PDA

View Full Version : What leads you to believe we have a chance tomorrow?

zagitarious
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
The BYU game? The Pepperdine game? The last time i was truly impressed with this team was the end of December when we throttled Portland and beat Xavier. Since then there seems to be a real lack of cohesion within the offense. Whether you like to hear it or not, St. Mary's is playing VERY cohesive basketball right now, and look like a legit top 15 team. They're gonna come in confident and loose tomorrow and we're gonna need a near perfect game just to not lose by double digits.

Reborn
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
History! Last year the Zags were in the same position when they went to Moraga and beat the Gaels there. Only a few of thought they would do it. The Zags play in the Kennel tomorrow where they play much better. Mark Few and his staff are great. They always figure it out. Sacre will lead the Zags tomorrow and Harris is his right hand man.

Baldwinzag
02-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Well, it definitely won't be due to the lame "Beat the Gael" t-shirts the KC are allegedly wearing tomorrow.

Who have we become? Santa Clara & The Ruff Riders in their down years? :o

zaguarxj
02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Because nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-08-2012, 03:13 PM
History!

Bingo!

adoptedzag
02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Because nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

+1!

Baldwinzag
02-08-2012, 03:43 PM

And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!!

TheZagPhish
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Embarrassment + desperation + talent + skills + pride + home win percentage + unknown favorable advantages = We have a chance tomorrow.

Now what we do with that chance is another question.

sittingon50
02-08-2012, 03:57 PM
DOOMED, baby.

Demetri Awesome
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
The BYU game? The Pepperdine game? The last time i was truly impressed with this team was the end of December when we throttled Portland and beat Xavier. Since then there seems to be a real lack of cohesion within the offense. Whether you like to hear it or not, St. Mary's is playing VERY cohesive basketball right now, and look like a legit top 15 team. They're gonna come in confident and loose tomorrow and we're gonna need a near perfect game just to not lose by double digits.

We're Gonzaga!!! Sorry but this has to be the dumbest question I've ever answered on this board. Sure St. Mary's is good, but they're overrated. And yes we've been struggling on offense and defense, but if we come out with fire on both ends we win this game.

DixieZag
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Zags have enough talent that if they play their absolute best there are only about 6 teams in the country that the Zags can't beat at home no matter what.

I will be very surprised if we win. It will take us playing at our highest level and it will take SMC coming down a notch. People who want to say its like last year forget that both games last year came down to last second shots. We got run by one great team, and one decent team. Perhaps SMC will not play as perfectly as they did at home, but they might - they sure did at BYU.

Lastly, we could win if we suddenly regain some confidence in our 3 pt shooting - - it was our primary weapon in the first half of the year, we shot well against Pepperdine. That is a good sign b/c its not like Pepp left us any more open than we were against BYU. MM hits 2 of those 3 and its a different half, maybe game.

Zag79
02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Because i still believe we are the "better" team. If SMC played our schedule or just a harder one in general, they wouldn't have the record they do. That alone makes them look beter than they are. Yes, they blew us out at home but it happens. Florida State killed North Carolina, beat them by 33. I'm watching Kansas house Baylor right now, the Jayhawks are up 20 on the road. Blowouts happen, and it doesn't mean anything other than a loss if you have the right mindset. I think the fellas will come out swinging, and expect a helluva game.

zagitarious
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd love to be proven wrong, I just haven't seen anything in the last 6 games that tells me I should be confident about tomorrow..

Baldwinzag
02-08-2012, 05:07 PM
my poop was green today. last time that happened we beat SMC.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/8e/8e985b66_Mean_Green_Poop_Machine-1.jpg

NotoriousZ
02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
and not the green poop kind of feeling Gray'sA is having. You're right, zagatarious, we haven't looked that good since December.

But this is the week we turn it around again. We're going to have 5 guys on the court on the same page and hungry for an a$$ whoopin'.

Who's with me?!?

snebzag
02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Lots of agreement, except maybe the Green Poop theory.
Played our best against X and Arizona, but still have better players, we are at home, tougher schedule, History, backs against the wall, need a ranked win etc etc. Yes the T shirts suck, act like you been there before. Just win. Put the doubters to bed.

