PDA

View Full Version : Relax. Don't worry. Just get in.

Zagobserver
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I post here rarely, but thought I'd add something after last night. As I've noted before, I'm a Notre Dame grad/fan who also happens to love the Zags (except for Nov. 30th 2011) for family reasons.

I don't see too much gnashing of teeth here. But, as someone who has to deal with a team who has a smallish real fan base and a much larger group of football fans that pretend to like basketball when it's convenient and then call for our 3-time (and soon to be 4-time) BEast coach of the year's head without knowing wtf they're talking about the rest of the time, I'm here to encourage you to relax.

The perception of the WCC has changed. Not even we East Coasters who can only watch a half of an 11 pm game can dismiss it as a Low-level conference that has one good team. It's much more like the MWC and MVC now in the eyes of outsiders. The bad part of being a "big boys" conference (I don't mean that derogotarily, just using it for simplicity's sake) is that you can't show up, play poorly and still win. The good part is that you don't have to go undefeated to make the tournament..and you don't have to be undefeated to be a good team. Gonzaga used to be able to sleep walk through two months of the season and show up in March. They'll be battle- tested much more recently this year...and that should benefit you.

You guys looked like crap last night. I wish you would've on November 30th, but you didn't. It happens. And, as noted, when it happens against a decent team, you lose..and sometimes do so spectacularly. But losing when you play like crap (even two of them on the road) doesn't mean you need wholesale changes. And thankfully, Gonzaga has earned enough cred to use the regular season (not just the pre-season) to get ready for the tournament, rather than a de facto single elimination tournament in itself. And, now that the WCC is getting more cred, losses like this aren't "bad losses." You don't even need to beat SMC @GU to get in, in my opinion. Just hold serve against BYU at home (which you will) and the rest of the WCC (which you should barring a lapse) and you'll be right where you want to..entering the tournament as an off the radar seed, with a team that can beat anyone in the country if it shows up to play.

Until then, thank every one of us "real" ND fans for turning our season around (I posted on here after our game, that I sincerely doubted we'd win a BEast game this year...but Jack Cooley has made me into a fool) and becoming your best win (I can't believe I just typed that) and hope we pull off a few more ugly game miracles. (ou don't really need to, I just like thinking about us turning our season around)

GU has tons of talent and can match up with a lot of different types of teams...they just need to show up. Here's to hoping last night was the last time they don't.

raise the zag
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
GU has tons of talent and can match up with a lot of different types of teams...they just need to show up. Here's to hoping last night was the last time they don't.

Great post, thanks for the offering your 'observations'. Spot on.

Here lies the problem -- we haven't been ready to compete when other teams are going all-in and giving it their best shot. We play in spurts and our body language has been horrid in the biggest of games. Not valuing possessions, lack of hustle, heart, grit, spotty defensive effort at best...all this on the biggest stages & opportunities. Coaches trying to 'change it up' when things should have been settled by New Years(and I thought they were). The recent trend of zero composure, poise, purpose in clutch games tells me we're a one 'n done team in the NCAA and really are playing like a NIT team at the moment or worse. We are simply not rising to the challenge and other teams are -- first time in a long while I can say we deserved to lose the game, and may the conference. We've seen Championship teams worthy of a championship and these players aren't playing like they want IT. Very disturbing, especially this time of year. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we're not even the Runner-up in the WCC this season...sh!tty effort, play, & coaching this WCC season.

Zagobserver
02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
I think all of those are valid points. I guess my point is that, while I certainly understand the concerns, all that matters is if that focus comes together at the end of the year. It's really, really hard to win games against good teams on the road...especially if they're in hostile environments.

Now I know the WCC isn't the BEast (but I'm going to use it since that's what I'm familiar with). Last year, when it was arguably one of the best conferences of all time, teams were 71-101 in road games. Consider UConn, who won the NC, was only 5-5 in road BEast road games. And most of those losses weren't pretty (Pitt by 15, ND by 3, St. Johns by 17, Louisville by 13, and WVU by 9). Their best road wins were Marquette by 8, Cinncnnati by 8 and an OOC against Texas by 1 in OT.

Again, I know looking at the results, things weren't pretty last night, and I won't say that you're the quality of a team that UConn was, but my point is that stuff falls apart on the road against decent teams, and they have for GU. Hold court at home, beat bad teams on the road...and hope that it comes together in March.

gamagin
02-03-2012, 02:30 PM
I think all of those are valid points. I guess my point is that, while I certainly understand the concerns, all that matters is if that focus comes together at the end of the year. It's really, really hard to win games against good teams on the road...especially if they're in hostile environments.

Now I know the WCC isn't the BEast (but I'm going to use it since that's what I'm familiar with). Last year, when it was arguably one of the best conferences of all time, teams were 71-101 in road games. Consider UConn, who won the NC, was only 5-5 in road BEast road games. And most of those losses weren't pretty (Pitt by 15, ND by 3, St. Johns by 17, Louisville by 13, and WVU by 9). Their best road wins were Marquette by 8, Cinncnnati by 8 and an OOC against Texas by 1 in OT.

Again, I know looking at the results, things weren't pretty last night, and I won't say that you're the quality of a team that UConn was, but my point is that stuff falls apart on the road against decent teams, and they have for GU. Hold court at home, beat bad teams on the road...and hope that it comes together in March.

excellent perspective. thanks.