PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks Draft hopes...

LongIslandZagFan
02-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Ok... Landry jones and the kid From USC are out... Griffin and Luck are likely to be gone.... What does everyone think is needed since a QB isn't likely to happen? I'll chime in later.

Eroop22
02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Kind of hope we get a defensive end. Lets face it Clemons is 31 and not getting any younger. Brock is 34 and provided zero pass rush last year. I haven't really looked at who is available yet. If I was the general manager of the hawks and Kellen Moore is still on the board in the 6-7th round I would draft him.

cjm720
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Linebacker is probably our biggest need. A QB or DE/DT too.

It won't happen, but I'd love to make a play at Manning or move up and get RG3.

Eroop22
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
I would also like to see the hawks draft a running back just in case Beast Mode decides to leave or even to just provide depth. My preferred pick at running back would be Chris Polk. I think we could draft him in round 3 possibly 4 depending on his 40 time. Apparently scouts at senior bowl were not impressed with his build said he was soft. I watch a lot of Husky football and dude is not soft he will truck you just like Lynch does. I would even go out on a limb and say he was possibly the best Husky running back ever.

webspinnre
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Definitely need a young RB in the mid rounds, but I agree that the two most glaring needs are DE and LB (and obviously QB, though that isn't looking great).

LongIslandZagFan
02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Thinking LB/DE in the first round... WR/DB in the second round...

Middling rounds... QB and would LOVE to see a rock solid FB al la Mack Strong if such a player exists.

Last pick... Rob Jones at TE? :)

cjm720
03-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Seahawks are pursuing Mario Williams!

http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2012/2/29/2832327/nfl-free-agency-2012-mario-williams-seattle-seahawks

Wow, that'd be a big get...then concentrate the draft on linebackers or DTs, and hopefully a QB. I bet we franchise Marshawn. And if our O-line can come back and stay healthy, I think we have a legit fight with SF (w T-Jax as the starter).

webspinnre
03-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Only issue with Mario is health. But yes, he'd be a big-time signing.

LongIslandZagFan
03-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Seahawks are pursuing Mario Williams!

http://seattle.sbnation.com/seattle-seahawks/2012/2/29/2832327/nfl-free-agency-2012-mario-williams-seattle-seahawks

Wow, that'd be a big get...then concentrate the draft on linebackers or DTs, and hopefully a QB. I bet we franchise Marshawn. And if our O-line can come back and stay healthy, I think we have a legit fight with SF (w T-Jax as the starter).

That'd be huge.

cjm720
03-02-2012, 08:09 AM
That'd be huge.

Where do you think Manning will land?

I think we have a 25% shot at him...will be interesting to see it play out.

webspinnre
03-02-2012, 08:16 AM
I think we've got less than a 2% chance of signing him. Doesn't seem likely. Much better chance of Flynn or drafting someone. It'd be kinda interesting if we ended up with Osweiler in the second round, given his GU connection.

cjm720
03-02-2012, 08:30 AM
It sucked seeing Flynn throw those six touchdowns....knew it would be that much harder to get him. That said, not sold on him. The GB system should be weighted highly in the analysis imo

zag944
03-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Just from a lot of NFL network buzz....

-The market for Manning seems to be mainly Washington, NYJ, and Miami

-The market for pick 2 seems to be Washington, Miami, and Cleveland (with Jacksonville there too perhaps, and us, but I doubt the Rams trade RG3/Luck within their division)

-The market for Flynn is mainly Washington in Miami

I dont think our QB savior comes this year. Too many other needs, and I think a lot of those teams are considerably more ambitious/stupid when it comes to what theyll give up. Even if QB is the biggest need its the most difficult to fill. D-Line, Linebacker, and I wouldnt mind more O-Line, since everyone seems to like being injured all the time.

LongIslandZagFan
03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Where do you think Manning will land?

I think we have a 25% shot at him...will be interesting to see it play out.

Defitely not in Seattle. I think thre is a 5% chance he stays in Indy. But my gut says either NYJ or Redskins.

SonofZagineer
03-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Defitely not in Seattle. I think thre is a 5% chance he stays in Indy. But my gut says either NYJ or Redskins.

I would think the Redskins just because Snyder and his history of paying the big buck. I do think that Manning needs to look at who has the best offensive line cause if he doesn't get the protection it could be a very short season for him.

webspinnre
03-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I would think the Redskins end up with either RG3 or Manning.

LongIslandZagFan
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I would think the Redskins just because Snyder and his history of paying the big buck. I do think that Manning needs to look at who has the best offensive line cause if he doesn't get the protection it could be a very short season for him.

That'd likely be the Jets.

