PDA

View Full Version : Keys To The Game

KOzag08
02-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Since this game is all I'm thinking about and work will basically have to take a backseat until tomorrow ... I was thinking of things that we absolutely HAVE to do to win this game. Usually coaches will come up with about three areas where they feel their team needs to perform in order to win a big game. Here's my three:

1. LIMIT SECOND CHANCE POINTS. We did a decent job last game, but with how many threes Saint Mary's throws up, we can't allow for easy put-backs. In a game where the opposing team is "better," easy points can't be allowed.

2. GET TO THE LINE. We need to get to the line, and when we do, we need to shoot better than 61% (our percentage last game). We are bigger and stronger, and we need to take advantage of that. I'd like us to get to the line close to 30 times.

3. TURNOVERS. We need to limit turnovers. Dumb mistakes kill us, and I blame that on the growing pains of a young team. Be smart with the ball. Also, force more turnovers. Saint Mary's only had 5 against us last time, and that's simply not enough. Get out in the passing lanes.

My final thought is more for Mark Few. BE LESS PREDICTABLE. Man-to-Man is fine, but when that doesn't work, don't sit back in a 2-3. Our 2-3 defense is generally not very good. Throw something at Saint Mary's they aren't expecting. Normally, I really like the Diamond-1 press, but with their speed and guard play, that won't be effective. I'd really like to see a Box-1 on Della. Keep a chest on him at all times, but allow some help defense from the box. You can't stay in this for very long, but throw this at them for 3-4 possessions in a row every once in awhile.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

webspinnre
02-09-2012, 07:43 AM
1) Do a better job defending the screens.

Reborn
02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
1. In a game that will be this close I will say that the team that plays harder and out hustles the other teaam will win. The Zags need to win the battle of hustle plays.

2. Play smart. This will cut down on the stupid turnovers that sometimes plague the Zags. Make crisp passes, and not any that are soft and float to the receiver of the pass, Don't rush, slow down, and make sure the guy your passing to is open. This also means running the offense and defense the way it's supposed to be run. This also means to follow the game plan the whole game and not just in the second half. Stay ah

3. Make your foul shots, and especially early in the game. The Zags have a tendency to not be focused when shooting foul shots early in the game. Often close games are won at the foul line.

DADoZAG
02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
1) Do a better job defending the screens.

Thatís what Iíve been thinking too. In Moraga, the Gaels were able to get several mismatches and took advantage of them.

On the other end of the floor, other than the fact a few key players forgot to show up, the problem really was ball movement, especially when the ZAGS got the ball inside.

In re-watching the Moraga game last night, I could have printed a dozen screen shots of a single ZAG in the paint with the ball. That ZAG was consistently trying to make an offensive move with three, four or even all five of the Gaels surrounding him. It wasnít too surprising that the ZAG big most of the time failed to score.

The ZAGS win when they get assists. Pass the rock!

Go ZAGS! Beat SMC!

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
1. Punch 'em in the mouth early
2. Limit turnovers
3. Rebound
4. Defend the trey

jazzdelmar
02-09-2012, 08:28 AM
smc is tough, zag-tough.

Zag4Hire
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Hard to say. I thought when the Gaels went to Provo, Rose had a good strategy: rough 'em up and get the crowd foaming at the mouth. However, it backfired as the Cougs couldn't match the intensity and the crowd converted to a mob. Gaels can keep their composure and you could make the argument for a lot of different strategies. They have shown they can win despite not winning the TO battle (Example, they won 98-82 despite losing the TO battle with BYU by 24/15). I think it comes down to fouls and FT shooting. Get in there and get contact. No easy buckets for the Gaels.

former1dog
02-09-2012, 09:16 AM
My hope is that the Zag guards have been coached to deal with the traps off of screens much better. That has been our achilles heel the entire season on the offensive side of the ball.

On defense, we play the screen and roll horribly against SMC. SMC has so many options on that play when Delly has the ball in his hands. We need a better strategy on defense for the screen and roll.