• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GUnawinit
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2011

Winning it all

I posted earlier my thoughts on our big, Rob! I'm not sure how all felt on the topic, but some agreed Scare isn't the answer.

In my opinion with Bell and Pangos we can win it all (in the future) with a nice big!

You got'ta get more production form the middle, but Mark and company keeps recruiting nice PG's.

Running off guys like (McDonald All American's like Villarino). I just don't get it!

It's just my opinion, we need players of lenght and can score. guys like Austin Daye.

Doesn't it bother you to hope every year to see OUR team get beat in the 1st round?

We now we can make the tourney, can't we feel confident at some point it doesn't need to be magic?

Let's put players on the court (Thru recruiting) that allows us to be more than that!

We have the key pieces (Bell, Pangos, Spangler, Dower), lets get a big that seals the deal. Remember the kid from Illinous(SP), that can score from inside and out! Why can't we recruit a young man like that???

I love love one NFL team that keeps me hanging every year, just as the Zags.

The program is beyond, the glass slipper, Butler proved that point!

Do we want the program to just compete or truly contend? Geez, St Mary's has caught up just in 2-3 years.

It's heart breaking to me too know GU is just a contender, the magic slipper is gone, the nation sees it, the mystic is gone....

Heck, Murray State at last glance is unbeaten....great game coming up with St. Mary's

What I'm trying to say here is, don't tease us as fans...don't have aprogram that says "we can win it" when in actuality we're just average!

Recruit good kids yes, but kids that allow us to win it all.

IS D. Stockton that kid, nope a legacy yes..but creates me heartburn all the same.

I love GU basketball, but winning "In my mind" is what it boils down too!

We can't have the program that lives in our past success, that has past long ago!
  • DCZag
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Aug 2009

GU, man a dose of perspective; Villarino wasn't an all-american and he's really tearing it up at Appalachian State - NOT. Butler is sucking this year, staying good ain't easy; and it took SMC 11 years to catch up, not just the last 2.
    Am I pleased with how we played in our 4 losses, no. Heck I'm not pleased with how we played in a good portion of our wins, but the sky ain't fallin'. We have a program that produces consistent excellence, it's a process. I'd rather win every year than make it to the FF once and drop off the map for the next 10 years.

Comment

• Stache
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Nov 2007

If it were easy, everybody would do it

So recruit the best players in the country? Get the very best talent? Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that.

Comment

• willandi
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Ncaa should change the way recruits get selected by schools and how they select schools. It should be a mix of NFL, NBA and MLB. The worst teams get to pick first, there's a lottery to determine further order and if you don't want to go to the school, don't sign the LOI and sit out for a year, then try again. Maybe that way we could get a player that would normally go to Kentucky, Florida or that powerhouse Toledo!

What a stupid concept!
        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Booster
          Bulldog Fan
          • Feb 2010

I don't post often, but certainly an active reader and more importantly, closely linked to the program for the past 30 years.

GU ... easy big fella. Read up on some of the facts of what is arguably one of the most successful programs of all time. Fact. Most of us realize, though often don't convey, that success comes in far many forms than just wins. If you succumb to most every other program in the NCAA's, then sure, you're just looking for the wins. GU is so far beyond that. Get to know a few folks within the program and across the administration and you'll realize that the mission of the basketball program, in addition to wanting to win conference titles and national championships, is about driving the mission of the University; about being a Zag.

The fact of the matter is that we are not "just average", SMC has "not caught up in just 2-3 years", and "winning is not what it boils down to". For starters, we've made 13 consecutive NCAA appearances to SMC's 0. Sure, they've got a terrific program, but call back in about another 10 years to see how they've progressed. There is more pride, courage, and commitment in this GU program than most any other. It's about a commitment to doing the right thing, always. To those who define the opportunity in only wins are missing the point.

Comment

• kclubfounder
            Zag for Life
            • Aug 2007

When I read the OP early this morning I was sort of hoping it would go ignored. I figured it was so silly I wouldn't dignify it with a response.

However, since the seal has been broken, I would like to nominate this as the OP "Turkey of the Year".

Comment

• zag67
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

I think that you need to wake up

Gunaw, 18 - 4 is NOT average. I think that if you check that percentage would be in the top 5 - 10 percent of ALL D-1 colleges.