SonofZagineer
03-02-2012, 03:41 PM
That'd likely be the Jets.

LIZF are you a Jet or a Giant? My Girlfriend is a Giant so I have found myself rooting for them but I always stick with my Seahawks when push comes to shove.

LongIslandZagFan
03-02-2012, 07:48 PM
LIZF are you a Jet or a Giant? My Girlfriend is a Giant so I have found myself rooting for them but I always stick with my Seahawks when push comes to shove.

Jet... but Seahawks trump all.

Jet fans treated me with far more respect when I have seen the Seahawks play here. Giant fans by and large treated my like ####

That being said... I was rooting for the Giants this year.

SonofZagineer
03-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Jet... but Seahawks trump all.

Jet fans treated me with far more respect when I have seen the Seahawks play here. Giant fans by and large treated my like ####

That being said... I was rooting for the Giants this year.

Please tell me you do not go around saying J..E..T..S.. Jets Jets Jets.

gu03alum
03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't know why Manning wouldn't consider Seattle. He would have the best shot at winning in Seattle other than the Jets. Would he really want to play for Rex Ryan? With that said, I hope (even though it is unlikely) that the Seahawks make a trade for RGIII. People will look back on this draft in 20 years and say that it was amazing that two hall of fame quarterbacks were drafted in the same draft. I do not want Brock. He is Dan McGwire part 2. I highly doubt that he will be an effective quarterback in the NFL. I would rather draft one of the smaller quarterbacks late like Russell Wilson or Kellen Moore for organizational depth and see what happens. I'm also not a big fan of Matt Flynn. I worry that he will be Kevin Kolb.

I think the Seahawks will ultimately end up trading down and getting more draft picks. They will use their first round pick on a linebacker. They will make a run at Mario Williams and as long as he's ok with coming to Seattle he will be a Seahawk. They will not get one of the big names at Quarterback and will instead draft a qb in the later rounds.

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Please tell me you do not go around saying J..E..T..S.. Jets Jets Jets.

Only to taunt Giant fans. :D

LongIslandZagFan
03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't know why Manning wouldn't consider Seattle. He would have the best shot at winning in Seattle other than the Jets. Would he really want to play for Rex Ryan? With that said, I hope (even though it is unlikely) that the Seahawks make a trade for RGIII. People will look back on this draft in 20 years and say that it was amazing that two hall of fame quarterbacks were drafted in the same draft. I do not want Brock. He is Dan McGwire part 2. I highly doubt that he will be an effective quarterback in the NFL. I would rather draft one of the smaller quarterbacks late like Russell Wilson or Kellen Moore for organizational depth and see what happens. I'm also not a big fan of Matt Flynn. I worry that he will be Kevin Kolb.

I think the Seahawks will ultimately end up trading down and getting more draft picks. They will use their first round pick on a linebacker. They will make a run at Mario Williams and as long as he's ok with coming to Seattle he will be a Seahawk. They will not get one of the big names at Quarterback and will instead draft a qb in the later rounds.

I hear you on Manning, could be location, OLine, money...who knows... I'm still not sold on RG3. There are some very solid QBs next year... Fix other holes this year and hopefully they will have to trade up to get one of them next year.

gu03alum
03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I hear you on Manning, could be location, OLine, money...who knows... I'm still not sold on RG3. There are some very solid QBs next year... Fix other holes this year and hopefully they will have to trade up to get one of them next year.

I like RGIII a lot, but I also liked JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf a lot too. The thing that I think is different is that it seems like RGIII has a good head on his shoulders.

I think the fix holes plan is probably the best too. I would like to see them get a quarterback though in the later rounds and maybe they can develop him. Rather than buying a Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel, or Matt Hasselbeck, the Seahawks should be trying to create one of their own.

webspinnre
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm not on the HoF bandwagon for RGIII. I think he'll be good, but not necessarily great. And the cost to trade up for the Seahawks would be nuts, plus there's no way StL would trade him to us.

cjm720
04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
I'm thinking a DE at #12. Definitely defense, right?

LongIslandZagFan
04-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Defense, yes. MLB or DL... Then solidify OLine.

webspinnre
04-19-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm hoping for Coples or Kuechly, if they make it down to us.

zag944
04-19-2012, 08:58 AM
I was reading some articles about success by position in first round picks, and basically one of the things I got out of it is that DL is one of the safer bets out there. We whiffed on Tubbs and Jackson, so hopefully statistics work a little more in our favor this time.

Wouldnt be opposed to trading down if the price is right either.

gu03alum
04-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I want Coples too, but have heard bad things about his attitude.

Eroop22
04-19-2012, 09:45 AM
We whiffed on Tubbs and Jackson

We should add Lamar King to the list.

