PDA

View Full Version : What would be your preference tonight?

Dirt McGirt
02-09-2012, 08:34 AM
A) The Zags are up by 1 point with 15 seconds to go and the Gaels have the ball at half court.

or

B) The Gaels are up by 1 point with 15 seconds to go and the Zags are bringing the ball across half court.

rennis
02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
C) Zags are up 8 with 15 seconds to go.

sittingon50
02-09-2012, 08:44 AM
D. Dirt making the half court promotional shot for biiiiiiiiiiig money.

Dirt McGirt
02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Mods?

webspinnre
02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
A) The Zags are up by 1 point with 15 seconds to go and the Gaels have the ball at half court.

or

B) The Gaels are up by 1 point with 15 seconds to go and the Zags are bringing the ball across half court.

From a strictly statistical standpoint, I'll take A. Even SMC's best shooters are going to be under 50%, and probably a decent amount under. Plus, I trust our defense to make a stop more than I trust our offense to make a shot. The downside is that SMC does have a couple potential 'money' shooters.

gamagin
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I want the ball and to try and control the outcome. Every time.

coolhandzag
02-09-2012, 09:20 AM

or

B. With the Caveat that 15 seconds is a lot of time in the end of a ball game, and alot can happen.

St. Mary's is good, especially on the offensive end of the court. The Zags have been inconsistent for many reasons. Holt and Waldow show real potential, but Dell is in the one that makes it go. This will be the most hostile environment the Gaels have faced all year.

Lets see what happens.

former1dog
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
From a strictly statistical standpoint, I'll take A. Even SMC's best shooters are going to be under 50%, and probably a decent amount under. Plus, I trust our defense to make a stop more than I trust our offense to make a shot. The downside is that SMC does have a couple potential 'money' shooters.

I'm with Web on this one.

rijman
02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
SMC's runner in the lane to end the game last year still haunts me. Watching delly make one of his behind the back, under his leg, Globetrotter circus buckets to win on the final shot would be devastating. Given the 2 options I'm with gamagin, I want the Zags to have the ball at the end with their fate in their own hands.

cjm720
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Tough question. I'd say A, particularly at home.

scott257
02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
I would never want St. Mary's to have the chance to score the game winning basket during the final seconds....especially not in our house. Can you imagine having to see that over and over in the replays that would follow on ESPN?

CanadianZagFan
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
I would rather go with option A. The team is up and can win with a stop, teams will usually look to shoot with enough time on the clock for an offensive rebound opportunity should the shot miss. If they do score, the Zags should have time to draw up a play and take the W back!

Zag@LMU
02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
A, no question

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
A

Zags could then foul right away... Even if both shots are made then destiny is in Zag hands.

BobZag
02-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Mods?

I was going to nominate my friend MountJoy7 for that halfcourt shot, fresh from his restful vacation in Mexico. :)

RenoZag
02-09-2012, 09:59 AM

or

It just doesn't matter

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Zags on D.

NotoriousZ
02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Option C.

Zags up HUGE with a minute to go. Fans chanting, "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!"

See you in Vegas, Dirt.

former1dog
02-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Option C.

Zags up HUGE with a minute to go. Fans chanting, "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye!"

See you in Vegas, Dirt.

For the love of Pete, I hope the don't used the awesomely stupid chant of "over-rated" in that particular scenario.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I'll take Sophie's Choice.

NotoriousZ
02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
For the love of Pete, I hope the don't used the awesomely stupid chant of "over-rated" in that particular scenario.

Let's hope not.

titopoet
02-09-2012, 10:36 AM

or

B Since Delly, Jones and Holt having Fouled out.

Dirt McGirt
02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Option C.

See you in Vegas, Dirt.

Sorry. Option C is with the game tied and 1 minute to go, Mark Few and Randy Bennett decide to call the game a draw and then perform a duet of Rhianna's "Umbrella" at half court. While they are performing, the student section is seen behind them "raising the roof."

DixieZag
02-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Sorry. Option C is with the game tied and 1 minute to go, Mark Few and Randy Bennett decide to call the game a draw and then perform a duet of Rhianna's "Umbrella" at half court. While they are performing, the student section is seen behind them "raising the roof."

This might be more likely than the Zags hitting a game winning shot. . . the last time they did that, the game winning shot was to tie - against SMC.

Though, up by one and having to score before the shot clock ran out, Pangos made a beautiful pass to Harris at LMU.

DixieZag
02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
What would you rather have Dirt? You know your team better than we do.

GoZags
02-09-2012, 11:15 AM

You mean just rush the court without doing the "over-rated" chant first? Where's the fun in that?

You probably don't want the student section to mug with their "Beat St. Mary's" shirts either. Bah Humbug.

awberke
02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
A

Zags could then foul right away... Even if both shots are made then destiny is in Zag hands.

You would foul up by 1 with 15 seconds left??? That would be enough for coach few to send the player back to their home country never to return.

Dirt McGirt
02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
What would you rather have Dirt? You know your team better than we do.

As a fan, I'd rather have SMC taking the last shot down by one. This year, the half court offense has evolved enough that I'm sure we would get a good look. If I was a coach, I think I go the other way and hope the defense makes you shoot the toughest shot possible.

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
You would foul up by 1 with 15 seconds left??? That would be enough for coach few to send the player back to their home country never to return.

Rather that than give Delly, Holt or Jones the chance to be Austin Rivers.

UKWildcatsFan
02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd rather be up 1.

webspinnre
02-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Rather that than give Delly, Holt or Jones the chance to be Austin Rivers.

Particularly if you can get the ball into the hands of a weak free throw shooter (ie Waldo or maybe Jones or Walker), or by some miracle it's still 1-and-1. I'm not sure I'd call this as a strategy, but it should at least be a consideration.