Zagger
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Because the Zags will find the handle on the ball. SMC is going to be humbled.

Baldwinzag
02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Lots of agreement, except maybe the Green Poop theory.
Played our best against X and Arizona, but still have better players, we are at home, tougher schedule, History, backs against the wall, need a ranked win etc etc. Yes the T shirts suck, act like you been there before. Just win. Put the doubters to bed.

I still feel our "best", most complete game/effort was vs ND.

We won by 20 pts, shot 40% from 3pt, 10 steals, out-rebounded opponent by +10, racked up 17 assists, and only 13 TO's.

Not to mention the fire we played with throughout(all 40), unlike anything I've seen from this team all year, 'Zona was a close 2nd, Xavier was our best road effort thus far.

zagitarious
02-08-2012, 08:08 PM
^^+1

sullyzag66
02-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Well, it definitely won't be due to the lame "Beat the Gael" t-shirts the KC are allegedly wearing tomorrow.

Who have we become? Santa Clara & The Ruff Riders in their down years? :o
Seriously? Wearing such would not be as bad as losing to SMC, but it's pretty damn close. And if Zags lose, it's downright pathetic. It's intervention time. :explode:

Reborn
02-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Gonzaga will win tomorrow because they are the Zags. There is something about them that almost seems miraculous. How many times did it seem that the Zags were in TROUBLE and were going to lose but somehow pull it out. Somehow that name on the front of the Jersey means something special to each player wearing it.

Tomorrow we will see our guys rise to a new level because of that name on their Jersey. Each guy will dig down deep inside himself and discover a place inside that he has not been to yet. The guys will play better tomorrow, better than we've seen all year because they know how important this game is. This is the time in every year that these guys who play for Gonzaga University begin to truly understand what it means to be a Zag and to play like one. Logic says St. Mary's by 10 tomorrow. Tradition says Gonzaga will win. Also my faith will continue to believe.

Some have lost their faith in our Zags, but that's nothing new is it? It happens all the time when the team is in their darkest hour. That's when some begin to abandon them and fill this board with darkness. But the majority of people will still believe that tomorrow the Zags will win. And they believe that because they have believed it for many years, and their victories have deepened their faith.

So yea of little faith, you are not new. You have been around since the beginning of time. But for those who now hold on to their faith tomorrow you will look at the guy or girl next to you and smile that precious smile that speaks a thousand words. You know that one more time the Zags havel not let you down.

VinnyZag
02-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Because GU is, what, 100-7 or something at the MAC since it opened.

zags422
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM

Japan????? C'mon man...

awberke
02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Japan????? C'mon man...

Bahahaha :clap:

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-09-2012, 04:57 AM

Ummmm....We're bigger, stronger, and deeper than they are? We're playing at home in front of a great fan base? We've got a few guys on the team who aren't terrible basketball players? Our coach wins a lot of games? No WCC team has beaten Gonzaga twice in the same year since 1998? Our point guard doesn't look like a Geico spokesman?

SteelZag
02-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Zags will win tonight because......great Sportscenter dunk by Jeremy Pargo will fire up the troops.

jpwils
02-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Freshmen are now sophs.

Bigs are due for BIG game.

And...SUN DON't Shine on same dog's butt each day- this is truly a new day.

I know they can do it!!

NotoriousZ
02-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Japan????? C'mon man...

You need to watch Animal House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI). Seriously.

Other required viewing for GUBoard members:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Star Wars saga
Caddyshack
Hoosiers

Others feel free to add to the list.

ZagsObserver
02-09-2012, 06:18 AM
To answer the OPs question, the oddsmakers at Vegas certainly don't see it that way, and neither do I.

DixieZag
02-09-2012, 06:27 AM
You need to watch Animal House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI). Seriously.

