PDA

View Full Version : What's your ONE THING the Zags need to do to win?

NotoriousZ
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
For me it's cutting out the stupid turnovers. Do we really need to force the ball inside if the passing lane is closed? I know they're trying to run a set play, but can't they just pass to the other side and try another play? I swear that kills me more than anything else.

Value the possession. No lazy passes please.

bballbeachbum
02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
out work/out hustle every other team every game...turn up the toughness meter, mind body and soul, every guy all together

tobizag
02-06-2012, 06:52 PM
outscore their opponent

MDABE80
02-06-2012, 06:52 PM
1. No turnovers...I mean what's the point of 2 and 3 below if you give the ball back??
2. Defense...serioous basic defense.
3. Ferocious rebounding.

Blitzing-Zag
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
1. Rebound
2. Solid defense/Fight through all screens
3. Limit turnovers
4. When teams go into zone defenses, the offense cannot go stagnant

GeorgiaZagFan
02-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Zags only had 12, which isn't bad....but the D forced all of 5 turnovers against St. Marys. We need the turnover numbers to be even at worse and we should win.

ZagSports
02-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Play Gonzaga basketball

MickMick
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Cutting the number of turnovers!

This

Baldwinzag
02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Focus.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Cutting the number of turnovers!

Circle gets the square!

TheGonzagaFactor
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
They need to shoot more, which will lead to less turnovers. A lot of our turnovers are after an open look was passed up in the possession. Look at the team with Raivio, Heytvelt, and Pendergraft (06-07). That team had a quick trigger in that they took anything resembling an open shot whether the shot clock was at :31 or at :00. I know they were a first round out, but they overachieved given their depth and the Heytvelt suspension. The current players don't want to miss a couple shots with 20 or more seconds on the shot clock and get benched for the rest of the game. I think we need to give Bell, Pangos, and Harris free reign to take the shots they want at some point. I hate seeing Bell pass up a shot, I feel like he would benefit a lot from shooting more. It seems like we are always looking for an easy open layup, and I feel like a lot of good perimeter shots aren't taken as a result.

Baldwinzag
02-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Keep chopping wood.

Oregonzagnut
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Keep it under 10 turnovers.
Make 80% FT's.
Hit 40% of our 3's

Sacre and Dower not missing dunks and layups.

Oh wait, that was 4 things. Sorry!!!

One thing? Slow down and do not run and gun with the Gaels.

Baldwinzag
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
See, the trick is... to find your swing...

What'd you say?...

Well you lost your swing... We got to go find it... Now it's somewhere... in the harmony... of all that is... All that was... All that will be...

Yep... Inside each and every one of us is one true authentic swing... Somethin' we was born with... Somethin' that's ours and ours alone... Somethin' that can't be taught to ya or learned... Somethin' that got to be remembered... Over time the world can, rob us of that swing... It get buried inside us under all our wouldas and couldas and shouldas... Some folk even forget what their swing was like...

There's a perfect shot out there tryin' to find each and every one of us... All we got to do is get ourselves out of its way, to let it choose us... Can't see that flag as some dragon you got to slay... You got to look with soft eyes... See the place where the tides and the seasons and the turnin' of the Earth, all come together... where everything that is, becomes one... You got to seek that place with your soul... Seek it with your hands don't think about it... Feel it... Your hands is wiser than your head ever gonna be... Now I can't take you there... Just hopes I can help you find a way... Just you... that ball... that flag... and all you are...

The rythm of the game just like the rythm of life...

Reborn
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Play like we want this game more than St. Mary's does. When I'm watching the game I want to be able to clearly see that the Zags are giving it 110% effor the whole game and just flat out outplaying St. Mary's. They need to come with the energy Thursday that they did not have @ St. Mary's. The Kennel Club will help out.

We need to play way better defense than we did last time, especially in the low post and against Delly.

Sacre and Dower will hopefully have really good games.

Play like Zags!!!

siliconzag
02-06-2012, 09:32 PM
fundamentals. We are not fighting through screens, we make lazy passes, we fail to move without the ball, our spacing is horrible, we are not making the extra pass to find the open man, and our defensive strategy and intensity sucks! Other than that, we have flourishes and moments of excellence, and will likely sneak into the tournament again this year.

I can't remember a Zag team that shoots less reliably, that turns the ball over more, that misses more critical free throws, and makes fewer stops when we get behind.

Some blame it on youth. Some blame it on the coach. Some say it is our athleticism. I figure by this time, all of these excuses are a bit lame. They have had enough playing time, and enough game experience that they should be improving by now. I am still rooting for them, although my hopes for post season glory have been modified to more realistic expectations, like Bob Zag.