Are we playing great? NO. Are we hustling and even in our losses putting out effort? YES. We had one blow out, lost to two big ten teams by 7 (without our complete team), and lost to BYU on the road by 10 (shooting 3 for 19 from the three and having way too many turnovers). Are we young? yes. Are they learning? YES. Do our bigs make some major errors? Yes, but it is not from not trying, in most cases they try and do too much because of a previous screw up.

Did you look at Sacre's hand? Oh they had to bandage it. Maybe he is not 100 percent. But you have to agree, he gives 100 percent with what he has. I (maybe alone) believe that he will be drafted into the NBA and will be there for many years. He has the hustle and fight that is needed to be a good backup center.

As far as Villarino, he was a ME first type point guard and in most ways, I was not sad to see him go. I am not sure he would have liked it this year, because I am not sure he would have been starting (let alone playing). And also as far as Daye is concerned, yes it would have been nice to have a player like him for four years. But in reality, he did not contribute as much as he should have. He was still learning and I think he wishes he stayed at least one more year to improve (but he did not).

Do we need a new big for next year? Yes, but do not expect him to come in and be a contributor in his first year. Only about 3 to 10 bigs IN THE NATION are able to come in and contribute in the first 2 years. It takes time to mature, get use to the speed of D-1 and contribute against players as big as them. Also most of them will not be players coming out of high school because they do not practice or play against people as big and fast as they are.

There is not another mid major that has performed at the level we have for the length of time we have. We just keep winning, like the energizer bunny just keeps running. Will we win the conference this year, maybe not, but it has been a great run and may go longer. Are we putting a competitive team on the court? Yes. Do they play at a high level? yes, but maybe not as high as we would like.

I really like the composition of this team and look forward to the rest of this year and into the future (even if we do not get another big for another year).
              Go Zags. Have fun and see you at the dance.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Huh?

Appreciate the passion -- but I have a few questions/comments on your "thoughts".

Originally posted by GUnawinit View Post
                I posted earlier my thoughts on our big, Rob! I'm not sure how all felt on the topic, but some agreed Scare isn't the answer.

In my opinion with Bell and Pangos we can win it all (in the future) with a nice big! Agree -- those two guys are special -- and there's a very high ceiling for the Zags with those two kids anchoring the backcourt.

You got'ta get more production form the middle, but Mark and company keeps recruiting nice PG's. Huh? I don't think Karnowski is a PG.

Running off guys like (McDonald All American's like Villarino). I just don't get it! Huh? GJ wasn't a McDonald All American. He wasn't a team player. He's had over 1 1/2 seasons at Appalacian State (including his redshirt year) and hasn't done a thing.

It's just my opinion, we need players of lenght and can score. guys like Austin Daye. Yes -- Gonzaga's highest rated recruit ever was a good player with length and skills -- and although he WAS maturing a bit -- GU didn't reaps the benefits of all Austin could have offered.

Doesn't it bother you to hope every year to see OUR team get beat in the 1st round? Huh? Were you a math major? GU has been beaten in the first round 3 X during the current 13 year (and counting) NCAA tourney streak. That's less than once every four appearances. That's a little different than "every" year.

We now we can make the tourney, can't we feel confident at some point it doesn't need to be magic? Huh?

Let's put players on the court (Thru recruiting) that allows us to be more than that! Good idea.

We have the key pieces (Bell, Pangos, Spangler, Dower), lets get a big that seals the deal. Remember the kid from Illinous(SP), that can score from inside and out! Why can't we recruit a young man like that??? I think you'll like a combination of Kelly, Sam, Ryan and Karnowski.

I love love one NFL team that keeps me hanging every year, just as the Zags. Huh?

The program is beyond, the glass slipper, Butler proved that point! Huh?

Do we want the program to just compete or truly contend? Geez, St Mary's has caught up just in 2-3 years. (See -- were you a math major? Have difficulty counting?)

It's heart breaking to me too know GU is just a contender, the magic slipper is gone, the nation sees it, the mystic is gone.... Huh?

Heck, Murray State at last glance is unbeaten....great game coming up with St. Mary's Huh? I think there are a few teams (including GU) that would be undefeated if they played the 269th most difficult schedule in NCAA D1. That's the reason 18-4 Gonzaga's RPI is 25, and undefeated Murray State's RPI is 38.

What I'm trying to say here is, don't tease us as fans...don't have aprogram that says "we can win it" when in actuality we're just average! Huh?

Recruit good kids yes, but kids that allow us to win it all. Huh?

IS D. Stockton that kid, nope a legacy yes..but creates me heartburn all the same. Huh?

