• CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

BYU/LMU just one game back of Gonzaga in the WCC standings

SMC = 11-0
    GU = 7-2
    BYU = 7-3
    LMU = 7-3

It goes without saying that Gonzaga, even if they beat SMC next Thursday, is going to need another WCC opponent to knock off the Gaels in order to get a share of the regular season league title. And even then Gonzaga would probably need to win out to do such a thing.

The bigger concern for me right now is that BYU and LMU are just 1 game back of GU in the WCC standings. While it would be a bummer to see SMC put an end to GU's conference winning streak, it would be even more of a bummer to see the Zags finish in 3rd or 4th place and have to play 3 games in 3 days in the WCC tournament.

I don't want to have to beat LMU, BYU and SMC to win the conference tournament. Getting the double bye is a huge deal. Also, if they don't get a double bye, it will be an indication that they have lost some games that could severely hurt their at large seeding or even their at large chances.

The good news is that the three toughest remaining games on their schedule are at K2: SMC, BYU and LMU. If this team coughs up a fur ball at Pepperdine, Santa Clara, USF, or USD, they have no excuses. They just can't do that at this point.
  • 229SintoZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
    SMC = 11-0
    GU = 7-2
    BYU = 7-3
    LMU = 7-3

It goes without saying that Gonzaga, even if they beat SMC next Thursday, is going to need another WCC opponent to knock off the Gaels in order to get a share of the regular season league title. And even then Gonzaga would probably need to win out to do such a thing.

The bigger concern for me right now is that BYU and LMU are just a game back of GU in the WCC standings. While it would be a bummer to see SMC put an end to GU's conference winning streak, it would be even more of a bummer to see the Zags finish in 3rd or 4th place and have to play 3 games in 3 days in the WCC tournament.

I don't want to have to beat LMU, BYU and SMC to win the conference tournament. Getting the double bye is a huge deal. Also, if they don't get a double bye, it will be an indication that they have lost some games that could severely hurt their at large seeding or even their at large chances.

The good news is that the three toughest remaining games on their schedule are at K2: SMC, BYU and LMU. If this team coughs up a fur ball at Pepperdine, Santa Clara, USF, or USD, they have no excuses. They just can't do that at this point.
    Gonzaga cannot afford any more losses between now and Vegas.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

They need to beat St. Mary's on Thursday. It's a top 25 RPI win at this point. I'm looking at that more than winning the league at this point.

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I look forward eagerly

to the zags facing these challenges, growing into their roles, maturing and emerging as a whole new team with spirit and vigor ready to make a trip to the dance.

If it doesn't happen, it's because they haven't grown enough in their roles yet. But the talent, the promise and the opportunities to control our own destiny going forward -- this year or in the future -- are right there at our fingertips and between our ears.
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• raise the zag
          Zag for Life
          • May 2011

This season could turn on us in a hurry -- either way. NCAA is no lock either.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. You can tell BYU wants it, LMU too...

Will the Zags quit trying to LOOK like they're better, more composed, too cool for school, and actually PLAY like they want it and make it happen.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I don't get it

We need more of the GU team that we saw play Notre Dame, Arizona, and Xavier, and less of the GU team we've seen since the first SMC loss.

Take care of the ball, hustle, block out, set screens, actually run our offense, etc.

Comment

• 77Zag
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2007

There is now certainly a fine line between Friday night and Saturday for Vegas.

BEAT PEPPERDINE FIRST

Go Zags!
              “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• Zag79
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                They need to beat St. Mary's on Thursday. It's a top 25 RPI win at this point. I'm looking at that more than winning the league at this point.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Also

Don't look now, but at this point in the season, GU has only one top 50 RPI win, and that is a precarious one at that (Xavier at RPI 48).

Notre Dame or Oral Roberts could squeak back into the top 50 with runs, but other than that (which is not necessarily likely and which we have no control over) our only chances for top 50 RPI wins come with the home games against BYU and St. Marys.

The good thing is that we have no bad losses, as all of our losses are to teams currently in the top 50 of the RPI. But it would sure be nice to have a couple more top 50 RPI wins, at least, to go along with the "no bad losses" part of our resume.

The St. Marys and BYU home games are HUGE. And not laying an egg against anyone else is also critical at this point.

GU is at 20 in the RPI right now and that bodes well for our position if we can just avoid bad losses and get those critical RPI wins.

Comment

• Vanzagger
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

yes

beat Pep.

Maybe not being the fav to win league will loosen everybody up and we can just go play. The silver lining, we are deep enough to win 3 or 4 in Vegas. Uconn showed everybody something last year.
                    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• raise the zag
                      Zag for Life
                      • May 2011

don't want to be a debbie-downer here, yet have feeling we're going to be playing on Friday night in Vegas. For those booking your tickets early, be prepared and plan accordingly.

Comment

• ZagnetitForce
                        Kennel Club
                        • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=CDC84;738356]The bigger concern for me right now is that BYU and LMU are just 1 game back of GU in the WCC standings. While it would be a bummer to see SMC put an end to GU's conference winning streak, it would be even more of a bummer to see the Zags finish in 3rd or 4th place and have to play 3 games in 3 days in the WCC tournament.

-------------------------------------------------------

Actually they would have to win 3 games in 4 days as Sunday is a day off but I am with you there as well. Just got my tix in the mail yesterday and will be there Friday but I was hopingfor that to be more of a "settle in" day then game day. Just win out and all will be right in the world.

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

The good thing is that we have no bad losses, as all of our losses are to teams currently in the top 50 of the RPI. But it would sure be nice to have a couple more top 50 RPI wins, at least, to go along with the "no bad losses" part of our resume.
                          This continues to be the most underrated part of the tournament selection and seeding process. Who you lose to counts. Teams have been excluded from the field despite possessing multiple top 25 RPI wins. It's meaningless if you lose too many games, and especially if you lose those games to poor teams.

It also explains why Gonzaga got a 2 seed in 2004 despite only having one RPI top 50 win.

Comment

Working...
                          X