There is always a chance our opponents will play a stinker against us, return the favor (although I know we shouldn't count on this). I, like Reborn, feel as though we might still luck into a conference championship tie with the Moragans, but put the odds pretty low. USF played them very tight for most of the game in Moraga, which brings up another vulnerability for us--We can't sleep on the Dons. They are getting better and have a knack for knocking us off. We need to hold serve (no small accomplishment) at home, and hope that USF sets their sites on St. Mary's rather than the Zags. Feb 25 is a big game for the Maries at War Memorial and they are vulnerable. Unlike the Zags, the Dons scored at will inside against SMC.

Our chances against BYU are good in Spokane, the SMC game is going to be dependent on us playing one of our best games of the year, and them one of their worst. We need our experienced players to start showing some consistent leadership and our coach to do a better job of designing effective defensive strategies against teams like St. Mary's.

Sorry for the rambling.

upan8th
02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Find a lineup, any lineup, as we approach the end of the season, that ACTUALLY WORKS! One that puts points on the board either in a transition game (preferred) or a set up offense; one that has a consistent strategy on defense that comes over screens and PRESSURES via double teams, zone traps, and is RELENTLESSly agressive. And then, LEAVE 'EM IN THE #@!!@&% GAME!

No more 'Hoff for a minute and 3 missed threes or Keita for a minute of desperate defense or Hart for the same thing, or Guy for five minutes of hope and a prayer. Or the kind of whimsical subs at the 1 and 2 that looks more like musical chairs than high level NC2A BBall. This team, thus far, is Mark Few's version of Oakland. As Gertrude Stein so succinctly described it: "There is no there, there."

I know, they're young and still learning. Well then, put together the best pupils, the quick studies, leave em on the floor to get schooled if they need be, but, jeez, can we hope to see a semblance of an actual, well melded, functioning TEAM before the season's end? Doesn't seem too much to ask, or does it.

drnoe
02-06-2012, 09:59 PM
1) Cut turnovers
2) Finish inside
3) Bang the boards
4) Inside out

sircreate
02-07-2012, 01:20 AM
As a Gael fan I can tell you how to beat St Mary's

Stop Delly and you'll win, the whole offense revolves around him and he's like a coach on the floor at times(if you actually watch some timeouts for SMC you'll see Delly
pulling the players together and telling them what to do with RB standing by and nodding sometimes).

Tho I think Delly will be alot more fired up then normal cause Im sure he's seen this clip on youtube of a Gonzaga student during the first game this season :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLQcVpk_Yg

Baldwinzag
02-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Tho I think Delly will be alot more fired up then normal cause Im sure he's seen this clip on youtube of a Gonzaga student during the first game this season :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgLQcVpk_Yg

I got a chuckle from this vid and noticed the Gael board did as well. All in good fun and while the sentiment may shared by many it is fueled by tremendous respect.

"Ya know Andy, you're not being very Christian-like for a person attending a Christian school ..."

:lmao:

810Suited
02-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Add more talent

jazzdelmar
02-07-2012, 02:39 AM
The 3

Baldwinzag
02-07-2012, 02:51 AM
The 3

Couldn't agree more, Jazz

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhyso0S4Iw1qzl7y6o1_500.gif

"No, we will not die like dogs! We will fight like lions! Because we are...

The Three Amigos!"

RenoZag
02-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Stop Delly ?

From scoring, maybe, but he can kill us in other ways. . .

My one thing the Zags have to do to win is to outrebound the Gaels. By a lot.

Can they ? We'll find out in a couple of days.

TexasZagFan
02-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Stop Delly ? From scoring, maybe, but he can kill us in other ways. . .

My one thing the Zags have to do to win is to outrebound the Gaels. By a lot.

Can they ? We'll find out in a couple of days.

Put an ounce (or two) of Super Glue in Delly's mouthpiece.

Baldwinzag
02-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Stock the visitors locker room with Tim Tams & Vegemite prior to the game.

It'll keep 'em distracted.

bigblahla
02-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Pressure Delly all 90ft every second of the game.

Start with Hart on him, let Keita have a turn, EDI, go big on him and make it hard for him to pass over the top.

Pay attention to Steindyl, he does not put the ball on the floor he shoots the 3.

Bigs stay at home when Delly drives taking away the bunnies for Waldow.

Kick Rob Jones in the Jewels every chance we get. :D

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

aflac4life
02-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Knock down open looks early in the game and win the opening tip.

gamagin
02-07-2012, 06:11 AM
to lose.

omahazag
02-07-2012, 06:27 AM
The 3

Yep

zaguarxj
02-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Are we talking about the St. Mary's game? 'Cause the Zags already do win most of their games. The question in the thread title makes it sound like they have a losing record.

Angelo Roncalli
02-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers.

buenaparkzag
02-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Do not let Dellavedova and Holt penetrate then will win.

DADoZAG
02-07-2012, 08:37 AM

Ö

Wow, how Zen like. Must have been a good night, huh Baldwin?

Offensively: Ball movement utilizing misdirection. Many of the turnovers are because of predictability, move the ball crisply but throw in misdirection, shot fake, pass fake, and watch for the late dump to the big thatís consistently open right after the pick and roll.