Eroop22
04-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I think we will go DL or LB with our first round pick. But who knows we might do something stupid like draft a WR.

webspinnre
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Maybe it's just me, but Kuechly is a guy I really, really like. I'd love to see him in the middle, see if he can be our Patrick Willis.

gu03alum
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I keep hearing the Seahawks want Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

Here's what ESPN says about him:

Was very good this year, and has risen some for me as I hear the reviews from teams. He's gotten bigger, and now could go DE, 3-4 OLB or even as a Leo. Jones has long arms and moves well, and O-linemen can't keep him engaged.

He sounds like what the Seahawks are looking for. Does anyone have an opinion about him? I haven't read too much about him.

webspinnre
04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't know much beyond what I've read. My concern with him is that he's been a recent riser, which is something that always worries me a bit. A week or two ago people were saying he was a late first/early 2nd kind of guy, now he's talked about as a top 10/15 player. My other concern is how much of a project is he? I've been reading that he's showed big improvements year to year, and it sounds like the draft assessments of him are based more on where he could end up than what his performance has been up to this point, which is always something that makes me nervous. It sounds like he has higher upside than possibly Ingram or Coples, but also a higher bust potential. I don't know if it'd happen, but I'd love to trade back into the late teens or early 20s, and find one of those 3 DEs still there, which looks like it might be possible.

LongIslandZagFan
04-25-2012, 11:09 AM
I keep hearing the Seahawks want Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

Here's what ESPN says about him:

He sounds like what the Seahawks are looking for. Does anyone have an opinion about him? I haven't read too much about him.

OLB that could do time at DE.. Intriguing to say the least. 260 seems a touch undersized for DE though

gu03alum
04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
OLB that could do time at DE.. Intriguing to say the least. 260 seems a touch undersized for DE though

Kerney was 266 pounds when he was drafted. I don't think that really means anything, but I guess it's possible to be smallish and be successful at that position.

Eroop22
04-25-2012, 11:56 AM

260 lbs isn't really undersized. Off the top of my head I can name a few really good DE that are right around 260 lbs Cliff Avril, Chris Clemons, Elvis Dumervil, Osi Umenyiora, Andre Carter. Robert Mathis is less than 250 lbs. Jared Allen, Jason Babin, Dwight Freeney are around 270 lbs.

webspinnre
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Whelp, there goes Kuechly. We'll see if they do what everyone expects and pick a DE, or trade down for a DE.

edit: Lovely, traded back 3 spots and added a 4th and 6th.

webspinnre
04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Ugh. He wouldn't have been available 15 picks later?

LongIslandZagFan
04-26-2012, 06:05 PM
I think my response was WTF???? But the stupidity of the pick made me black out. The dude wasn't even there!!!

gu03alum
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
So depressing. He has all of the measurables and it seems his only negative is character. I want to trust Pete and John, but its tough.

LongIslandZagFan
04-26-2012, 06:11 PM
So depressing. He has all of the measurables and it seems his only negative is character. I want to trust Pete and John, but its tough.

Look, I don't have an issue with them picking him... but at 15? With Jones still on the board? Geez Pete and John... what were you thinking?

gu03alum
04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
I like Fleener. I hope they are able to get him in the next round.

Jakester425
04-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Im going to wait to see him play before I decide whether it was a bad pick or not. I couldn't care less what the talking heads have to say. They said Aaron Curry was the safest pick in the draft when we got him and we all know how that turned out.

Eroop22
04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Maybe Irvin wasn't as big of a reach as all the talking heads at espn thought. At least 7 teams had him rated as a top 15 player.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/at-least-seve-teams-had-bruce-irvin-in-top-15/

Mel Kiper is an A$$hat. The guy gets things wrong all the time. He thought Jimmy Clausen was the 4th best player in 2010. Well Clausen went 48th. The guy is nothing more than a self appointed "Draft Guru".

LongIslandZagFan
04-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Like I said my only issue is where they drafted him. I'd been much happier if they took Jones instead of letting the Pats get him.

zag944
04-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Like I said my only issue is where they drafted him.

Same here really. I just wish we'd been able to trade down a little more and gotten a little more before we picked him.

The consistent pretending that everyone knows how every player will turn out gets a little silly. Even if Kiper, McShay etc were right more often, they still arent looking at how a team is being constructed from an insider's view. You hire a GM and hope/trust that he knows what he is doing.

gu03alum
04-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Russell Wilson is a great pick. I was hoping the Hawks would get him.

st. al
04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Had the first faux OTA today.

Kam is huge.

gu03alum
05-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Russell Wilson on Jon Gruden's QB Camp

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmH3JhGeIU0)