Star Wars saga
Caddyshack
Hoosiers

Pulp Fiction
Fletch
The Princess Bride

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Pulp Fiction
Fletch
The Princess Bride

A few others that have been quoted from time to time on the board:

The Blues Bros.
Full Metal Jacket
Monty Python's Life of Brian
A Few Good Men
Jerry McGuire (Unfortunately)

HillBillyZag
02-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Just do your job ! If each man gives his BEST EFFORT winning will take care of itself.

zags422
02-09-2012, 07:02 AM
I'll re-watch Animal House...my bad on the quotation. Apparently, I'm a bit rusty

Das Zagger
02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Since 1999, the Bulldogs' home record stands at 1209 (.930)

That's why.

U Zig, I Zag
02-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Embarrassment + desperation + talent + skills + pride + home win percentage + unknown favorable advantages = We have a chance tomorrow.

+1

bballbeachbum
02-09-2012, 07:30 AM

good one.

our youngs are not as young anymore either, and perhaps GU learned some things re. the matchups from the Moraga experience. talk about Rob and Waldow all you want, but the backcourt (the 1 thru 3 positions) needs to win their battles

bartruff1
02-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Since 1999, the Bulldogs' home record stands at 1209 (.930)

That's why. Home court a huge advantage....IMHO, there are no more than 10 teams in the country this year that can beat Gonzaga at home... I don't think that St Mary's is one of them..

zag944
02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Really? "Beat the Gaels" shirts? I just threw up in my mouth. Hopefully we dont storm the court when we beat them by 12. Barf again.

DADoZAG
02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Home court a huge advantage....IMHO, there are no more than 10 teams in the country this year that can beat Gonzaga at home... I don't think that St Mary's is one of them..

+1

What leads me to believe the ZAGS have a chance? I rewatched the Moraga game last night.

Gary Bell was shell shocked, the player that looked like Big Rob wasn't, Pangos tried to do to much instead of just playing the game (along with Harris in the second half), and Guy wasn't in the ZAG scheme yet.

Tonight, ZAGS by double digits.

Go ZAGS!

DixieZag
02-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Certainly home court will help tremendously, it is easier to really hustle and play tight D when the students have your back.

They still have to play well and hit their shots which is also easier when they are feeling confident at home.

tobizag
02-09-2012, 08:08 AM
rob's goin for 17 and 10 tonight, waldow will foul out trying to stop him...

elias will have 14 and 8 and gets jones in foul trouble early.

dower gets 12 pts on 6-7 shooting.

bell goes for 12, 6 rb, 3 asst, 3 st.

pangos gets 5-7 from 3 and scores 24 while dishing out 6 asst

carter gets 10 points mostly on breakaway "and-1's"

mouthguard crumbles under the weight of his own stank and turns the ball over 5 times while shooting 3-12 for the game.

steindl misses 3pter after 3pter.

jordan page and stephen holt forget to get off the plane.

rob jones never touches the ball as mouthgaurd and steindl heave brick after brick.

zags win by 20.

a guy can dream, right?

GO BULLDOGS!!! DESTROY THEM!!!

rennis
02-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Because GU is, what, 100-7 or something at the MAC since it opened.

Agreed that stats are severely in our favor in the home court advantage.

This SMC team is also probably the 2nd best team to set foot in the MAC. Far better than about 6 of those 7 losses.

We win tonight because it's Rob's last shot at a home win over the same rival he has had for 4 years, and because we hit threes, limit turnovers, defend Waldo and Jones, and don't get lost on hard screen switches at the top of the key.

And because the KC comes out and puts some effort in.

zagitup
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Star Wars saga
Caddyshack
Hoosiers

EVERYTIME that Animal House quote gets used on this board, someone gets suckered :roll:

Anyway, I'm with Bluto on this one..."LET'S DO IT!!!"

titopoet
02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
GU is at home.
They have great talent that learning to win on the road, but they have great talent. The Freshmen are becoming more now.
Few.
This is the start of the team of destiny.

Finally, SMC has been playing great, but they are overdue coming to earth. It happen to them 2008, 2009, 2010 and last year, and it will happen this year. Patty Mills, Micky McConnell, the Omar the Hamed up man have all felt sting of the stilling of the Gaels, will this SMC team be different? Chances and History says no. Tonight it the Gaels stop blowing hot air and stillness of Zags greatness rises, again.

