PDA

View Full Version : Bracket Busters

Krobbins34
01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Thoughts on the Feb 18th Bracket Buster game St. Marys @ Murray State

Once and Future Zag
01-31-2012, 07:02 AM
Going to be a hell of a game.

I suspect that will spoil Murray State's bid for a perfect regular season.

john montana
01-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Murray State over ranked big time. SMC by 15.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Any thoughts on the other WCC bracket-buster game - LMU v. LBSU?

realtydog
01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
easy money

willandi
01-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Any thoughts on the Other other bracket busters game? Hawaii at Montana. I know a Hawaii win would be to the Zags advantage, but I'm an old Griz at heart (in all games excepting when they play Gonzaga). I've gotta root for the Griz! Not a televised game, but with the free BigSky TV on America's One, probably on-line!

Das Zagger
01-31-2012, 07:33 AM
Gutty little dirtbags win.

Gaels, well, we'll see how well they're playing at that point in the season.

Zag4Hire
01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
There is no shortage of love for the Gaels around these parts and they have been impressive up to this point in the season. However, let's not overlook that they have one trip out of the Pacific time zone this year (lost to Denver). I am sure Murray State will be packing the rafters and it will be a raucous crowd (not that SMC is unfamiliar to this treatment). Everybody seems to firmly believe the Gaels get a win. Why? Murray State looks like a very athletic team that can get up and down the court quickly. G Isaiah Canaan is a great talent and I think this is the type of team that gives SMC fits. The backcourt is rocking over 40% from 3pt and three starters are over 80% from the charity stripe. The Sagarin differential is less than a point so this is about as even as it gets. I am not saying the Racers win but I am not so confident the Gaels win either.

The BB game that interests me as well is Creighton-LBSU. That should be a fun viewing.

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Any thoughts on the other WCC bracket-buster game - LMU v. LBSU?

Sorry, LBSU plays Creighton and LMU gets Valparaiso.

In any event, what are your thoughts about Monson's guys v. Grant Gibbs and LMU v. Valpo?

gueastcoast
01-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Serious question, not meant to be provocative -- GU (I believe -- please correct if I took away the wrong impression) used to play in Bracket Buster games, but effectively "graduated" from BB status a few years back. I would have thought that SMC after the Sweet Sixteen run and some degree of consistency in the last few years would have (or could be on the cusp of doing so) as well. Yes? No? Maybe?

zagfan1970
01-31-2012, 10:06 AM
I read that each conference nominates A team and then ESPN does the match-ups. How did we (the WCC get both St. Mary's and LMU in)?

Zag
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I think St. Mary's needed another game because their out of conference schedule wasn't that good. Beating BYU twice may turn out to unimpressive if GU can echo the wins. They live by the 3 and will die by the 3. Beating an over rated Murray State team on the road is good insurance when they swing in miss at the WCC tourey in Vegas.

bullzag23
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Serious question, not meant to be provocative -- GU (I believe -- please correct if I took away the wrong impression) used to play in Bracket Buster games, but effectively "graduated" from BB status a few years back. I would have thought that SMC after the Sweet Sixteen run and some degree of consistency in the last few years would have (or could be on the cusp of doing so) as well. Yes? No? Maybe?

After the way they've been left sweating in their seats and losing out on 2/3 the past selection sundays I have to disagree with this statement. If anyone (aside from Virginia Tech) realized the need for another strong OOC game or two it's got to be Randy Bennett

TheGonzagaFactor
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM

No. They've been to one tournament in the last 3 seasons. Teams like them are what the BBs were created for. Let's see them make 3 straight Sweet 16's and we can talk about them graduating from BracketBusters. The conference gets to pick it's teams before the season, which is why LMU and SMC got a day off from the WCC on Feb 18. I think we played in a BracketBuster in 2002 after 3 straight Sweet 16s. VCU and George Mason are in the BBs even with a Final Four appearance each.

Gonzaga "graduated" from the BBs because they don't need an extra game to boost their schedule and they have currently made 13 straight tournaments. SMC has made zero consecutive tournaments. They need the BracketBuster, we don't. SMC will be in the BBs for years to come, not that there's anything wrong with that. Creighton is way more established and nationally known than SMC and they are still in BracketBusters.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
I read that each conference nominates A team and then ESPN does the match-ups. How did we (the WCC get both St. Mary's and LMU in)?

