PDA

View Full Version : Few Texts Support to Kyle Stanley

Angelo Roncalli
01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Kyle Stanley has never met Mark Few, who coaches the Gonzaga men's basketball team.

But Stanley, who grew up in Gig Harbor, Wash., says he has been a Bulldogs fan since he was 3 feet tall. Even now, after he went to college at Clemson, "I live and die with every game they play," he admitted. "I try not to miss any of them."

That's why the text he received from Few on Sunday night mean so much. The words were simple: "He just told me to keep my head up and that I played tough, and that down the road I'm going to be stronger for it," Stanley recalled.

Few's sentiment was indicative of the outpouring of support Stanley has received since he squandered a three-stroke advantage on the 72nd hole and lost the Farmers Insurance Open in a playoff with Brandt Snedeker.

http://www.pgatour.com/2012/tournaments/r003/01/31/stanley-phoenix-ross/

rijman
01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
That's great. I was watching the tournament and kind of rooting for Kyle then on his 9th hole of the final round the announcers report Kyle is a Zag fan. Now I'm a bigger fan of Kyle's. Like I said in another thread, I hope he wins soon, like Rory did in the US Open following his Masters collapse.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Kyle is my new fave PGA golfer. He's got a hell of a swing.

sittingon50
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
If his golf schedule allows, Few needs to get him in K2 for SMC or BYU.

montanazag88
01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Mark should have told him to keep his head "down."

GrizZAG
02-01-2012, 02:24 AM
+1

Griz 72

cjm720
02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Mark should have told him to keep his head "down."

He must not be a golfer! LOL....

NotoriousZ
02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Can't wait to see him play. Maybe he could fit a GU logo somewhere on his outfit? Better yet, we could be one of his sponsers. And by we, I mean those of us with money...not me...yet--still banking on that lotto win!

GoZags
02-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I've been on the Kyle Stanley bandwagon for awhile now (and was disappointed in the finish on Sunday). About 9 months ago legendary British broadcaster Ben Wright was being interviewed, and from out of nowhere he mentioned that Kyle Stanley will win multiple majors in his career -- and that he has the best tools of any young golfer on tour. Pretty heady stuff for a guy that (at the time) wasn't in the Top 50.

I'm fortunate in that I get to 8-10 PGA Tour events/ Majors, etc. a year -- and have had a chance to follow Kyle a bit. He seems like a great guy -- and while he didn't come through on Sunday -- I believe he's got an incredibly bright future.

I hope Kyle makes the cut this weekend down in Scottsdale -- if so, I plan to "shadow" his round on Saturday. I missed him last week at Torrey Pines -- one of my favorite golf courses in the world (it was my Dad's 80th Birthday celebration).

KOzag08
02-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Let me just say ... Kyle is a great guy. I'm watching the Zag game with him tomorrow, here in Scottsdale. I don't know if he's more nervous for the WM Open or the BYU game.

LynetteG
02-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Let me just say ... Kyle is a great guy. I'm watching the Zag game with him tomorrow, here in Scottsdale. I don't know if he's more nervous for the WM Open or the BYU game.

Nice!! I am going to Scottsdale for golf school at the end of the month, CANNOT wait! :) (Actually school is in Chandler at Wild Horse Pass, but I am staying in Scottsdale). I just started golfing April last year and I am totally hooked! Felt SOO bad that he didn't win! He'll get them next time!

Lurknomore
02-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Make sure to tell him he has lots of new supporters here in Spokane. I am hoping he will do well this weekend.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Kyle making a charge in PHX. Tied for the lead w/ Spencer Levin.

Angelo Roncalli
02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Solid performance today to win the Phoenix. Amazing to come from the heartache of last week to be a champion today.

GoZags
02-05-2012, 02:20 PM
3rd greatest final round comeback in the history of professional golf. Started the day 8 shots back. Way to go, Kyle !!!

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Congrats to Kyle!! Nice bounce back and comeback!

sittingon50
02-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Great job, Kyle.

