PDA

View Full Version : Sacre's challenge Thursday night

CDC84
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
More people than just Robert Sacre were responsible for allowing SMC freshman center Brad Waldow to put up 17 and 10 in just 22 minutes of play on January 12.

It was clear in that game that Waldow just wasn’t a priority in the GU game plan.

Since that game he has assumed a larger role in the SMC attack. He’s playing with a great deal of confidence.

Robert Sacre is going to get the assignment.

Rob is a senior with five years in the GU system. Waldow is a freshman. Rob is 3-4 inches taller than Waldow. He’s longer and stronger. And as promising as Waldow is, I’m sorry, but he ain’t Jared Sullinger. He is, however, a very tough kid.

If Rob can’t put that kid in his place on Thursday night, the Zags have a paper tiger center.

Baldwinzag
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Picture perfect post, CDC.

Its a fair, constructive challenge and one to keep an eye on. This is how to offer an area of improvement for said player w/o pointless or needless attacks.

I look forward to Sacre bouncing back strong and playing a complete game with great hustle.

Sincerely hoping the officials let them play this game and don't attempt to take center stage during a big game.

Go Rob! Pwn the Gaels!

WallaWallaZag
02-08-2012, 04:33 PM
i like the zags chances if sacre can go for something like 14-7 shooting over 50% and playing good defense. just not sure rob is the type of player who can elevate his play in big games...when he's right he is solid, but never dominant.

Baseline
02-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Waldo shouldn't get over 6 points, I will start to worry if that happens.

Go Rob
Go ZAGS

SageOfZagville
02-08-2012, 04:38 PM
One of the reasons that Waldow got all his points, is because Sacre got caught switching on the screens. We somehow have to fight through the screens and not switch. If we do switch, we need to switch back and have the rotational help to cover Waldow down low.

MickMick
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
SMC can score from many positions.

Zags have to hit shots.

Zags have to especially hit the high percentage shots. Every shot from the post is considered a high percentage shot. Much of the game plan is devoted to getting high percentage shots.

Another way to get high percentage shots is with pushing the ball quickly and beating defenders down the court. It is also the only means I have seen Carter look remotely effective on the offensive end.

Those are the two areas that the Zags must work to get high percentage shots.

snebzag
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
This is just one piece to the puzzel, but an important one. I remember when Josh just owned Omar. It was beautiful.

Zagger
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Yep, Zags have to get the ball in the hoop - and NOT give it to SMC.

Baseline
02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
So glad I'm not coaching for this game, have no idea what I would do. Maybe just work on getting them up and stress rebounding.

madness
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
So far Sacre has been extremely gassed if he has too much offensive AND defensive focus in a big game. The Illinois game was a big example. For that reason I hope that the gameplan calls for plays involving Bell/Harris/Pangos. Get them involved offensively and let Sacre patrol the paint. Maybe even play Box+1 on Della...The man to man switching defense is just not ready yet for this team.

Then after Sacre gets settled in, start feeding the post in the second half and let him eat his dinner at the foul line. Simple gameplan, but clearly not something Few focused on in the big losses so far.

zagfan07
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I said it last week and I'll say it again. Our strength is our bigs. If Rob and Elias outplay their bigs, we win. They didn't last thursday at BYU and we lost.

Our guards won't have as many turnovers as they did against BYU, that was an anomalie, but Waldo killed us last time. I don't think he will again, but I think Jones will try to assert himself more than last time. Elias needs to play tough D again and work hard on offense. Another performance from him like his Freshman year in Moraga wouldn't hurt...

Radbooks
02-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Rob was still suffering from his hand injury in that first game and I think people are forgetting that. It's better now, but it appeared like he tweaked it again the other night.