PDA

View Full Version : The end of Football

gu03alum
02-12-2012, 10:07 AM
What would the end of football look like? (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football)

This article talks about how the end of football could be caused by the concussion issue. If I had a son I would be very hesitant to let him play football now. I would probably want him to stay away from hockey too.

asoc
02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Rugby?

You learn to hit properly because you don't have all that protection.
The helmet and all the padding just leads to players hitting harder and harder and not always with the best form.

Plus I like watching Rugby 7s. Not so much 11s... I wonder what the Rugby purists think...
--------------------

I think the article goes down hill pretty fast though.

Outside of sports, American human capital and productivity probably rise. No football Saturdays on college campuses means less binge drinking, more studying, better grades, smarter future adults. Losing thousands of college players and hundreds of pro players might produce a few more doctors or engineers. Plus, talented coaches and general managers would gravitate toward management positions in American industry. Heck, just getting rid of fantasy football probably saves American companies hundreds of millions of dollars annually.
Yeah, College students only party because of football? How many College football players go on to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc because of the scholarship they received from playing the sport? With football gone where would they go? Just because a player was able to be good at one sport does not mean they would be equivalently good at another. And what about the argument about getting more productivity out of employees if you don't push them so hard, give them an outlet? There are studies coming out that say that non work related internet activity can actually boost work productivity. Its about giving employees brains a rest every now which boosts the quality of their work.

One of the biggest winners would be basketball. To the extent that fans replace football with another sport (instead of meth or oxy), high-octane basketball is the natural substitute. On the pro level, the season can stretch out leisurely, ticket prices rise, ratings rise, maybe the league expands (more great athletes in the pool now), and some of the centers and power forwards will have more bulk. At the college level, March Madness becomes the only game in town.
Why basketball? Basketball can be more limiting based on your size than football. At least with football you can bulk up. You can't grow taller. There will not be a huge influx of pro talent to basketball. There might be more competition for the guard positions I guess.

I would think a sport that is more closely related to gain more. Rugby is on the rise in popularity from my understanding. In the time it would take Football to fall, I could see Rugby seen as an alternative to football. It even costs less to play. You need less equipment.

Soccer is on a steady rise within the US. MLS's average attendance is going up every year and nearly every team has their own stadium. The Sounders will average 40k+ a game for their regular season matches this year. That is 17 home games with 40K plus a game. They already out drew the Seahawks. Now they will start to open that gap in total attendance. What happens when the Sounders start doing better on tv? Sounders likely bring in more money to the businesses around C-Link than the Seahawks do over the course of a year. This success could happen elsewhere as well given time. LA has two MLS teams yet no NFL team. In 20-30 years, with the steady rise of Soccer and MLS in the US how successful will those two teams be?

To jump back in the article a bit. They talk about insurance. I know Soccer refs are insured against this type of stuff. I would assume football refs are too. I am talking about the guys reffing your kids games. They are insured against suits. I would assume Colleges and Pro teams already pay a hefty amount for their insurance. It isn't like insurance companies aren't paying attention to this stuff already. A question to ask is, could an insurance agency raise rates for a family who's kids play football? That could effect whether parents let their kids play.

Zag 77
02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
3 simple solutions:

1.) Play on dirt and grass. Your noggin won't get hurt as much if you hit mud instead of carpet.

2.) Take off the facemasks. You won't feel like hitting with your head after some broken noses and chipped teeth. Broken noses and teeth are easier to fix than brains.

3.) Go back to single platoon football. Guys won't be able to play at 280 pounds and hit as hard if they have to play both ways for a whole game.

Red Grange was 6 feet and weighed 180 pounds and he did just fine under those conditions.