PDA

View Full Version : Heres a big with Zag hair

HillBillyZag
02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0llhzCPMis Jordan Cowgill, Thomas Worthington High School-Worthington Ohio 6'10", 255. Listed as the top sleeper on the 2012 Ohio High School hoops list. Another publication calls him a "traditional big " with a high upside. From the youtube, he has a soft touch and decent footwork for a kid his size.So far has not been heavily recruited by a school with Gonzaga's portfolio. I think the kid has potential.

awberke
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
He looks less athletic than rob even.

DixieZag
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Two impressions:

At least he already has a drop step move.

At his size, to have a video highlight that does not contain a single dunk tells me that there is a bit of an "explosion" problem.

cjm720
02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
He looks less athletic than rob even.

Just don't get posts like this....

GeorgiaZagFan
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I'd be careful ...he might be only 6'7" after a haircut!! :)

zaguarxj
02-07-2012, 06:40 AM

It's because none of the "3"s plays consistent enough minutes to play the "designated scapegoat" role.

HillBillyZag
02-07-2012, 07:11 AM
One does not have be a high jumper and able to dunk on a regular basis to play the Center spot in an efficient manner. The Johnson kid from Miami, for instance has been described as a "below the rim " player. Rebounding is mostly position, desire, good hands to shoot or distribute the ball, and footwork to get to the hoop. Batista was never known for his dunks, mostly for his rebounds, passes, and points. How long have we been witness to Sacre and Harris dropping that lead shoulder like a football lineman throwing a block and then getting whistled for the fouls. How long have we watched both bring the ball down in a crowd and have it stripped or stolen by players half their size? Basketball, when played at it's best is not just a bunch of guards dribbling around and firing up long range threes. Many offensive sets run through the center or (5) spot as you young'ns call it?, and we have seen little of this stuff done on a consistant basis by our starting bigs!

awberke
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM

What don't you get? I thought i was pretty clear.

allnet59
02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
One does not have be a high jumper and able to dunk on a regular basis to play the Center spot in an efficient manner. The Johnson kid from Miami, for instance has been described as a "below the rim " player. Rebounding is mostly position, desire, good hands to shoot or distribute the ball, and footwork to get to the hoop. Batista was never known for his dunks, mostly for his rebounds, passes, and points. How long have we been witness to Sacre and Harris dropping that lead shoulder like a football lineman throwing a block and then getting whistled for the fouls. How long have we watched both bring the ball down in a crowd and have it stripped or stolen by players half their size? Basketball, when played at it's best is not just a bunch of guards dribbling around and firing up long range threes. Many offensive sets run through the center or (5) spot as you young'ns call it?, and we have seen little of this stuff done on a consistant basis by our starting bigs!

I totally agree with this post. Batista was a scoring machine with all his moves and it had nothing to do with his lack of vertical. Give me a post player with strong hands , wide shoulders, and a quick move anyday of the week. I'm hoping Spangler is our guy. Great positioning wins on both ends of the court over hops in my book.

HillBillyZag
02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Only current (2012) stat I could get to for the Cowgill kid is that in eleven games this season he was averaging 10.8 boards per game and that is against some good Columbus area teams. If someone would take a chance on him it might be a real good invesstment?

snebzag
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
What I noticed most was the fact he caught the high pass and kept the ball up high and right back to the basket. Did not bring the ball down to his waist and try to "Juke" a defender. Worth a look. How's his GPA?

BULLDOG#1
02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Samhan

titopoet
02-08-2012, 09:46 AM

True, and while he has the hair, Przemyslaw Karnowski has more the game. Cowbell only has D2 offers for a reason. Przemyslaw Karnowski has more of what you talk about than the young Mr Cowbell, with the exception of the hair.

LongIslandZagFan
02-08-2012, 11:30 AM
What don't you get? I thought i was pretty clear.

:horse:

HillBillyZag
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I have never read or seen anything official about the "big Karnoski" having been offered a G.U. Scholarship or if he has?, if he seemed receptive to attending G.U? If he is our guy?, I'm all in favor of it. I merely think that the Cowgill kid , with proper coaching and conditioning has the size and tools to become a more than adequate Center. His footwork and hands appear more polished than Samhan's was as a frosh. If one position in basketball can be taught to a willing student?, it is Center(five). Cowgill has height, bulk, decent movement and good hands. I'd bet that if someone takes a chance on this young man? it will prove to be a good investment.

HillBillyZag
02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I see today that Cowgill verballed to Ohio Dominican right there in Columbus. It's a great get for them and my best wishes to Jordan for a great Collegiate career!