I love GU basketball, but winning "In my mind" is what it boils down too! Too bad the Zags have disappointed you.

We can't have the program that lives in our past success, that has past long ago! Huh?
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                  Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                  • Feb 2007

GJ Vilarino? Really? Please.

This season he's played in 19 of Appalachian State's 22 games, starting 5 games (but none recently).

He's averaging 3.4 points a game. But he puts in a lot of effort to get those three points as he's shooting .347 from the field and .125 on threes (2/16). His best percentage is at the free throw line: .467 (14/30). 33 assists to 31 turnovers.
                  You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

schadenfreude?

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
                    GJ Vilarino? Really? Please.

This season he's played in 19 of Appalachian State's 22 games, starting 5 games (but none recently).

He's averaging 3.4 points a game. But he puts in a lot of effort to get those three points as he's shooting .347 from the field and .125 on threes (2/16). His best percentage is at the free throw line: .467 (14/30). 33 assists to 31 turnovers.

schadenfreude, pontiff? kidding. i didnt know he was that awful. those are sub meech numbers. gibbs is doing better, i think. kids get overrecruited, thts the message.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                      Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      schadenfreude, pontiff? kidding. i didnt know he was that awful. those are sub meech numbers. gibbs is doing better, i think. kids get overrecruited, thts the message.
                      No Schadenfreude. GU had a left over scholarship and need. The kid is an incredible athlete. GU gave it a shot. It was pretty clear from early on that it wasn't going to work.
                      You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• DZ
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2007

Bwahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Funny, funny, funny Post.

Agree with Angelo.

If you want a great big man who plays outside in for the next two years, I think there is one, can't think of his name, I actually think I saw him recently, he had a bow tie on and he HAS to have some interest in us b/c he was on our BENCH. If he was playing HS ball in California or Wyoming, he would be a four-five star.

Oh God, the HUMANITY - LETS give up men's BB and go ALL IN in men's Water Polo, or even better, men's surfing. Because I don't know why Few hates 5 star kids also. He must hate Bell.
                        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                        Mark Twain.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

Hey GU........

Not really sure what to say, except that you just don't get it. Previous poster's have tried to enlighten you and, hopefully, you start to get it now. ZAG basketball is about more than wins, about more than living up to someone's misguided expectations regarding 18-22 year old young men.

The comment that shows me just how far away you are from "getting it", is the one about SMC having caught the ZAGS in 2-3 years. Sure, they currently have a better overall and conference record than the ZAGS, but stretch yourself a little and look back over the last decade and beyond, then look yourself in the mirror and try to say that again without laughing.

What the ZAGS have built over the last decade and beyond has yet to be approached, let alone duplicated. Maybe the streak(s) end this year, maybe not. Regardless, the ZAGS aren't going away. The future continues to be bright, along with the present.

Hop aboard, it's a great ride.............

Go ZAGS

Comment

• willandi
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                            Bwahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Funny, funny, funny Post.

Agree with Angelo.

If you want a great big man who plays outside in for the next two years, I think there is one, can't think of his name, I actually think I saw him recently, he had a bow tie on and he HAS to have some interest in us b/c he was on our BENCH. If he was playing HS ball in California or Wyoming, he would be a four-five star.

Oh God, the HUMANITY - LETS give up men's BB and go ALL IN in men's Water Polo, or even better, men's surfing. Because I don't know why Few hates 5 star kids also. He must hate Bell.
                            Totally agree. I was thinking that Gonzaga should give up Men's B'Ball, it stresses the masses too much! I do think that if we added men's snow surfing, we, along with BYU, would certainly be considered the favorites, after all, we at least get snow!
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Vanzagger
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

dead money

if you walk into a poker room, most people these days no how to play solid hold'em. The thing is only 15% of the people you are looking at make any money long term.

Our problem the Final Four is the "Final Table" and Few looks like dead money. Why in the hell did he think Kentucky's new coach did not want GJ?

Go ahead Tom Hudson, Toby????, ESPN announcers, keep encouraging Few when he puts out a "kiddie" line up which he loves to do. Dead $

Look at Stockton's +/- the last 2 games. We have the talent and the length this year. What a waste. Oh well, we can tell bad beat stories and talk about next year.

Hey, even if you guys are satisfied with being lumped into the 85% of losing players who pay the house and then some, it's still fun and you will still win some hands. I promise to try harder to stop raining on your parade. Winning 80% of the time is not even possible in poker
                              Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

Working...
                              X