Dirt McGirt
02-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Kyle Stanley has hands of concrete and needs to stop bringing the ball lower than his shoulders. I think he's not playing that well because he just had a kid.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Kyle Stanley has hands of concrete and needs to stop bringing the ball lower than his shoulders. I think he's not playing that well because he just had a kid.

Well struck, Dirt. Touche.

rijman
02-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Mark Few helped coach Kyle to victory. What a great 2 weeks for him, apx $1.6M with 1st and 2nd place finishes. No one has beaten him in regulation the past 2 weeks. He secured spots in the Masters, FedEx Cup and next years opener in Hawaii. Having the ability to win this week after that devasting GU loss to BYU is amazing.

GoZags
02-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Mark Few helped coach Kyle to victory. What a great 2 weeks for him, apx $1.6M with 1st and 2nd place finishes. No one has beaten him in regulation the past 2 weeks. He secured spots in the Masters, FedEx Cup and next years opener in Hawaii. Having the ability to win this week after that devasting GU loss to BYU is amazing.

The two year exemption is also nice.

In one of his interviews after the win yesterday, Kyle also acknowledged how important it was for him to have a friend from Oklahoma and "7 buddies from Seattle" with him in Arizona. Something tells me that one of our own was a part of the "7 buddies" group.

All in all, a spectacular day for Kyle Stanley (even though it wasn't easy with several bigtime shots from trouble down the stretch).

Vanzagger
02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Kyle. What a great afternoon. I missed all the Bowl pre-game. The only thing I wanted to see was the Gleason piece. Youtube. Very cool and great publicity for the Zags and Coach.

rijman
02-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Good point. Playing in the Masters is a great thrill, but the 2 year exemption is more important. Kyle knows he has a spot locked up on tour for the next 2 years and with his great play the past 2 weeks he will be able to pick and choose his tournaments, which is a big deal for young players. A friend of mine who made it on tour had to play wherever they would let him in because of his low ranking. He was on standby quite often, so he didn't know when he would get to play and he certainly didn't get to choose the courses he preferred, like many of the vets do.

Maybe someone at GU should send Kyle a Zag headcover, I use em, but then no one watches me play.

229SintoZag
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I never met Kyle, but I worked at the same firm with his dad Matt Stanley when I got out of law school. Back then Kyle was "just a kid" who was tearing up the junior, and later H.S. level golf competition.

I am very excited for him. Torrey Pines was tough, but what a way to come back. Says a lot about what one golf analyst I heard called the "cut of his jib."

kclubfounder
02-06-2012, 03:50 PM
It is a cliche, but losing like he did last week and then winning like he did this week is a script that would be too unrealistic for Hollywood.

For me, as a Gig Harbor resident whose two true loves in sport are golf and Gonzaga basketball, having a Gig Harbor kid who LOVES Gonzaga and has exploded on the world golfing stage in this way is reminiscent of a sports event that occurred in March, 1999.

Yesterday was one of the great days in sports that I have experienced in a long time. Ironically, it happened on Super Bowl Sunday and had nothing to do with football.

mtzaga
02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Kyle moved from 87 to 52 in the World Golf Rankings. The top 50 get invites to the US Open, The Open Championship, the PGA, and the WGC events at Doral and Firestone. The top 64 get in the WGC Match Play in Tucson.

Kyle is the leading money winner, and #1 in Ryder Cup points.

sittingon50
02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
I didn't have any luck navigating the WIAA site & finding anything about Kyle's HS career at Bellarmine. Can anyone clue me in?

Did he play any other sports?

Also, any insight to his Zag love? I know that it has been mentioned on this site that there are/were a # of Zag's that are coaches/administration at Bellarmine.
Any insights would be appreciated.

Not a fan of Tiger so have lost interest in watching golf over the year's (loved Arnie, Player & Trevino & later Mac O'Grady!!) but think I might have a reason to get back into it.

kclubfounder
02-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I didn't have any luck navigating the WIAA site & finding anything about Kyle's HS career at Bellarmine. Can anyone clue me in?

