• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Jan 2012

Cheap Shots?

Glad to see a positive mood on the board again. I thought the zags played their best game of the year last night. St. Mary's looked flustered and it looked like they threw a couple of cheap hard fouls specifically at Pangos. Am I just imagining things or did those look uncalled for to anyone else? Specifically the attempted mugging, I mean steal, by Waldo and then the Karate elbow thrown in the post a few minutes later. I was happy the zags only retaliated with a win, but those appeared to be cheap shots to me.

Also...What with Randy Bennett's post game hand-shake/shove of Mark Few? Has he been getting coaching tips from Jim Harbaugh or what? I get that he just lost a big game, but come on! Show some respect.
  • Coach Crazy
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Zag View Post
    Glad to see a positive mood on the board again. I thought the zags played their best game of the year last night. St. Mary's looked flustered and it looked like they threw a couple of cheap hard fouls specifically at Pangos. Am I just imagining things or did those look uncalled for to anyone else? Specifically the attempted mugging, I mean steal, by Waldo and then the Karate elbow thrown in the post a few minutes later. I was happy the zags only retaliated with a win, but those appeared to be cheap shots to me.

Also...What with Randy Bennett's post game hand-shake/shove of Mark Few? Has he been getting coaching tips from Jim Harbaugh or what? I get that he just lost a big game, but come on! Show some respect.
    You weren't imagining anything, St Marys was trying to rattle KP. Better he experiences this kinda stuff now, so that in the future it is just par for the course.

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Didn't see that. Care to describe what happened with a little more detail?

Did either guy look PO'ed?

Comment

• Baldwinzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Pangos just rolled with the punches all night...quite literally and figuratively.
        “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I was surprised that Waldo didn't get a flagrant foul.
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Zag
            Bulldog Fan
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
            Didn't see that. Care to describe what happened with a little more detail?

Did either guy look PO'ed?
            I watched it twice because I wasn't sure what I saw the first time. After almost every game(win or lose)Few shakes hands and says a few parting words to the other coach. Even at BYU where the zags lost by 10 the coaches traded a couple of words politely. If I recall they did the same thing in Moroga, but I could be wrong on that because it has been a while.

Last night Few was about to say something when Bennett basically just kept walking and pretty much bumped Few's shoulder. In my opinion Few appeared taken back, but just kept his composure. It looked like a snub to me, but what do I know. They didn't show Bennett's face on TV because he walked by that fast. It looked weird and awkward. Not normal Few post game handshake.

Comment

• bartruff1
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

I watched it twice because I wasn't sure what I saw the first time. After almost every game(win or lose)Few shakes hands and says a few parting words to the other coach. Even at BYU where the zags lost by 10 the coaches traded a couple of words politely. If I recall they did the same thing in Moroga, but I could be wrong on that because it has been a while.

Last night Few was about to say something when Bennett basically just kept walking and pretty much bumped Few's shoulder. In my opinion Few appeared taken back, but just kept his composure. It looked like a snub to me, but what do I know. They didn't show Bennett's face on TV because he walked by that fast. It looked weird and awkward. Not normal Few post game handshake.
              That's what I saw...disappointing at best... in fairness, his post game comments were gracious... I am so proud of Few, we are so lucky to have him as the face/soul of the program and really, the University ..

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

1. Waldo nailed KP but from my vantage point he was going after a 50/50 ball & his 75 lb. advantage won.

2. Bennett always blows thru the postgame handshake line, win or lose. He was very friendly with Few in the pregame handshake.
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• mgadfly
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

It looked odd to me too so I watched it twice last night. On the second viewing it looked more like he shook his hand and kind of gave him a pat on the shoulder at the same time. It looked more friendly than I first thought. But it was pretty clear he didn't want to talk.

Comment

• bartruff1
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mgadfly View Post
                    It looked odd to me too so I watched it twice last night. On the second viewing it looked more like he shook his hand and kind of gave him a pat on the shoulder at the same time. It looked more friendly than I first thought. But it was pretty clear he didn't want to talk.
                    Thanks...I am glad to hear that...

Comment

• Booster
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Feb 2010

I was surprised the refs didn't go to the monitor to view the elbow by Young to the throat of Pangos. The foul was called, Bennett removed young from the game, and according to NCAA rules, any elbow above the shoulder is an automatic 2 shots and the ball. We were only up by 7 or 8 at the time and that could have fueled an even stronger run. The refs missed that one. Welcome to the WCC.

Comment

• Bulldoggie
                        Redshirt
                        • Feb 2007

Did anyone notice that at the beginning of the game when the team came out for the opening tip the players did not shake hands ?

Also the gentleman who sang the National Anthem was terrific. He really fired up the crowd.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

It's the jersey tugging that bugs me, but to our guys' credit they played through it.
                          Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• john montana
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

I had 0 issue with the Waldow play...he went for the ball.

The Young play should have been a flagrant by definition though. Do i think young tried to hurt pangos? No, but the rules are clear, and the elbow (and follow through) were clear. Should have been 2 shots and the ball. Kudos to bennett for taking young out since he was obviously frustrated, etc.

I don't think SMC is dirty, but i get tired of the jersey grabs and delly's constant pushing, shoving, etc. he hit a three late in the game after shoving our guy behind the screener.
                            john montana
                            http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Zag79
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I've always thought SMC plays hard, but sometimes a little cheap. The guy that sends me is Mitchell Young. This kid is always pulling someone to the ground, throwing an elbow, hacking with force, etc. I'm fine with tough, physical, aggressive hoops but he always seems a bit excessive. His elbow to KP was a flagrant, no way around it. Above the shoulders, and it wasn't any type of basketball move. The Waldow "tackle" was just a big dude going for the ball, but he definitely ran thru KP on the attempt. Im glad we could match the toughness and stay focused, time to keep it going and hit march in stride.

Comment

Working...
                              X