by Josh

Shooting 2 for 5 shots when you team is losing, is total intimidation to me when you are a go to player. The fewest attempts the whole season. I am sure other teams swarmed the post as well, but I think Josh's block set the tone. I can happily concede both were a factor.

Josh was 8 for 13.

Perhaps I don't care for the word "intimidated."

Did Tyler get outplayed by Josh?
yes

Did Tyler give up?
I don't think so. He looked like he never stopped trying to me.

That game for UNC was a nightmare for Roy Williams. He was trying to sort through about fourteen 4-5 star recruits, trying to find the right combinations for future conference play. He had several freshman on the floor at a time and they looked like they were simply not ready for the Divison One tempo.

Brandon Wright played very well and probably took some of the posessions that Hansborough was accustomed to getting the year before. In all, the Tar Heels looked "out of sync".

They didn't look at all like the team that took the floor in March. In reality, the Zags caught a freshman laden team early in the season.

Zags-Bsee
07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Perhaps I don't care for the word "intimidated."

I can understand that. Seems too negative.

I do believe some players sense it just isn't their night vs. feeling it.

The big momentum. Some times you are hot, sometimes not.

I think Josh is going to be a cooling influence on opposing big men and their teams this year. When Adam was gaurded by a great defender, he seemed to feel the difference.

In short, virtually any other college basketball player would be better then having Josh defend you. What is the nice word for that.

Zag79
07-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Surprisingly strong team defense held TH back.
:lmao: sorry my man, but rewatch the tape. Josh ate tyler up in all categories. he took TH out of the game early and often. cant wait to see this guy on the floor this season.