Did he play any other sports?

Also, any insight to his Zag love? I know that it has been mentioned on this site that there are/were a # of Zag's that are coaches/administration at Bellarmine.
Any insights would be appreciated.

Not a fan of Tiger so have lost interest in watching golf over the year's (loved Arnie, Player & Trevino & later Mac O'Grady!!) but think I might have a reason to get back into it.

His "Zag love" is based on numerous comments by TV announcers that he is a huge fan. Then, after the horrific collapse last week, it was reported by several sources that Mark Few reached out to Kyle and advised him to use the catastrophe as a learning experience and to "keep his head up" (which is an ironic statement to make to a golfer).

It was then reported over and over again how much Kyle appreciated being contacted by coach Few.

Then Kyle won in remarkable fashion the very next week.

The end.

rennis
02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
and to "keep his head up" (which is an ironic statement to make to a golfer).

I LOL'd at that! hahaha...

I'm stoked Stanley is a Zag fan. I've been needing someone new to follow in golf. I'd love Jason Day if he wasn't Australian. If Jason Day was a basketball player, he'd play for SMC. I simply can't support a man like that.

;)

KOzag08
02-07-2012, 07:09 AM

In one of his interviews after the win yesterday, Kyle also acknowledged how important it was for him to have a friend from Oklahoma and "7 buddies from Seattle" with him in Arizona. Something tells me that one of our own was a part of the "7 buddies" group.

All in all, a spectacular day for Kyle Stanley (even though it wasn't easy with several bigtime shots from trouble down the stretch).

Well, I live down here now, but had a bunch of our friends stay with me from Seattle. We had a great time, and we were there every step of the way on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm sure those of you that watched heard the "Kyle Stanley" chants we had going. A buddy of mine kept yelling "WHY NOT!? WHY NOT KYLE STANLEY!?" Afterwards, Kyle said that actually got him thinking on the 11th green "Why not me?" As he was walking from the 11th green to the 12th tee he came up to us and said, "Are you guys ready for this run I'm going to make?"

Later that night, we went to his hotel to have some drinks. We were all jacked up on our way there and some people by the pool asked us to keep it down as we were walking up the stairs. We told them we were sorry but we were visiting our buddy who just won the WM Phoenix Open. They didn't believe us and told us to prove it. So we grabbed Kyle and his massive check and went to the pool. It was pretty funny to see their reaction.

Kyle is a great guy and is very humble. He's going to win a lot in his career.

GoZags
02-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Well, I live down here now, but had a bunch of our friends stay with me from Seattle. We had a great time, and we were there every step of the way on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm sure those of you that watched heard the "Kyle Stanley" chants we had going. A buddy of mine kept yelling "WHY NOT!? WHY NOT KYLE STANLEY!?" Afterwards, Kyle said that actually got him thinking on the 11th green "Why not me?" As he was walking from the 11th green to the 12th tee he came up to us and said, "Are you guys ready for this run I'm going to make?"

Later that night, we went to his hotel to have some drinks. We were all jacked up on our way there and some people by the pool asked us to keep it down as we were walking up the stairs. We told them we were sorry but we were visiting our buddy who just won the WM Phoenix Open. They didn't believe us and told us to prove it. So we grabbed Kyle and his massive check and went to the pool. It was pretty funny to see their reaction.

Kyle is a great guy and is very humble. He's going to win a lot in his career.

That's a great combination.

Also, wonderful story re: the pool. I'll get a chance to "shadow" Kyle at Riviera in a couple of weeks. Something tells me his gallery will be a little larger than the last time I saw him (Cog Hill outside Chicago last September).

rijman
02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the story KOzag08, that's great stuff. Regarding the chants, golf is so mental I'm sure your groups chants and motivation helped him get it done. After this incredible 2 week ride I'm interested to see what else Kyle accomplishes this year, now that he's got more confidence to go with that great game of his. Hopefully he won't lose his edge and focus after pulling down over $1.6M in 2 weeks, which can happen to younger players who get a taste of the big money.

former1dog
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Please, please, please Mr. Kyle Stanley, don't decide to now rebuild your swing. Dance with the girl who got you there in the first place.

