PDA

View Full Version : Drew Viney

U Zig, I Zag
02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Thoughts?

Personally, I love that type of player. He has a carefree way of playing, looks like he is toying with people at times. He made us look like fools a few times with fake passes and then a shot at the rim. He is really a heady player, IMHO.

If he tried 110% he would be (and maybe he is) a NBA-worthy player. He seems like a Klay Thompson type but without the emotional fire/drive.

Do the Zags have anyone in the pipeline that is that type of player? Amedeo Della Valle has some height, but from clips he seems more like a frantic Rubio-type player: all elbows and flopping hair*

*these are good things, seems like a great player

BobZag
02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
One of the softest shooting touches I've seen.

JPtheBeasta
02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
He quietly had, like, a thousand points last night. If LMU were winning more, I think he and Ireland would be much better know players nationally (the injury probably didn't help Viney, either).

It would be nice to have a non-post player that can create a shot on isolation plays closer to the hoop a la Viney and Zags like Bouldin, Pargo, and of course, Ammo. I haven't seen anything out of Della Valle in the small sampling I have seen to suggest he has that in his game.

As to Thompson, he is a good player but his pedigree didn't hurt. I also agree about the fire he has, and that must help get you noticed at least a little bit over a laid back kind of player.

MickMick
02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Talented scorer.

I though Ireland was even more impressive.

bballbeachbum
02-12-2012, 10:24 AM
agree with all above re. Viney. seems to play the game at his speed. smooth player

Zag@LMU
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I told my friend were a Drew Viney type scorer from being an elite eight/ final four team this year.

I don't agree on AI though. He has good individual skills but is one of the most selfish and undisciplined point guards I had seen.

Knotsolucky
02-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I agree with all the above as well. He's been a joy to watch grow over the years. Even though he red-shirted it doesn't seem like he should be a senior yet. It's to bad he missed so many early games this year due to injury. He would've made a difference in LMU's season.

I hope he can find a spot in the NBA...

WallaWallaZag
02-12-2012, 04:26 PM
if he had the fire he has the talent and skill to be a morrison type of player...

CDC84
02-12-2012, 04:43 PM
As Richard Fox said last night, he has too much of a tendency to disappear in games for a player w/ his kind of ability.

btzag
02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Would have been a real nice team with Kevin Young...

adoptedzag
02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I told my friend were a Drew Viney type scorer from being an elite eight/ final four team this year.

That was supposed to be Kyle W. :) That's why losing that recruit stung so much for me, personally.

Vanzagger
02-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Would have been a real nice team with Kevin Young...

was that the kid who went to Kansas? Scary good.

btzag
02-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Yep coming off the bench for them. I was thinking of the LMU game and saw him in a KU highlight. Too bad for the WCC the he, Ireland and Viney could not collectively see their talent and want to make a serious run.

tobizag
02-12-2012, 07:49 PM

he's at kentucky, not kansas.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56355/kyle-wiltjer

adoptedzag
02-12-2012, 07:57 PM
talking about two different kids here, one from KU and one from UK, one that was almost LMU and one that was almost GU

VanillaGorilla
02-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Kevin Young is at kansas

U Zig, I Zag
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Just rewatched the LMU game again. I double-up on what I said. He toys with people. Completely calm, very good touch, total control.

Drew, go bezerk, you could own this Conf if you wanted.

tobizag
02-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Kevin Young is at kansas

it's late...apologies!

haha.

titopoet
02-13-2012, 07:06 AM
I just hopes he goes off for a career game on Wednesday. A double-double while holding Jones scoreless. That would nice. And of course leading LMU to an upset win.

DixieZag
02-13-2012, 07:30 AM
I think they both possess that ability to create and shoot outside of a set offense that the NBA looks for. Of all the seniors in the WCC, Viney might be the most likely to succeed in the NBA b/c of his shot - he would get pushed around a lot, and if Ammo couldn't play enough D then I would think Viney would have the same problem.

Ireland is really undersized, but really skilled and fast, I don't know if his shot is good enough (or his defense) but he looks like he has the skills to play an NBA type of game also. I hate playing them, b/c either one of them can score 40 on someone if everthing came together.

Maybe Wed. Maybe b/c we caught them in a bad game and while we were playing our best - and put some separation between us, SMC will let their guard down a little. . . maybe.

ZagNut08
02-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Wanted him out of HS, wanted him after he transfered. Big fan of his game, I would love to have a player like him on our team, esp this year.

EngineerZag
02-13-2012, 08:23 AM
I love watching Viney, he's very entertaining.

Isn't he a senior this year? Too bad.

Baldwinzag
02-13-2012, 08:29 AM
So smooth, so natural.

If there were ever such thing as "West Coast" style of play, Drew Viney would be the poster child.

Love his style.

If he worked on his body & motor just a bit more, he has an NBA feel to his game.

Angelo Roncalli
02-13-2012, 08:32 AM
So smooth, so natural.

If there were ever such thing as "West Coast" style of play, Drew Viney would be the poster child.

Love his style.

If he worked on his body & motor just a bit more, he has an NBA feel to his game.

He reminds me a little bit of Doug Christie from Pepperdine.