PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin Board Material

Zag
01-31-2012, 10:13 AM
If I'm Coach I put these up in my locker room. When everyone is writing you off- that is when you need to play your best! This team has a title to defend and history to make.

1) Pom's analysis shows St. Mary's running away with the WCC.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/the_six-game_tournament/

(His blog has nice thoughts about the St. Mary's 3-point defense)

2) ESPN Watercooler discussion
"Let's take a brief westward turn: How about those Saint Mary's Gaels? Still unbeaten in league play, still rolling on offense, still leaps ahead of their West Coast Conference rivals -- particularly BYU, which appears unlikely to factor into the title chase now and needs serious help if it wants to get back to the NCAA tournament. Two things here: (1) Saint Mary's is one of the most enjoyable teams in the country to watch, and I encourage everyone to do so, and (2) Remember when moving to the WCC was supposed to be elementary for BYU? Not so much, it turns out.

MM: Coming from a guy who picked BYU to win the WCC (although I think that choice fell within ESPN's three-month honeymoon period), I'm amazed by Saint Mary's dominance. So many assumed that Saturday would change things. Put the Gaels on the road and they're a different team, right? Nope. They looked great in Provo. That move to the WCC hasn't gone well for the Cougs. Maybe the folks who persuaded BYU to leave the MWC were the same people who told Lil Wayne to sing. And what of Gonzaga? Is that WCC reign over? "

Zag
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
I for one am not going to stand by and be an after thought to St. Mary's.

Granted I have nothing to do with this team winning, but I will present motivational fodder with the hopes of inspiring those who do.

sullyzag66
01-31-2012, 11:26 AM
He's a numbers guy and the odds are he is correct. But as he stated, "While most games against the Bottom 6 will be lopsided, chances are that at least one of the Top 3 will be the victim of a major upset before the end of the season."

HighlandGael
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Seriously, the best you can pull up is a analysis from a well-respected, objective statistician like ken pomeroy and ESPN chattering from talking-heads?

Really? Doesn't "bulletin board" materials insinuate some sort of major slight from the rival team or its fans?

BTW: How wasn't the username "zag" taken sooner?

DixieZag
01-31-2012, 11:40 AM
"Zag" wasn't taken sooner b/c only this new person was smart enough to not assume what we all did, I find it quite brilliant.

Welcome "Zag" and I think this was an OK post, just your title was more promising than what you delivered.

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-31-2012, 11:51 AM

For the same reason that some extremely beautiful women aren't asked out on many dates. You assume she's taken

Zag
01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Seriously, the best you can pull up is a analysis from a well-respected, objective statistician like ken pomeroy and ESPN chattering from talking-heads?

Really? Doesn't "bulletin board" materials insinuate some sort of major slight from the rival team or its fans?

Gonzaga bulletin boards are a little more "high brow" then say a St. Mary's bulletin board. We are a University, not a College.

ZagNative
01-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Gonzaga bulletin boards are a little more "high brow" then say a St. Mary's bulletin board. We are a University, not a College.:lmao:

Das Zagger
01-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Gonzaga bulletin boards are a little more "high brow" then say a St. Mary's bulletin board. We are a University, not a College.

http://www.the-mainboard.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/edmond.gif

Angelo Roncalli
01-31-2012, 02:28 PM

Boston College is denominated a "college" too. Your point is?

HighlandGael
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM

While Gonzaga U joins the EXTREMELY PRESTIGIOUS company of interweb schools like University of Phoenix.

I expect better from the guy that discovered the "zag" username after 4 years of registrations.

Ekrub
01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
http://www.collegebound.net/blog/2010/03/03/what-is-the-difference-between-a-college-and-a-university/

According to that Boston college is an exception to the rule as there is already a Boston university

Sarenyon
01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
And there is a St. Mary's University as well.... in Leavenworth, KS.

JPtheBeasta
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Is it just me, or are there more Gaels fans posting over here since they started winning games? Don't you guys have better things to do than calling out GU fans for semantic issues, like finding Delly a tube of body hair removal cream or something?

SWZag
02-01-2012, 12:29 AM
And there is a St. Mary's University as well.... in Leavenworth, KS.

There are several St. Mary's Colleges

Saint Mary's College of California
St. Mary's College, Wilmington, Delaware
Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana
St. Mary's College, St. Marys, Kansas
St. Mary's College, Lebanon, Kentucky
St. Mary's College, St. Mary's City, Maryland

Rangerzag
02-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Is St. Mary's a two year college or one of the dwindling number of four year colleges?

MJGoGaels
02-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Precisely, in addition, there are several Saint Mary's Universities. Minnesota, Texas, Maryland.... so the "C" gives a point a distinction - also representing California, as well.

Alternatively, we could be USMC... but that would be Semper Fidelis, whereas SMC's motto is Signum Fidei.

Carry on.

Kiddwell
02-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Precisely, in addition, there are several Saint Mary's Universities. Minnesota, Texas, Maryland.... so the "C" gives a point a distinction - also representing California, as well.

Alternatively, we could be USMC... but that would be Semper Fidelis, whereas SMC's motto is Signum Fidei.

Carry on.

SMC certainly has stepped it up this season, just like the Marines. You've a great team, a team to be proud of. (This's in the context of Kiddwell having a lot of fun picking on Omar Samhan in past threads. So, fair being fair, Kiddwell's glad to offer praise where praise is due.) So, the flowers are for the Gaels! :adored:

On the other hand, Kiddwell's hoping our boys beat your boys in Zagsville, sweep BYU, and (at minimum) tie SMC for the league title.

:]