• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pig
    Redshirt
    • Jan 2012

Cool Aid.....

Ok this is a place for those without rose colored glasses to voice thier opinions. So please do. First, I am die hard zag fan and love this program. But some people need to really stop over hyping what we have done and how good our players are

1. We play in the Who Cares Conference. Only recently have we even had two solid teams that could play with other big programs. That being said coach few's winning percentage is based mostly on playing sub-par or less opponents. He gets thoroughly outcoached against quality opponents time and time again. Good coach but not great. Like him but don't love him.

2. Sacre and Elias will never see the NBA. They can't dominate in the WCC, no NBA team will take them with a lottery pick. They put up good numbers against decent to sub par teams, however every game against big competition we all ask the question as to whete they were. I won't go into thier attributes as a player but that is clear as well.

3. We need some ATHLETIC length to truly be a top 15 team. I love stocks and pangs but they can't create thier own shot and both get abused by big and quick point guards. Until we get an answer for this the good haired are going to eat us alive and other coaches know it. It's no because if effort though.

4. Having spoke with current and former players, many don't buy into or really like coach few. They all speak highly of assistants etc, but bit him. If the team doesent like or respect your game plan it is obvious when they play like they did. Play the best players, regardless of age!

5. Go zags! I will always be at every home game and be a solid fan, but i won't do so with rise colored glasses.
  • Zag@LMU
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2011

Well said. Games like last night are becoming the norm instead of the exception, and some people dont want to seem to accept that fact.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• awberke
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Jan 2010

Kool Aid. Spelled with a K.

Comment

• Pig
        Redshirt
        • Jan 2012

Nah I like cool aid. Lol

Comment

• bartruff1
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2010

Great idea...where people of a like mind can come and share their opinions. Bless you.

Comment

• jpwils
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2007

Stop ragging on Few

Coaches don't commit turnovers.

Coaches can't control who gets sick or hurt. Coaches don't shoot threes or free throws.

As poor as we played in the first half, we actually won the second half.

Harris had an off game for him.

Pangos and Bell are freshmen. Edi has been with us for a few live games now.

Carter and Stockton had decent games, as did Dower in the 2nd half.

Who cares if players don't" like" something or a coach? Did you like being told what to do and when to do it when you were 19?? Since when is coaching a popularity contest??

Few would say some of the same things about our competition but won't because he needs to be complimentary about the WCC.

This is definitely a time when the leaders of this team need to insure we get our oars going in the same direction, though.

Comment

• ZagHouse
              Kennel Club
              • Jan 2009

I've always been a Crystal Light fan myself. And, what does making it to the NBA have anything to do with? If they make it great, if they don't I'm sure they'll go on and do what many of our other players have done...which is play basketball if they can and if not pursue other endeavors. The players we have are the players we have. Do you have any idea how many D1 schools are competing for players?

I get the arguments about Few, but to say he is inept or players don't like him is a bit much after our fourth loss. The reason players stay and want to be assistants or travel back to Spokane to help out can't just be a reflection of the assistant coaches--especially since two integral ones are now coaching elsewhere. Last time I checked a coach doen't have to a player's buddy. Yet your argument would insinuate that the reason the team layed harder in the second half is because they like Tommy Lloyd. I won't stop you from venting and continuing to eat your sour grapes, but ask BYU what they think of our "Who Cares Conference."

And if your the same guy that sits two rows behind me, and complains the whole time...why do you come to the games if you hate the team so much?

Comment

• Zag79
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I agree Few is a good coach, wouldn't want anyone else. To's, missed threes, etc aren't his fault either. That being said... The rotation, the game plan, all of that is up to coach and last night he was as clueless as the players. There's a point in the game where you have to tell GBJ to stop hucking up terrible shots and floaters. There's a point where you need to realize Noah is going off and we need a great defender on him. When you have the opposition in the bonus early into the second half, you keep attacking the paint. At times it looked like a rec league game, players just running around doing whatever with no plan in mind. I thought last night was poorly played and coached, plenty of blame to go around. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to our rotation, all too often a guy doesn't play for three games then comes in for a huge game like BYU. Tighten the rotation, it should have been done already. Go to our best players more, the shots are too spread out. We need to decide who our best players are and ride them the rest of the year. I excited for the rest of the season, we get a chance to turn all this around and hit March in stride.