Nope, some conferences have 9 teams participating.

sircreate
01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Creighton has no choice about being in the bracket busters

ESPN had the whole MVC in the bracket busters in the ESPN tv contract that MVC renewed before this season.. they can't leave if they wanted too without breaking the contract and getting there butts sued off

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
It's a win-win situation. If the Gaels win, it looks good for the WCC. If Murray State wins, then it takes all those SMC fans down a peg.

DADoZAG
02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
SMC has certainly lived and died by the 3 in seasons past. But the pick and roll has been the team's bread and butter this season (last year as well - and with Delly back next year too.

…and props to yah. It will be interesting to see of Few has the answer.

Go ZAGS! Beat BYU!

zagzilla
02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE= I think we played in a BracketBuster in 2002 after 3 straight Sweet 16s. [/QUOTE]

Factor,
GU never played in BB. The event started about 5 years ago and we were never invited for obvious reasons.

Glad to see LMU and SMC get a chance to shine and represent the WCC. I think both will win. SMC is scary good right now

ZZ

KStyles
02-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Factor,
GU never played in BB. The event started about 5 years ago and we were never invited for obvious reasons.

Glad to see LMU and SMC get a chance to shine and represent the WCC. I think both will win. SMC is scary good right now

ZZ

Bracketbusters started in 2003, this will be the 10th year.

A good look back at previous BracketBuster participants who've made the dance that year. --> http://espnbracketbusters.com/site/press/facts

bullzag23
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Factor,

ZZ

We played Tulsa in BB in 2003. I was at the game. The KC after parties made things hazy but I'll always remember the Tulsa game

ID ZAGFAN
02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Strange it's not listed in the link. I googled Tulsa Gonzaga Bracket Buster and got almost 75,000 hits, including one with the score.

GU 76 Tulsa 56

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/022104aaa.html

ZaGranny

rijman
02-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I will definitely root for SMC over Murray State to keep their rankings up so our coming win(s) over them will boost the Zags that much more in the rankings. LBSU and Creighton should be a good game. By now, everyone knows you can't take LBSU lightly.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Factor,

ZZ

Where'd you get that? Did it start five years ago or is that when YOU first noticed it? As has been said, we played at home against Tulsa in the 2003 BBs.

titopoet
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
There is no shortage of love for the Gaels around these parts and they have been impressive up to this point in the season. However, let's not overlook that they have one trip out of the Pacific time zone this year (lost to Denver). I am sure Murray State will be packing the rafters and it will be a raucous crowd (not that SMC is unfamiliar to this treatment). Everybody seems to firmly believe the Gaels get a win. Why? Murray State looks like a very athletic team that can get up and down the court quickly. G Isaiah Canaan is a great talent and I think this is the type of team that gives SMC fits. The backcourt is rocking over 40% from 3pt and three starters are over 80% from the charity stripe. The Sagarin differential is less than a point so this is about as even as it gets. I am not saying the Racers win but I am not so confident the Gaels win either.

Yet, Murry State had trouble with San Fran in Alaska. I don't see how they can handle the bigs of SMC. While I don't see a blow out, I do see SMC wearing down Murry State. Delly is the difference.

BobZag
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I said it before in another thread somewhere but SMC will wipe the floor with Murray State. #notclose

Saxon_zag
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Yet, Murry State had trouble with San Fran in Alaska. I don't see how they can handle the bigs of SMC. While I don't see a blow out, I do see SMC wearing down Murry State. Delly is the difference.

Yet smc lost to Denver, its irrelevant. This game will be close till the end imo

KStyles
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Strange it's not listed in the link. I googled Tulsa Gonzaga Bracket Buster and got almost 75,000 hits, including one with the score.

GU 76 Tulsa 56

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/022104aaa.html

ZaGranny

I believe that was the return matchup in Tulsa in 2004, as a result of the home-and-home signed for the 2003 BracketBusters matchup.

It looks like the original BracketBuster matchup in 2003 at home against Tulsa was announced the August prior to the game, the rest of the matchups were determined a few weeks prior, as they are now. WCC Press release:

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080802aaa.html

Here's the box for the GU's original BracketBuster game in 2003.
GU won 69-60 in Spokane.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=230532250

ID ZAGFAN
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I was going by the article headline:

Tulsa Downed By No. 6 Gonzaga In Bracket Buster

(The fact that it was a rematch is in the very small print at the end of the article.)

Thanks for the correction.

ZaGranny

kclubfounder
02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Pulling for our WCC brethren regardless of how much I want to beat them.

Think nearly every intangible will be in Murray State's favor (and home court is not an intangible).

Should be an awesome game.

Murray State by 3.