SteelZag
02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Coaches and palyers should watch GLORY ROAD and read ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN.

bballbeachbum
02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Just do your job ! If each man gives his BEST EFFORT winning will take care of itself.

Yes! at Home, tonight. Either GU is better prepared and ready to outwork and outhustle St. Mary's and get that done, tonight, or they are. There's only 2 options. Which is it going to be?

and it wouldn't bug me to see Few and staff screaming for the illegal screen whistle every time Young sets a screen, any screen, literally every time, or any of them. Get that junk cleaned up, fair, and get it established early! even if it means a call vs. GU for the same, it hurts them waaay more to have that called cleanly, my opinion

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I'll re-watch Animal House...my bad on the quotation. Apparently, I'm a bit rusty

I thought being able quote that movie word for word was required to get into any college. ;)

Baldwinzag
02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
The guys have been saying it all week:

http://www.mobiletoones.com/downloads/wallpapers/free_mobile_logos/preview/52/57895-do-or-die.jpg

ZagAddict
02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
It hurts to say, but I'd have to say "nothing". This GU team hasn't displayed any kind of confident play in conference play this season, and the rotation hasn't allowed any kind of consistent play to provide confidence on either side of the court against good teams like SMC or BYU.

The play that really summed up the season for me was in the BYU game. At the 3:50 mark left in the game, Dower comes up with a loose ball and the bench calls a timeout. The Zags were on a HUGE roll at this point and had a chance to get the deficit to single digits. Coming out of a timeout the Zags looked completely lost on the offensive end of let 33 seconds come off the clock before turning over the ball and fouling BYU at the 3:10 mark. Immediately the BYU lead went back to 12 points with two free throws. From that point on, the Zags didn't have a chance with BYU working the clock.

At critical points, or in critical games, this team has just not been able to perform to the level we're all used to seeing out of the Zags. I think a very well coached Gael team beats GU at home tonight by double digits. It will be how the Zags close out the rest of the season (i.e. at home against BYU and on the road against USF) that will determine their March fate. I have a feeling that the WCC is a two bid team for the Big Dance in March. The question at this point is who is the second team going to be? The Zags need confidence and need it quick...

RenoZag
02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm a diehard.

We ALWAYS have a chance.

Beat the Gaels !

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Really can't understand any fan actually wanting to start a thread like this. Pretty sad day that we've devolved down to this.

johno
02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk?
What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the ape in ape-ricot?
COURAGE!

zaguarxj
02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk?
What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the ape in ape-ricot?
COURAGE!
Who put the ram in the ramalamadingdong?

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tobizag
02-09-2012, 09:23 PM
actual stats in BOLD

rob's goin for 17 and 10 tonight, waldow will foul out trying to stop him...

elias will have 14 and 8 and gets jones in foul trouble early.
10 pts 10 reb

dower gets 12 pts on 6-7 shooting.
8 pts on 4-8

bell goes for 12, 6 rb, 3 asst, 3 st.
12 pts 4 reb 1 asst 1 st

pangos gets 5-7 from 3 and scores 24 while dishing out 6 asst
5-6 from 3 pt for 27 pts, 2 asst

carter gets 10 points mostly on breakaway "and-1's"
pay no attention to this prediction...

mouthguard crumbles under the weight of his own stank and turns the ball over 5 times while shooting 3-12 for the game.
5-13 with 3 TO, got bailed on every call

steindl misses 3pter after 3pter.
1-4 on 3pt

jordan page and stephen holt forget to get off the plane.
holt didn't get to the arena, but page kinda did

rob jones never touches the ball as mouthgaurd and steindl heave brick after brick.
quietest 8 pt 7 reb effort i've ever seen

zags win by 20.
woulda if we'd hit our FT's!!

a guy can dream, right?

GO BULLDOGS!!! DESTROY THEM!!!

dreams come true, baby!

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-09-2012, 09:32 PM
actual stats in BOLD

dreams come true, baby!

You need to make more predictions.