Comment

• Zag@LMU
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2011

Just a small point, but we didnt have a single dunk last night. Where are our athletes?

Comment

• Zag
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Jan 2012

I keep reading that Coach's game plan was sub-par. Can anyone specifically say what was wrong with the game plan that contributed to the loss? I thought it was the lack of execution of the game plan that was the problem. (ie. turnovers, poor help defense, ect.) To be the plan was fine, but maybe I'm not clear what the specific critiques are.

Comment

• Zag
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Zag@LMU View Post
                      Just a small point, but we didnt have a single dunk last night. Where are our athletes?
                      Sacre and Harris missed drunks that were blocked. I don't think that makes them unathletic.

Comment

• Zag@LMU
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by ZagHouse View Post

And if your the same guy that sits two rows behind me, and complains the whole time...why do you come to the games if you hate the team so much?
                        if you're the type of part that has kids and then criticize them when they have shortcomings, why did you have kids if you hate them so much?

Just because you complain about the way your team is playing doesn't mean you "hate" them.

Comment

• jim77
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Pig View Post
                          Ok this is a place for those without rose colored glasses to voice thier opinions. So please do. First, I am die hard zag fan and love this program. But some people need to really stop over hyping what we have done and how good our players are

1. We play in the Who Cares Conference. Only recently have we even had two solid teams that could play with other big programs. That being said coach few's winning percentage is based mostly on playing sub-par or less opponents. He gets thoroughly outcoached against quality opponents time and time again. Good coach but not great. Like him but don't love him.

2. Sacre and Elias will never see the NBA. They can't dominate in the WCC, no NBA team will take them with a lottery pick. They put up good numbers against decent to sub par teams, however every game against big competition we all ask the question as to whete they were. I won't go into thier attributes as a player but that is clear as well.

3. We need some ATHLETIC length to truly be a top 15 team. I love stocks and pangs but they can't create thier own shot and both get abused by big and quick point guards. Until we get an answer for this the good haired are going to eat us alive and other coaches know it. It's no because if effort though.

4. Having spoke with current and former players, many don't buy into or really like coach few. They all speak highly of assistants etc, but bit him. If the team doesent like or respect your game plan it is obvious when they play like they did. Play the best players, regardless of age!

5. Go zags! I will always be at every home game and be a solid fan, but i won't do so with rise colored glasses.
                          1. The WCC is a good conference this year..period.

2.They play for GU right now. Worry about that later.

3.Length has hurt us...inexperience has too. But, we have the players we have. How do we win with what we have? (I like all 3 pg's) They need the other guys to help them out more. Why is it that they can throw 2 guys at our PG and we don't make them pay? Because the other guys are stuck in the mud...except Hart, who acted as a safety valve before....he does come to the ball in those situations. In fact, he NEVER just stands around. We need our bigs coming out and helping also...we need to create more space and movement is the way to do it. We need to make other teams to pay for blanketing our guards. The flex needs to flex more...we got the depth to outwork other teams.

4.Coaching isn't a popularity contest...the guy wins.

Comment

• ZagHouse
                            Kennel Club
                            • Jan 2009

As a parent, I would never criticize my children and any of their shortcomings with the same vitriol that is frequently espoused on this board. My point was that while this team and coaching staff deserves some criticism, too many take it to the extreme without any ounce of perspective.

As to the gentleman who sits behind me at games...his attitude remains conistent even when we have 20 point leads.

Comment

• zag944
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I am disappointed with the response that several posts bringing up legitimate concerns on this board in general are met with sarcastic and dismissive "well maybe we just just fire Mark Few and hire Tom Izzo" type responses.

Most of us that are fairly worried that this team really has their backs against the love having Few as a coach. But he isnt flawless and he doesnt do things perfectly (no one does). No one here is a D1 coach, but that doesnt mean there arent plenty of basketball smart people that notice things. Personally, I find it kind of theraputic to read the better of these posts (ie the ones that arent mean spirited to our players or staff) after a tough loss, when I dont feel like "everything is fine".

Im not as worried as the original poster on this thread (I think the WCC is getting more respect this year than he thinks, and that Few is more bought into than he suggests), but Im all for the spirit of taking off the rose colored glasses. The boys got a lot of work to do, so lets go out and beat Pepperdine tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X