Defensively: Properly hedge on the high ball screens and donít switch when a big is involved. Secondarily, when fouling, foul hard, especially in the paint.

Go ZAGS! Beat SMC!

awberke
02-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Shut down the pick and roll! (and put someone big on dellavedova, does anyone else hate calling him delly?)

Baseline
02-07-2012, 08:44 AM
If our 3 point shots fall, we will be in the game. Watch the first 3 shots, if one falls we are OK, if note we are in trouble.

cjm720
02-07-2012, 09:07 AM
If I had to choose one thing, it would be to shoot 42%+ from the 3 point line. Our weaknesses would be muted and the big men would have more room to bang and score down low.

Zagsker
02-07-2012, 09:09 AM
If I had to choose one thing, it would be to shoot 42%+ from the 3 point line. Our weaknesses would be muted and the big men would have more room to bang and score down low.

yup...we need to punish teams for doubling down on Rob (of course this requires Rob to effectively pass out of it) this is something we have not done all year

gamagin
02-07-2012, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY

DixieZag
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Hit open 3s.

It all opens up from there.

NotoriousZ
02-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Shut down the pick and roll! (and put someone big on dellavedova, does anyone else hate calling him delly?)

Yes. He will always be "mouthpiece" or "dellavamouthpiece" to me. Good player, but painful to look at...it's like staring into the sun.

Baldwinzag
02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
No more playing cutesy. We're thinking about the play, instead of just playing.

Execute with passion, purpose, focus. Value every possession. Be accountable but don't be afraid.

Pangos said it best following his most recent game:

“I felt like I was just playing basketball and I just got back into the rhythm of things,” the freshman guard said. “I didn’t think the game too much, I just played.”

Our boys should hit the court wearing this name tag only:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50195_158670740819145_6175_n.jpg

Make my day!

Ezag
02-07-2012, 10:12 AM
If it's a game of guards, SMC will win. We need to win the inside battle. Score, win the battle of the boards. Take it to Jones and Waldow. Our inside game has been pretty weak of late.

jim77
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Pressure Delly all 90ft every second of the game.

Start with Hart on him, let Keita have a turn, EDI, go big on him and make it hard for him to pass over the top.

Pay attention to Steindyl, he does not put the ball on the floor he shoots the 3.

Bigs stay at home when Delly drives taking away the bunnies for Waldow.

Kick Rob Jones in the Jewels every chance we get. :D

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Like it.

It will be easy for us to stay home when we're in zone......I'd shut the lane off and make them hit 20 3 pointers to beat us. I would not chase their passing game around....they love it when teams who don't have the length or speed to chase their passes do it anyway. Keep you're hands up ZAGS! I'd also start 3 forwards...EDI... E...Hart...and a PG.

Zag
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Defend the 3 pointer. Our guards need to play defense and get their hands in faces of St. Mary's behind the 3 point line.

I don't think our guards can do it alone though, so it will also take the student section getting the defensive assist by getting in the heads of St. Mary's. Frankly I'm a little tired of hearing how hard it is to play in Moraga and Provo from the announcers. The biggest home court advantage and best place to play in the WCC is Spokane. Home court and defense will win this game for the zags.

Zagsker
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Are we talking about the St. Mary's game? 'Cause the Zags already do win most of their games. The question in the thread title makes it sound like they have a losing record.

No, we are talking about Longwood.....good grief man....anyone should be able to read the title of this thread and know we are talking about the St. Mary's game and not making a negative statement on the season as a whole

maynard g krebs
02-07-2012, 05:25 PM

What'd you say?...

Well you lost your swing... We got to go find it... Now it's somewhere... in the harmony... of all that is... All that was... All that will be...

Yep... Inside each and every one of us is one true authentic swing... Somethin' we was born with... Somethin' that's ours and ours alone... Somethin' that can't be taught to ya or learned... Somethin' that got to be remembered... Over time the world can, rob us of that swing... It get buried inside us under all our wouldas and couldas and shouldas... Some folk even forget what their swing was like...

There's a perfect shot out there tryin' to find each and every one of us... All we got to do is get ourselves out of its way, to let it choose us... Can't see that flag as some dragon you got to slay... You got to look with soft eyes... See the place where the tides and the seasons and the turnin' of the Earth, all come together... where everything that is, becomes one... You got to seek that place with your soul... Seek it with your hands don't think about it... Feel it... Your hands is wiser than your head ever gonna be... Now I can't take you there... Just hopes I can help you find a way... Just you... that ball... that flag... and all you are...

Will Smith for head coach!

rennis
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
If I could have anything happen, it would be for Elias to assert himself in this game. He's been too quiet lately. He has been dominating SMC since he put on a GU uni. We need him to do so again...badly Thursday night.

Second thing would be for our 3s to fall. Our shots fall, we win. They don't fall, we lose. Story of the season.