GoZags
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Please, please, please Mr. Kyle Stanley, don't decide to now rebuild your swing. Dance with the girl who got you there in the first place.

Here's hoping that Kyle stays healthy -- as the most famous of rebuilt swing changes had something to do with a '94 knee surgery; an '02 knee surgery; an '07 knee surgery; and '08 knee surgery - stress fracture and other leg knee and achilles injury. (Note: I'm a big Tiger fan and last year also had to go through a series of lessons/swing change after a painful injury). Funny how a steep swing plane/big divot didn't bother my hand/wrist in my teens, 20's, 30's, 40's or early 50's -- but now have a swing that works and should hopefully last the rest of my life.

Angelo Roncalli
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Here's hoping that Kyle stays healthy -- as the most famous of rebuilt swing changes had something to do with a '94 knee surgery; an '02 knee surgery; an '07 knee surgery; and '08 knee surgery - stress fracture and other leg knee and achilles injury. (Note: I'm a big Tiger fan and last year also had to go through a series of lessons/swing change after a painful injury). Funny how a steep swing plane/big divot didn't bother my hand/wrist in my teens, 20's, 30's, 40's or early 50's -- but now have a swing that works and should hopefully last the rest of my life.

My friend GoZags is being a bit modest with his description of his new swing "that works." Two months after getting his new swing and getting back on the circuit, Kenny D won his Division in PGA Pro-Ams at Sahalee and the following week at Tacoma Country Club. Not bad for the old goalie (it's no coincidence that his old swing resembled Happy Gilmore's). Kenny is a former Zag Golf Team member.

GoZags
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks Angelo.

BTW, my "winnings" for those two weeks had 4 fewer zero's than Kyle Stanley's last two weeks -- but I'll take it.

http://www.wwcpga.com/wwctacoma.htm
http://www.pnwpga.com/wwc/wwcsahalee.htm

Also -- if there are any Boardmembers who are interested in playing (comp) in any of these PGA Pro-Ams (there are 52 of them in '12) shoot me a PM. I field a team in each event.

Here's the '12 schedule:
http://www.wwcpga.com/schedule2.htm
And the "Seniors" schedule
http://www.wwcpga.com/seniors2.htm

former1dog
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks Angelo.

BTW, my "winnings" for those two weeks had 4 fewer zero's than Kyle Stanley's last two weeks -- but I'll take it.

http://www.wwcpga.com/wwctacoma.htm
http://www.pnwpga.com/wwc/wwcsahalee.htm

Also -- if there are any Boardmembers who are interested in playing (comp) in any of these PGA Pro-Ams (there are 52 of them in '12) shoot me a PM. I field a team in each event.

Here's the '12 schedule:
http://www.wwcpga.com/schedule2.htm
And the "Seniors" schedule
http://www.wwcpga.com/seniors2.htm

Awesome!

Here's a thread for you, in case you hadn't noticed it.

http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=38114

KOzag08
02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I also told Kyle that he has a HUGE Gonzaga following and everyone loves him. He was very excited to hear that. And seeing that putter up close is great.

rennis
02-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I also told Kyle that he has a HUGE Gonzaga following and everyone loves him. He was very excited to hear that. And seeing that putter up close is great.

So awesome!

SteelZag
02-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Kyle can now go to WGC-Cadillac Championship (biggie, no cut) instead of going to Puerto Rico.

Skip the Transitions Ch. and catch Zags 1st and 2nd round games.

Bay Hill tourney. Tough to turn down Arnie. Will probably miss Sweet Sixteen game. Could only attend Elite Eight game if he misses cut.

Skip Houson event and attend Final Four. Maybe squeeze in practice round at Augusta.

Masters.

Best possible outcomes???????? PRICELESS

First post. Mid 1970's GU golfer, (no Conference Championships). Zag fans since mid '60s. GO KYLE. GO ZAGS!