PDA

View Full Version : Meehan's Day After BYU

CDC84
02-03-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2012/feb/03/day-after-byu/#more

Kevin Pangos (0 of 3 last night) has made 3 of his last 20 3-pointers in the last five games. He was 2 of 2 from distance against San Diego, 1 of 18 in the other four games.

Baldwinzag
02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
thanks for the link, CD to the C.

I feel the freshman fatigue is setting in. He's been playing quite a few minutes the entire season and the leg lift in his shot has been lagging -- he's been "flipping" more with his arms, forcing a quicker yet less stable release, and his jump has lessened the last few wks.

Just watch the videos from games in December 'til now...his arc, spin, set-up looks the same, yet his lift has diminished and his release is quicker, which I'm sure is a by-product of being overanalyzed in practice. Sometimes Coaches tend to over coach frosh a bit down the stretch when things are better left-to-be.

Pangos shot looks slightly different, yet making all the difference.

ps. besides the reeling effort on the road, Pangos' shot(or lack thereof) is the primary reason for our sudden change in offense. Others haven't been able to fill his perimeter-shooting shoes...w/o him hitting a shot or two per game we become more predictable than last season given the athletic short-comings as well at PG.

U Zig, I Zag
02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
He looked most comfortable shooting that semi-flat footed way against WSU (obviously, he hit 9 of them). He looked to me that he was shooting maybe a bit as he was still rising. It wasn't a 2-stage shot like lots of guys do nowadays where they use their boosters (legs) to get way up and then release. Kevin is probably as effective from deep when he is completely flat-footed as when he gets his little lift.

To me, as of late anyway, it looks like his is leaning forward into the shot? Plus he is kicking a leg sometimes... MM, who is usually a dead eye practically jumps sideways on his shot, usually it works... :(

Zag79
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
thanks for the link, CD to the C.

I feel the freshman fatigue is setting in. He's been playing quite a few minutes the entire season and the leg lift in his shot has been lagging -- he's been "flipping" more with his arms, forcing a quicker yet less stable release, and his jump has lessened the last few wks.

Just watch the videos from games in December 'til now...his arc, spin, set-up looks the same, yet his lift has diminished and his release is quicker, which I'm sure is a by-product of being overanalyzed in practice. Sometimes Coaches tend to over coach frosh a bit down the stretch when things are better left-to-be.

Pangos shot looks slightly different, yet making all the difference.

ps. besides the reeling effort on the road, Pangos' shot(or lack thereof) is the primary reason for our sudden change in offense. Others haven't been able to fill his perimeter-shooting shoes...w/o him hitting a shot or two per game we become more predictable than last season given the athletic short-comings as well at PG.

This. I've said all along Carter needs more PT for two reasons, to give GBJ and KP a rest and for the simple fact the kid can play. The addition of MC back into the lineup might help change this down the homestretch.

surfmonkey89
02-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Both of BYU's starting guards last night were freshmen as well. Maybe the vafer-thin air reduces fatigue.

bballbeachbum
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Both of BYU's starting guards last night were freshmen as well. Maybe the vafer-thin air reduces fatigue.

good point. they were playing at home though. if the same occurs in Spokane, well, let's just say I hope it's different in Spokane.

Baseline
02-03-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't buy the fatigue. Yes, he has played a lot of minutes, but he should be fresh at the start of the game and be hitting them and then fade as the game progresses. He is 18, fatigue shouldn't be that big a deal with a day or 2 of rest.
I think the kid is just over trying and thinking too much, he needs to relax and have fun.

Naph
02-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Don't underestimate the difference that your opponents having tape on him makes.

At the start of the season teams will have been keying on limiting Harris and Sacre. They would have known that you had guards that needed guarding, but only in a general sense. As the season has gone on and his success has continued he will be getting more and more attention from opponent's scouts. They'll start trying to take away his favorite spots and moves. He's a good player, he'll get past this.

VinnyZag
02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Meehan referenced that it took Few most of the game to find a solution at the 3. Any opinions about who starts today? Do they stick with Edi, or does he go back to Hart or Carter?

bballbeachbum
02-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Meehan referenced that it took Few most of the game to find a solution at the 3. Any opinions about who starts today? Do they stick with Edi, or does he go back to Hart or Carter?

maybe the top option has been there from the beginning? I don't know. Even those high flying LMU teams had a guy like Tom Peabody as an ingredient. will be interested to see tonight what Few does

one thing for sure...every one of those options needs to be ready to go when called...focused, psyched to kick ass, and ready to go

Baldwinzag
02-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Have a feeling Hart gets the nod tonight(or Carter w/the right match-up). Personally, I'd be disappointed if either of the above didn't start the game and 2nd half over Edi.

