PDA

View Full Version : Myron Medcalf's "Hype Machine"

GoGU
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
LINK (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7526939/the-hype-machine-red-flag-hoops-draymond-green-toughness-college-basketball)

Of particular note:

… Saint Mary's will finally dethrone Gonzaga in the WCC (BELIEVE THE HYPE) … Murray State will suffer its first lost during its BracketBusters matchup with the Gaels (DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE).

Doesn't sound right to me. I think Medcalf is trying to save face here. I know he picked BYU to win the conference at the start of the year, but regardless of who he has picked to win, he has maintained that Gonzaga will fall this year. I am willing to accept that as a valid (but not necessarily correct) argument most of the time, but what is different about this one is that he says Gonzaga will lose to St. Mary's, and St. Mary's will lose to Murray State in the BracketBusters game. Murray State, though undefeated, hasn't played anybody relevant (with the exception of Memphis, who they beat in a shootout), and certainly hasn't been playing in a conference where the top 3 teams own most of the wins. St. Mary's beat us because they're hotter than Hades right now and we just didn't show up to play. I find it insulting that Medcalf implies that Murray State could beat Gonzaga without difficulty.

Myron Medcalf: DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE

OK, rant over. I'm just not ready to give up on this team yet. While I don't usually take much stock in what the ESPN talking heads have to say, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

P.S. Andy Katz, please write more Gonzaga articles ;)

GoGU
02-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Sorry guys and gals. Just read my thread, and realized how conspiracy-theory-ish it sounded. I promise it wasn't a troll thread, I just was throwing all my thoughts on the page, and my filter wasn't working very well.

sittingon50
02-01-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure Myron has reached the credibility threshold yet, on a national level. He may; we shall see.

Ezag
02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Myron who?

awberke
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Lets not just say SMC is hot right now. Let's say they are a good team.

zagzilla
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
If I was a national writer without any emotional investment in the WCC race, I would probably make the same call.

SMC is the smart horse to bet on. They are 3-0 in the GU/BYU/SMC round robin that will decide the WCC crown with double digit wins in all the games played to date. BYU is out of the running and GU has to win all 3 head to head games just to tie.

Of course SMC was the smart bet at this time last season and we all know how that turned out :-)

Go Zags,

ZZ

primal23
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Can't say I disagree with Medcalf. A L today would pretty much crown SMC, they aren't going to lose in conference, only one the "might" be able to is GU.

JPtheBeasta
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Is Myron Medcalf's "Hype Machine" the early nineties dance show J-Lo caught her first break on?

007Zag
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Just for clarity's sake, I'm pretty sure he's saying that Murray State will lose to the Gaels. There's no implication that Murray State is better than GU, because, in his opinion Murray State < SMC > GU. He can't (and didn't) say (or imply) if GU or Murray State is greater based on that.