Guy is a threat, no doubt, yet he's incapable of RUNNING the offense. He does the individual stuff well i.e. slash, shoot, score, dunk, rebound, defend man2man, etc; however, the moment he tries to run through sets or options, it all falls apart. He dribbles when he shouldn't, doesn't dribble when he should, makes a poor pass, bad decision, loses track of where he's supposed to be on the floor after the initial swing...its a train wreck for our offense. He made two critical errors vs BYU that allowed the game go from 2 pts down to 8 in a snap. There were two ugly TO's in less than 45 secs that really killed our rally and gave all the momentum to BYU with steals. It wasn't a coincidence he didn't see the floor again the rest of the way...

GLE may know the plays, but he doesn't know how to execute the plays with pressure around him. This is led to our entire offense being rough, not the reason for the missed shots, yet the guards have missed entire run through screens b/c Edi floated on the perimeter and didn't cut and take his man with him.

Listen, we all want, including the Coaches for Edi to flourish this season and become the X-factor at the 3, as he's the perfect size, build, game, prototype for a College SF, yet he's making way to many mistakes and not just bad passes, its the other stuff, the unforced errors causing the problems.

As far as this season is concerned, he's better suited as playing an off-the-bench enforcer for us. 5-10 mins of hustle, defense, strength, rebounds, a key dunk, etc.

I actually feel Spangler could help vs WCC teams down the stretch as well, yet that's a different topic..

Having said all that, I sincerely believe Edi is the type of player/prospect who could really explode given an entire off-season to work with Gonzaga, Coaches, play-books, drills (no Ivory Coast stuff)...remember he didn't show up last season 'til late August and was unable to practice w/team until September. He has all the tools, just not enough to sacrifice our offensive flow starting out games and especially critical moments to begin 2nd halves ---

JPtheBeasta
02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
My vote is for Hart at the 3. We have been coming out flat and he possesses energy that nobody else does. Set the tone early, I say. He played good minutes in the BYU game, and has been a forgotten guy to some extent. I still like Landry's skillset, but it hasn't translated into the floor as much as I had hoped. Throw Carter in if the ball movement is stagnant or we are having problems with a press.

Ezag
02-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I think it will be Hart or Carter. Edi just not there yet

Vanzagger
02-04-2012, 10:33 AM

I would not put anything past him. Reactive as they come.

1-18 in the other four games for Pangos. Two of those were on ESPN. Both games the announcers said it was smart of Few to move Pangos off ball(out of position) when Stockton came in.

How much more wrong could they have been? Yikes.

VinnyZag
02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
My vote is for Hart at the 3. We have been coming out flat and he possesses energy that nobody else does.

That's a good point about energy at the outset. Maybe that has something to do with why they've been starting so flat in the first half the past couple weeks.

This sounds obvious as I type it, but a lot depends on how the other team plays Hart. A surprising number of teams have played him straight-up, as if he's as much an offensive threat as anybody else on the team. When they do that, Hart operates just fine and the starters operate better as a unit with him in there.

But when they give him the PMac-Meech treatment, and we're playing 4-on-5, it's a problem. But, a lot of teams don't seem to have much of a scout on him.

bballbeachbum
02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't buy the fatigue. Yes, he has played a lot of minutes, but he should be fresh at the start of the game and be hitting them and then fade as the game progresses. He is 18, fatigue shouldn't be that big a deal with a day or 2 of rest.
I think the kid is just over trying and thinking too much, he needs to relax and have fun.

what about mental fatigue? emotional fatigue? isn't that what the typical freshman wall thing is about, at least as much as anything physical? can't see how being 18 helps him there, and actually your last statement I agree with but would say it is a direct result of emotional and mental fatigue as a freshman.

Kevin can still catch his second wind, not a crazy a stretch of possibility. we'll see.

Mars
02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Don't underestimate the difference that your opponents having tape on him makes.
This.

BYU is experiencing the same drop-off from freshman point guard Matt Carlino. Games get harder when the other team can break you down on tape and put into place a strong anti-You game plan.